Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting Help, Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject: Troubleshooting Help, Please Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone can please offer some suggestions about why I'm suddenly unable to move/download to my PC shows recorded on one RTV using DVA? The failure notice I'm getting is something like:

04/09 00:27:15 ERROR: Error downloading file /Video/1396811457.mpg from DVR X -- Failed to download entire file - only 12741786 of 1500461568 bytes received

This is happening for every single show I attempt to move to my PC from that particular RTV (no problems with the other RTVs). However, I'm able to successfully stream shows on that RTV to watch on my PC. I'm not having any problems with any of the other networked equipment in that room.

So, what's changed in the last month? First, we changed security software (from Trend Micro to F-Secure) & I thought perhaps it was blocking something, but I don't know why that would affect just that one RTV and not the other four? Also, I'm about 95% sure I've moved a show off that RTV to my computer since the switch.

Second, the hard drive in my dh's PC went belly up & I had to replace that. WiRNS "lives" on his PC (DVA lives on mine), so I had to reinstall WiRNS there. Even though it seems to be working fine, I thought perhaps I had mucked up the configuration somehow, but again, if that's the case, why would it only interfere with that one RTV and not the others?

The third change is the I upgraded the OS on my laptop to Windows 8.1 That has always connected to the network through a WAP, so I don't think would matter.

The "problem" RTV connects to my router through a switch -- nothing new there. Other equipment on that switch is functioning normally -- there's an Xbox, a streaming Blu-Ray DVD player, and an HD DVR (Moxi) in addition to the RTV. Just in case a port on the switch was going bad, I switched the port the RTV uses with no resolution.

I've rebooted my PC & the RTV several times -- the problem persists. I've rebooted the router, and restarted the switch. I've run known good Ethernet cable from a known good port on the router (it's the port my PC uses) directly to the RTV -- the problem persists.

I'm not sure what else to try -- any suggestions? I'm starting to suspect that there's some problem within the RTV itself, but I haven't a clue as to what it might be with this particular symptom -- I've replaced a power supply & hard drives, of course, but those symptoms were entirely different than this.

TIA,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could try downloading the same show from your dh's WiRNS machine to see if it is successful or gives you more information about the problem...

The only difference I can think of between downloading and streaming is the rate they run at, downloading can run at a faster rate. You could try decreasing DVA's download rate to see if it makes any difference...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry -- thanks for the suggestions!

hdonzis wrote:
I guess you could try downloading the same show from your dh's WiRNS machine to see if it is successful or gives you more information about the problem...

It was unsuccessful. Here's what the WiRNS log showed:
[4/9/2014 13:07:19] Attempting to download shows at 1:07:19 PM
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Downloading Frontline - TB Silent Killer
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] WiRNS SmartDownload enabled for CR
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: CR(192.xxx.x.xxx)
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Recording guide up to date.
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Parsed 62/62 entries.
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Added 152 ReplayGuide shows for CR
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] CR is not busy. WiRNS SmartDownload adjusting download speed to 1.2MB.
[4/9/2014 13:07:26] Failed downloading Frontline - TB Silent Killer
[4/9/2014 13:07:26] Error reading download queue
[4/9/2014 13:07:26] Finished downloading shows to C:\Users\xxx\xxx\xx

This is what the debug log shows:
WiRNS Debug Log
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Downloading Frontline - TB Silent Killer
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Downloading ndx
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Downloading evt
[4/9/2014 13:07:20] Downloading mpg
[4/9/2014 13:07:26] Download Later: System.IO.IOException: Frontline - TB Silent Killer: Files not all completely downloaded. ---> System.IO.IOException: I/O error occurred.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at WiRNS.DLTimer.StartDownload()

It's Greek to me -- does it mean anything to you?

hdonzis wrote:
The only difference I can think of between downloading and streaming is the rate they run at, downloading can run at a faster rate. You could try decreasing DVA's download rate to see if it makes any difference...

Shooting blind here, but the download speed in DVA was set to 375 kb/s, so I decreased it to 300 kb/s, and it still failed. Should I try decreasing the download speed further, and if so, can you suggest a speed?

Thanks,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looks like your dh's WiRNS isn't up to date. Try updating it and then try the download again. The debug.log will hopefully have better information once you upgrade...

Sure, try decreasing the download speed even further. I'm not sure what would be a good speed, but why not try something like 150Kbps...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry -- I'll try both later this evening!
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
I looks like your dh's WiRNS isn't up to date. Try updating it and then try the download again. The debug.log will hopefully have better information once you upgrade...

LOL -- I didn't realize I hadn't downloaded & installed the most recent WiRNS, so thanks for that head's up. And, I don't use WiRNS for anything other than serving the guides to the RTVs, so maybe there's a configuration setting I need to fix, but this is what the debug log shows now:

at WiRNS.DLTimer.StartDownload()
[4/9/2014 19:05:53] Failed to get httpfs-fstat for: /Video/1396169997.mpg at 192.xxx.x.xxx
[4/9/2014 19:05:55] Failed to get httpfs-fstat for: /Video/1396169997.evt at 192.168.1.40
[4/9/2014 19:05:57] Failed to get httpfs-fstat for: /Video/1396169997.ndx at 192.168.1.40

Does that mean anything to you?

Now, the WiRNS log seems to show something different now than before -- I'll include it in case it's helpful:

[4/9/2014 19:05:58] Configured to download shows at: 11:00 PM
[4/9/2014 19:06:05] Attempting to download shows at 7:06:05 PM
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Total show size (18446744073709551613) is not available in show path: C:\Users\xxx\xxx\xx\ (1953085632512)
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Total show size (18446744073709551613) is not available in show path: C:\Users\xxx\xxx\xx\ (1953085632512)
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Total show size (18446744073709551613) is not available in show path: C:\WiRNS\Shows\ (1953085632512)
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Not downloading Frontline - TB Silent Killer (17592186044415MB). Not enough disk space.
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Error reading download queue
[4/9/2014 19:06:06] Finished downloading shows to NOT_ENUF_SPACE.

I have no idea about the NOT_ENUF_SPACE thing -- is there somewhere inside WiRNS I need to increase a space quota? Certainly, there's no actual lack of disk space -- that hard drive has 1.77 TB free space.

FWIW, I tried downloading shows from other than the problem RTV using WiRNS, and that didn't work, either (same type of log entries), so I must not have something properly configured there. <sigh> I've never learned more about WiRNS than how to have it serve the Guide to the Replays. If you want to tell me what I need to do, I'll do it; otherwise, I can try to find time over the next few days to try to figure it out myself by reading forum posts & then retry

hdonzis wrote:
Sure, try decreasing the download speed even further. I'm not sure what would be a good speed, but why not try something like 150Kbps...

So, I tried that. First, I went down to 150 Kbps, then 75, and finally 50 -- none of it worked.

And, because they are things I hadn't tried before, I also tried when the computer where WiRNS lives was shut down (in case there was some new conflict) -- that didn't work. I also tried changing the Storage Path in DVA in case there was some problem -- that didn't work.

I continue to be able to successfully move shows from the other four RTVs to my PC with DVA -- it's just the one RTV that isn't working.

I'll appreciate any additional suggestions -- thanks!

Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that WiRNS would help pinpoint the problem. Unfortunately, your saying that WiRNS can't download from any of your RTVs doesn't help. The info you posted shows that WiRNS is not able to communicate properly with that RTV. The NOT_ENUF_SPACE thing is that because it wasn't able to get the show size from the RTV, it thinks it wants to download a show that much bigger that your hard drive (18446744073709551613 is much larger than 1.77TB = 1770000000000)...

And, it seems kind of strange that WiRNS would be operating properly with your RTVs if it having this kind of problem. Maybe you are having a different kind of problem. Try opening a command prompt and enter "ping 192.168.1.40" and see if that is successful. Then try opening a browser and entering "http://192.168.1.40/Device_Descr.xml" (or, just click on the link here) and see if you get an XML reponse...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGH -- I think you were correct that I was having a different kind of problem . . . I think the hard drive has now failed. I was in the process of writing the below when one of the shows I was able to stream but not move the other night suddenly stopped about 3 minutes in. I went to the RTV itself to see if it quit at the same place, and the RTV froze up. I held the power button in to get it to reboot, and I was stuck on the "Please wait" screen for a long time. I then pulled the plug, waited for 20 minutes or so & hoped against hope, and then plugged it back in to continue to be stuck at the "Please wait" screen.

Darn, darn, darn. The last time I had to replace a RTV hard drive a couple of years ago, I had the devil's own time finding a replacement & have since forgotten everything I learned -- it literally took me hours & hours & hours not to mention much angst . . . and then there was the whole image part. I generally don't mind a challenge, but it was a painful experience because even finding the blasted drive was monkey on my back for weeks. From a quick look, the situation seems even worse than before. Darn Mikeyboy for abandoning me. Or, as my dd would say . . . on second thought, I'll leave that unsaid because I don't want to offend anyone with the three letter acronym.

I'm going to go ahead & post the below in case it helps someone else in the future who experiences similar symptoms. For those with a better grasp on hardware than I could ever hope to have, a failing hard drive might have been higher on the troubleshooting list, but it just didn't occur to me.
___

So, for some reason, WiRNS can't get a correct show size from any of my RTVs since it gave a similar error for each show I tried (one from each RVT). Weird -- a problem I didn't even know I had

I had tried pinging the problem RTV before I posted & it pings fine -- I just rechecked & there continues to be no problem. With respect to the XML response -- I think that's fine, too: it shows the same kind of info as the other RTVs.

There were a couple of other troubleshooting steps I tried before posting (ping -t, tracert, and arp -a), and I didn't see anything amiss there, either, assuming I understood what I was looking for.

I just don't get it. I don't think there's a networking issue that's suddenly appeared, but I don't know what else would cause this particular symptom.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess we should continue the WiRNS discussion in the WiRNS forum, but it all seems very strange to me...

Sorry about the HD thing! I saw your post on AVSForum, and I really feel for you! I just looked on eBay, and all I saw was a lot of used drives and seller refurbished drives. You should also look for SV35 drives in addition to DB35 drive. You might just purchase several and hope that you get something working. They seem to be around 30 bucks, so you might just have to take a chance. Or take Robert's suggestion of just purchasing a used 5xxx for parts...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: