Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

using WiRNS without guide data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ranster
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

My cable company has shut off analog broadcast, meaning that I can only record manually from line inputs coming from my cable box. As such, using WiRNS is useful mainly for clock sync. I don't see an awful lot of benefit from using a guide data service any more. Has anyone worked out a way to have a Replay connect up to a WiRNS box, sync the clock, then have the channel guide just show some generic info to the effect of "no guide data available?" What would result from having no guide update to WiRNS and then having Replays connect up to do their thing? Could this be a feature added to WiRNS?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use WiRNS to set the clock? Just point your unit to LaHo and let the "goodwill" service set your clock. (don't set up an account at percdata)

Have you looked into a IR blaster to control your cable box?
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

ranster wrote:
My cable company has shut off analog broadcast, meaning that I can only record manually from line inputs coming from my cable box. As such, using WiRNS is useful mainly for clock sync. I don't see an awful lot of benefit from using a guide data service any more. Has anyone worked out a way to have a Replay connect up to a WiRNS box, sync the clock, then have the channel guide just show some generic info to the effect of "no guide data available?" What would result from having no guide update to WiRNS and then having Replays connect up to do their thing? Could this be a feature added to WiRNS?

My cable company shut off analog Nov 15 2016 AND everything is encrypted. With the cable connected directly to the TV, a scan says I get 2 channels (75 and 77-998), neither has any video/audio on it. I use a few Replays (only 4 now). 2 With the regular cable boxes and 2 with the new mini boxes (Pace DC60Xu HD DigitaLink, which you have to connect to the Replay with RF and use code 1982).

I have JIT set up for about 35 different shows, which are recorded automatically. Some aren't on now, but will be recorded when they can be (ON ANY CHANNEL). I always have something to watch.

Guide data is just as useful for that as it always was. However, I think there's a way to disable guide data but still use WiRNS. Perhaps just delete your Schedules Direct login.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
The Robman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable company went fully digital several years back, which is when I started using DTA boxes to convert the digital signals into analog for the Replay boxes. I bet you can do the same.
prsa01
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
ranster wrote:

My cable company shut off analog Nov 15 2016 AND everything is encrypted. With the cable connected directly to the TV, a scan says I get 2 channels (75 and 77-998), neither has any video/audio on it. I use a few Replays (only 4 now). 2 With the regular cable boxes and 2 with the new mini boxes (Pace DC60Xu HD DigitaLink, which you have to connect to the Replay with RF and use code 1982).

I have JIT set up for about 35 different shows, which are recorded automatically. Some aren't on now, but will be recorded when they can be (ON ANY CHANNEL). I always have something to watch.

Guide data is just as useful for that as it always was. However, I think there's a way to disable guide data but still use WiRNS. Perhaps just delete your Schedules Direct login.

Can you please expand on using RF connection w/replay? Haven't heard of being able to do that, or provide link if easier"

Thanks much
DVArchive
Wirns
Zap2xml
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

prsa01 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
ranster wrote:

Can you please expand on using RF connection w/replay? Haven't heard of being able to do that, or provide link if easier"

Thanks much

At one time, the RF connection was the ONLY way to get a signal to a TV (it's where you connect the antenna / cable). Devices (including home computer) would have built-in modulators (usually selectable for channel 3 or 4) so you could connect that to the TV like it was an antenna, and select the same channel to watch your video.

For the most part, this is obsolete now. However, these little boxes (like the Digitaink) I mentioned may have no other output except HDMI (complicated to use here, and you can have problems with the "corporate paranoia" otherwise known as HDCP), so you really have to use that ch3/4 connection.

To set the Replay for this.

Before doing this you may want to connect to LaHo to update the IR codes. There's a way to do this with WiRNS (as I already had) also.

Connect the IR emitter to the Replay and put it on the front of the cable box.

Connect a cable from the RF out on the box to the TUNER input on the Replay.

Setup the TUNER output for "digital cable box"

You will be asked to select a code, the Pace box I mentioned uses code 1982. It has no "power" switch, so you can't test it here. It still works.

You will be asked for an input channel 2/3/4. Select the one the switch on the back of the box is set to.

The rest of the setup should go as usual.

Did I miss anything important?
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
Just that the tuner is in input, not an output.

(I realize it was a typo.. but you did ask!)

Happy New Year.

Robert
prsa01
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
prsa01 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
ranster wrote:

Thanks much

At one time, the RF connection was the ONLY way to get a signal to a TV (it's where you connect the antenna / cable). Devices (including home computer) would have built-in modulators (usually selectable for channel 3 or 4) so you could connect that to the TV like it was an antenna, and select the same channel to watch your video.

For the most part, this is obsolete now. However, these little boxes (like the Digitaink) I mentioned may have no other output except HDMI (complicated to use here, and you can have problems with the "corporate paranoia" otherwise known as HDCP), so you really have to use that ch3/4 connection.

Before doing this you may want to connect to LaHo to update the IR codes. There's a way to do this with WiRNS (as I already had) also.

You will be asked to select a code, the Pace box I mentioned uses code 1982. It has no "power" switch, so you can't test it here. It still works.

You will be asked for an input channel 2/3/4. Select the one the switch on the back of the box is set to.

Ah, ok - I thought you were talking about rf (radio frequency) remote control vs ir.

Makes sense. Thanks for the great description!
DVArchive
Wirns
Zap2xml
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: using WiRNS without guide data Reply with quote

prsa01 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
prsa01 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
ranster wrote:

Thanks much

Ah, ok - I thought you were talking about rf (radio frequency) remote control vs ir.

Makes sense. Thanks for the great description!

Glad to help.

BTW, I've had a Replay since last century (late 1999). I would like to think I would know if they ever supported RF remote control. It may not be as standardized as IR remote control.
Has a Replay 5xxx

The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first RTV 2020 in Dec 1999 also, then got a RTV3060 and several Showstoppers. Now it's all RTV 5040 units. We're finally going digital in a few weeks as we're getting U-verse installed, which comes with its own DVR. I haven't worked out exactly how I will keep RTV involved, but I do intend to as I want to keep using Poopli.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uverse Rob.. their DVR isn't terrible, but not as good as the ReplayTV of course. I've never tried to connect a ReplayTV to a uverse receiver, but I suspect it would work.

The last UVerse receiver update broke the IR code loaded onto my Cinema 7. Certain keys (select, fast forward) only work on the first press. You need to press another key to use it again. I haven't tried learning/decoding a IR signal to see what the problem is. If you get to it before I do, let me know.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that no other DVR will ever live up to the ReplayTV. I bet they all have the half page channel guides too. I have held off from making the switch to digital for all this time largely because of Replay, but it's time to make the switch and record digital shows in digital and play them back as such.

I hadn't really thought about getting the Replays to record from Uverse, I was thinking that I would just keep WiRNS running so that I could request shows from other folks. Not sure if I'll keep the actual RTV units in service or not though.
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When time permits, I'm messing around with getting the Replays onto DirecTV Now. It'll take a computer to decode the video and output it as an S-video output. The key phrase is "as time permits"!!
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I got my first RTV 2020 in Dec 1999 also, then got a RTV3060 and several Showstoppers. Now it's all RTV 5040 units. We're finally going digital in a few weeks as we're getting U-verse installed, which comes with its own DVR. I haven't worked out exactly how I will keep RTV involved, but I do intend to as I want to keep using Poopli.

I ordered a 2001, since at that time I was only interested in pausing live TV. They wanted to substitute a new model (2020) with twice the capacity. I got that one, and discovered how well automatic recording worked. That's THEME CHANNELS not the poor substitute of scheduled recording. I still have that 2020 but all the others I have are 5xxx.

The cable here went all-digital, all-encrypted in min-November 2016. I didn't really have any trouble getting the new mini boxes (Pace DC60Xu) to work with the replay. I looked in the forum to find out they were using code 1982. It's the first channel3/4 output I've used in years, but it works OK. Program guide works the same.

I don't know about U-verse, but if there's a working IR code for Replay, you could use that. One of my boxes is a cable company DVR (Motorola DCH6416) which works with Replay.
Has a Replay 5xxx

mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa4hg wrote:
When time permits, I'm messing around with getting the Replays onto DirecTV Now. It'll take a computer to decode the video and output it as an S-video output. The key phrase is "as time permits"!!

I first used S-video when I got DirecTV in 2000. I later changed to using composite. You don't get much if any benefit, and S-video connectors are much more likely to be knocked out. That's more of a problem with a DVR (like Replay) when the failure may not be obvious for several days.

What kind of video INPUT would you be giving that computer? It sounds like your DirecTV receiver doesn't have any output you can use already.
Has a Replay 5xxx

srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be wrong but dtvnow is a cell phone app. nice to something happenen here, btw HAPPY NEW YEAR!
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oookäy, it does internet computers, tvs, too.
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTVNOW is aimed at the cellphone users from AT&T since they are waiving the charges for AT&T cell users to stream to their phones. Doesn't help me because I don't use AT&T.

It is also can be used with any web browser to stream to whatever.

Regarding the S-video, I use S-video only because it is easier to find video cards for PCs that have S-outputs on them than composite, however, the S-output will not give you the NTSC chroma crawl inherent in the "Never The Same Color" system. (Remember Johnny Carson's sports coats in the 80's???) As S-vid is a marginally component system, it reduces the crawl.

As far as changing "channels" on the DTVNow system, having figured that one out yet, but as I typically watch only a very few networks (no sports, no news, no reality) VMWARE might provide an answer. As I say, I'm just experimenting with it while the price is relatively cheap. If they raise the rate, I'm outta there!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: