Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backup RDDNS status?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Backup RDDNS status? Reply with quote

Not sure which Planet Replay topic this goes in, but since previous discussions were on the Poopli forum, I'll start here...

My RTV 5080 froze attempting to load a channel listing change; it couldn't even set the clock. Then when I tried force rebooting, it wouldn't even complete the boot. Until I disconnected the network cable, and that's when I discovered it couldn't connect to the network at all.

This is new; it was OK on Friday.

I had it set to use the backup RDDNS servers: 67.41.76.188 & 206.210.196.147.

But now that I look at it, I may have had a typo on the 1st DNS address.

And the 2nd server (backup-2.rddns.cc) is not responding to IVS requests.

Is backup-2 being down a known problem?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the backup-1 IP address posted correctly...

There was a problem with backup-2 yesterday, but I thought it recovered when I checked it later in the day. But, now I see that while it is running, it hasn't actually been doing anything since yesterday afternoon. So, I rebooted it and it seems to be working fine now...

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
You have the backup-1 IP address posted correctly...

There was a problem with backup-2 yesterday, but I thought it recovered when I checked it later in the day. But, now I see that while it is running, it hasn't actually been doing anything since yesterday afternoon. So, I rebooted it and it seems to be working fine now...

I confirm backup-2 is now responding to IVS.

Before I changed the RTV back to automatic, I noted the current settings, and what I wrote for the 1st DNS was 61.41.76.188. Maybe I wrote it down wrong. But more likely is it has been set that way for a long time (years?) which explains what happened when backup-2 went down.

Any idea why backup-1 doesn't respond to pings?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
Before I changed the RTV back to automatic, I noted the current settings, and what I wrote for the 1st DNS was 61.41.76.188. Maybe I wrote it down wrong. But more likely is it has been set that way for a long time (years?) which explains what happened when backup-2 went down.

Well, if it was ME, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my writing down '1' or '7' anyways, so my answer would be that I thought it was a '1' but it was actually a '7'. So, I couldn't necessarily know that it had been set wrong after it had been changed, just that it looked like maybe I wrote down a '1' but it was actually a '7'...

mschmitt wrote:
Any idea why backup-1 doesn't respond to pings?

Because it's not configured to respond to pings. All network devices have to be configured to respond to pings, it's just normally the default. But, you'll probably notice that there's lots of servers out there that don't respond to pings, because that allows for a lot of extra traffic, denial of service attacks, tracing, etc., for example, trying ping'ing Microsoft. So, it's not that uncommon to configure a server or firewall to not respond to pings...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Poopli All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: