Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reply Channel Guide Stuck (Not Working)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply Channel Guide Stuck (Not Working) Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can read this thread in this forum to get some more technical information about it all, and you can read this very long thread on AVSForum about all the different tips and tricks people are trying. The clock problem seems to be a common occurance. You should also read "The Robman"'s post here and here for his solution...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReplayTV doesn't have anything to do with the dial-up service other than to pay the provider for your usage. The number your RTV is calling is a standard dial-up service provider for your area, just as if you wanted to have dial-up Internet service. And, that's exactly what it's providing, dial-up Internet service for your RTV, except that ReplayTV is footing the bill for the dial-up service instead of you...

Now, why there seems to be these problems with the RTV using the dial-up service in the first place is the big question. From all of the posts, it seems the most common issue is the length of the net connect. If your guide is up to date and only needs to download a single extra day, then the net connect mostly proceeds normally. However, once it gets behind such that it has to download more than a single day, then it seems to be more problematic...

Some of getting the guide data fully loaded requires using the ZIP code change to get some of the data loaded then, and then the rest with the net connect. Or, continuous net connects, each downloading a bit more guide data, until it fully completes. Those tricks posted are around eventually getting the full guide data downloaded...

As far as the clock, you should watch your unit when it says "Setting Clock". If it proceeds immediately, then it should have set the clock. If it sits for 60 seconds, then it didn't set the clock. You can also use the 2-4-3-Zones screen to toggle the clock such that you can watch what it shows while "Setting Clock" to see if it changes. You can stop the net connect if the clock doesn't set and try the net connect over again until you successfully get the clock set. You also might want to consider rebooting the RTV (holding the power button for 10 seconds) and then try a net connect to see if you can't get the clock set...

ReplayTV is still providing Channel Guide, it's just a matter of getting your connection to take it all. User's not using dial-up aren't having problems downloading Channel Guide, so it's really not like ReplayTV isn't providing it. If you could connect your RTVs using the Ethernet connection, then that would take care of the problem for you. I'm not sure what's going on with ReplayTV and the dial-up providers, but since ReplayTV doesn't actually provide the dial-up service, it's not really like it's them not providing the service. They only provide the Channel Guide service (EPG), and they are still doing that...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these problems continue, we may be forced to switch to Tivo. Last summer when Replay TV announced that they were discontinuing the Channel Guide, we bought a Tivo with lifetime subscription service (about $600) and then had to return it and ship it back when Replay suddenly changed their minds. Now that the Channel Guide is apparently not working, we may have to go through that again. Replay TV is going to lose a lot of older customers (or anyone with a dial-up connection) to Tivo and other DVR services if they don't fix this connection problem pronto.

Last edited by TheCFiles on Tue May 01, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try rebooting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds and then re-attempting the net connect to see if you could get the clock set?

ReplayTV says they are working on things. I am not in a position to discuss what their legal oblications are, but their EPG server is connected to the Internet and they say that the problem is with the dial-up connections, which is a third party. Anyway, I don't think that the tips and tricks are anything to avoid any obligation, although they do show that ReplayTV is actually providing guide service. But, they are a way for you to attempt to load your Channel Guide while you are waiting for ReplayTV to resolve the issue. I have no idea what their plans are to do about this, just that they say that they are working on it. I suggest you call their support line on Monday to enter your own complaint...

TheCFiles wrote:
If these problems continue, we may be forced to switch to Tivo. Last summer when Replay TV announced that they were discontinuing the Channel Guide, we bought a Tivo with lifetime subscription service (about $600) and then had to return it and ship it back when Replay suddenly changed their minds. Now that the Channel Guide is apparently not working, we may have to go through that again. Replay TV is going to lose a lot of older customers (or anyone with a dial-up connection) to Tivo and other DVR services if they don't fix this connection problem pronto.

You need to understand that ReplayTV no longer makes any money on their systems at all. They haven't sold hardware in many years, and they no longer charge for the guide service. So, since last June they have been completely losing money on continuing to provide guide service at no charge to anyone. It isn't likely that they can keep this up for a very long time, so you should take that any way you want...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you work for them?

As for the monthly fee, I didn't realize they were providing that for free now; but what good is that if it doesn't work anymore? If the dial-up service is not going to work anymore, they should have at least sent out a notice to everyone to inform them of such a drastic change in service. But even then, it doesn't resolve the main issue of losing service after paying for lifetime service. The Replay is essentially useless without the Channel Guide. And free or not, they do have an obligation to continue to provide that information to customers who bought their units with those expectations.

Glad to hear they are 'working on the issue'. But if it isn't resolved soon, we may have to switch back to a $600 Tivo which is not the best solution for us.

The technological tricks were not related to Replay TV trying to relieve any obligation, I never once said anything to that effect. Was simply making a point that as customers, we shouldn't have to go through any of that to make these devices work right. It shouldn't be that complicated or difficult. They should work appropriately on their own.

Last edited by TheCFiles on Tue May 01, 2012 6:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCFiles wrote:
Do you work for them?

Are you kidding?

TheCFiles wrote:
It doesn't matter whether they are making any money off the Replay TV service at all, they promised their customers lifetime service and they should continue to provide that legally.

They have no obligation when they no longer exist because they went out of business...

TheCFiles wrote:
As for the monthly fee, I didn't realize they were providing that for free now; but what good is that if it doesn't work anymore? If the dial-up service is not going to work anymore, they should have at least sent out a notice to everyone to inform them of such a drastic change in service. But even then, it doesn't resolve the main issue of losing service after paying for lifetime service. The Replay is essentially useless without the Channel Guide. And free or not, they do have an obligation to continue to provide that information to customers who bought their units with those expectations.

I doubt they intended for the dial-up service to fail in this way. The dial-up service had been more and more of a problem as the dial-up providers are going away. ReplayTV depends on the dial-up providers, which used to be plentiful when they built those units. They aren't in the business of providing dial-up service, and really couldn't go into such an endevor throughout the United States. I can't speak for them at all, but I can certainly understand their predicament. I have to hope they are doing everything they can to resolve the problem, but I think it's kind of like trying to receive analog TV, once the dial-up service goes away, there's nothing left to use...

I had my cable Internet go out during Super Bowl weekend, and asked them what happened to the dial backup service that I used to be subscribed to. Well, first it took way too much trouble to explain to them how I could possibly have dial backup service when I had cable Internet. Finally, I found out that they had discontinued dial backup service quite some time ago. And, this is Road Runnder, which is a national service. The fact that they no longer have dial-up service was very surprising to me! The only cable Internet provider that I found that still provides dial-up service is Earthlink. I would almost switch to them, but I don't think they include dial backup service in their plan, and their speed is slower than Road Runner and it costs more. Anyway, it's kind of hard not to see ReplayTV's problem with dial-up service when the people at Road Runner can't even understand the concept of having dial-up service being a cable customer, much less that Road Runner no longer even offers dial-up service...

TheCFiles wrote:
Glad to hear they are 'working on the issue'. But if it isn't resolved soon, we may have to switch back to a $600 Tivo which is not the best solution for us.

Yeah, I feel for you! I've looked at several replacements myself, including TiVo. I think I've posted several discussion about it on several of the ReplayTV boards. I'm just happy that my units are still working well enough, just being fortunate enough to still have analog cable and using Ethernet connections is working properly. But, I can't expect it to last forever. Not even sure how much longer I can hope for it to keep working...

TheCFiles wrote:
The technological tricks were not related to Replay TV trying to relieve any obligation, I never once said anything to that effect. Was simply making a point that as customers, we shouldn't have to go through any of that to make these devices work right. It shouldn't be that complicated or difficult. They should work appropriately on their own.

Of course I agree. I'm just saying that others are coaxing their dial-up units to continue working through this dilema. I'm not saying that it's right for you to have to go to any trouble, I wish you didn't have to. But, at least you have a model that is capable of running over Ethernet instead of dial-up, so you aren't boxed in. If you could figure out a way to connect them via Ethernet, then you might at least solve the problem for now. And, quite honestly, if you want to ensure providing guide data to your RTVs, you really should consider running WiRNS to get rid of using ReplayTV all together...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReplayTV said they didn't know anything about it until customers started calling with support problems. I'm not sure how they could have known ahead of time, it's not like Earthlink or whoever they contract with to provide US-wide dial-up service has any obligation to notify them that they are cutting back on service. But, the real current problem is that no one knows what is going wrong with the current connections. ReplayTV said they thought it had to do with a re-authentication protocol change, and they said that they were working with the dial-up providers to straighten this out (I read all this in the AVSFormum thread that I linked you). More recently, there is some talk of them having a DNS issue, and maybe that's what's causing the clock setting problem. Did you ever try rebooting your RTV by holding the power button for 10 seconds and then attempt a net connect to see if you could get the clock set?

What model RTV do you have? It should be on a sticker on the back, listed in the 4-1-1-Zones screen, or listed in the System Info Setup menu item if you have that menu item. You posted in the 5000/5500 forum, so I have been assuming all along that you have a 5xxx model. If you have Cox broadband and are using it for your Internet connection, then it should be very simple to connect it to the back of your RTV instead of using dial-up to provide the same guide service, but much quicker and more reliable...

If you're not familiar with Ethenet at all, then are you using wireless for your Internet connection? You can use a wireless adapter to connect your RTV wirelessly if so. Or, maybe you can string a cable from your Cox broadband router to your RTV. It might be worth experimenting with to see if you can get it to work or not...

I'm not sure what you mean about technology that the Replay unit wasn't designed to use. Depending on your model, it certainly was designed to use a high speed Internet connection instead of dial up. And, also depending on the model, it was designed to network with multiple Replay Units and to connect to the ReplayTV service. But, we need to start with what model you have. Or, you can look at the back and see if it has an Ethernet connector near the phone connector...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can try entering 4-1-1-Zones from your RTV remote, you should be able to see the serial number. If you post the serial number (only 18 digits, versus the registration number, which is 21 digits and you shouldn't post), then I can tell you what model you have...

If your model is a 4000/4500 model, then it WOULD have what you are calling a "land" connection (a LAN connection). Ethernet is the connection is probably what you are connecting the iMac. It looks like a very large telephone connector, it has 8 pins and plugs in the same way. If your Replay unit is a 4000/4500 or 5000/5500, then it would also have this same connector as your iMac and you could connected directly to your broadband Internet instead of using the phone connection...

If it is an older unit, then you would be correct that it could only use dial up. And, in that case, I would really want to move your post to the correct forum for your unit's model. It will be confusing to others reading these posts to not understand this post being the the 5000/5500 forum complaining of not being able to use the LAN connection since the 5xxx model has a LAN connection built in...

If you want to cal ReplayTV.com, you go to their website to get the Customer Support phone number for ReplayTV set top boxes...

By the way, there is basically no other system, including TiVo, that can function without a broadband Internet connection (they don't even use dial up any longer). So, if you want to switch to any other third-party DVR, you'll need to figure out how to get the Internet connected to it. The only systems I can think of that can operate without high speed Internet would be Cox's DVR (assuming they have one), and Satellite DVRs (which typically can use a phone connection since high speed Internet isn't always available). There's also U-Verse, but it's only because it has a high speed connection built into it...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I moved your post since you are sure that you have an older unit which only has dial up. It's a shame that you've deleted your previous posts so that none of the other forum readers can have the benefit of your experience...

Your iMac can only direct connect to your cable modem either through a USB cable or an Ethernet cable, that's the only two choices. They provide those two cables with the modem, but they are pretty standard...

I will warn you again that TiVo and most other third-party DVRs will require an Ethernet connection to the Internet for them to operate. You may have to go with Cox's DVR (if they have one) if you don't want to have any other hassles...

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

TheCFiles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really hope they fix it as well!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do! It's probably too much trouble for you, but there is a post in this forum about installing a clock setting control panel so that you can at least adjust the clock manually. I would hope that even if you couldn't download guide data that you could at least get the clock set. Did you ever try rebooting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds and they attempting a net connect to see if the clock sets properly?

Henry
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 5 times in total
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked! I got the Channel Guide and all Replay TV services back!

Turns out, Earthlink owns the dial-up numbers, and they apparently reassigned to new numbers; which means all the old ones listed on our Replay TV are no longer working. That was the major problem.

The Replay C/S Rep took me through a step-by-step process (which was a little off according to our model, but I got the gist of it) and then did a Force-Connect through the 3-4-7 Zone menu and it actually worked! Took a long time, as it had 8 days of data to load, but connected normally and got all Channel Guide data back.

Last edited by TheCFiles on Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCFiles wrote:
It worked! I got the Channel Guide and all Replay TV services back!

Turns out, Earthlink owns the dial-up numbers, and they apparently reassigned to new numbers; which means all the old ones listed on our Replay TV are no longer working. That was the major problem.

The Replay C/S Rep took me through a step-by-step process (which was a little off according to our model, but I got the gist of it) and then did a Force-Connect through the 3-4-7 Zone menu and it actually worked! Took a long time, as it had 8 days of data to load, but connected normally and got all Channel Guide data back.

Lucky you - I called the replaytv support number, she gave me the earthlink numbers for my area, I put the first one in the dial prefix, it connected and gave me a message of "Unable to authorize connection."
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it sounds like you're on the right track. The problem is that Earthlink is using new telephone numbers, and we were all still using the old ones that no longer work!

It's probably the way you may have done the process that didn't work. You have to do it a certain way, not just put in the dial prefix.

I am going to type out these instructions she gave me, but they didn't coincide exactly with our model. I had to improvise a bit, but it was easy enough to figure out....

Last edited by TheCFiles on Tue May 01, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information for finding out the proper Earthlink numbers is given in this post...

Also, the inforamation about the problem being with Earthlink was in that original thread I linked to AVSForum, here...

Also, it is normal that after making the phone number and ZIP code connection that it doesn't load the Channel Guide, only the channel lineup. It requires a net connect to load the Channel Guide...

I now realize that you didn't know what I was talking about when I was telling you to net connect and toggle the clock and such. Since you posted about not being able to make it get through a net connect, I assumed you knew about the 2-4-3-Zones screen (especially since I detailed the 2-4-3-Zones screen in my second post). A lot of this information is on the ReplayTV support pages, I think that the steps you posted about clearing the phone number settings are also posted on the ReplayTV support pages. And, you are correct, the step about "Connect to Replay" is only on the newer models, you have to use the 2-4-3-Zones screen to do that on the older models (which you can do on the newer models as well)...

I'm really glad you got it all working and thanks for detailing your experience with ReplayTV!

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCFiles wrote:
Well it sounds like you're on the right track. The problem is that Earthlink is using new telephone numbers, and we were all still using the old ones that no longer work!

It's probably the way you may have done the process that didn't work. You have to do it a certain way, not just put in the dial prefix.

I am going to type out these instructions she gave me, but they didn't coincide exactly with our model. I had to improvise a bit, but it was easy enough to figure out....

After you went through all that, exactly what number did you get?
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by TheCFiles on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheCFiles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got everything out of this thread that I could. Thanks to everyone for reading, and posting helpful information.

I have been deleting my posts for security and privacy reasons, I don't care to have myself too much online in public forums.

Since my instructions are already listed elsewhere in the forum, I guess I can delete those as well.

Will probably delete all my posts soon, and then the Moderator can do as he wishes to delete the thread as well or keep it for whatever reasons.

Thanks again..

Last edited by TheCFiles on Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCFiles wrote:
Well, I got everything out of this thread that I could. Thanks to everyone for reading, and posting helpful information.

I have been deleting my posts for security and privacy reasons, I don't care to have myself too much online in public forums.

Since my instructions are already listed elsewhere in the forum, I guess I can delete those as well.

Will probably delete all my posts soon, and then the Moderator can do as he wishes to delete the thread as well or keep it for whatever reasons.

Thanks again..

It's not very helpful to the community for you to delete everything. I'm not sure what security and privacy issues you are concerned with, but it seems like if it was such a big concern then posting here in the first place would be a big problem. So, I don't know how deleting your posts is going to solve anything...

Henry
The Robman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
It's not very helpful to the community for you to delete everything. I'm not sure what security and privacy issues you are concerned with, but it seems like if it was such a big concern then posting here in the first place would be a big problem. So, I don't know how deleting your posts is going to solve anything.

I second that. I chose not to help out in this thread for that very reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: