Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aspect Ratio in display wrong

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnicholls
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Aspect Ratio in display wrong Reply with quote

I have a new computer. Both Windows MEdia Player and revue were playing replayTV files in the proper aspect ratio on my old system, but on my new system both of them play the files tall and skinny. I presume this is a codec problem but I'm too ignorant to deal with teh problem. Windows Media player says it's using a Roxio codec on the new system and a Ulead one on the old. I've installed all Ulead products but it appears they don't replace whatever codec was previously installed by Roxio.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

(I know revue uses the words aspect ratio in a different meaning... but I don't know what other words to use.)
sck_nogas
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem recently. So, I've had to start using VLC to play the videos...

It used to work on my Windows XP pro box, but then after not using reVue for a few months, I just tried to use it again, and... Everyon looks really thin.

Scott
sck_nogas
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also upgraded to MediaPlayer 10, and the aspect ratio is still wrong. :(

Other machines, play the same video in the proper aspect ratio, and so does vlc on the same machine, but neither MediaPlayer nor reVue plays the video with the proper aspect ratio. Maybe the interlace settings are messed up, but I can't see a option for changing it.

Scott
sck_nogas
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else suffering from this besides us? If anyone solved this, then please let me know, using VLC is a hack, though it works since it can't really skip content correctly.

Scott

Last edited by sck_nogas on Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
j.m.
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sck_nogas wrote:
Is anyone else suffering from this besides us? If anyone solved this, then please let me know, using VLC is a hack, thouch it works since it can't really skip content correctly.

Scott

How is using VLC a hack? It works much better than WMP for ReplayTV shows in my experience. It supports streaming playback and also supports commercial advance with the ReplayTV-customized version from http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/vlc/ .

Your problem with WMP/revue is simply that the codec it is currently using to decode MPEG-2 does not properly support half-height resolution files and, thus, displays them in the wrong AR. To fix it, you will have to find a codec that works properly and install it instead.
sck_nogas
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, cuz I did not know we had a tweaked VLC version?

Thanks for the link.

Scott
j.m.
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sck_nogas wrote:
Ummm, cuz I did not know we had a tweaked VLC version?

Thanks for the link.

Scott

You're welcome. My point was that using VLC is not a "hack." I think you meant that it was inconvenient for you to use since it doesn't support commercial skip.
sck_nogas
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hack as in "did not work like the old working solution of reVue" But not to deride the very useful and functional video player, VLC.

Please don't think I'm not a VLC fan, nor thinking VLC is not a great solution, just I was not aware of the ability to commercial skip in VLC, and thus watching video with commercials was a bit of a pain, especially while in flight in coach, trying to slide about 4 1/2 mins forward to skip the next commercial break without throwing an elbow into the guy next to me.

Scott
j.m.
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sck_nogas wrote:
Hack as in "did not work like the old working solution of reVue" But not to deride the very useful and functional video player, VLC.

Please don't think I'm not a VLC fan, nor thinking VLC is not a great solution, just I was not aware of the ability to commercial skip in VLC, and thus watching video with commercials was a bit of a pain, especially while in flight in coach, trying to slide about 4 1/2 mins forward to skip the next commercial break without throwing an elbow into the guy next to me.

Scott

I understand. I just didn't want anyone to be put off VLC thinking it was a "hack." (Some people think hack = bad).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> reVue All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: