Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Comcast DTA setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Comcast DTA setup Reply with quote

My ReplayTV 5080 relies on the Comcast RF coax cable to get information and it is now unable to decipher the analog signal.

I have two Comcast DTAs: DCI105COM1 and DCI1011COM.

I see there are multiple solutions to update, all seemingly involving adding codes to the Replay. They seem somewhat complicated and involve multiple threads to follow.

What is the easiest way to get the Replay to control the DTA and receive its signal?

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box...
Pete
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to follow the instructions at the bottom of this post to easily add the new code with no fuss! There's even a video posted that shows you how to do it!

Henry
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was easy. No fuss is right.

The one thing I had to correct was to have the DTA channel setting (3) match the setting in the Replay setup.

An automated DTA activation phone call was also required.

Thanks, Henry.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
The one thing I had to correct was to have the DTA channel setting (3) match the setting in the Replay setup.

When you change the Replay's input setting, it asks you which channel you have the cable box set for (2, 3, or 4). So, you can set the switch on the DTA any way you like, and then you are supposed to tell the Replay which channel you set it for, not the other way around...

pwreimers wrote:
An automated DTA activation phone call was also required.

Or, you can log into your account and activate it from there. That should have been part of the DTA instructions...

Henry
Alain
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, 10 years since my last post. Guess my 2 replays have just been fine...

Comcast switch to digital only forced me to get a DAT DCI105COM1 for them but I cannot get them to switch channels (where direct cable before).

I followed the instruction to switch to DNS 207.58.129.219 to get the updated IR file, I can see new LiHo menu item, then picked comcast digital box with 1982 code as mentioned, have bought an IR blaster on ebay (by replay box is long gone) plugged into the back and glued to the front on the box (I can see the LED light up) but no matter what IR code it won't switch channel.

Anybody else having issues ?
what am I missing...

5100 (5040 with WD 100 SE)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be able to see the IR LED light up without using a digital camera. It could be that the IR Blaster you purchased isn't the correct one for your ReplayTV. It should definitely work properly selecting Comcast code 1982. I would suspect the IR Blaster your purchased, and rather than mess with that at all, I would highly recommend using the Gary Gray's cable to directly connect from the ReplayTV to the Comcast DTA. I have purchased 11 of these now, and they work every time!

Henry
Alain
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, thanks. I was thinking of getting one of those direct cable, but since I have multiple replay I went for the cheaper option IR cable .

EDIT: FYI those cables work great so far and glue right on (not ugly mess) and $4/each shipped was a no brainner to me.

Also that cable looks like maybe it is just a direct electrical wiring (connecting the plugs directly - have you tried using an ohm meter to see if there's a direct electrical connection ? I would like to know what pin connect to what) rather then LED/Receiver built into the tivo side as this design ?

I think the IR blaster must have a red LED as well to let you know when it's working (it's enclosed) and thought they were generic.

Q: is code 1982 only available after connecting to perc site or was it always there but needed to be updated ? I connected there before as my devices had not been getting scheduling for a year (had to clear data in 243-zone menu) thinking it was replay that went out for good.

Last edited by Alain on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain wrote:
Henry, thanks. I was thinking of getting one of those direct cable, but since I have multiple replay I went for the cheaper option IR cable .

If you ask the seller, Gary Gray, a question, he can likely give you a quantity price. Please be sure and tell him that Henry sent you!

Alain wrote:
Also that cable looks like maybe it is just a direct electrical wiring (connecting the plugs directly - have you tried using an ohm meter to see if there's a direct electrical connection ? I would like to know what pin connect to what) rather then LED/Receiver built into the tivo side as this design ?

It is not a direct connection, it has electronics in it. He has a website somewhere with the actual schematic, you can search for it here or AVSForum. That other aution is probably similar, it's not an LED/Reciever as far as I can tell...

*UPDATE* I did you a favor and found it for you here...

Alain wrote:
I think the IR blaster must have a red LED as well to let you know when it's working (it's enclosed) and thought they were generic.

I can't tell from looking at it that it has a separate LED to tell you it's working. But, they are certainly not generic, you need one that's for the ReplayTV. If you have a digital camera, you may be able to tell if it's working properly or not. Although, if it also has a separate LED indicator, then it may be very difficult to see if the IR LED is operating as well. It also may be that you placed the blaster in the wrong place on your DTA. If you watch the video linked in that LaHo instructions post, it gives you some suggestions of placing the blaster...

Alain wrote:
Q: is code 1982 only available after connecting to perc site or was it always there but needed to be updated ? I connected there before as my devices had not been getting scheduling for a year (had to clear data in 243-zone menu) thinking it was replay that went out for good.

Yes, both the selection Comcast and the code 1982 are only available after you successfully net connected to LaHo. Although, the last time I see anyone getting the upgrade from LaHo was October 9th, and you posted October 11th, so I can't be sure. But, if you saw the registration showing LaHo and you have both the Comcast selection and code 1982, then it seems that you must have upgraded successfully...

Henry
Alain
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, thank you for all the info!

sweet it works. Watching the video again I noticed he picked up PACE 1982, I was doing Comcast 1982 (I have a DCI105COM1) I also switched to Chanel 4 on box/replay but that likely doesn't matter.

My IR blaster glues directly on the glass (so it's neat), and I used a flash light to see where the LED was (right center of the box) to put it over. Nice thing is I can re-use for other boxes like the digital HD ones I use for my TVs that do not have IR plug in the back.

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain wrote:
sweet it works. Watching the video again I noticed he picked up PACE 1982, I was doing Comcast 1982 (I have a DCI105COM1) I also switched to Chanel 4 on box/replay but that likely doesn't matter.

As I commented in the post after the post about the video, there is no Pace 1982, he selected Pace and then Other, and then 1982. Once you select Other, it doesn't matter where you come from, you get the entire list of all blaster codes. Going thourgh Comcast 1982 is a much quicker method than going through Other and then having to scroll all the way to 1982...

Glad you got it all working, though! Maybe you made some kind of cockpit error, because it shouldn't matter to go through Comcast 1982 or Pace, Other, 1982. Once you select blaster code 1982, it doesn't matter how you got there...

Henry
Alain
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. thought I tried a couple times for comcast 1982 (third top level choice of IR code). Oh well it works, and I just setup a second replay with an older thomson DTA DCI101xxxx and works as well with 1982.

Thanks again! I had practically given up on my units a year ago when the schedule stopped updating but seeing people sell those units on ebay for good money and asking them made me realize I was still supposed to get scheduled (both units with lifetime).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: