Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raspberry Pi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

My 3 aging RTVs are still plodding along but I am beginning to worry about the hardware running WiRNS possible failure. I'd like to replace it with a Raspberry Pi if possible. Anyone do this already?

• A few years ago my watch died, as a result I find I now care a lot less about what time it is.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
My 3 aging RTVs are still plodding along but I am beginning to worry about the hardware running WiRNS possible failure. I'd like to replace it with a Raspberry Pi if possible. Anyone do this already?

I don't think it would be possible, considering that the
Raspberry Pi uses a different processor. It would still be nice if it would.

Does WiRNS run on Windows 10? It not, you could always install an older version of Windows (use a virtual machine if necessary).

BTW, My WiRNS setup is using Windows 7 on a VM with a Linux host (which is also running DVArchive).
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if WiRNS would run on Win10 - I have been running it forever on an old (well it's old now) XP machine. I've seen postings on the web claiming XP running on a Pi in a VM using emulation. I just wonder if there's enough horsepower there to get the job done.

Is your DVArchive running on the emulated machine or (since it's just Java) is it running natively on Linux?

The RPi3s are nice little machines that take up little space and make no noise and would be the perfect platform for WiRNS & DVArchive to keep my RTVs going a little longer. I built a Plex box for the longer term with a TV card that can record HDTV from 4 channels at once. I'd really like to take my current RTV support PC and relegate it to the spare parts bin.

Unfortunately, I have no experience running VMs on Linux or doing emulation on ARM processor machines so it's hard to push myself to try and make this work, just to find out the Pi isn't up to the task.

John

• A few years ago my watch died, as a result I find I now care a lot less about what time it is.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
I have no idea if WiRNS would run on Win10 - I have been running it forever on an old (well it's old now) XP machine. I've seen postings on the web claiming XP running on a Pi in a VM using emulation. I just wonder if there's enough horsepower there to get the job done.

Is your DVArchive running on the emulated machine or (since it's just Java) is it running natively on Linux?

The RPi3s are nice little machines that take up little space and make no noise and would be the perfect platform for WiRNS & DVArchive to keep my RTVs going a little longer. I built a Plex box for the longer term with a TV card that can record HDTV from 4 channels at once. I'd really like to take my current RTV support PC and relegate it to the spare parts bin.

Unfortunately, I have no experience running VMs on Linux or doing emulation on ARM processor machines so it's hard to push myself to try and make this work, just to find out the Pi isn't up to the task.

John

I have DVArchive running on Linux (with Java installed). I think I said that. I wish WiRNS was like that.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: