Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the hopper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: the hopper Reply with quote

dish network has put out a new dvr called the hopper and it skips commercials hence the name and its hd. of course it doesnt send anything. any thoughts opinions etc. experinces on this---d
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand (brother in law had it for a time), commercial skip ONLY works AFTER 1 AM on prime time network programming from the previous day. All other recorded content from other channels, or any primetime recording prior to 1 AM of the next day, you still need to FF or 30 skip it. It also keeps this programming for up to 8 days or until you go thru and delete it.

Also be aware that the Hopper "automatically" records ALL primetime network programming from the 4 major networks using up 4 of the 6 tuners every single night. For some reason, Dish believes that most people can't live without their commercial filled, primetime netowrk programming. And if like me, you want to record any other cable programming during primetime, using the other 2 tuners, any Joey use in the rest of your house is not possible.

So for me, their implementation of the commercial skip feature (as well as the entire setup premise) is almost useless to me since my time shifting habits on network programming (about 1/4 of my recordings) occurs during the same day (just later in the evening and prior to 1 AM), and what I do watch the next day (or later), consists of cable channel programming where the commercial skip is not enabled at all.
And since I record a lot of cable programming other than primetime network shows, I wouldn't have use of the Joey's until those recordings finished.

YMMV depending on your recording/viewing habits.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the reply, sounds horrible
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
thanx for the reply, sounds horrible

Please don't take what I said as a complete and total downvote for the Hopper setup. There are some people I have talked to that REALLY like it.

The main problem I have is that I have been so spoiled by Replay over the years, that even with it's analog, single tuners, and other minor annoyances, in my opinion it is still "functionally" better than anything being offered currently, INCLUDING the Hopper or DirecTV's WHDVR setup.
hankhi
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Hopper - Replay Reply with quote

Just tried to set up a Hopper with my replays - seems it and the other room boxes all use UHF remotes so the IR blaster will not change the channel to record on the replay. The advertised commercial skip is not nearly as good as the replay's, so for now, I am keeping the main 722 and two 311's connected to three replays. Still have the annoying screen saver on the 722 every morning. The installers went back to the shop to see if they can get the IR window on the Hopper to work - it has one even tho all of the remotes are UHF. . And the order rep did not explain to me that I can not keep the 311's and the Hopper - they will not work on the same dish. I can not just replace the 722 with a Hopper and keep the separate 311's and their replays. Soo, at this point, I am going to cancel the Hopper order and stick with the old system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: