Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"server error"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: "server error" Reply with quote

I've been using WiRNS for over a year with my 5504, and now am trying to add a 5040 to my network. To keep things simple, I unplugged the ethernet cable from the 5504 and plugged it into the 5040. Since the 5040 was used, I did a 382 zones factory reset. I let it connect to the mothership without WiRNS to activate service, and got the 5040 to download the guide data for the nearest US zipcode.

I added the new replay to WiRNS 1.2.4 (the version that's been working for me just fine). I configured the 5040 identically to the 5504, except with a different manual ip address. Changed the zip code, and get WiRNS as an available line up. Then, when I try to save changes, on the Replay I get a "server error" with a "try again" message.

Here is what WiRNS tells me:

[2005-01-13 18:40:15] Ready to intercept/proxy ReplayTV requests
[2005-01-13 18:46:32] [DNS] Returning 10.0.1.3 for production.replaytv.net to 10.0.1.22
[2005-01-13 18:47:57] [DNS] Returning 10.0.1.3 for production.replaytv.net to 10.0.1.22
[2005-01-13 18:47:58] [DNS] Returning 10.0.1.3 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 10.0.1.22
[2005-01-13 18:47:59] [NTP] Proxying request to ntp-production.replaytv.net
[2005-01-13 18:48:00] [PLUGIN] NoSoftwareUpdate initialized.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at WiRNS.ZProvider.ProxyRequest(String message, Boolean returnHeaders)
at WiRNS.ZProvider.HandleMessage(String request, Byte[] data)

I've been trying to get this to work for two days now, and I could really use some advice. Am I overlooking something obvious?

Thanks,
Joann
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann:

Did these errors show up over the past weekend? If so, they were caused by the DNNS servers being out.

You might want to consider moving to version 1.2.9 .

Regards,

Wayne
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wayne. I had considered upgrading, but was trying to minimize variables. This has happened over the last couple of days, and the servers were up because I had no trouble contacting them directly. When I pointed my Replay to my WiRNS server I was able to choose my WiRNS line up, so that looks good, but I get the "server error" during the initial listings download. Overnight the Replay went out through the WiRNS server and downloaded the listings for the US zipcode, so I'm thinking it must be a configuration problem in my WiRNS listings. I've got the new Replay configured identically to the old one, and the old one still works (I checked).
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann:

Have you had a change in your ISP's DNS address or your WiRNS computer's ip address?

Have you assigned an ip address to the instance of WiRNS or do you obtain your IP automatically and let WiRNS use that ip? IWC, that could be your issue.

Regards,

Wayne
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne:

My WiRNS server has a static ip. I've now installed 1.2.9. My old 5504 connects fine to the WiRNS server and downloads guide data.

I then unplug the ethernet cable from the 5504 and plug it into the 5040. The network settings are identical, except the 5040 has a unique ip address. When I change zip codes the WiRNS server is contacted and the WiRNS guide is offered as a choice. Then when I save changes I get a server error, same as in version 1.2.4. I'm trying to use the same channel guide on both Replays, nothing fancy.

1.2.9 auto-discovered both Replays, which is nice. I just don't understand why I can't get the proper listings on the 5040.
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann:

Just out of coincidence, did you update your WinXP lately? Did the WinXP firewall get turned on or did any of your settings get changed due to an update?

Regards,

Wayne
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah..... try doing an automated connection and saving the settings. Then immediately go back and change to manual using the ip which was assigned to the RTV unit.

Regards,

Wayne
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, XP went out and updated itself and turned on its firewall, but I discovered that on the first day; it's been off ever since.

I tried your trick about manually assigning the ip after an automatic connect but still no joy. I tried connecting both before and after I remembered to also change the Replay's ip in WiRNS' configuration.

The 5040 is running the latest software, the 5504 isn't. Could this account for the difference in behavior?
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to harp.... but you do need to turn off the firewall on all XP computers which protect your LAN.

More than that, I can't add. But....

I see that the Dreamer is lurking about...... maybe he can help out here

Regards,

Wayne
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to reiterate, WiRNS seems to be failing in the zipcodeprovider.dll for only one of my two Replays. I've tried real zipcodes that I know are listed on zap2it and DNNS. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann wrote:
Just to reiterate, WiRNS seems to be failing in the zipcodeprovider.dll for only one of my two Replays. I've tried real zipcodes that I know are listed on zap2it and DNNS. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

I'm not sure if this has been stated or not, but have you restarted WiRNS and/or your computer?
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiRNS, the computer, and the Replay have all been restarted repeatedly. I'm running WiRNS in command line mode, not as a service.
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue is now resolved. I did a clean install of the latest 1.2.9 build, left out the nosoftware update stuff, and connected the 5040 only to the network. Once the 5040 had done its initial download of guide data I added nosoftware back in and connected the 5504 to the network. I now have good guide data on both Replays.
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joann:

Does your 5504 still have IVS/CA or did it update?

I can't understand how that would have anything to do with your db and guide data issues.

However, I'm glad that it is resolved for you and you are up and running.

Regards,

Wayne
Joann
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5504 did not update, I didn't connect it to the LAN until after I had added the nosoftwareupdate.dll and my shellcommands file and restarted WiRNS.

There seems to be something different about the initial call to get the guide that was tripping the 5040 up. Since the 5504 was always just updating (it already knew that WiRNS was the provider) I never ran into the zipcodeprovider.dll issue with it.

I also can't discount doing a clean install of 1.2.9.

In any case, if anyone else has trouble in a mixed software environment with a new zip code consider adding the Replays with the new software first. Sacrificing a small piece of jewelry may also be helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: