Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP WITH WIRNS TO REPLAY FOR VOOM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywoodj
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: HELP WITH WIRNS TO REPLAY FOR VOOM Reply with quote

help! i have struggled with this process for a week now and am truly frustrated. i have a clean insatll of WiRNS.1.2.4.WinAll. i have followed all the steps in the readme file. it runs the update and in the command line it looks like this afterwards...

[2004-12-21 22:03:19] Guide update manually initiated.
[2004-12-21 22:03:19] Purging old guide information
[2004-12-21 22:03:19] Update Time: 2004-12-21 22:03:19
[2004-12-21 22:03:19] Updating guide information in the database.
[2004-12-21 22:03:19] Processing guide information for: Tue Dec 21
[2004-12-21 22:03:38] Updating lineupmap for: VOOM
[2004-12-21 22:03:38] Updating lineupmap for: Local Broadcast Listings
[2004-12-21 22:03:39] Parsing PPV Configurations.
[2004-12-21 22:03:39] Processing ToDo Information.
[2004-12-21 22:03:39] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: Bedroom(192.168.1.102)
[2004-12-21 22:03:45] Parsed 9/9 entries.
[2004-12-21 22:03:45] Building ToDo List for: Bedroom
[2004-12-21 22:03:45] Refreshing plugin channel guide.

Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an erro
r: (404) Not Found.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at WiRNS.WiRNSService.DoGuideUpdate()

i am not sure if this is normal, so i restart the service and reset replays DNS to my wirnsip. not sure how to make the ip static, but it's always 192.168.1.102. replay reconfigures and seems to accept the new wirnsip. the last step - "Change the zipcode on your replay to proxy through wirns ** Your current zip code or U.S. zipcode in your timezone" - i really have no idea how to do this - i goto the replay config screen and don't know what to substitute for my zip.

does anyone else have so many problems making this work? i have used dvarchive for quite a while with great results. thanks
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use your current zip code and select the the lineup that you didn't see before.
heywoodj
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello - i tried to make the dns on the replay my wirns and after a few secs, it says replay got an invalid response from your name server. my router firewall is disabled, i am using winxp sp1 and am sure the settings are correct.

hopefully making slow progress.....thanks
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heywoodj wrote:
hello - i tried to make the dns on the replay my wirns and after a few secs, it says replay got an invalid response from your name server. my router firewall is disabled, i am using winxp sp1 and am sure the settings are correct.

hopefully making slow progress.....thanks

heywoodj:

192.168.1.102 is the IP of your Bedroom RTV. Your WiRNS IP is the IP of the computer running WiRNS. It is always best to assign a static IP for WiRNS. As an example, if your WiRNS computer is 192.168.1.100, make a second IP for the computer of (ex.) 192.168.1.200. Use this second IP as your WiRNS IP.

Are you running DVA on that machine? (or any other app which might request the IP of the computer)? If so, add a 3rd static IP (ex.) 192.168.1.230 and assign it to DVA (change the server IP in DVA properties).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Wayne
heywoodj
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne,
thanks again for the help. i took your advice went to linksys site to set static ip address for my computer from 192.168.1.104 to 192.168.1.200. i did this, it took and then went to replay and changed network dns1 and dns2 to 192.168.1.200. pressed next and it searched for 1:45 and came back with unable to connect. am i doing this right. the linksys site had me run command "control ncpa.cpl", then under the tcp properties, assigning the ip (not auto) to 192.168.1.200. i must be doing something wrong. thanks again
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heywoodj:

We're gonna get this. Don't worry.

The good thing about having problems at the start is that you start to see/understand things about the program that will help you and others down the "development" road of the application. We were all there at one time or another. So.......

Here's what I suggest.

-Have you got .NET Framework installed? If not, that'll be the first problem.

-Go back into your WiRNS computer's TCP/IP properties and make sure that you have set the new static ip to 192.168.1.200. Click on "advanced" and make sure that you still have the original 192.168.1.104 (that's handy for any apps which already call for that address).

-Make sure that your preferred and alternate dns server addresses are set. (your isp's)

***you didn't answer whether or not DVArchive is running on the WiRNS computer. If it is, make sure that you assign it a 3rd static ip (ex. 192.168.1.230)***

-Do a complete clean and delete of WiRNS on the computer. This means go into the Registry (WinXP: start/run/regedit and go to HK Local Machine/Software/WiRNS and delete all entries there. Then, delete c:/wirns and all subdirectories).

-Go to your ReplayTV and press/hold the Power switch for about 10 seconds (until you see the KMart blue light go out). Wait about 15 minutes for the RTV to reboot.

-During the wait, start the re-install of WiRNS. Make sure that if you are using Ryan's 1.2.5, that you have the latest build/fix. Check for that at http://wirns.zapto.org/ . Follow all of the directions.
(Actually, read them first. If you have any questions, ask them. There are guys around here that would love to help you out by giving back some of the stuff that they have learned from kjac, ryan, j.m. and cliffcor).

***One word of caution..... if you have a 55xx which has been hacked for CA and IVS, make sure that you go into the c:\wirns directory and rename the file "shellcmds.example" to just "shellcmds" (no extension).

You should take about 30 minutes to complete the WiRNS install. This gives you lots of time for the RTV reboot.

-When you get to the step which says to change your zipcode to make your RTV proxy through your WiRNS server, here's what I suggest (it differs from the Install instructions but it works for me). Change your zipcode to any US zipcode (ex. 10001). When it asks you to enter the providers for each input, ALWAYS, choose "Nothing". You will be prompted for each input and then you will be brought back to the Network and Input Settings screen. Select "Keep Settings". It will take you to the "Replay will be ready in 30 seconds" screen. Press "select". You will be back at "Menu" (for 50xx) or "Network and Input Settings" (55xx).

Now change the zipcode back to your zipcode or any other US zipcode in your timezone. When prompted for providers at each input, select the ones which you actually use. When you finish the inputs, you must "Keep Settings".

At this point, you should (fingers crossed and a drum roll) be a WiRNS-ite or WiRNS-jac or whatever kjac wants you to be known as.

Hope that this helps. If not, there are guys who actually know something who can kick you over the curb.

Regards,

Wayne
heywoodj
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wayne,

SUCCESS!!!! that did the trick! thanks so much! just a few more questions.

1. do i still need to keep my computer ip static or can i change it back to auto. for some reason, my wireless network is offline and before i troubleshoot, i want to eliminate possibilities.

2. does WiRNS update the schedule automatically? does it do this now thru my computer or thru it satellite? this computer is on most of the time while i'm home but not while i am on the road.

again, thatnks so much
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heywoodj wrote:
Wayne,

SUCCESS!!!! that did the trick! thanks so much! just a few more questions.

1. do i still need to keep my computer ip static or can i change it back to auto. for some reason, my wireless network is offline and before i troubleshoot, i want to eliminate possibilities.

2. does WiRNS update the schedule automatically? does it do this now thru my computer or thru it satellite? this computer is on most of the time while i'm home but not while i am on the road.

again, thatnks so much

Nice going, heywoodj.

Yes, it will, now, only process requests for WiRNS through your wirnsip. Unless the address chosen for WiRNS was previously being used elsewhere, it shouldn't have any problems with your wireless router.

WiRNS does update daily (roughly at 24hr intervals from the install time). Guide updates for your ReplayTV don't have anything to do with satellite. If you weren't using WiRNS, the ReplayTV would call into the DNNA servers to get guide updates, set the clock of the Replay unit, check for activation status, etc. Your ReplayTV unit is now calling into your WiRNS computer. It will get the guide updates from your wirns db (which you got from DataDirect when WiRNS calls out to update the guide data). Requests for activation verification and a few other things still must go through WiRNS to DNNA servers.

Enjoy your ReplayTV. Make sure you check this forum for updates, etc. Down the road, I hope that you can help out someone who is having some trouble.

Let us know the quality of your recordings and how, generally, the Voom service is.

Regards,

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: