Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dying Breed Problem: DVArchive, RTV, and Windows 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Dying Breed Problem: DVArchive, RTV, and Windows 10 Reply with quote

I don't know how many of us are still around, but . . .

Before I try to explain my current (extremely frustrating) problem, I'm wondering if anyone is still around these parts who might be able to help me sort out a new problem I've run into in Windows 10 using DVArchive to manage an extensive video collection recorded from our ReplayTVs?

I've had no hardware/equipment changes, so all I can think of is that either some Windows 10 update (I've been running Windows 10 since its release) or Java update has caused the current problem I'm having with DVArchive no longer being able to "see" my NAS and therefore the hundreds/thousands of shows I have stored there.

The last part of 2017 has really sucked for me, so the last time I know for sure things were working correctly was the beginning of August.

TIA if anyone is willing to try to help me figure out what's gone wrong with the process I've been using for too many years to count.

Saundra

(Note: I also posted in the AVS ReplayTV & Showstopper forum but have received no responses.)
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can help but I'm still here.
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreshears wrote:
Not sure I can help but I'm still here.

Hi Frank! I'm glad the lights haven't been shut off completely!

My problem is that sometime after 8/1/2017, DVArchive stopped recognizing my NAS (Synology DS209) as a storage path for shows I move from our RTVs to keep. It doesn't bother me that I can't use DVA to move shows directly from the RTVs to the NAS, but since the NSA is the eventual repository for the majority of the recorded content I want to keep (mostly documentaries and quilting & cooking shows), it's a pretty big deal that my master list (DVArchive) can no longer see those shows.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

FWIW, the above use is my only use of the ReplayTVs anymore; my spouse is a different story -- he still uses the RTVs the same as he always has! I personally have completely switched to our HD DVRs (3-tuner retail Moxis), but there is no way to "keep" recorded stuff other than to fill up those hard drives. When I think about it, it's really amazing that the RTVs -- and DVArchive -- still have a significant place in my life all this time later. Great technology I've never found a replacement for!
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of us still here.

One thing that may be worth looking at is if your Win 10 update tightened up the firewall rules between your system and the external NAS. Can you 'see' the files on the drive from windows, so it's just DVA that can't see the files?

Cliff
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffcor wrote:
There are a few of us still here.

One thing that may be worth looking at is if your Win 10 update tightened up the firewall rules between your system and the external NAS. Can you 'see' the files on the drive from windows, so it's just DVA that can't see the files?

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the suggestion!

I can "see" and play (using VLC Media Player, the "Movies & TV" app) the NAS files from Windows, so it's just DVA that no longer "sees" my NAS.

Nonetheless, I did try turning off the Windows Defender Firewall for the private network but still get the same errors in DVA:
12/31 15:23:01 ERROR: STORAGE:: Unable to mount path \\DS209\video\DVArchive\Local Guide_Docs in PATHS -- path doesn't exist, isn't a directory or isn't accessible -- PATH NOT MOUNTED
12/31 15:23:01 ERROR: STORAGE:: Unable to mount path \\DS209\video\DVArchive\Local Guide_Docs\Edited in PATHS -- path doesn't exist, isn't a directory or isn't accessible -- PATH NOT MOUNTED

I'm just flummoxed. I've been using this same setup -- including the NAS as storage within DVA -- for years. For the last year or two, Java updates have been problematic because every time a new version of Java would download & install, it would wipe out my DVA desktop shortcuts & I'd have to recreate them, but I'd gotten used to that. But this DVA failure to recognize my NAS as storage just happened recently. Grrr.

Saundra
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
12/31 15:23:01 ERROR: STORAGE:: Unable to mount path \\DS209\video\DVArchive\Local Guide_Docs in PATHS -- path doesn't exist, isn't a directory or isn't accessible -- PATH NOT MOUNTED
12/31 15:23:01 ERROR: STORAGE:: Unable to mount path \\DS209\video\DVArchive\Local Guide_Docs\Edited in PATHS -- path doesn't exist, isn't a directory or isn't accessible -- PATH NOT MOUNTED

Hi Saundra,

Not sure if it will matter, but have you tried using the IP address of the NAS instead of the NetBIOS name in the DVA path?

Sounds like a Java issue since your VLC works from the same computer.

I haven't had to start really supporting Windows 10 since I still use Win7 for everything. In fact, I went back to using Linux for running DVA and found it worked a lot better than Windows! Much faster, but that's off topic.

Good luck. There are still a few of us dinosaurs left!

Scott
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa4hg wrote:
Quote:

Hi Saundra,

Not sure if it will matter, but have you tried using the IP address of the NAS instead of the NetBIOS name in the DVA path?

Sounds like a Java issue since your VLC works from the same computer.

I haven't had to start really supporting Windows 10 since I still use Win7 for everything. In fact, I went back to using Linux for running DVA and found it worked a lot better than Windows! Much faster, but that's off topic.

Good luck. There are still a few of us dinosaurs left!

Scott

Thanks, Scott -- that was something I'd not tried. Unfortunately, it didn't work -- I got a "the path you typed doesn't exist" when typing it. I'll try anything, though!

It's (beyond) puzzling to me: in Windows File Explorer, the NAS shows up under "This PC," but in DVArchive, it doesn't show up under either "This PC" or "Network."

I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to at least try downloading an older version of Java to use just for DVA? I remember reading an old post by Henry (weird stuff sticks in my mind) about how to limit a specific version of Java for DVA.

Saundra
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundra,

My guess is that it is a Java problem so yes, that might work. My Windows Server 2008R2 machine (Windows 7 server) is running version 1.6.0.45 of the Java Runtime Enviroment. This is a 32 bit version.

I just looked and the Linux machine is running the same version.

Hope this helps. Happy New Year!

Scott
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew -- I think I have all my DVAs running again and able to see the NAS. Much to my surprise, the culprit wasn't Java as I expected, but rather seemed to be the Windows Creator Update that rolled out around the same time. Of course, I didn't figure that out until I'd uninstalled the newer Java, installed an older version, and still had the problem in DVA not seeing the NAS.

Just in case anyone else runs across this problem, I'm going to paste the link to the discussion here. Much of it is wayyy over my head, but but fully enabling SMB v1.0 (the client wasn't ticked) and then doing Forza Steve's step made it so I could manually enter the NAS storage paths. As least for now.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e43bdd35-6dc6-4182-b7a4-1b77cb7fc16a/following-upgrade-to-windows-10-nas-unit-does-not-show-under-network?forum=win10itpronetworking

Now, if I could just figure out how to not have Java updates wipe out the shortcuts on my desktop I'd be a happy camper.

Thanks for all the help!

Saundra
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it nailed down, Saundra. I'm thinking the Java Runtime Environment should not update when the regular Java does. I could be wrong. I do update mine once in a while but haven't in quite a while on the machines that run specific things like DVArchive.

Just FYI, this is the single line in my batch file that calls one of the DVA instances I am running. I'm running 3 on each of 2 servers, one Windows and one Ubuntu 12, iirc. Obviously the Ubuntu version is a little different.

START "DVARCHIVE" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -Xmx192m -jar "C:\ReplayTV\dva01\DVArchive.jar" --store "C:\ReplayTV\dva01\DVArchive.xml" --debug --log2file
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh -- interesting, Scott! I've always accepted Java's default updates, and I think the more recent (at least Windows) updates create a new sub-folder titled the version number (i.e., jre1.8.0_101, jre1.8.0_111, up to the current jre1.8.0_151) under the Java folder with each update removing the previous one. Which, if I correctly understand, breaks & removes without notice my DVArchive desktop shortcuts. It was baffling & frustrating the first time it happened, but I've gotten used to it over the past couple/few years.

Maybe a custom Java install would prevent the sub-folder problem?

Here's an example of one of my desktop shortcut that launches one of my DVA instances:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_151\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx366m -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\DVArchive\DVArchive.jar" --store "C:\Users\xxx\DVA\DVA_Docs\DVArchive_Docs.xml"

Here's a post I did a couple of years ago around the time I first started experiencing the disappearing DVA desktop shortcuts:
http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16957

LOL -- you are far beyond my limited computer understanding! I never was clear about what Java really was, let alone things like batch files or even how DVArchive works. My only saving graces with this stuff are: forums like this with people who like to help, I'm good at following instructions (even when I don't understand what they mean), and I'm tenacious. Otherwise, I'd never have figured out things like IVS/Poopli (those were the days!), rtv convert, DVArchive, WiRNs, or any of that good stuff . . . let alone cracking the boxes to replace hard drives & power supplies.

Saundra
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always used WinDVA to start/restart DVArchive. It has a .ini that you point to the java location.
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is never a good idea to let these beasts update themselves when someone else wants it to update. I have had Java updates prevent me from being able to access television transmitters and other equipment.

My favorite story is a number of years ago when Microsoft sent out the command to update everybody's Windows XP Service pack 1 to SP2. It was sent out at 5PM on Friday afternoon. The main television graphics system in use at the time ran on XP-SP1 and had not been tested on SP2. Every graphics across the country that had autoupdates turned on, got the command and died at that very time. There were quite a few NHL & NBA games that night, along with local newscasts that had NO GRAPHICS.

Updates are a good thing in a controlled environment, not when you come back from dinner for an 8PM ballgame where your graphics system has died because someone in Seattle thought "today's the day!"

Cya later!

Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: