Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IR Code for Comcast DTA30
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: IR Code for Comcast DTA30 Reply with quote

Anyone have a working IR code for the Comcast DTA30?
dlseek
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19419458#post19419458

worked for me...
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried 0476 and it didn't work for me. I tried it both with an IR Blaster and with the Tivo cable neither worked. I'm using a 5040. Did you do any tuning to get it to work?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed two Cisco DTA30 boxes and tried setting up the IR blaster to 0476 (and A, B, &C as well) but no joy. In setup I selected Digital Cable Box and then Motorola and then 0476 (also tried 0276 & 0810). Pressed right arrow, select and Save Changes. Tried the IR blaster touching and several inches away both direct to the box and to the IR cable - still nothing. Any updates on this issue. Does anyone here know if Comcast has another alternative?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, did you try the code 0237 update?

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Henry

0237 update? I just tried 0237 and no joy. Is there an updated file I need to add to the RTV? Any link to details would be appreciated.
Aloha, Bruce
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Henry

0237 update? I just tried 0237 and no joy. Is there an updated file I need to add to the RTV? Any link to details would be appreciated.

That's why I was asking Frank (fbreshears) if he had tried the update and if it had worked. The updated 0237 code works with several Comcast DTAs, I just don't know if it works with the DTA30 (which doesn't sound like the way they normally model number them). I see you've posted on AVSForum, so you can search there to see if there are any posts of getting the DTA30 operating (I didn't see any other that the same one you posted in about code 0476 supposedly working). If anyone can confirm that the DTA30 operates with the updated 0237 code, then you could go that approach. But, you have to get the confirmation first, which is why I was hoping that maybe Frank had tried it by now...

If you want to try updating the 0237 code and see if that makes it work, the directions are here and the files are here. If you want to just update code 0237, then use the Pace_DC50X_as_0237.zip file...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand now. The DTA30 is the Cisco unit. I have a good contact at Comcast who I'll call on Monday to see if if they might be able to swap these for a DCT100 or Pace unit as I've read that 0476 works on those. In the meantime I'm going to see if I can put all my recordings of the higher channels on the one RTV connected to a Scientific Atlanta box that I've had forever. Hopefully I won't have any conflicts. The broadcast channels are still analog so I can put those on the RTVs without a box. Comcast is a real PITA - wish they had spent the money on making their internet service reliable instead!
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, how easy would it be for you to take the hard drive out of your Replay unit, and do you know how to hook the IDE drive up as a secondary drive on your computer? If that's something you can do, adding the new code for your DTA box is easy.

Btw, we know that Frank (the original poster) has an RTV5040 but which unit do you have? The codes and procedure are different depending on which box you have.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a variety of 50xx machines all with upgraded drives now. No problem hooking them up to the PC. I use an IDE to USB adapter whenever I set up a new drive.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, then take a look at this post at AVS where Mikeyboy has posted files for all 3 versions of Replay (ie, 3k, 4k and 5k units). Use the ComcastDTAir Codeoverwrite0237 50005500.zip file for your R5k machine.

Installing the file is really simple. I have it installed in mine and I'm controlling my Comcast DTA no problem.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Cool, then take a look at this post at AVS where Mikeyboy has posted files for all 3 versions of Replay (ie, 3k, 4k and 5k units). Use the ComcastDTAir Codeoverwrite0237 50005500.zip file for your R5k machine.

Installing the file is really simple. I have it installed in mine and I'm controlling my Comcast DTA no problem.

THANK YOU!! I shall do that right now and report back tomorrow when it's done.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONE! and reporting back. Mikeyboy's little program worked perfectly and I now have control of the Cisco DTA30 Comcast box with 0237. Thanks Rob and Frank (and, of course, Mikeyboy)! It's truly amazing how this community continues to breath new life into our old machines! One note to those who who add the file: the first unit I did came right up and worked perfectly. The second one came up with no "video
detected" and required a second reboot to get it working but it's fine now.

Last edited by brobin111 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're using the updated code 0237 to control the DTA? That's good to know since it had been posted that it should work with the code 0476, especially since someone posted on AVSForum that it worked...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, 0237 is the working code once the update has been loaded. 0476 apparently works for the Motorola devices but not for the Cisco DTA30. In Houston, Comcast just started distributing the boxes in January so perhaps earlier versions were different although that seems unlikely from a logistics standpoint.
I did not need to build or order the IR cable offered on ebay. I just stuck the emitter to the left of the green LED on the front of the DTA30.

As an aside, I didn't realize it beforehand but one of the RTVs I opened had never been opened before. It's a 5080 and the original drive, a Maxtor Diamondback, is still going strong. Needless to say, there was a ton of dust inside so I cleaned it all up, rerouted the IDE cable above the drive to unblock the ventilation slots (to let even more dust in) and snugged up all the screws. I did have to cut the warranty sticker so I guess I'm on my own now .
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
Correct, 0237 is the working code once the update has been loaded. 0476 apparently works for the Motorola devices but not for the Cisco DTA30. In Houston, Comcast just started distributing the boxes in January so perhaps earlier versions were different although that seems unlikely from a logistics standpoint.

My daughter is also in Houston and I installed the 0237 update on her units back in Feb 2011, even before the DNNA attempted shutdown (I already had her running on a shared WiRNS due to the rampant RDDNS causing reboots problem). I forget what little DTA they gave her back then, it was a very small little thing with just coax in and out and an external IR receiver. I didn't realize that their rollout went on so long that she lost her analog stations over a year ago compared to you. Although, maybe you are talking about the basic cable switch over? Because the thing a year ago for her was that she only lost her analog cable channels, like TNT, TBS, USA, etc. Recently she also lost her basic analog cable stations as well because she still had one RTV recording directly from cable just the national networks, and she lost being able to record anything on that RTV (it's now a play-only device)...

brobin111 wrote:
I did not need to build or order the IR cable offered on ebay. I just stuck the emitter to the left of the green LED on the front of the DTA30.

I got my daughter the Gray's cables just because it seemed so much easier. It certainly made hooking the whole thing up quite a snap! The only thing with her DTAs was that they also have a built-in IR receiver, but you can only use one, either the built-in receiver or the external receiver. So, when I plugged in the Gray's cable, then the remote no longer functioned (probably to avoid bounce picked up by both the external receiver and internal receiver). Since she's using the DTAs for RTV recording solely, it doesn't matter, she could care less about the DTA remotes (the DTAs stay powered on all the time anyway, they don't have an on/off). But if someone were sharing a DTA between the RTV and a TV, then they might care to be able to use the DTA remote in addition to having the RTV control it. She simply watches live TV through the RTV via the DTA, so she has no care to use the DTA remote at all. Using the Gray's cable works out very nice!

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure sounds like a description of the Cisco DTA30 but they're probably all pretty similar. Apparently they are changing Houston over in sections because a friend in The Heights got his notice about 6 months before I did.

I'm in the Galleria area and the switch actually happened sometime after January 1st. However, we still do have all the local broadcast and public access channels (like city council meetings and local schools) available without the box. It could be that they are unscrambled digital as all my TVs are digital now or maybe all my other TVs are about to become doorstops. We rarely watch anything other than news in real time so it wouldn't be terrible.

At my other home in Honolulu things haven't changed at all - at least yet - and I don't know if Time-Warner has anything planned.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
I'm in the Galleria area and the switch actually happened sometime after January 1st. However, we still do have all the local broadcast and public access channels (like city council meetings and local schools) available without the box. It could be that they are unscrambled digital as all my TVs are digital now or maybe all my other TVs are about to become doorstops. We rarely watch anything other than news in real time so it wouldn't be terrible.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went in her area. They first got rid of the "premium" analog channels, so she needed the DTA to record TNT and USA and such. But, she still had one RTV directly connected to the cable that she recorded exclusively NBC, ABC, and CBS. Then, a few month ago they moved everything to digital, so now that RTV doesn't record any longer...

brobin111 wrote:
At my other home in Honolulu things haven't changed at all - at least yet - and I don't know if Time-Warner has anything planned.

TWC in San Antonio touts having complete analog coverage as being why you wouldn't want to switch to anthing else, that you don't need cable boxes at all!

You know that Houston was TWC before they did some kind of swap with Comcast. That's why you had analog in Houston at all for awhile after native Comcast locations had switched to digital. Except for the drop in customer service (angry I've experienced it personally!), it ran pretty similar to TWC for quite awhile...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember when they switched from TWC to Comcast... been downhill ever since. If they scrap the local channels too, as is probably inevitable from what you've seen, I'll put an antenna in the attic or on the roof (everything old is new again!) and go from there.

I'd rather buy my Replays a few OTA converters on ebay than donate monthly to Comcast's "screw-u-4-more-than-2" DTA rental scheme.

I already have dual, homerun coax runs to every TV so I can keep those RTV's humming for a long time!

Now I'll just have to find out which OTA cionverters can be controlled by our RTVs!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
Yeah, I remember when they switched from TWC to Comcast... been downhill ever since. If they scrap the local channels too, as is probably inevitable from what you've seen, I'll put an antenna in the attic or on the roof (everything old is new again!) and go from there.

I'd rather buy my Replays a few OTA converters on ebay than donate monthly to Comcast's "screw-u-4-more-than-2" DTA rental scheme.

I'm interested in you explaining this because I thought they only charged a couple of bucks a month for DTAs over the two free ones?

brobin111 wrote:
I already have dual, homerun coax runs to every TV so I can keep those RTV's humming for a long time!

I've got four to every TV and six to the main three!

brobin111 wrote:
Now I'll just have to find out which OTA cionverters can be controlled by our RTVs!

I wouild start with this thread and this post...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
brobin111 wrote:

I'm interested in you explaining this because I thought they only charged a couple of bucks a month for DTAs over the two free ones?

Henry

As you said, each one over the first 2 is actually $3+tax or $36/yr times 4 "extra" Replays = $144.00/year. That's about one month's Comcast bill. So that means paying a bit more than 8% more for absolutely no added value or service improvement. Put another way, it's paying 13 months of fees for 12 months of service - each year.

If I can pull what I need off the air for those 4 RTV's I can buy the 4 OTA converters for exactly the same as my first year's rental of cable DTAs and avoid the $144 fee each year thereafter (which will only go up). I wish my IRA did as well!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
brobin111 wrote:

Henry

As you said, each one over the first 2 is actually $3+tax or $36/yr times 4 "extra" Replays = $144.00/year. That's about one month's Comcast bill. So that means paying a bit more than 8% more for absolutely no added value or service improvement. Put another way, it's paying 13 months of fees for 12 months of service - each year.

If I can pull what I need off the air for those 4 RTV's I can buy the 4 OTA converters for exactly the same as my first year's rental of cable DTAs and avoid the $144 fee each year thereafter (which will only go up). I wish my IRA did as well!

I got you now! My daughter only needs one extra DTA, so if she needs it, it will only be an extra three bucks a month. The way you put it, I thought you were saying that they gouge you with the DTA charge. I knew the DTA charge was less than the STB charge. And, if you had a bunch of TVs that you wanted to watch premium channels on, then you'd need a bunch of STBs as well, which would really cost a lot! So, it seemed like their DTA charge was fairly reasonable, but not if you needed a bunch of them. I'm not sure if you could argue with them, then, that the FCC regulation means they might should provide you with the number of free DTAs that you need for all your legacy tuners. Although, the FCC regulation doesn't say they have to be free, it only says that they have to provide a method to get basic cable with an analog legacy TV. And, it doesn't say how many outlets either. So, I guess it would be kind of hard to justify needing basic cable on more than a few TVs...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no sooner did I tell you that the local channels were still analog here than Comcast went ahead and took them down this morning! Some of my TV's can tune the basic channels directly and one, a 3 year old Panasonic, cannot. I placed my order for a good antenna, a bunch of DTX9950's and some IR Blasters and hope to have everything good to go this weekend.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with that! The main thing I liked about the Comcast DTAs was being able to use the Gray's cable to directly connect it instead of worrying about setting up IR Blasters. You probably won't have any problems setting up those DTX9950s using IR Blasters, but I really like the direct connect approach...

Depending on what you want to watch on the older TV, it sounds like you can still have either one or two DTAs for your RTVs to use for recording, so that seems fairly reasonable. It's too bad someone doesn't make an inexpensive QAM tuner for purchase. It takes quite a few months of $3 to pay for a more than $100 CM7001. If there was something cheap out there, I'd probably buy one for my daughter to use...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an update, I installed the antenna in the attic tonight only half expecting it to work since I have a tile roof and foil backed insulation in the attic - both no-no's for an attic installation. I received one of the DTX9950 boxes already as well and hooked up one RTV for testing.

All the major broadcast stations transmit from an antenna farm about 12 miles southwest of me so I aimed it and tried it out. The DTX9950 reports a weak signal of 23% but, except for the CBS affiliate, all the stations are crystal clear. I'm going to order an amplifier to hopefully clear that up and also try aiming the antenna more precisely so I can pick up CBS as well.

One thing nice about the DTX9950, and maybe this goes for others as well, is that it will accept a channel without the dash. So, for channel 13-1 entering just 13 does the trick. That does what I need for the replays.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to refer you to the discussion on AVSForum about a new indoor antenna that they endorse...

The thing about just entering some number of digits and it tuning to the -1 subchannel is pretty normal. However, you should experiment with the remote and see if you can do something like entering 0131 or 131 and see if that makes it tune right away. If you can get it to work with a fixed number of digits, then you'll get a quicker tune than entering something like just '5' and then waiting for it to decide that means 5-1. If you can get it to tune right away using 0051 or 051, you'll be much happier!

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions you made don't seem to work with the DTX9950 but even just entering '2' for channel 2 switches it in about 2 seconds. Since only the RTV will be watching 'live' that should be OK. Any actual live TV is through the one with the premium channel cable box.

I realigned the antenna using a compass and now CBS is coming in fine with a 70% signal strength without a pre-amp. No dropouts. I still may add the preamp at some point.

As for getting OTA channel guide info that will allow me to control the DTX9950's, I selected 'DirectTV Houston' from the 'Satellite' option on IN1 as their local lineup matches the OTA lineup for the x.1 stations which is all I care about. I now have hundreds of non-working channels listed as well but that's OK.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
The suggestions you made don't seem to work with the DTX9950 but even just entering '2' for channel 2 switches it in about 2 seconds. Since only the RTV will be watching 'live' that should be OK. Any actual live TV is through the one with the premium channel cable box.

Well, you might play with the remote some more and see if there's any way to force it to tune. Does it have an "enter" key for example? But, try playing with entering zeroes and see if you can enter enough digits to force it to tune. Like, what happens if you enter a bunch of 5's, for example? Does it eventually tune if you enter a certain number of digits?

brobin111 wrote:
As for getting OTA channel guide info that will allow me to control the DTX9950's, I selected 'DirectTV Houston' from the 'Satellite' option on IN1 as their local lineup matches the OTA lineup for the x.1 stations which is all I care about. I now have hundreds of non-working channels listed as well but that's OK.

You can go into the RTV's add/remove channels to remove the channels that you aren't going to tune...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play with the remote some more tomorrow. When I tried deleting channels the RTV would reboot when I got to around channel 50. I tried just a few at a time but still rebooted. I'll play with that some more too but after 4 reboots I went on to more productive pursuits. I did some searching and found that someone on AVS had that problem and skipped some channels that caused the reboot.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
I'll play with the remote some more tomorrow. When I tried deleting channels the RTV would reboot when I got to around channel 50. I tried just a few at a time but still rebooted. I'll play with that some more too but after 4 reboots I went on to more productive pursuits. I did some searching and found that someone on AVS had that problem and skipped some channels that caused the reboot.

Yeah, that's a common problem with having channels with lots of shows per hour (like having 5 or 15 minute shows). I've real a whole lot of different tricks to fix the problem, most have to do with making sure that the Channel Guide isn't actually showing a bunch of shows per hour when you're removing the channels. Did you go through the Setup menu to remove the channels, or were you in the Channel Guide? If you were in the Setup menu, then you can't control the fact that the Channel Guide is showing you the very beginning of the guide data, and if that's a place where there's lots of shows per hour, then you can't do much about it. However, if you use something like Zap2It.com to look at the guide to see if you can find out which channel around 50 has lots of shows per hour, see if you can find a time period where they have fewer shows per hour. Then, go into the Channel Guide and move it to the time period that shouldn't have a problem, scroll down to the channels that you want to remove, and use the Jump button to select the channel numbers themselves and you should be able to remove the channels and scroll through them without changing the guide time that's showing. Another way was to clear the channel guide and only get the channel numbers populated without the actual guide data by either pressing the Stop button during the connect or pulling the cable so that you can at least go into the Channel Guide to edit the channels, but have no guide data showing.

Henry

*UPDATE* I just played with it some more, and it looks like it's easy to accomplish from the Setup menu as well. If you go into add/remove channels, you'll come up in the Channel Guide at the same time you would normally, but with the channel numbers selected. At this point you can simply scroll to the right to get to the time period that doesn't have too many shows per hour. Now you can scroll down the channel numbers and simply press Select to remove the channels that you don't want. It's a bit easier than going through the Channel Guide method because you don't have to use the menu on each channel to choose to remove the channel, just pressing select toggles the channel being removed or added. I couldn't remember how it was explained previously and didn't want to search for the post. I knew it involved moving the Channel Guide time period to a "good" time, so I had to play with different ways myself to see what was possible...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: