Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd instance of WIRNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billvv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: 2nd instance of WIRNS Reply with quote

Is it possible to have a second instance of WIRNS at a remote location, both of which use the same Replay, or do I need a second Replay? If so, how?
truckie36
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can access WiRNS from any web browser connected to the internet. Use your IP Address : WiRNS Port Number in the address bar.

00004-67777-64247 5K

billvv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have a second WIRNS running and using IVS on my laptop; the home WIRNS/Replay would remain on it's present PC. If I took my laptop to our cabin, could I share my home Replay for purposes of IVS, or would I need one at the cabin as well?

For accessing WIRNS remotely as you mention, does it work if WIRNS is behind a router and served with an ISP that changes my IP address occasionally?
truckie36
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote access would be the easiest solution. You will need to know your current IP Address. Try putting your WiRNS local IP Address in the laptop browser at home, that is the same functionality you will get at the cabin.

00004-67777-64247 5K

billvv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want my IVS transfer to arrive at the cabin, not at home.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running a 2nd instance of WiRNS on a 2nd PC is not a problem (running 2 instances of WiRNS on the same PC is problematic though).
truckie36
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, were you successful running a virtual 4K replay without a physical 4K replay on the network? I think that the OP wants to receive shows at the remote location with just WiRNS on his laptop.

00004-67777-64247 5K

The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's exactly what I was doing. I have WiRNS running as an R5k on a desktop in the basement and I have WiRNS setup as an R4k on my laptop, but I only run it when needed.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got four working, 2 each, adding them to each others replay guide enables u to access the others brouser completely from the one started with. that remote brouser is fully functional and will do things on the remote wirns.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, if your intention is simply to be able to watch your shows using your laptop in your cabin, there is an easier way. If you use the Firefox browser with the VLC video plugin, you can play shows from the WiRNS Replay Guide.
billvv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing my original question was not very clear.

What I'd like to do, if possible, is send and receive IVS transfers at the cabin via WIRNS and Poopli. I have a Replay at home, but not at the cabin. I'd use the current PC-WIRNS/Replay at the house, and my laptop-WIRNS at the cabin or any place I have internet access. My question is - do I need a physical Replay at the cabin?

I could probably figure out how to access the house WIRNS from the cabin and just have the house setup, but not sure about the feasibility and quality of streaming the house videos to the cabin; hence the question about a second WIRNS that I could use to move videos from the house or request them via Poopli.

I'd use VLC at the cabin to watch the videos.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your question was clear, I was just taking a step back to see if you were trying to use the best solution to meet your requirements. If your requirement is to be able to watch shows, using your laptop, that you have recorded back at home, what I am proposing will do that.

I take it that you've never access WiRNS from outside the house before, which you should definitely learn how to do. When you access WiRNS from home, do you use the internal IP address? (ie, probably 192.168.0.??) To enable external access, go to Configuration > WiRNS and in the red section at the bottom, enter a userid and password and check "Require Login:". If your internal IP address is something like 192.168.0.??, you should enter 192.168.0 in the "Bypass IPs:" box (that way, you won't need to enter the userid/pw when you're at home). Then, from an external location, instead of entering your internal IP address in your browser, enter your external IP address. If you don't know your external IP address, try a site like https://www.whatismyip.com/ to find it.

Then, to watch a show, be sure to use the Firefox browser with VLC added on, then go to WiRNS > Replay Guide and use the PLAY icon by the show that you want to watch, just like you would from home.

Just FYI, when you request a show from me during the day, when I am away from home, the reason that I am able to send it to you immediately is because I can log onto to WiRNS from anywhere in the world, I don't need to be at home.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem with Robman's idea is there may not be enough bandwidth for streaming. Using IVS to send the show to the cabin can take a lot more time to transfer.

Of course there are many ways to transfer files (I'm a fan of Rsync myself), but using IVS provides a nice GUI (I think... I haven't actually used it)
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would set up dva(at home) and use the same show paths as wirns. then enable the web brouser on dva and try that remotely. dva streames much better. its very easy to set up dva, just have to remember to turn its server on when going out and off when home so not to block wirns.
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, are you able to get DVA to stream outside of the local network? If so, how? And regarding DVA streaming better than WiRNS, Glenn fixed that recently, so as best as I can tell, their streaming is the same now.

Back to Bills quest, Bill, if you know in advance which shows you will want to watch in the cabin, rather than sending them via IVS, you could just copy them to your laptop's hard drive and then watch them locally using Windows Media Player, VLC or any other player.

But you're planning on being at the cabin for an extended period of time and you want to watch shows that have recorded after you left, if you don't have enough bandwidth to stream, you can send them via IVS using a 2nd instance of WiRNS, as you originally suggested, but it might take a while for the shows to transfer.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Dan, are you able to get DVA to stream outside of the local network? If so, how? And regarding DVA streaming better than WiRNS, Glenn fixed that recently, so as best as I can tell, their streaming is the same now.

i can get the dva brouser on my android and stream from it 45 mi. from my house at work. dont know if a computer can, ill take my laptop one day to see. dva streams with full functionality, wirns works but not aswell. no offense to anybody all these hacking apps are amazing.
The Robman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing I wish I could do with DVA is manage my shows from outside the network, like moving shows into different categories and channels. I can only do that one the main DVA computer itself (or via remote into that computer), I can't do it (as far as I know) from the DVA web interface.
Reciprocate
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Running a 2nd instance of WiRNS on a 2nd PC is not a problem (running 2 instances of WiRNS on the same PC is problematic though).

Thanks Rob. Had wondered about this.

DVarchive can download simultaneously from multiple Replays, but WIRNS is faster and less trouble prone. But I guess you need more PCs to run multiple instances
Reciprocate
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The one thing I wish I could do with DVA is manage my shows from outside the network, like moving shows into different categories and channels. I can only do that one the main DVA computer itself (or via remote into that computer), I can't do it (as far as I know) from the DVA web interface.

Easy fix? Put all of it on one network:

https://www.xoware.com/product/

Works well on some projects here. Can't see why it wouldn't work for you.

"Outside of network" then just a branch location.....

Uses StrongSwan with all the updates.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by outside network was, trying to work DVA from workm would this work for that? I like to move shows from one channel or category to another, which I can't do properly from WiRNS.
Reciprocate
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
What I meant by outside network was, trying to work DVA from workm would this work for that? I like to move shows from one channel or category to another, which I can't do properly from WiRNS.

Perhaps I'm not understanding the issue.

This box would only setup a secure VPN "trunk", so any machines attached to it would just see the home LAN.

For instance. Say you operate from a 192.168.2 Local LAN and have assigned addresses 192.168.2.1 - 192.168.2.200 to your home, and addresses 192.168.2.201-192.168.2.254 to a cabin.

Everything on that entire system would see the same LAN. All protocols would be transported to your cabin without change. So it doesn't matter what you set up. If it can be done on your LAN - It can be done on your LAN + "branch office" (cabin). Webbrowsers, windows remote desktop, telnet would all work without change.

This isn't like an SSL/TLS VPN. It transports everything. Draws about 1W.

Now I've never used those newer point to point boxes (soon), but the blue smartcard setup works. The point to point boxes with the ethernet ports should be even easier to setup since one doesn't need to muck around with VPN clients.

Under lab conditions I clocked that setup at 26MBsec (?). It will be much lower through the internet, but should still be enough for most replay functions to work.

The advantage here is no fancy changes. These boxes are plug n play. You hook into them - you are home.

Now personally, I try not to load down our Replays with lots of material. So classification doesn't matter here. Ours seem to bog down @ ~200 videos. But other folks may do things differently.

Ours get emptied with videos regularly thrown into one of these: http://www.snapraid.it/design

Big shoebox All storage systems inevitably evolve/devolve into the shoebox.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm away from my LAN (ie, at work), DVA is not accessible, even thru its web portal, so I have to do everything using WiRNS, which is accessible thru its web portal, and there are some things that DVA can do that WiRNS can't.
Reciprocate
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When I'm away from my LAN (ie, at work), DVA is not accessible, even thru its web portal, so I have to do everything using WiRNS, which is accessible thru its web portal, and there are some things that DVA can do that WiRNS can't.

This should eliminate that problem, and you can probably get away with just using that blue card & a software VPN client. You would simply use DVA as you would at home.

Now if your work LAN is locked down heavily, it's possible you still won't connect. But I kinda believe this VPN might be hard to stop. If nothing else. most corporate networks leave port 443 open, and most companies don't have the deep packet inspection gear to identify non browser traffic using that port.

Only creepy internet providers do that stuff.

Please note, I'm not encouraging anyone to violate company policies. But if no policies are in place, this is legit.
Reciprocate
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Thought about it some more, and recommend that you never connect to your home network via a company LAN. Use a wireless data connection or tethered laptop instead.

Why? Have you seen the reports of these ransomware infections? Think anyone lost their job over those hits - even if no standing policy regarding external connections existed?

Most corporate networks now are just security illusions anyway, with established poobahs bent on keeping their jobs (even when they performed them incompetently). So the first time something like ransomware gets loose - they'll be looking for someone to blame. (shrug) And truthfully - they'll have cause. It's *their* LAN.

Won't matter that they couldn't have stopped the infection even if it wasn't brought in via a secure tunnel. Your VPN would just provide a convenient excuse.

"From company" connections are a special case. Not worth the squeeze. For a cabin - this would be great. Ditto with a personal machine used via a wireless data connection. This would probably be as safe as things can get under those circumstances.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: