Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To Run IVSmagic Under Windows 7 x64

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwise
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: How To Run IVSmagic Under Windows 7 x64 Reply with quote

For some reason trying to install IVSmagic on Windows 7 x64 causes an error when installing to the "Program Files (x86)" directory, resulting in the message:
PHP Error
Error parsing C:\Program Files (x86)IVSmagic\PHP\php.ini on line 666

Simply change the install directory to something OUTSIDE of the "Program Files (x86) directory, such as simply:
C:\IVSmagic

Don't forget that when it installs, it asks if you want it to be registered as a service (recommended, starts IVSmagic automatically every time you start Windows from then on), but it does NOT start up IVSmagic on its own after the install. Be sure to remember to go to:
Start/All Programs/IVSmagic/Start IVSmagic Service

It takes a little while for the web server to get up and running even after the IVSmagic startup dialog disappears, so be patient (15-30sec or so), but then you should be able to view IVSmagic using your web browser by going to:
Start/All Programs/IVSmagic/IVSmagic
(or going to the IPAddress:WebPort you used during installation)

Be sure to run the "Update Check" at the bottom left of the IVSmagic web screen to get the full 1.0.0.0 version.

The "Update Check" should result in the screen updating to say:
NEW UPDATES ARE AVAILABLE! click HERE to download and install

Click on the "HERE" and follow the new link to keep track of the Updater Log and refresh now and then until the update is complete. Running the Updater to go from "version 0.9.8.4" to "1.0.0.0 final" while IVSmagic is running will case the message:
warning: c:\ivsmagic\ioncube\ioncube_loader_win_5.0.dll is in use!

Although it states that a reboot is required, you can get around that by stopping the IVSmagic service, deleting the c:\ivsmagic\ioncube\ioncube_loader_win_5.0.dll file, and renaming c:\ivsmagic\ioncube\ioncube_loader_win_5.0.dll~ to c:\ivsmagic\ioncube\ioncube_loader_win_5.0.dll then Start the IVSmagic service again manually as before.

Continue setting up IVSmagic by configuring the "replays" and "scheduler".

Hopefully this will help others, and make it easier for me to recall how I did this should I ever need to reinstall again .

Jim
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip. I was able to install on Win 7 64 bit. The one thing that I can't get to work is for it to give a virtual ISN.

Do you have a virutal ISN on your ivsM setup?
jimwise
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've never played around with virtual ISNs, and not really familiar what that would be for. I have my IVSmagic Local Guide tied to my Master ReplayTV (I've got two units), and run DVArchive to stream off-loaded shows back to the ReplayTV units. I also have WiRNS running but I tend to stick to IVSmagic and ReplayTV.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for ur efforts jw. i saw u answered on my thread as well. i too could not get an isn. i tried to rename the file to its original name and move it to the 86 file but could not hoping it would create an isn. i didnt have any problems updating from the w7 menu like u had from the webpage. it went right in. dan
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused by your post. Were you able to get a virtual ISN? I even tried using the mac address from one of my replays (which did work on the 32 bit version), but didn't want to work on the 64 bit.

srfrdan wrote:
thanks for ur efforts jw. i saw u answered on my thread as well. i too could not get an isn. i tried to rename the file to its original name and move it to the 86 file but could not hoping it would create an isn. i didnt have any problems updating from the w7 menu like u had from the webpage. it went right in. dan
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

negative-no isn. updating to 1.0.0 is easier from the start menu updater tab.
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choliscott wrote:
Thank you for the tip. I was able to install on Win 7 64 bit. The one thing that I can't get to work is for it to give a virtual ISN.

Try adding your computer's MAC address to the ivsm.ini file. For Vista I added the following:

;Vista doesn't automatically pick up the computer's MAC address, so it must be entered manually
custom_mac_address=00:E0:4D:56:35:E2
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tip. I just forgot to mention that I am using this already on my 32bit verson of Win 7. When I try to add the custom_mac_address line in the 64bit version, I cannot get an ISN whatsoever.

On the 32 bit, if i used the mac address from one of the replays, it gave the computer the same isn as the replay, but that didn't work when i tried it on the 64 bit version.

fbreshears wrote:
choliscott wrote:

Try adding your computer's MAC address to the ivsm.ini file. For Vista I added the following:

;Vista doesn't automatically pick up the computer's MAC address, so it must be entered manually
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try adding your computer's MAC address to the ivsm.ini file
i now get a replaytv serial number but still no isn after adding the mac. running w7-64
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By chance, did you try using the mac address from your actual replay? Another thread mentioned that & said they were able to get the same ISN as the replay. When I tried that it worked on the 32 bit, but no such luck on 64 bit.

srfrdan wrote:
Quote:
Try adding your computer's MAC address to the ivsm.ini file
i now get a replaytv serial number but still no isn after adding the mac. running w7-64
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay-i upgraded to w7-ult and then downloaded virtual pc and xp mode. ivs magic now works perfect and poopli updater works too. i cant get poopli + ivs magic to work yet which is my fav. xp mode is xp pro os that runs as a seperate computer. it has to completely set up includung virus protection and os updates.
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreshears wrote:
choliscott wrote:

Yep, as with others, that tip netted me a unique Serial Number for my Virtual Replay... but no ISN.
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update: Using my actual MAC address didn't produce an ISN (on Windows 7 64-bit), but, on a hunch, I replaced the first 2 characters, "84," with "00" -- and, voila!, I have an ISN for my Virtual Replay.

So far, most everything's working... send, receive, download, poopli update. The one thing verified as not working is loopback sends, but I suspect that has as much to do with the newly-installed dd-wrt firmware on my router (and issues with loopback) than anything else.

Last edited by krkaufman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try what you did my Win 7 64bit setup & see if I get the ISN

krkaufman wrote:
An update: Using my actual MAC address didn't produce an ISN (on Windows 7 64-bit), but, on a hunch, I replaced the first 2 characters, "84," with "00" -- and, voila!, I have an ISN.

So far, most everything's working... send, receive, download, poopli update. The one thing verified as not working is loopback sends, but I suspect that has as much to do with the newly-installed dd-wrt firmware on my router (and issues with loopback) than anything else.
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok an update. I can confirm what Krkaufman said did work.

& I thank you for figuring this out.

Add the following line in your ivsm.ini file

'Mac Address
custom_mac_address=<Your NIC card MAC Address goes here>

If you don't get an ISN on the Virtual Replay, Change the first 2 letters to 00 (2 zeros) & keep the rest the same.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IVSmagic uses "ipconfig /all" to find out the Windows IP address and MAC address. It first wants to find the IP address, so it looks for a line that says "IP Address". However, if you are running an IPv6 stack, such as comes standard on Windows 7, then this line says "IPv4 Address" instead, and IVSmagic won't find it. So, that's why it can't find your network settings on Windows 7. I assume that the same thing would happen on any earlier version of Windows if you installed the IPv6 stack, which probably explains the problem with Vista as well...

Henry
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
The one thing verified as not working is loopback sends, but I suspect that has as much to do with the newly-installed dd-wrt firmware on my router (and issues with loopback) than anything else.

And now, after applying a loopback fix for dd-wrt, loopback sends are working, as well. So that's everything, I guess. Thanks for the tips, all.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi-can someone post a copy or ex. copy of the .ini file cause i get an different error for every change i make here. for the php.ini and the conf.ini. thanks in advance. thanks for the pm krkaufman i just read that after posting the first part of this. the xpmodes not worth the upgrade money is it
d
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of Windows are you installing & is it 32bit or 64 bit

If you installed on 64 bit, did you select another folder besides the default? IVSM doesn't like the "Program Files (x86)" folder

srfrdan wrote:
hi-can someone post a copy or ex. copy of the .ini file cause i get an different error for every change i make here. for the php.ini and the conf.ini. thanks in advance. thanks for the pm krkaufman i just read that after posting the first part of this. the xpmodes not worth the upgrade money is it
d
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
hi-can someone post a copy or ex. copy of the .ini file cause i get an different error for every change i make here. for the php.ini and the conf.ini.

php.ini and conf.ini? Yikes, I've never touched 'em. The only file I had to tweak, to get it to work, was IVSm.ini, to add the special 'custom_mac_address=' parameter -- with the caveat that, echoing choliscott's comment, I installed IVSmagic under 'C:\ReplayTV\IVSmagic', both out of habit and to avoid Windows 7's strict protections on the 'C:\Program Files (x86)' folder. (The same protection problem would exist for the 'C:\Program Files' folder, but that one's for 64-bit applications, so IVSmagic wouldn't/shouldn't install there, anyway.)

srfrdan wrote:
thanks for the pm krkaufman i just read that after posting the first part of this. the xpmodes not worth the upgrade money is it

If your needs are limited (e.g. you don't need 3D), then XP Mode can be useful; but it seems like MS stopped short of working out all the kinks. The transparency for applications is nice, but I had all sorts of problems with startup timing (connections not available for startup apps within the VM) and host shutdown (hanging due to the VM needing interaction to close out). The main advantage of XP Mode, in the end, is simply licensing.
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choliscott wrote:
If you installed on 64 bit, did you select another folder besides the default? IVSM doesn't like the "Program Files (x86)" folder

Regarding where to install IVSmagic and the "C:\Program Files*" folders, I don't think it matters whether you're installing 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7. The "Program Files" folder protection issues are a product of a Vista-introduced protection mechanism*, not 64-bit Windows.

Any "Program Files" app that wants to modify the content of files within its installation directory will have a problem with the UAC mechanism. Personally, I've simply begun creating a 'C:\Program Files (legacy)' folder to hold older, non-UAC compatible apps. My ReplayTV-related apps are an exception, which I like to keep gathered under 'C:\ReplayTV'.

* edited to remove the specific reference to UAC, as the culprit, since I'm not sure whether the new folder protection is a function of UAC (User Account Control) or WRP (Windows Resource Protection), or both.

Last edited by krkaufman on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
The only file I had to tweak, to get it to work, was IVSm.ini, to add the special 'custom_mac_address=' parameter -- with the caveat that, echoing choliscott's comment, I installed IVSmagic under 'C:\ReplayTV\IVSmagic' ...

To be clear, the above special steps are in addition to all the other standard system prep you'd need to do to get IVSmagic to work. (e.g. assign static IPs to your PC and Replays, router port forwarding, etc)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
choliscott wrote:

Regarding where to install IVSmagic and the "C:\Program Files*" folders, I don't think it matters whether you're installing 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7. The "Program Files" folder protection issues are a product of a Vista-introduced protection mechanism*, not 64-bit Windows.

Any "Program Files" app that wants to modify the content of files within its installation directory will have a problem with the UAC mechanism. Personally, I've simply begun creating a 'C:\Program Files (legacy)' folder to hold older, non-UAC compatible apps. My ReplayTV-related apps are an exception, which I like to keep gathered under 'C:\ReplayTV'.

* edited to remove the specific reference to UAC, as the culprit, since I'm not sure whether the new folder protection is a function of UAC (User Account Control) or WRP (Windows Resource Protection), or both.

From reading other's posts, I belive the problem with the default installation directory is that it contains parenthesis in the name, not that the directory itself is protected. I believe that I read that someone tried quoting the directory name, and that took care of the problem. But, I may be mistaken...

Henry

*Update* I found the information here...
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
From reading other's posts, I belive the problem with the default installation directory is that it contains parenthesis in the name, not that the directory itself is protected. I believe that I read that someone tried quoting the directory name, and that took care of the problem..

Well, that'd make sense, since I've had problems trying to include local guide paths into IVSm that included parens.

edit: p.s. Though I still believe that installing IVSm under the "Program Files*" folder may create other issues. Windows 7 doesn't "like" programs trying to write to those folders.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the attention guys---ive got it working using the quote method and the custom mac. i dont know which was the clincher. my problem was even though im administrator i could not alter the files. so i copied them to a new notepad and made the changes and put that in the file and then deleted the originals. but that didnt work. the fact that i could make changes to the new notepad outside the file led me to try that with the original file and that worked. all i had to do is put them back in.--d
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello-again, for those who may be interested i just got the poopli updater to work on w7 by opening that directly to the program files as well, C:/Progam Files. thats it.-- d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: