Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Supply Fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Power Supply Fix Reply with quote

I have 13 RTV 5000 series between two homes so I've gotten pretty resourceful at keeping them all alive. I bought some of them on ebay just to keep for parts but keep them all plugged in and working. Today one of them stopped though. The blue light was on but there was no video.
Rebooted - not even the blue light.

As had happened on another unit, I suspected a power supply problem. Popped the hood and sure enough, the 2200uf 10volt cap had blown - exactly the same one as in the other machine. Replacing the cap brought it back to life.

For those who don't know the difference between an electrolytic cap and a baseball cap allow me explain. The power supply board is in the front left corner of the unit and has the power cord plugged into it. The cap in question is one of the round black cylinders on the right side of the board. This specific cap is next to a coil and is located 1" in from the right side and 1.25" in from the front side of the board.

So how did I immediately know the cap had blown? You'll notice that all the caps have a flat top with an X scored on the top. The purpose of the scoring is to provide a weak point for the cap when it pops. You may notice some dirt and/or a small hole and/or a bulge in the top of the cap.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can remove and replace the cap in about 5 minutes once you've unplugged the unit and removed the board from the chassis. When installing an electrolytic cap you MUST OBSERVE POLARITY! One side of the cap will be marked with a stripe with a "-" sign. That side goes into the shaded, rearward hole on the board.

If you're not comfortable soldering, any electronics repair shop can do it for you. The cap itself is less than $2. If you don't have an electronics supply store nearby you can order from Radio Shack or Jameco (the better choice).

Hope this helps someone out there in ReplayTV Land!
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We learned in EE class years ago that if you let the "magic smoke" out of the capacitor it stops working. All electronics runs on magic smoke.

Wasn't there a quote in a movie... "I love the smell of electrolyte in the morning?"
jhagen
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Power Supply Repair Reply with quote

For those looking to get their Replay 5xxx power supply or the power supply cable, I can repair them for you.

I replace 12 caps on the power supply and then test it in a spare replay for a minimum of 4 hours.

I also repair the CM-7000 and CM-7001 D2A converter boxes replacing 9 caps on the power supply and 2 on the logic board.

Send me a PM on the Planet Replay forum contact: jhagen

I will send you a PM with details on the cost, what and where to send it.

I will also answer questions if you are trying to repair it yourself.

Last edited by jhagen on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to recommend the work offered by JHagen. I've sent several CM-7000 and Replay power supplies to him for his magic. The units are returned promptly, and work flawlessly with I suspect a better life expectancy than the original equipment.
Cliff
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
We learned in EE class years ago that if you let the "magic smoke" out of the capacitor it stops working. All electronics runs on magic smoke.

Wasn't there a quote in a movie... "I love the smell of electrolyte in the morning?"
if i knew there was "magic smoke" in caps i could have saved alot of money back in the '70s---d 😉
lzep
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Power Supply Fix Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
I have 13 RTV 5000 series between two homes so I've gotten pretty resourceful at keeping them all alive. I bought some of them on ebay just to keep for parts but keep them all plugged in and working. Today one of them stopped though. The blue light was on but there was no video.
Rebooted - not even the blue light.

As had happened on another unit, I suspected a power supply problem. Popped the hood and sure enough, the 2200uf 10volt cap had blown - exactly the same one as in the other machine. Replacing the cap brought it back to life.

For those who don't know the difference between an electrolytic cap and a baseball cap allow me explain. The power supply board is in the front left corner of the unit and has the power cord plugged into it. The cap in question is one of the round black cylinders on the right side of the board. This specific cap is next to a coil and is located 1" in from the right side and 1.25" in from the front side of the board.

So how did I immediately know the cap had blown? You'll notice that all the caps have a flat top with an X scored on the top. The purpose of the scoring is to provide a weak point for the cap when it pops. You may notice some dirt and/or a small hole and/or a bulge in the top of the cap.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can remove and replace the cap in about 5 minutes once you've unplugged the unit and removed the board from the chassis. When installing an electrolytic cap you MUST OBSERVE POLARITY! One side of the cap will be marked with a stripe with a "-" sign. That side goes into the shaded, rearward hole on the board.

If you're not comfortable soldering, any electronics repair shop can do it for you. The cap itself is less than $2. If you don't have an electronics supply store nearby you can order from Radio Shack or Jameco (the better choice).

Hope this helps someone out there in ReplayTV Land!

Thank you so much for this post. As far as mine goes, the 2200 was toast. In addition, there was a 47uf 50V cap nearby which had a very high ESR. I replaced that one as well. The others checked out OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: