Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We'll Miss You Gary Leonard (l8er)!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: We'll Miss You Gary Leonard (l8er)! Reply with quote

It is with great sorrow that I post that Gary Leonard (l8er), who created the ReplayTVUpgrade website, has passed away on March 31, 2012. Gary was very involved with ReplayTV from very early on and participated heavily both here and on AVSForum. You can read his obituary here, which also has information on memorials and such. ReplayTVUpgrade has been moved to continue operating and has been dedicated to Gary. He will be greatly missed!

Henry
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how sad. Thoughts for all those who knew him and his family.

Cliff
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: We'll Miss You Gary Leonard! Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
It is with great sorrow that I post that Gary Leonard (l8er), who created the ReplayTVUpgrade website, has passed away on March 31, 2012...

WOW!

Multiple shocks:
  1. *ONLY* 56! Although nothing is stated, I imagine a cancer of some sorts. Sympathies to his family.

2. During our 'Exchanges' on the forum(s) ~2005-2006, I pictured him to be ~10-20 years younger (i.e. ~36-46) - I'm 60+.
hdonzis wrote:
...ReplayTVUpgrade has been moved to continue operating and has been dedicated to Gary. He will be greatly missed!

I just used the ReplayTVUpgrade site a few days ago to research a Showstopper 3000 (for my 97 year old Dad or 99 year old Mother-in-Law). Nothing I read there, or on the various ReplayTV-related forums indicated that he passed away THREE MONTHS AGO!

l8er's last post on PlanetReplay was ~4 years ago - Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:11 pm; apparently he didn't feel too well back then; *I* know how that feels - it took me *YEARS* from my MULTIPLE hospital visits in ~2006 to just a few months ago to "START" feeling myself again. After reading his obituary, it may have been nice to know "Gary" the person vs "l8er" the anonymous forum UserID. A *LOT* gets lost / misinterpreted in TEXT-ONLY communications .

Had anyone been communicating with him "Off Forum" since 2008?

Henry, how did you eventually find out?

THANKS to whomever is continuing to maintain ($$$) the ReplayTVUpgrade site.

Was anyone able to capture the ReplayTV FAQ site (Justin Leavens) before it went down? I forgot a 'Clawfoot Portal' command and had to use 'The Wayback Machine' a few days ago.
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Who the Hell is Gary Leonard??? Reply with quote

Henry,

IMHO, you should put "l8er" in parenthesis in the subject line, like you did in the body of the post, so folks have a clue as to WHO Gary Leonard was.

I saw this post when it was newly posted and just passed it by - tonight, I'm doing Defrags and PRTG maintenance so I'm reading things I otherwise would have skipped. l8er was a MAJOR contributor to the ReplayTV Community, but *VERY* few folks ever heard of Gary Leonard .

Thanks!
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to read about this. Earlier this evening, I was reading some stuff on the ReplayTVUpgrade site, something I seem to do every few months, and saw the very sad news. It wasn't until I was reading here that I learned that he & I8er were the same person. I don't think I ever communicated directly with him, at least that I recall, but I sure learned a lot from him. Which again got me to thinking about the amazing positive difference in my life people I've never met -- and don't know anything about -- have made.

And some people say nothing good comes from the Internet.

TakeTheActive -- it wasn't cancer. Gary had suffered from lung problems for most of his adult life. He had surgery on March 22 to remove a damaged part of one of the lobes in his lung. There were apparently complications from the surgery, Gary developed pneumonia, and things whet further downhill. Very, very sad.

I want to take this opportunity to shout out a thanks to all the folks here & in the various RTV forums who have taken the time over the years to share what they've mastered & help the rest of us muddle along.

And to extend my deepest sympathies to those of you who knew Gary, belated though my sympathies may be.

Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Saundra! I also knew that it wasn't cancer, but didn't have the information that you dug up. He didn't get out of posting on the forums because he didn't feel well, he simply got tired of putting up with people's crap on the forums, which I can completely understand since I have quit participating on AVSForum, and I feel just fine (I only feel sick reading AVSForum puking). He helped me many times in the past with different ReplayTV related things and I felt very proud that he thought enough of me to ask me to take over his RTV related websites. Thanks for taking the time to find the information that you found! And, I really appreciate your finding his blog! I had forgotten about his use of Farpoint, he used to post similar stuff on grandallusion.com, and I used to follow it there a long, long time ago. In addition, I enjoyed his RTV forum, Not Just Another Forum, and his replaytvtools.com website, which, unfortunately, didn't really take off and are long gone. At least I can say that I was a registered member of his forum!

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: