Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does it all mean? I cannot understand this program...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amazingly Smooth
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: What does it all mean? I cannot understand this program... Reply with quote

For some reason I don't find Wirns as easy to install and use as I expected. I'm stuck trying to understand the terms used. Here's what I don't understand:

What DNS server do you mean on the main configuration page?
What IP address do I enter on the main configuration page?
What IP address should I use to access the configuration (127.0.0.1 works sometimes; 192.168.40.102 never works)?
What should happen after I click "start Wirns"?
What is the "monitor" program used for?
What are the plug-ins for?
Does Wirns have to run continously for the RTV to update every night?
Is there a glossary to explain all of the terms used in the Wirns interface?

I just installed 1.18 (I think) and it takes a long time for the icon to show up in the system tray (if at all). How can I tell it is actually starting? I'm on XP Home with SP2.

Thanks
docmcse
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: What does it all mean? I cannot understand this program. Reply with quote

Amazingly Smooth wrote:
For some reason I don't find Wirns as easy to install and use as I expected. I'm stuck trying to understand the terms used. Here's what I don't understand:

What DNS server do you mean on the main configuration page?

Use your ISP's DNS server address (your PC should be already setup to use it so you can find out the address by performing an NSLOOKUP from the command line or using "ipconfig /all" also from a command line).
Quote:
What IP address do I enter on the main configuration page?

The local address of the PC WiRNS will be running on (from your post that address looks like it should read "192.168.40.102").
Quote:
What IP address should I use to access the configuration [(127.0.0.1 works sometimes; 192.168.40.102 never works)?

The 127.0.0.1 address is built-in to the program and should always work (problem is it was only designed to do the primary initial setup configurations so it does not do all the user type things). Until you setup WiRNS to use your local address that one will not work (once it does then all of the user features will work as well).
Quote:
What should happen after I click "start Wirns"?

If you mean in the monitor program, then the only visual change will be the icon will turn from RED to GREEN. In the background WiRNS is starting up. Until the log file shows the information it is starting DNS it is mostly uncontrollable (should only take a few minutes).
Quote:
What is the "monitor" program used for?

To make starting and stopping WiRNS easier plus adding the other right clickable items to your desktop. This does not stopping you from bookmarking your Guide and using it directly from your favorites, but makes getting to it simple.
Quote:
What are the plug-ins for?

They do various interseption or redirection functions like hijacking the list of providers and adding in your own from Zap2IT and controlling the data which will be sent to your RTV.
Quote:
Does Wirns have to run continously for the RTV to update every night?

YES, otherwise your RTV will not be able to get out to RTV proper either since the mini-DNS server it is trying to use is part of the WiRNS program. If it is stopped, then it does nothing (including simple DNS queries).
Quote:
Is there a glossary to explain all of the terms used in the Wirns interface?

Sorry, but I personally have not seen one, but if you ask about specific things like above I can help you figure them out.
Amazingly Smooth
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: I'm not so dumb afterall... Reply with quote

Ok... I think I can get Wirns to pass some of my Zap2It listings to my RTV. I added DirecTV, Austin to my listings and only put in one station. I also have "local broadcasts" for my OTA HDTV stations. Unfortunately, only the DirecTV channel shows up. My OTA stations are not shown. How can I get the OTA HDTV stations to show up? Do I have to edit the database? What in the world do I use to do that?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Cheers
Amazingly Smooth
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it dawned on me that I could simply use the locals portion of the DirecTV account for my local lineup. I simply checked only the locals that are listed at their actual over-the-air stations. I don't know if this is the preferred method, but it sure is convenient for us that DirecTV is offering locals at their actual station numbers. Using this lineup and selecting Other as the satellite box finished this off. Now I just need a way for my OTA receiver to pick up all the locals with the cheap antenna I have.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could probably go do that as well....as I recall, at the time...it had the PBS guide info wrong....but as it works out...I never record anything from PBS from HD.

Because PBS-HD is primetime only and is different programming from analog PBS (and the SD digital PBS is also different...and runs non-primetime...on subchannels, which the ReplayTV can't tune to).

I mainly watch PBS from analog....and when I do want to watch PBS HD....it is more for the digital sound....

The Dreamer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: