Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nightly updates have stopped working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Nightly updates have stopped working Reply with quote

All three of my machines are getting messages saying they did not connect overnight to update their Channel Guides. I've checked the dial out number in 714 and 949 and I do get modem handshake tones when they're called.

I just tried a #4 Net Connect from the 243-Zones menu, but received a message that "There was a problem transferring information from the Replay TV Service."

This has been going on for a few days now, even tho the machines otherwise operate perfectly.

Any ideas? Any new news on the Guides staying online?

TIA!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guide is still on line, but there have been several reports of problems with the dial-up phone numbers. You'll probably have to contact ReplayTV support to see if they can help you find a working phone number...

Henry
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, fyi...

I did confirm that the number I was using was operable (I was able to manually update two different machines using it), but I note on a 3rd machine this a.m. that it failed again overnight. That might be due to the other machines banging on the number at the same time from my single analog phone line.

I'll try a manual update on this 3rd machine later.

Thanks.
lewisjones
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: failure to load guide info after connection established Reply with quote

I am also having trouble getting new guide info. I have two machines connecting on two different numbers and it gets to the "connection established" message and then just sits there indefinitely and no guide data is downloaded as usual. I've tried a couple of other numbers with the same results. On one occassion only, it got to 38% and finally did a reboot of itself after about 15 min. Any thoughts would be most appreciated? Are they having network problems or is anyone still able to download? If so from what number In which zip code. Thanks much!
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of my machines have settled down and seem to be connecting correctly -- all to the same local "primary" number in 949. I've tested a half dozen of the numbers by just calling them and modems are answering.

My fourth machine seems to have a software problem. It will manually connect, but if I sit thru the entire d/l sequence, I'm seeing a message at its end about a hard drive problem, and the Channel Guide won't populate. The machine does not seem to be autodialing in the early a.m.

I have a spare hard drive and will replace it, but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Thanks for your reply.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rallenr wrote:
I've tested a half dozen of the numbers by just calling them and modems are answering.

Just to let you know, it isn't clear that is sufficient to determine if the numbers are usable or not. There have been several posts about using numbers that connect with modem tones but don't complete net connects, so I think the only way to know for sure is to actually use them to perform a net connect...

Henry
sonicblasted
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Customer Support call info Reply with quote

I called customer support and waited 20 minutes until someone advised me that the support people who support Replay products had already left for the day (even though it's supposed to be until 5 PM Pacific and this was at 2 PM). She was very polite and kindly took my name and number and I'm supposed to get a call back tomorrow or the next day!! She said that her co-worker did mention that we should just try all the phone numbers available in an effort to get the channel guide data.

ALL of the following efforts have failed when I tried them:
--Rebooting & forcing dial-up to standard number
--Forcing dial-up & calling several numbers
--Forcing it to get new dial-in numbers from the 800 number - this connection ultimately failed, too!
--Clearing the channel guide and forcing connection and upload
--Resetting to factory (therefore losing all my previous recordings) & forcing a reconnect

**All of these end up with the machine clearly connecting and communicating--sometimes for several minutes and through several steps (setting clock, setting timezones, etc.), then ultimately some type of error message (modem hangs up, network error, etc.).

If I have any success with the support guys I will sure more.
fifi
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called at support 11:30 central and did reach someone (after 18 min. of holding). She told me that it was my modem and that if it was their server she would be flooded with calls. I have two replays and I have tried to connect with both of them to no avail. Same issue with both...it will connect, it will transfer, but it stops and tells me that the modem hung up.
I have now tried every number listed (primary and alternate). I have, as she suggested, tried the long distance ones.
My frustration came in that she was in complete denial that the problem could be on their end.
The only suggestion that she had that I have not tried was slowing down the modem. To do that you have to click the zones button, and I do not have the original remote.
If anyone hears of a number that works in the kansas city area... PLEASE let me know.
Bradr19
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: MINE QUIT AS WELL Reply with quote

Both my units Panasonic HS2000 and my friends quit updating as well.
The problem certainly exists with Replay. Not sure what to do.
Nothing seems to help.
Post as soon as solution is found.
Brad
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you check out this thread on AVSForum. It sounds like ReplayTV is working on it, but remember that ReplayTV has very little to do with the dial-up service. ReplayTV simply provides Internet service that supplies the net connect. They depend on dial-up ISPs to provide the dial-up service to connect the ReplayTVs to the Internet so as to access their servers. It sounds to me like this is a problem with the dial-up ISPs, but I'm not sure I understand what could have caused this phenomenon...

Henry
DICMAR
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: CHANNEL GUIDE NOT DOWNLOADING Reply with quote

I HAVE A REPLAYTV 3060 AND MY CHANNEL GUIDE DOWNLOAD QUIT WORKING THE FIRST PART OF FEB. 2012. I MADE MANY CALLS TO REPLAYTV SUPPORT, AND TRIED MANY THINGS THAT THEY SUGGESTED. WE COULD NOT GET ANY TO WORK. TODAY I CALLED AND THEY FINALLY SAID THAT THEY HAVE A PROBLEM AND ARE WORKING ON IT. THEY DO NOT KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE CORRECTED. THEY SAID TO CHECK BACK IN A FEW DAYS. AT THE PRESENT TIME MY CHANNEL GUIDE IS LISTED BUT EACH CHANNEL IS BLANK.

I AM NEW AT THIS SO I HOPE IT IS OK.
DICMAR
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MINE QUIT AS WELL Reply with quote

Bradr19 wrote:
Both my units Panasonic HS2000 and my friends quit updating as well.
The problem certainly exists with Replay. Not sure what to do.
Nothing seems to help.
Post as soon as solution is found.
Brad

HELLO I AM NEW AT THIS SO I HOPE YOU GET THIS.. I POSTED THIS ALSO. I TALKED TO REPLAYTV TODAY AND THEY SAID THEY ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH UPDATING THE CHANNEL GUIDE. THEY ARE WORKING ON IT AND FOR ME TO CHECK BACK WITH THEM.
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I'm finding the overnight updates sporadic. Happens one day and not the next. It was successful early this a.m. on at least one of my machines, but it failed on 2/21, 2/13, 2/11, 2/4 and 2/3.

I did speak to Replay a few days ago and found them quite helpful, but not generous with information (that frankly they may not have).

I did replace a hard disk which would not dial out to update the Channel Guide (it kept getting a busy). The very helpful Replay guy said to erase the areacode/prefix in the setup (backspace over it) and the zipcode. I accomplished that and it was able to perform the complete update from a viable number in 949, so I was very happy for that assistance. Good job, Replay.
DICMAR
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rallenr wrote:
Thanks for that. I'm finding the overnight updates sporadic. Happens one day and not the next. It was successful early this a.m. on at least one of my machines, but it failed on 2/21, 2/13, 2/11, 2/4 and 2/3.

I did speak to Replay a few days ago and found them quite helpful, but not generous with information (that frankly they may not have).

I did replace a hard disk which would not dial out to update the Channel Guide (it kept getting a busy). The very helpful Replay guy said to erase the areacode/prefix in the setup (backspace over it) and the zipcode. I accomplished that and it was able to perform the complete update from a viable number in 949, so I was very happy for that assistance. Good job, Replay.

You're welcome. Mine has failed every day since the end of Jan. I have called Replay about 10 times since 2/3. They were helpful. They first said it was probably my telephone number that I was using and for me to try a different number.. I had 14 numbers to try. It took 40 minutes each to try. Some of them I tried 2-3 times. It took me several days to do it. I called some more and they had me to try other things. One thing was to go to different areas such as Texas and San Francisco, which was 940-447 and 650-779, respectively. That did not work. The last thing that I tried was to go to Prefix-Zone and set the modem at 33.6. That did not work. Then, like I said they finally said that they have found out that they have trouble and are working on it, to call back in a couple days. They do not know how long that it will take.

Do you have the complete number that you tried... 949... There were 3 more numbers that they gave me... ie.. 940-447 to make it work. I wish that I could make it work sporadically.

Thanks and Good luck.
DICMAR
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW REPLAYTV MAKES ANY MONEY TO CONTINUE THE SERVICE? IT IS BEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE ON AVS SAYING THAT THEY HAVE LOST THEIR CHANNEL GUIDE.
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DICMAR wrote:
Quote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW REPLAYTV MAKES ANY MONEY TO CONTINUE THE SERVICE? IT IS BEGINNING TO LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOING OUT OF BUSINESS. THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE ON AVS SAYING THAT THEY HAVE LOST THEIR CHANNEL GUIDE.

At this point, I think it's more about avoiding bad customer will. Panasonic and Replaytv (now owned by DirectTV) promised lifetime channel guide support. They recently tried to shut down the service, then changed their minds due to negative feedback - see:

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/replaytv/

My "shooting from the hip" guess is that they made a dial access change in an attempt to save money, and that change has caused problems.
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. They tried to economize on something that didn't work. I had another failure overnight on at least one machine.

I suspect it was Panasonic that got the message about cancelling the service. They're having other troubles, and at least in California they were getting heat from a state consumer agency about dropping the commitment they'd (perhaps foolishly) made to we Showstopper users. And certainly there was other pressure being applied.
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rallenr wrote:

I suspect it was Panasonic that got the message about cancelling the service. They're having other troubles, and at least in California they were getting heat from a state consumer agency about dropping the commitment they'd (perhaps foolishly) made to we Showstopper users. And certainly there was other pressure being applied.

The irony here is that Panasonic only made the dialup units, whereas ReplayTV went onto Ethernet attached ones that I'm guessing are working fine.

I was able to do a fast, full update to my two local dial units by re-enabling FREESCO for virtual dial and WiRNS V2 to get the channel data from the Replaytv servers.
DICMAR
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH REPLAYTV FOR OVER AN HOUR. THEY PUT ME THROUGH THE SAME PROCEDURE THAT THEY DID BEFORE THAT DID NOT WORK. IT HAS NOT WORKED THIS TIME AND IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO QUIT. I HAVE WENT THROUGH THEIR PROCEDURES OVER 15 TIMES. I ASK THEM HOW LONG WOULD IT BE BEFORE THEY CORRECT THIS PROBLEM WITH CHANNEL GUIDE DOWNLOAD. SHE SAID ABOUT 2 WEEKS OR MAYBE MORE.
cz10
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Im having the same problem over a network connection Reply with quote

I started having the same issue a week ago or so. I chalked it up to some networking issues with a wireless client device I use to conect my slingbox, BluRay player and Replay 5000 to my network. But I ran a temporary cat 5 cable accross the room the the 5000 and still no joy. So I am not sure changing dial-up numbers will get you any where.

But at least it will still act as a VCR. Before, when I had lost the network connection, it went brain dead and you could not do a manual recording (which I had to do after the digital conversion as I did not have a converter box that the Replay would contol). At least now I can at least program it to record by time and channel (I only have over the air digital service and now use a Channel Master CM7000 D/A converter box that the 5000 controls just fine). I rarely want to record something other then News Hour & Washington week anyway, so it is no big deal (we aren't big TV watchers other then those 2 programs, DVDs or whatever we want to stream over the internet. I refuse to pay for Cable or Satellite - don't need it).
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Im having the same problem over a network connection Reply with quote

cz10 wrote:
I started having the same issue a week ago or so. I chalked it up to some networking issues with a wireless client device I use to conect my slingbox, BluRay player and Replay 5000 to my network. But I ran a temporary cat 5 cable accross the room the the 5000 and still no joy. So I am not sure changing dial-up numbers will get you any where.

But at least it will still act as a VCR. Before, when I had lost the network connection, it went brain dead and you could not do a manual recording (which I had to do after the digital conversion as I did not have a converter box that the Replay would contol). At least now I can at least program it to record by time and channel (I only have over the air digital service and now use a Channel Master CM7000 D/A converter box that the 5000 controls just fine). I rarely want to record something other then News Hour & Washington week anyway, so it is no big deal (we aren't big TV watchers other then those 2 programs, DVDs or whatever we want to stream over the internet. I refuse to pay for Cable or Satellite - don't need it).

The 5000 is very different in this regard. The others are posting about the earlier models (which is why this thread is in the "Showstopper & ReplayTV 2000/3000" forum) , which are dial up only, and have no probelms performing manual recordings when they can't connect. The newer models require a net connect in order to function properly, the older models do not...

There are no other posts of any other networked RTVs having problems net connecting via Ethernet (I'm certianly not having any problem), so I think your problem must be localized to something in your setup...

If you wanted to be able to at least use your 5000 for manual recordings, then you could setup something like WiRNS to provide it net connect capabilities so that it would remain functioning...

Henry
cz10
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry

I got here via a google search for replay program updates and missed the showstopper catagory.

Odd that nothing as far as the 5000 changed and when I put it to a hardwire connection the same result. I hav e another 5000 at my other house that we don't use since it is not covered by digital broadcast (hence the slingbox). I'll have to bring it here and try it. Otherwise - no big deal.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cz10 wrote:
Odd that nothing as far as the 5000 changed and when I put it to a hardwire connection the same result. I hav e another 5000 at my other house that we don't use since it is not covered by digital broadcast (hence the slingbox). I'll have to bring it here and try it. Otherwise - no big deal.

If you want to describe what's happening in more detail, it may be easy to solve. It might be as simple as clearing your channel guide (I'll explain if your details lead to that conclusion)...

Henry
cz10
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it doesn't contain anything private, I'm posting your PM for the benefit of all:

cz10 wrote:
The problem is no program listings in the program guide. I have a list of stations down the left column but the rows where the programs would be is blank. When I try to connect to the replay server manually, I eventually get an error message. I have a couple of things I want to try. If no joy, I will try to get screen shots to send you along with more exact details of what happens.

Thanks

Sounds like your unit has been failing the daily net connect for awhile such that the program guide data has run out. You need to explain what happens when you connect manually and get an error. This sounds like the kind of situation where clearing the channel guide will likely help out. If you just want to try it, you use 2-4-3-Zones from your remote and select clear channel guide TWICE in a row and then try the manual connect and see if it works any better. But, this really depends on the error you are currently getting. If the problem is in connecting itself, like it sits on Setting Clock for a minute before moving on, then clearing the channel guide will just get rid of your complete program guide and you'll be left with nothing. So, make sure that it's not an actual connection problem first before you try clearing the channel guide. You might want to go into your network settings and try changing your settings just to have it test that it can connect properly...

Henry
cz10
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a PM because didn't want to further polute this thread with an OT post...

Found the problem. When I was fiddleing with the wireless client device, I had to reset it. The default is a wireless access point with an active DHCP server, so it served up a bogus IP address to the Replay and once I did a replace/renew, it was all better.

Doh!!!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cz10 wrote:
I sent a PM because didn't want to further polute this thread with an OT post...

Yeah, I know, and I apprecate that. I took that into consideration when I posted your PM, but I figured we were already in that deep into the converstation and might as well finish it off. I was going to split your post into a new topic, but since your very first post and my very first reply refer to the older dial-up model, it would be out of context. I don't think this thread is too very long, and it's certainly possible that others might come across it in the same way you did...

cz10 wrote:
Found the problem. When I was fiddleing with the wireless client device, I had to reset it. The default is a wireless access point with an active DHCP server, so it served up a bogus IP address to the Replay and once I did a replace/renew, it was all better.

Glad you figured it out! Although, I'm surprised that when you hard wired it, that it didn't work properly at that time. Although, I guess your point is that the settings in the RTV were wrong, even when you hard wired it, so that's why it still didn't work. That's why I suggested you going into the RTV network settings to see if things were setup correctly...

Henry
cz10
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had looked at the network settings but didn't catch the bogus IP. I maintain 4 different networks and this one has DHCP addresses in a different range then the others and the bogus one would have been correct for the other networks.

I guess when I hardwired it for some reason it held on to the bogus IP.
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my machines were down yesterday and could not even get connected to change phone numbers, but today I could and changed to a number around 100 miles from me in the boondocks hoping not too much traffic and both machine connected and loaded the Channel Guide, hope it stays OK and not drop the Guide later. Will keep an eye on my messages to make sure I keep connecting at night.
First machine took 2 3/4 hours download Guide and all that goes with it, don't know how long the second one took and I left the house after I saw it was connected.
I am fortunate that I do not pay for LD or I would have one hell of a bill at the end of the month.
rallenr
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All four of my machines have consistently failed to update the Channel Guide this week. Only one even has its Guide listing intact; the others are blank.

Trying 243-Zones Net Connect runs for at least 30 minutes, but seems to fail at writing to the hard disk.

Time to call Replay again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: