Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Idea For a New SHARE Program!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thajaguar209
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Great Idea For a New SHARE Program!!! Reply with quote

To any software developers this may concern,

I have thought of a idea that would probably become a huge sucess.

I use itunes and one of my favorite features is sharing libraries. Now what would be great is if we could apply that technology to DV Archive since it is already like a virtual Replay all it has to beable to do is look up host's IP address for there Replay. All you developers need to do is make a virtual Replay that can hook up with real Replay's IP addresses and then stream that data of peoples DVR to the receiver Replay as a local Replay on there own network. itunes 4.0.1 took that feature away so now its like replay already but if we could get it so people can create a community where we can exchange peoples play list. To get another idea of what I think that app should look like check out:

http://ileech.sourceforge.net/index.php?content=Screenshots

But it would be for video instead of music.

For the membership you should have a site that looks like this:

www.ituneshare.org or www.shareitunes.com

If order to get people to participate in order to connect to peoples Replays they would first have to load their collection on the site first.

If you worried about legal issues I don't think this would break any laws at all I mean itunes is doing it and thats with music. With TV shows you don't even have to pay for it. A person with an antenna could watch tv too! And to get people to buy replays instead if watching the shows on the computer make it so you can't stream or copy on your computer so it would be like a bridge between networks.

Also if this program does hit the jackpot it would probably attract more people to buy Replays and help the company Digital Networks of North America which I think isn't doing to well concidering there lack of new products.

I hope someone will create this!

Thanks,

Thajaguar209
JRWilliams308
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are missing a huge point. The Bandwidth limitation of even Broadband access is a hinderance. You can't stream Replay video over such small(relatively) pipe.

Here's the figures if you need to visualize this

56k modem - 56 kbps (limited to 53 kbps by the FCC)

ISDN Modem - 128 kbps (that's using a dual channel, 2, 64 kbps lines)

DSL - typically 768kbps downstream 128 kbps upstream

Cable - typically 1.5 Mbps downsteam, 128 kbps or 384 kbps Upstream

Now Your home LAN?

WiFi (802.11b) - theorically 11Mbps (although with the overhead you get something like 4-6Mbps)

Ethernet - 10Mbps

Wifi (802.11a) - 48Mbps (I think)

Wifi (802.11g) - 54Mbps

Fast Ethernet - 100Mbps

Gigabit Ethernet - 1000Mbps

You really can't get the best experience over a Wi-Fi 802.11b connection. You really need at least a 10 Mbps Ethernet connection. That's a little less than TEN TIMES faster than even a cable modem. Get it?

00004-54831-48961

00004-54831-47150

RTV5040
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bholio
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't is just be easier to come up with a standard naming convention for replayTV files and then get everyone to share them on Kazaa or something?
JRWilliams308
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of discussion will get you banned around here. We're not interested in ripping off anyone. and don't want to cause more problems for the Replay Format than already exist!

00004-54831-48961

00004-54831-47150

RTV5040
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: