Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with extract_rtv5, Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Other Software of Interest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Help with extract_rtv5, Please Reply with quote

I realize that probably everyone with any interest in using extract_rtv5 probably mustered the stones to do so long ago, and I certainly wish I'd have done so back then. But I didn't.

Sometime between 11/6 (last successful WiRNS connection) & last night, the HDD in one of my RTVs seems to have developed issues -- it was stuck at the "Please Wait" screen. Holding the power button in & soft rebooting it didn't help, nor did unplugging the machine for 15 minutes & then plugging it back in. I'm still stuck at "Please Wait." I didn't think the HDD was full, but I tried unhooking everything from the inputs -- that didnt' work, either.

When I've lost RTV HDD in the past, I've just written off the shows & gotten new hard drives from Mikeyboy. This time, there are some shows on this particular HDD that I really don't want to lose if it's possible to save them. Hence my interest in extract_rtv5.

Can anyone point me to any posts geared to DOS dummies that explain the process of trying to use extract_rtv5? I found this post by Henry to be very helpful (http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13999&highlight=extractrtv5), but I fear it's still a little over my head.

First, I think the most current version is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtvpatch/files/extract_rtv5/version%2081/
But, I'm not sure which I need to use -- I'm running Windows, so I think it's the 91.8 KB download -- is that correct?

Second, I understand extract_rtv5 runs from DOS, but does it matter what version of Windows my 'puter is running? I have a a brand-spanking-new computer that's running 64-bit Windows 7 Professional -- is that a problem? If so, I have access to a couple of older computers running XP & could dig out & dust off, but that would be a hassle.

Third, is it possible to pop the RTV HDD into an external enclosure to try using extract_rtv5 rather than opening the case to put it inside the computer? If so, does it matter whether I use eSATA or USB to connect the enclosure? If it's not possible to use an external drive enclosure, I can open the case -- I just haven't done it with this new PC yet. Unlike previous computers, I had this one custom built locally & the case isn't a "tool-less" one like I've always had, nor did it come with an owners manual with diagrams to tell me what's what inside. If using an external enclosure would work, that would simplify things greatly for me; if not, I'll open the PC case.

Finally, Henry's post mentioned this:
"BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO RUN ANY WINDOWS MANAGEMENT ON THE HARD DRIVE!"
Obviously, that's a crucial caveat, but how does one make sure not to run any Windows Management on the RVT HDD?

Those are my initial questions before I start trying -- I will greatly appreciate any & all suggestions!

TIA,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Saundra!

That post of mine that you referenced is my step-by-step instructions on replacing a bad drive yourself. This post within that is the instructions for retrieving shows from the hard drive (if possible). Oh, and I should mention that some people like to use the GUI Extract applications, like Extract and RTVExplorer. Those can be easier to use to simply extract the shows from your hard drive if everything is working well, except that they don't do as good of a job of making the DVArchive files (Extract doesn't make those files at all). The problem that you're having, it might turn out that finding the shows on your hard drive might be a bit tougher, so that's when you really need to use extract_rtv5 instead of those GUI applications...

If you're using Windows, then you want the Windows version of extract_rtv5 version 81...

It doesn't matter what version of Windows you're running, but newer versions of Windows require that you open the command prompt with administrative privileges (right-clicking the command prompt) in order to have extract_rtv5 be able to "see" the RTV hard drive...

Lots of people have no problem using some kind of external case or cable, especially now a days. You want something that converts from IDE to whatever you want to connect it to your computer, but most likely USB. Either way, the RTV hard drives are IDE, so most modern computers don't provide any way to connect IDE drives except to use some kind of converter. I use a simple IDE to USB adapter that simply plugs directly into the back of the hard drive since I have no reason to want to go to the trouble of putting it inside an enclosure since it's only temporary...

As far as not running Windows Management, it's simple if you just don't do anything with the hard drive under Windows. Some people expect for Windows to "see" the hard drive, so they start running Windows things and let Windows try to manage the hard drive, which turns it into a Windows drive, no longer an RTV drive. So, when you connect the hard drive to Windows, it's OK if it says new hardware found, but don't go exploring or anything else to try to "look" at the hard drive with Windows. Simply only run RTV programs, like RTVPatch or extract_rtv5, and you'll be fine...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry!

Oh, I'm so grateful you're still around & help! You've been a real gem for so many of us over the years!

Ugh -- you're right & have saved my bacon again. I hadn't even thought about the RTV HD being IDE, and sure enough, my three enclosures are for SATA drives. Figures, doesn't it? Thanks for the tip about an IDE-to-USB adapter because I didn't know about that, either. I hit my limited local shopping today & nada, so I'll have to order online. Any tips or things I need to be particularly aware of when choosing between the multitude of those available? Since I've got a Prime membership with an online retailer (don't know if it's OK to mention that kind of detail), I'll likely go that route since I hope to get going on this sooner rather than later & can get the adapter quickly from there.

In my initial forum searching, I did see reference to RTVExplorer. LOL -- with a GUI interface, there was trememdous appeal as a first step, but my admittedly quick searching didn't see anything recent about it, so I was unsure if it would work with more current versions of Windows, especially 64-bit flavors (which I fail to understand much about compatibility). Since your extract_rtv5 is DOS (which is mostly Greek to me), that seemed to me to be a more-likely-to-work-and-bypass-Windows-versions & more robust (for lack of a better word) choice, particularly given my reliance on DVArchive. Thanks for the direct link to the specific extract_rtv5 instructions because I couldn't figure out how to link to that rather than to the thread.

Thanks for the clarification about Windows Management -- I Get It now & will avoid doing anything other than run RTV programs.

I'm going to jump ahead of myself since I"ve not searched the forums yet, but it's looking like I'm going to have to replace the HD myself since it looks like Mikeyboy is scaling back -- he doesn't have the larger HDs I've ordered in the past. Are you aware of any more current threads anywhere that discuss which IDE hard drives work & don't work with RTV's? It seems to me I recall reading in the distant past that not all IDE drives work well, or at all, with RTVs due to firmware or controller or something incompatibility issues or something (that was over my head to understand).

Ugh -- assuming I can find a hard drive, then I'll have to figure out the imaging stuff. On the bright side, since the RTV in question is a 55xx & I'm using WiRNS now, I think I recall reading way back when that I might be able to get CA & IVS for this puppy

Thanks Again Henry,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslund wrote:
Ugh -- you're right & have saved my bacon again. I hadn't even thought about the RTV HD being IDE, and sure enough, my three enclosures are for SATA drives. Figures, doesn't it? Thanks for the tip about an IDE-to-USB adapter because I didn't know about that, either. I hit my limited local shopping today & nada, so I'll have to order online. Any tips or things I need to be particularly aware of when choosing between the multitude of those available? Since I've got a Prime membership with an online retailer (don't know if it's OK to mention that kind of detail), I'll likely go that route since I hope to get going on this sooner rather than later & can get the adapter quickly from there.

Don't you have a Fry's or BestBuy or some other such electronics store? I see that even RadioShack has them available, but the one I would get is online only. I would shoot for something around $20 - $30. You might find it easier to find an IDE hard drive enclosure instead, which isn't necessary, but would certainly do the trick. I have this adapter, but anything similar should be fine...

sslund wrote:
In my initial forum searching, I did see reference to RTVExplorer. LOL -- with a GUI interface, there was trememdous appeal as a first step, but my admittedly quick searching didn't see anything recent about it, so I was unsure if it would work with more current versions of Windows, especially 64-bit flavors (which I fail to understand much about compatibility). Since your extract_rtv5 is DOS (which is mostly Greek to me), that seemed to me to be a more-likely-to-work-and-bypass-Windows-versions & more robust (for lack of a better word) choice, particularly given my reliance on DVArchive. Thanks for the direct link to the specific extract_rtv5 instructions because I couldn't figure out how to link to that rather than to the thread.

What I'm not sure about now a days is that both Extract and RTVExplorer use extract_rtv5 to do their work for them. So, that means that they have to be able to launch a console application and be sure it has administrative privileges in order for it to work. I'm not sure how that works out in the newer versions of Windows, if it just works because the GUI application has permissions, or if you'd have to do some kind of trick to make that work. As I said, those GUI front ends can certainly make life a lot easier if everything's redily availble on the RTV hard drive. But, if there are any problems at all, you'll end up running extract_rtv5 from the command line so that you can run it with special options to try to get the shows you want...

sslund wrote:
I'm going to jump ahead of myself since I"ve not searched the forums yet, but it's looking like I'm going to have to replace the HD myself since it looks like Mikeyboy is scaling back -- he doesn't have the larger HDs I've ordered in the past. Are you aware of any more current threads anywhere that discuss which IDE hard drives work & don't work with RTV's? It seems to me I recall reading in the distant past that not all IDE drives work well, or at all, with RTVs due to firmware or controller or something incompatibility issues or something (that was over my head to understand).

It's the usual threads about drives that work. I would stick with the Seagate DVR drives, which are the DB35 and SV35 drives. Just be sure to get an IDE drive instead of a SATA drive, which usually have an 'A' in their suffix instead of an 'S' (like ACE for the DB35 drives and AV for the SV35 drives). I just this month replaced a Segate 7200.7 drive with an SV35 because it was the lowest price drive I could find with at least 200GB capacity (which I needed because I wanted to preserve all my shows, otherwise I would have used a smaller drive). There are a lot of pull and refurbished drives out there, so it's pretty tough finding new drives. 160GB drives are still fairly easy to find (which is probably what Mikeboy is using), so if you can live with that, I would probably go with those. I purchased 5 160GB DB35 drives from that place that I got the IDE to USB adapter, and I only have two left!

sslund wrote:
Ugh -- assuming I can find a hard drive, then I'll have to figure out the imaging stuff. On the bright side, since the RTV in question is a 55xx & I'm using WiRNS now, I think I recall reading way back when that I might be able to get CA & IVS for this puppy

Ryan posted information about a software update for the 55xx that makes it appear as the lastest software version, keeping the DNNA update happy, and supports CA and IVS. However, that doesn't change the fact that the DNNA net connect will turn off those two features, so you still need WiRNS to enable them. The only advantage being that you don't have to worry about software updates, and it also has the fixes of the lastest software release while still supporting CA and IVS...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Other Software of Interest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: