Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get IVS set up on WiRNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tirebiter
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Can't get IVS set up on WiRNS Reply with quote

I have WiRNS running at two different locations. Each has a separate ISP, IP address, etc.

The first location is running fine, except the puny i5 processor is definitely overworked.

I have a newer and faster PC at the other location, and it has been running WiRNS for a few years to provide guide data to the 3 RTVs on that LAN.

One thing I could never get working is IVS on the second WiRNS machine. I want to get it working so that poopli will recognize the box and list the shows on it. AFAICT, both WiRNS systems are configured exactly the same way. The routers and firewalls have the ports open for the WiRNS box. And even the WiRNS log files indicate that its show listings are successfully uploaded to poopli.

Here is the output from poopli on the "Manage Replay TVs" page:

Name Serial Number ISN Last Guide Upload (PDT) Recordings Last IVS test (PDT) Result Delete?
RTV5516A5AA7353049 00004-67153-07056 2017-09-21 06:18:48 1 2017-09-21 06:06:38 no unit found with this ISN in the database

There is nothing in the "Name" column, and I've figured out that the text in the "Result" ("no unit found with this ISN in the database") is not a poopli message because I get the same message on the IVS tester.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Dan
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you verify that under your COnfiguration, IVS tab, that Update RDDNS with local ISN: is checked?

Cliff
tirebiter
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did it!

I'm always amazed at how much power a single bit can have.

Thanks!
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. I was stumpted by that little check box before myself. Glad it's working for you.
Cliff
barmar
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an old story (from the days of IBM mainframe computers) of a technician being called to a customer site, and after being informed the problem he flips a switch on the front of the computer, which solved the problem. He sent them a bill for something like $500. When they asked how he could charge so much for just flipping a switch, the response was that he's not charging for flipping the switch, but for knowing which switch to flip.
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barmar wrote:
There's an old story (from the days of IBM mainframe computers) of a technician being called to a customer site, and after being informed the problem he flips a switch on the front of the computer, which solved the problem. He sent them a bill for something like $500. When they asked how he could charge so much for just flipping a switch, the response was that he's not charging for flipping the switch, but for knowing which switch to flip.

LOL, and that holds true for most things in life. Folks often wonder why they have to pay a craftsman (eg, plumber, guitar tech, etc, etc) so much for only doing 30 mins of work, where, if it was so easy, why didn't they do it themselves? The answer being (a) they'd probably screw it up, and (b) even if they were able to do it, it would probably take them all day to do it.
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
barmar wrote:

LOL, and that holds true for most things in life. Folks often wonder why they have to pay a craftsman (eg, plumber, guitar tech, etc, etc) so much for only doing 30 mins of work, where, if it was so easy, why didn't they do it themselves? The answer being (a) they'd probably screw it up, and (b) even if they were able to do it, it would probably take them all day to do it.

That's the "do-it-yourselfers" dilemma.

At this point in time, I think all (or certainly most) RTV users are DIY'ers.

Good thing they are so incredibly robust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: