Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paterson USB TV Translator to use the serial port on Replay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
replaytv fan
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Paterson USB TV Translator to use the serial port on Replay Reply with quote

I use my Replay TV with DirecTV ...

DirecTV told me my 1996 model RCA DirecTV receiver was going to become obsolete and they would swap me a new one for no charge & no contract

I received the new receiver and ... none of the Replay TV IR blaster codes work with the DirecTV D-12 -100 receiver ...

I tried to google a solution and ran across a Paterson USB TV Translator to use the serial port on Replay TV to the USB port on the DirecTV receiver

http://www.patersontech.com/products/

When I tried to order it - it's been discontinued: http://www.patersontech.com/ ...

Has anyone run into this previously? ... Anyone know where I might find a used Paterson USB TV Translator? ... or, alternate TV translator?
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://webpages.charter.net/mamvc---i have the same box and it responds to the remote for the boxes listed on this site. i also just installed these codes to run a r15-100 and it works perfect. i dont know how to install the codes on ur replay but henry knows, u have no ethernet correct. if u do ur good to go with the instructions on that site. p.s. i have 6 boxes dating back to 2000 all on replays so i guess theyll be giving me new boxes soon---d
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading your posts on AVSForum, I don't think that using a serial to USB adapter is so much the problem as is getting the correct control of the D-12...

I don't see where you've posted which model ReplayTV you have, other than you posted here in the 2K/3K forum. What you'll need to do next will greatly depend on which model ReplayTV you have, whether it is dial-up only or Ethernet capable...

The thing about the Patterson was that, as it's name suggests, it can translate codes. So, it could translate your existing ReplayTV codes into the correct D-12 codes. Since the ReplayTV doesn't have the codes to operate the D-12, this could be important...

If you have an Ethernet capable ReplayTV, then you could add the D-12 codes as Dan linked (in addition, if you read the thread on AVSForum, and mentioned here, there is a boot CD which will more easily add the same update, except as code 2007), and then you should be able to operate fine with a serial to USB adapter. However, if those instructions are too difficult or you don't have the equipment, or you have a dial-up only ReplayTV, then finding a Patterson Translator may be more important. Again, depending on the situation, if adding codes specifically is going to be a problem for you, then you'll have to find a Patterson Translator somewhere. If you have a dial-up only ReplayTV, then the posted method of updating your ReplayTV codes won't work with your unit, and either you'll need to get the Patterson Translator, or you'll have to get some help to come up with the method of adding the appropriate codes for a dial-up ReplayTV (which I'll be happy to help as much as I can)...

Or course, this is based on how I believe the Patterson Translator works. I looked at it a long time ago when it came available, and I'm pretty sure that was the point of it. However, if it's nothing more than a serial to USB translator, then it wouldn't serve any better purpose than these other adapters. I'm pretty sure its point was to allow changing codes from one type to another, to allow running the newer devices with older codes, but I'm not positive. Athough, after having just looked at its webpage again and reading about it, and also that it can translate channel numbers into subchannels, I'm pretty sure that it takes care of everything for you...

Henry
replaytv fan
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses ...

I have a HD 2000 Replay TV DVR with phone line jack only ... no ethernet

I attempted a suggestion I received on AVS Forum to try a serial to USB adapter coupled with null modem ... to no avail ...

the Replay TV did not control the D-12 ... I believe the null modem was meant to couple the 9 pin serial port on the Replay TV to the 9 pin serial connection on the adaptor and reverse the signal so the Replay TV could control the D-12 box ...

didn't work ...

I am wodnering if it makes a difference which side of the null modem is plugged into the Replay TV ...

or ... I am wondering if DirecTV disabled the USB port on the D-12, which some posts have indicated ...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you carefully read my response, you will see that I detailed the difference between using the method you used and posted on AVSForum and using the Patterson Translator. This has nothing to do with using the null modem adapter, that is required to use the serial adapter.

Your RTV 2000 does not have support for the D-12, so no amount of adapters is going to give it that capability. Only the Patterson Translator can translate what the 2000 supports to operating the D-12...

Anyway, I detailed very explicitly what your choices are. If you want to use the serial to USB adapter, then you have to add the D-12 codes to your 2000. The 2000 uses different codes than the ones that srfrdan posted, so you can't use those. You would actually have to get those codes converted for your 2000. Then you would have to have a way to install those codes on your 2000, which is another problem...

I would suggest that given your having a hard time understanding the situation with the approach you are trying to take, that you should just search far and wide for a Patterson Translator. Maybe you can find one on ebay, maybe you can find one on Craig's List, maybe someone will offer to sell you theirs. There have been a few offers in the past of people getting rid of their RTVs and getting rid of their Patterson Translators at the same time...

My other suggestion would be to try to purchase a cheap Ethernet-based RTV so that you can add the D-12 IR codes more easily...

Anyway, what you are trying to use currently isn't going to work unless you add new codes into your RTV 2000. That has nothing to do with the null modem adapter, that is a simple signal reverser which may be necessary depending on the wiring of the serial to USB adapter itself. But, if you want to use that method, then you have no choice but to add the D-12 IR Blaster codes to your RTV 2000, which means that you'll have to build the codes yourself and you'll have to install them on the RTV 2000 yourself...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can get a 4k or 5k replay for 10 to 20 bucks on ebay, its the shipping thats 20 to 50 bucks. sign up on ebay and put an automatic bid of 20 bucks on the cheapest shipping u can find. ive done this eight times takes patience. ---d
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, even if you get a cheap 4K or 5K, you are still going to have to add the D-12 codes to make it work. If you are uncomfortable with adding the D-12 codes to an RTV, then you might as well just stick with your RTV 2000 and try to find a Patterson Translator...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes he he has to install them like i did, this is a copy of the last transaction of the last replay i got on ebay--9.99+20.00 shipping--Sonic Blue ReplayTV RTV5040 40-Hour Digital Video Recorder DVR and Remote
Item picture

Sonic Blue ReplayTV RTV5040 40-Hour Digital Video Recorde... (300747017430)
Sale date: 07/30/12
Tracking number: 9434609699939044639275
Estimated Delivery: 08/03/12 - 08/10/12

$9.99

+ $19.61

shipping
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replaytv fan, I see your user name on Poopli as having a 5080 and am wondering if you are the same person? If so, then you already know about what having an Ethernet based RTV unit is like. I'm not sure what you could do about swapping which RTV unit runs your D-12 or something along those lines. Or simply retire your RTV 2000 in favor of another 5000...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooked up another d-12 today ---bing bang boom--no problems---d
jaydee1
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@srfrdan - are you using blasters or the USB port on the D12? Thanks!
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have both blasters and serial. honestly if i knew i could get the blasters to work so well i never would have spent the 35.00 bucks each paterson. the patersons can stop working from time to time and u have to reboot the receiver and /or the replay to get it working again. however, the blasters are flawless and if u have more than one replay in the same room all u have to do is cover the emitter end with several layers of tape to avoid cross transmission of the signal. dtv is telling me my rca boxes are going dark soon and when they do ill need a couple more d-12s they say theyll send for free---d
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Did you upgrade to the D12's yet? Just wondering how your IR codes/blasters worked with those receivers. I may be moving my mom to DirecTV in the near future and am just researching other's working setups.

Can you post the timings you used or did you just use the defaults? I had a D12 for a while, and used a Paterson cable which worked fine but since I only have 3 working Paterson cables left (one quit working altogether) and my Mom has 4 replay's, I may need to go to a blaster on one of them.

You also by chance didn't try a generic serial to usb cable to control the D12 with these IR codes instead of just an IR blaster cable did you? One would think that if the Replay has the proper IR codes, then any connecting cable (thinking of grey's cable for an example) would also work. Any info would be appreciated.

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in if you have any helpful info.

TTFN,

J

srfrdan wrote:
i have both blasters and serial. honestly if i knew i could get the blasters to work so well i never would have spent the 35.00 bucks each paterson. the patersons can stop working from time to time and u have to reboot the receiver and /or the replay to get it working again. however, the blasters are flawless and if u have more than one replay in the same room all u have to do is cover the emitter end with several layers of tape to avoid cross transmission of the signal. dtv is telling me my rca boxes are going dark soon and when they do ill need a couple more d-12s they say theyll send for free---d
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the answer is yes i got new boxes and they run perfect---did no adjustments to the way replaytv sends the signals--and i did waste money on 2 brands of generic serial cables that people said worked but i was not savy enough to get them to work for me---oh, i also tied them with those codes installed and no difference. use the link i put at the top of these posts to get and put the codes in, u can use the rtv photo app instead of wirns or dva to load the codes into the photo guide if that seems easier it was to me---d
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
the answer is yes i got new boxes and they run perfect---did no adjustments to the way replaytv sends the signals--and i did waste money on 2 brands of generic serial cables that people said worked but i was not savy enough to get them to work for me---oh, i also tied them with those codes installed and no difference. use the link i put at the top of these posts to get and put the codes in, u can use the rtv photo app instead of wirns or dva to load the codes into the photo guide if that seems easier it was to me---d

Thanks Dan! That helps a lot.

So it sounds like there really must be something different in the way the Replay sends IR commands via the serial port and the IR blaster mini jack port, and that the Paterson device addresses. I always thought the Paterson device just took the generic IR commands from the Replay and translated them to a DirecTV compatible set. So if one actually loaded the proper IR codes into the Replay like you already have, I would have expected the Paterson "translation" unnecessary. Interesting, Very Interesting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: