Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IV6 wo/Port Forwarding | IV4 w/Port Forwarding | ReplayTVs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You Concerned About IV6 Replacing IV4?
[b][color=green]YES[/color][/b]
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
[b][color=red]NO[/color][/b]
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
[b][color=orange]What's IV6?[/color][/b]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: IV6 wo/Port Forwarding | IV4 w/Port Forwarding | ReplayTVs. Reply with quote

I recently read an article that said that IV6 will eliminate the need for 'Private IPs' (i.e. 192.168.x.y) behind a router and that *EVERY* device will be able to have its own 'Public IP' .

If/when IV4 goes away:
  1. How will this affect ReplayTVs and IVS?

2. How will additional 'Public IPs' be assigned to new devices in our homes?
    - Currently, I'm VERY happy assigning specific number ranges to specific types of devices. I know EXACTLY where all my PCs are, my ReplayTVs, my Media Streamers, my Print Servers, etc... They're all in SEQUENTIAL order in small, individual groups. How will IV6 work (in this regard)? question
Thanks!

EDIT: Misspelling in Subject
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called IPv6...

All addresses will be public, but the router will provide your "privacy"...

If IPv4 (it's called IPv4) goes away, then the RTV's will be out the picture, as will Windows '98, etc. that don't support IPv6...

IPv6 has it's own method of assigning addresses. Your ISP will give your house a block of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to use for your inside use. Your router will take care of all this, although you can also directly connect a single device if you want to. With IPv6, because of the large blocks, your network devices will basically take care of assigning their own addresses. There are several modes they can operate in, one of them being that they periodically change IP address for security...

I'm sure there is plenty more that you can read about it on wikipedia or whatever...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks For the 'Cliff Notes' Overview Henry!!! Reply with quote

• hdonzis wrote:
    It's called IPv6...

I'm glad that you were able to infer what I was asking about.

• hdonzis wrote:
    ...If IPv4 (it's called IPv4) goes away, then the RTV's will be out the picture, as will Windows '98, etc. that don't support IPv6...

That was my initial fear - BYE-BYE ReplayTV... cry baby

• hdonzis wrote:
    ...IPv6 has it's own method of assigning addresses. Your ISP will give your house a block of 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses to use for your inside use. Your router will take care of all this, although you can also directly connect a single device if you want to. With IPv6, because of the large blocks, your network devices will basically take care of assigning their own addresses. There are several modes they can operate in, one of them being that they periodically change IP address for security...

Thanks for the 'Cliff Notes' - many times when I GOOGLE a new topic I get 'lost' for HOURS reading and learning... idea!

• hdonzis wrote:
    ...I'm sure there is plenty more that you can read about it on wikipedia or whatever...

In due time.

When, in YOUR professional opinion, do you believe that IPv4 will be gone?

Thanks!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks For the 'Cliff Notes' Overview Henry!!! Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
...If IPv4 (it's called IPv4) goes away, then the RTV's will be out the picture, as will Windows '98, etc. that don't support IPv6...

Well, there won't be anything to stop you from running IPv4 inside your house. So, there'd be no reason that you couldn't still run your RTVs through WiRNS. Of course, there'd be no more IVS...

TakeTheActive wrote:

I don't have a professional opinion about it, but in my personal opinion, it will be a very long, long time. Probably about as long as it took to get rid of analog TV (which isn't even gone yet). There are schemes for coexisting IPv4 and IPv6, and they haven't even started being used yet (except maybe in businesses themselves). So, first we'll have to start with coexisting, and that will go on for quite some time before they get rid of IPv4...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTA, I accidentally deleted your post. Can you please put it back?

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: That Was Tricky - Thank You Firefox Closed Tabs List!!! Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
TTA, I accidentally deleted your post. Can you please put it back?

Henry

I wondered what happened!

I 'usually' don't close a tab until AFTER I've verified that my reply was posted. Subconscious (on YOUR part), huh?

For the amount of work involved in finding and accurately restoring the ORIGINAL post (you don't think I REMEMBER what I posted ), I feel that you OWE ME (at least) *ONE* "Don't Nit-Pick TTA on This" - Deal? From my perspective, you and I are having great fun tonight - thanks! thumbsup

[Fake HR]____________________________________________________________

• hdonzis wrote:
    TakeTheActive wrote:
    hdonzis wrote:

Well, there won't be anything to stop you from running IPv4 inside your house. So, there'd be no reason that you couldn't still run your RTVs through WiRNS. Of course, there'd be no more IVS...

So, we could continue using the Poopli Database but we'd all have to set up FTP Servers and download the shows to them via DVArchive or WiRNS to be able to share them.

• hdonzis wrote:
    TakeTheActive wrote:

I don't have a professional opinion about it, but in my personal opinion, it will be a very long, long time. Probably about as long as it took to get rid of analog TV (which isn't even gone yet). There are schemes for coexisting IPv4 and IPv6, and they haven't even started being used yet (except maybe in businesses themselves). So, first we'll have to start with coexisting, and that will go on for quite some time before they get rid of IPv4...

Thanks for your opinion.

So, in all probability, MANY of us will have moved on to HDTV setups, or passed away, by the time IPv4 support is removed.

mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: IV6 wo/Port Forwarding | IV4 w/Port Forwarding | ReplayT Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
I recently read an article that said that IV6 will eliminate the need for 'Private IPs' (i.e. 192.168.x.y) behind a router and that *EVERY* device will be able to have its own 'Public IP' .

If/when IV4 goes away:
  1. How will this affect ReplayTVs and IVS?

2. How will additional 'Public IPs' be assigned to new devices in our homes?
    - Currently, I'm VERY happy assigning specific number ranges to specific types of devices. I know EXACTLY where all my PCs are, my ReplayTVs, my Media Streamers, my Print Servers, etc... They're all in SEQUENTIAL order in small, individual groups. How will IV6 work (in this regard)? question
Thanks!

EDIT: Misspelling in Subject

IPv4 may go away on the internet., but OSes should still support it for a long time probably longer than any Replay hardware will last). Then there's no reason you couldn't use it locally. Maybe WiRNS could be modified for DHCP/DNS support. You wouldn't need a router for it since it's not connected to the internet. WiRNS could get schedules over IPv6.

I don't know about getting IVS to work.

BTW, I have a PC running Linux, and have set up Dnsmasq on it for DHCP/DNS.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: IV6 wo/Port Forwarding | IV4 w/Port Forwarding | ReplayT Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
IPv4 may go away on the internet., but OSes should still support it for a long time probably longer than any Replay hardware will last). Then there's no reason you couldn't use it locally. Maybe WiRNS could be modified for DHCP/DNS support. You wouldn't need a router for it since it's not connected to the internet. WiRNS could get schedules over IPv6.

I don't know about getting IVS to work.

Exactly as I posted over a month ago:

hdonzis wrote:

Henry
truckie36
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If / when IPv4 goes away, could the IVS transfers be handled through WiRNS?
Record show on replay > download to WiRNS > send from virtual replay to virtual replay > stream to replay
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truckie36 wrote:
If / when IPv4 goes away, could the IVS transfers be handled through WiRNS?
Record show on replay > download to WiRNS > send from virtual replay to virtual replay > stream to replay

I suppose that would be possible if WiRNS were changed to handle IVS through IPv6, although that seems like a lot of trouble. It's a long way off, so I wouldn't really worry about it all that much. I'd be surprised if it were even a concern by the time that public IPv4 goes away...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: