Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digital Adapter for 5000 with TWC in Kansas City
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Digital Adapter for 5000 with TWC in Kansas City Reply with quote

Am I going to have to get a digital adapter for my Replay 5000. I currently am able to get channels up to 72 (I think) and can get the others on my Tivos. Will I lose some or all of the channels without the digital adapter? Sorry for my ignorance, I found no definitive answer with the search function in the 5000 forum.
Bill
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely you will need an adapter if your cable company is digital. The replay's tuner is analog only. (The way signals used to be).
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir, I will get one for my Replay and my Series 2 Tivo today. I also saw that Cisco 170HD was recommended.
Bill
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to check out this thread: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16462. Also, I recommend using the Gary Gray's TiVo cable to direct connect from the RTV to the DTA without using the IR Blasters. Search eBay for "Gray TiVo Comcast" to find this auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-to-Comcast-DTA-Cable-/220627222273...

I saw you posted on AVSForum and got most of your quesitons answered. I will reiterate that it depends if TWC is gong all digital in your area whether you'll be required to use the DTA or not. They typically start by only moving a few channels to digital only, so that you need the DTA for those channels only. In my area the majority of the channels are still analog and don't need a DTA. However, I am renting a few of them anyways because they make the recording quality on the ReplayTV much better, and they allow it to record in letter box, which gets the whole picture. As was posted on AVSForum, they started out free, then a dollar, but mine just went up to $2.75, not the $2.50 that they reported...

One other thing, if you are using any TWC digital cable boxes where you are using a ReplayTV, the cable box and DTA use the same remote, so you'll need to tape over the DTA's IR receiver so that when you use your cable box's remote it doesn't end up controlling the DTA at the same time. That would certainly make a good case for using Gary Gray's cable so that it doesn't become an issue. Or, you'll need to place the DTA completely out of the line of site of your cable box remote, which is why it comes with velcro and a remote extender so that you can stick it on the back of your analog device. In this case, you'll definitely want to put it completely out of site and run the IR Blaster directly to it, or use Gary Gray's cable...

Henry

P.S. I moved your post into the Cable Boxes forum just because it was a bit more appropriate...
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for the very helpful info. I will buy the suggested cable. TWC in KC is going all digital they say so I got their DTA(2 of them). It is a Cisco 271HD. I will let you know how it works with the Replay and Tivo Series 2. I upgraded my Replay to a larger (160GB) hard drive several years back when the old one crashed. It has worked fine ever since. Since I have lifetime memberships on my DVRs, I try to keep them breathing for as long as they can survive. BTW, I do not use a cable box or one of TWC's DVRs. I previously had one of their DVRs before my Tivo days and then they decided to go to a new, cheaper software, Navigator I think, erased all my programs. Tivo became my new best friend along with my Replay. Now have Series 2, Series 3 HDXL, and the big Roamio. I think I watch too much TV.
Bill
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

40wnks wrote:
I will buy the suggested cable.

Don't buy the cable until you make sure the DTA has an IR Blaster extender input. If the DTA turns out to have an RF remote, then you won't be able to control it with the ReplayTV without figurnig out some way to translate from IR remote to RF remote...

Henry
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Update on TWC's DTA and ReplayTV Reply with quote

OK, here is where I am now with the DTA and my ReplayTV. I have the TWC-provided Cisco DTA 271HD. It takes the coaxial cable in from the wall and then will output its signal to the ReplayTV through EITHER another coaxial cable to ReplaYTV's Cable In connector OR by HDMI. i use the coaxial option but it feeds the converted signal to the ReplaTV on channel 3 (or 4, like in VCR OR OLD VIDEO GAME DAYS). If I put the DTA REMOTE to the channel I want to record and the ReplayTV to channel 3 at the desired time, it will record the aforementioned DTA CHANNEL at that time. All is very manual. The DTA only has an IR In. I have an HDMI "switch box" that might allow DTA to ReplayTV transfer but I do not know if this would make any difference. Anybody got any ideas?
Bill (40wnks)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it sounds PERFECT (that it has the IR in)! Now you just want to use it in a very normal cable box setting. You change your Cable input to be analog cable box, you select the Scientific Atlanta 0277 IR Blaster code, and for testing you put your ReplayTV's IR Blaster in front of the DTA's IR window. This will cause the ReplayTV to automatically do what you are doing manually. It will tune to channel 3 and send the remote control channel for the actual channel it wants to record, and it will have the proper Replay Guide and record the shows with their proper show information. This is all outlined in the User's Guide...

If that all works properly, then I highly suggest you get the Gary Gray's cable to plug directly into the IR input on the DTA instead of using the ReplayTV's IR Blaster...

Henry
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

I have hooked it all up as you outlined and have conducted a test recording and all seems to have gone well. The picture does seem a little degraded, could be my imagination. I have just ordered another cable from Gary and will proceed onto the Tivo 2nd generation when the cable arrives.
Thanks,
Bill (40wnks)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

40wnks wrote:
I have hooked it all up as you outlined and have conducted a test recording and all seems to have gone well. The picture does seem a little degraded, could be my imagination.

My picture looks FANTASTIC through the DTA, and anamorphic as well, so I get the full width! Certainly far better than recording straight from the analog cable!

40wnks wrote:
I have just ordered another cable from Gary and will proceed onto the Tivo 2nd generation when the cable arrives.

"another"? What was the first one? Are you talking about actually hooking it up to a TiVo? This same cable works just fine with the ReplayTV and the TWC DTA (it is advertised for TiVo and Comcast DTA), and it complete eliminates the need for using the ReplayTV's IR Blaster...

Henry
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Am I mistaken? Reply with quote

I am early on in evaluating the results of the DTA and Replay. So I can test it more tomorrow. It never gave the best picture due to the connection with the Red-Blue-Green composite video connection.
Am I wrong in thinking that I might be able to use the same cable with my series 2 Tivo? I ordered one today for that purpose. It will be used to connect the out of the wall cable - DTA - Series 2 Tivo - TV. That was the reason for purchasing "another".
Bill(40wnks)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Am I mistaken? Reply with quote

40wnks wrote:
Am I wrong in thinking that I might be able to use the same cable with my series 2 Tivo? I ordered one today for that purpose. It will be used to connect the out of the wall cable - DTA - Series 2 Tivo - TV. That was the reason for purchasing "another".

That's all I was asking. I said not to purchase the first one until you made sure that the DTA was IR controllable. So, I was confused between your saying "another" and "TiVo" that you actually meant that you had one that you were using for the ReplayTV and wanted another to use with your TiVo. If you already had the Gray's cable, then why did you hook the ReplayTV up to the DTA for manual control?

Henry
40wnks
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Trial and Error Reply with quote

I hooked it up for manual control because that was the next step in my attempt to try and get the Replay to record a show I wanted. Once I did that, I then came back to the forum to see the best way to utilize Gary's cable based on forum user's experiences.
I am a hands-on approach type of person who learns best by trial and error so if instructions are not clear to me, I dive in and see what I can figure out.
I will probably take the same approach with the Series 2 Tivo. Are you familiar with it? The IR port on it is "out" also. It has no cable card so it requires the same DTA.
THANKS for your help Henry,
Bill (40wnks)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trial and Error Reply with quote

40wnks wrote:
I will probably take the same approach with the Series 2 Tivo. Are you familiar with it?

Nope. But, there may be some here that are, or you can easily check out the TiVo forums...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

40wnks wrote:
TWC in KC is going all digital they say so I got their DTA(2 of them). It is a Cisco 271HD.

For future reference, my area is also going all digital (it's been a great ride), and so I have to upgrade all my Replays to having DTAs as well. My previous DTAs were the model 170HD, which worked great, but I also got the model 271HD this time around. At first I could not get them to work at all. But, what is very important that I want to convey is that you have to pair the DTA with the RF remote first, and then the IR input will start working such that you can use the normal Scientific Atlantic code 277 with them. If they aren't paired, then the IR input doesn't work at all...

Henry
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Time Warner going all digital in Mid-Hudson Valley NY; help! Reply with quote

I have the DTA 271 and I have the remote paired to it. I need help please filling in the blanks. I do not have a blaster cable because I was not using one; I had the cable line directly hooked up to the Replay. Now I have the DTA hooked up and activated. The remote controls the channels. Back on the Replay side, I chose Other for the cable line in, and chose Scientific Atlanta as the gox with code 277 because that is what I read in the forum. I can't test it because I do not have a cable. So here are my questions:

* what is a Grey's cable and where can I get one or should I get a blaster cable off of EBAY or Amazon where I see a few that say they are compatible to Replay?
* I no longer see any TV guide info so is that correct?
* My surmise is I will plug the blaster cable into the back of the Replay and put the end taped onto the front of the DTA to change channels-assuming I have a working cable one day to test this. I will leave the Replay set on channel 3. At this point, will I get a recording based on my Replay scheduled recordings where the Replay changes the DTA channel but not the Replay from its channel 3?
* Why do I not have any guide info? Am I using the wrong box in the Replay setup? I chose "analog cable box" and then Scientific American" even those the DTA is a Cisco box because I read this in another thread.

Colleagues, could anyone set me straight on hooking up the DTA 271, how it should be selected in Input and what box should be chosen, where I can get a blaster cable, and why I might not have TV guide data.inofrmation? It seems to update but really slowly now and no guide info is there. Thanks in advance for any help!
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's grey, but the "grey cable" that you spoke of is probably this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191554446582

You use it in place of a blaster cable, if your DTA box has an input spot where an IR cable can go.

If you decide to get a blaster cable instead, you can get those on ebay too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311514261042

As for the channel guide, we need a bit more information, given that the ReplayTV mothership is not there anymore. These days, we get our channel guides from LaHo or Schedules Direct, so you have to program your specific channel guide needs in there before you can see them on your Replay. You were previously getting cable direct, now your getting it through a cable box (ie, the DTA). So, do you have the right line up programmed thru SD/LaHo and did you select it as your line up when you programmed the DTA box into your Replay?
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I subscribe to SchedulesDirect.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so...
1. Did you program the right line-up for the DTA box in SD, and
2. Did you select the right line-up when you programmed the DTA box into Replay?
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I program the right lineup? It is the same lineup as before so I will see if changing it from cable to digital means anything. I really do not know what lineup goes with a Dta box. Anyone?
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wound up uninstalling and then reinstalling Wirns and that has solved the update problem for the guide. I left the channel on the ATV on 7 WABC here in NY and the Replay successfully recorded the show; playback was fine. So now I guess I am going to get the cable you suggested from Ebay and try to get the DTA to change channels per the blaster cable settings. I will report back about my results with the cable. I feel better now that I have the guide working and shows will record.

Question about the Grey cable: why are there two ends to the cable? I would think one is for the Replay and one is for [take your pick] a digital cable box or a DTA box?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really asking why a cable has two ends? If it doesn't have at least 2, is it really a cable?
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woe!!!
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guilty of looking dumb but not being dumb. I have been rushing around due to the usual stuff: family, work, etc. and when I saw the Grey's cable link to Ebay, ,I saw two different colored ends with a red arrow pointing at the plugs and two devices. My mistake was thinking there was a round, red plastic pod end with it to put in front of the device just like my Replay blaster cable. I just looked again carefully and see it is a straight cable, end to end. My apologies for thinking there was any similarity to the Replay blaster cable. But take at look at this Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/175-5468848-8907731?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=replay+blaster+cable where a few of the listings show a dual and triple head cable. On the Grey's cable I saw two different colored plugs; seeing all these jumbled together for me when I wrote my post; I thought there must be multiple blaster heads on the Grey cable (count them: two ends and my mistake, two infrared blaster ends. This is what rushing does; if I am confused, I confuse people when I ask for help and I apologize for this. I am a big boy; I can take my licking. Apologies for appearing dumb and if I wasted anyone's time. I understand why folks would say "wow" and I own it here. Sorry again.
The Robman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, in summary, a normal IR blaster cable has a plug on one end and a widget like thing on the other, where the widget sends an IR signal to control your device. There are also multi-head versions which let you control more than one device.

The cable on ebay is a very special hand made cable, with tiny electronics inside one of the connectors, that has a plug on each end. One end still plugs into the Replay IR blaster spot, but the other end plugs into the DTA box. So, instead of a widget that you need to position in front of the DTA, you plug this into the back of the DTA and it controls it that way. This eliminates the chance of any interference from light, etc.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkodgis, this has all been in jest... I didn't mean to be insulting... it just read funny when I read your post. If I offended you, I'm sorry.

Back to the joking "one hand clapping" discussion....

Good point.. Does a cable need a connector at the end to be a connector, or does it just need an end. If there is an IR LED at the termination does that count?

Would a cable soldered to itself (to make a circle) still be a cable? (I beleive so). It could even be useful.. would become a magnet if it was superconducting in a magnetic field.

So, at this point, I would say my implication was wrong. A cable without at least two ends *CAN BE* a cable.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkodgis, sorry as well, i saw in rmedem post and knew(or thought) it was a light hearted jossel. actually cable doesnt even need to have ends of some kind, it can be just a lenght of wound wire.
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no. I was not offended. I felt silly because I painted myself silly by rushing. The older you get, it becomes easier to lose track. I have to stop rushing around like an ant on an ant hill. Aside from that, I ordered the cable and I look forward to getting more once I test it for a few other units. I like the Grey cable better than the blaster cable because everything is going to be direct connection. My wife is depressed she will not be able to channel surf while recording. It may turn out hers will be a player and everything will get recorded on networked Replays in the basement. With her and the kids constantly flipping channels even when the red light is on at the Replay, recordings get interrupted.
The Robman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're still watching live TV, they're not true time shifters and they shouldn't be allowed to use any of your Replays!
dkodgis
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable came and I plugged it in observing green end in back of Replay and black end in back of DTA box. With Scientific Atlanta used as the digital box in the cable setup of the Replay, with code 0477, everything works. The channel changes to the desired station when a recording starts. I can control the volume of the TV set when watching a recording (first time for that), and the only drawback I see is wife can't channel surf if a recording is in progress. This will most likely be solved when I move her Replay into the basement out of sight and I put another Replay in with her TV just as a player or to network record shows. I thought this was going to be difficult to set up. Thanks to everyone's help, it was a walk in the park

THANK YOU!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: