Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ReplayTV to DVD - MPEG Vs VOB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodrigt501
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: ReplayTV to DVD - MPEG Vs VOB? Reply with quote

How can I get my mpeg-2 files from ReplayTV/DVArchive/ReVue/RTVTools to play on a standalone DVD player that is a few years old?

Much of the discussion about RTV-to-DVD seems to be about burning DVDs in mpeg-2 format, that can later be streamed to an RTV; but, what about playback on older DVD players? When I examine the file content on a commercial DVD I see the VIDEO_TS folder with a bunch of VOB files; how can I get my mpeg-2 files to look like that? I'm all set with the RTV/DVArchive/ReVue/RTVTools connection and streamming comercial-free TV programs/movies back from my PC to the RTV; what I need is to generate DVDs that will play on older, standalone DVD players. I have just now began experimenting with "Advanced X Video Converter" for going from mpeg to VIDEO_TS/VOB, but it takes several hours per mpeg hour of content.

To elicit further assistance, my purpose is to aid a handicapped person that would welcome receiving a copy of anything I record with RTV. As I learn & play with all this I am thinking that the easiest may be to simply direct my RTV's output to a VHS recorder when I am watching a show... and perhaps later graduate to buying a DVD recorder to replace the VHS.

Thanks, your comments will be appreciated!

Tom
wmjoel
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people use the mpeg-2 files, along with any of the many DVD authoring software available to create a DVD, and don't bother with VOB files directly.
rodrigt501
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Using Ulead Movie Factory 3 Reply with quote

wmjoel,

Thanks. Later on I overcame my confusion by trying Ulead Movie Maker 3 and it worked like a charm; it provides an option to burn a DVD for streaming back to the RTV OR for using with standalone DVD players. This process automatically generates the necessary VOB files, etc.

Incidentally, per the recommendation of the Tech service guy at Microcenter, I verified that DVD-R discs have a better chance than DVD+R for working on standalone DVD players.

rodrigt501
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: