Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenL
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
...Why revert to 2.1 instead of staying with 3.0? I never used 2.1 so I don't know the differences.

It will pull listings from DNNA so no need for scraper/SD as long as the real mothership is still there... and with the special plugin it will do Auth, kill the nags, etc.

WiRNS 3.0 may do DNNA now but you might need to enter the zipcode in the registry since the config box is gone. We'll see what Henry does with that when the dust settles.
jobthedog
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Help please - configuring my replay to handle wirms3/xml scr Reply with quote

So I was trying to use MSN_XML scrapper and everything seems to work on my pc with the latest build of Wirns (3.0.4255.31791) I can see the channel guide for my basic comcast 12 channels via my localhost / 192.168.1.10 address, but when I go to configure my replay 5040, I change the zip code it goes out set clock / timezone, etc, comes back but never shows the Wirns server to choose under my "cable selections" I can't get it to allow me to get my list from my PC. Under my replay config I have the Lineup 1 set to the only other thing from none that shows up: Comcast Linn County(B)OR58856-XMLOut. but still nothing on my replay, can anyone offer me any advice? Do I need to have a redirect file or something...I know it must be something obvious, but I am scratching my head...any help would be appreciated.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try 2-4-3 Zones and Clear Guide then change the ZIP again to something you've never used.
GCC453
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Channel Guide Info not there Reply with quote

I have 1 5XXX connected directly to my Comcast cable to use analog cable channels up to about channel 35. Anything above that is digital (no analog option). I can connect to WiRNS and get the analog cable guide on this replay. The other 5XXX is connected through a Motorola digital box hooked up to input 1. When I try to get the digital cable lineup there is no option. If I tell the replay that it's an analog box, I can get the analog channel guide. I'm using SD & have both analog & digital cables selected. When 1st setting up WiRNS I only set up the analog 5XXX. After that appeared to be working then I tried to add the digital lineup. When I run "update guide" in WiRNS it says "complete" but when I look at "channel guide" in WiRNS there is no data. I'm sooo confused!???
Love the for dummies install info. Now all we need is a "How to use WiRNS for Dummies" topic.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. In your SD account verify that both lineups are subscribed to in your account.
2. Go to the WiRNS index page by entering the WiRNS PC's IP address in your browser. Do NOT use the 127.0.0.0 access.
3. Under Configuration: Guide Data be sure that 'Serve... to Replays' is checked.
4. Under Configuration: Replays check that both units are listed & EDIT each one to select the desired Channel Lineup.
5. Now check the Channel Guide to see if the data is there.
6. Go to the Replay connected to the digital box and verify your settings and then Change Zip Code to something completely different, like 99999, and continue.
7. Shortly you should be asked to select inputs. Select the digital box for the appropriate input and you should be offered the digital lineup.
GCC453
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111,
Thanks. I forgot to edit the replays after I added the digital lineup. All now seems OK. WiRNS is a steep learning curve with minimal instructions. A whole lot of: if I do this, then what? But I'm sticking with it. With help from all the folks here I'm making progress & really don't want to return to the Mothership just in case they pull the plug again.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide. Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
WiRNS for Dummies

***NOTE*** Switching Back To ReplayTV for Guide Updates? Go to the bottom of this post.

For many of us, setting up WiRNS for the first time is a daunting process. There is a lot to read and it's easy to overlook or misunderstand a step particularly if all this is new to you and you're only getting involved with this as a last resort to maintain your program guide service. To that end here is a brief checklist/tutorial to walk you through the setup in simple terms and address some of the likely pitfalls. This is NOT meant to replace the instructions. Read the instructions at www.WiRNS.com and consider this as the "Cliff Notes" version to assist you in better understanding the process.

You can get set up and running in under 20 minutes even if you know nothing about networking or computers - just stick with the instructions and don't overthink it.

1. Read the instructions at WiRNS.com and keep them handy.

2. Set up a free 7 day trial account at www.SchedulesDirect.org and upgrade later. IMPORTANT Be sure to choose your channel lineups when you set up your account. You may need to choose more than one. For example, let's say you have two Replays, one is connected to a digital cable box and the other directly to the cable from the wall. You would need to choose a digital lineup for the digital box and an analog (basic) lineup for the other unit. Schedules Direct will deliver both to WiRNS and WiRNS will deliver the correct one to each ReplayTV.

3. Decide what Windows PC you want to use as your WiRNS server. An old laptop is a good choice as you can set it up and leave it on a shelf with low power usage and it has it's own battery backup built right in. Most any PC as described in the WiRNS instructions will do. Even though it sits on a shelf you can access WiRNS from any other PC.

4. If you haven't already, set your PC up with a static address on your router. You don't have to do this right now but once you're up and running it should be done. There are lots of sites that will walk you through that simple process if you need help.

5. Unless you're running some other server from your PC on port 80 you shouldn't have to deal with any changes. If you are, see the WiRNS instructions for options on dealing with that. Did I just lose you? Don't worry, we'll get to that if we need to.

6. If you don't already have it, install Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542. It's free from Microsoft and installs in just a few minutes.

7. Download and run WiRNS 3.0 from www.wirns.com. There are two choices for the download file. Lets use the first one instead of the Nightly Build as it will be the most stable.

Now we're ready to set up WiRNS!

8. Accept the license agreement and during the setup you'll be asked to choose an IP address. The one in the box should be the PC you're using. Click it and then click Test Port 80. If it says Port 80 is OK click NEXT. If there is something else using Port 80 see the WiRNS instructions on how to resolve it.

9. In the next screen you'll be asked to choose a DNS address. Using the gateway (router) address works well (usually something like 192.168.0.1) or just choose the first one on the list.

10. Click NEXT, then TYPICAL, then UNcheck 'View readme file' then click FINISH. A red circle will appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the system tray to the left of the time. It will change to yellow and then to green.

Congratulations! You've just installed WiRNS. That wasn't so bad was it? Now lets make it work by configuring the settings to get the guide data from your Schedules Direct account and deliver it to all of your ReplayTV units.

11. To open the configuration you can either right click on the little green circle or enter your PC's IP address into your browser. Entering the IP address is preferred as the graphics won't display properly if you right click the green circle to get there. You will see the WiRNS index screen.

12. Under CONFIGURATION, click GUIDE DATA and enter your Schedules Direct login name in Login 1 and your password in Password 1. Now, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, click to place a check in the box in the lower left corner for 'Serve Guide Data to Replays' or else your units won't get the guide updates. Now click UPDATE.

13. Let's test what we've done to see if it works so far. Click ADMINISTRATION at the top of the page and then click UPDATE GUIDE. The update process takes about 5-7 minutes so be patient. Just click on STATUS every few minutes to see when you're done. After it finishes the Guide Update Completed box will show the time it finished.

That's it! We've almost finished the WiRNS setup but there's one thing left to do first. We have to tell each ReplayTV to look at WiRNS to get the program guide data instead of trying to connect to the now defunct ReplayTV "mothership" so grab your ReplayTV remote and let's get started.

14. At each ReplayTV unit, use your remote to go to MENU then SETUP then NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change Network.

If your Replay is set to automatically get its network settings, change it to Manual. Then, select CHANGE MANUAL SETTINGS.

For a Static IP Address you can use the same one that was already being used or select a new one. See wirns.com for more info.
Set Netmask to 255.255.255.0
The Gateway value should remain unchanged (probably your router IP address)
Set DNS Server 1 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Set DNS Server 2 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Click CONTINUE
Click Keep All Settings
Click Done

15. Next we have to select the new program guide data. Click NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change ZIP Code. You MUST enter a different ZIP Code from what you have now (it makes no difference what you use). After a few seconds you will be at the Connections screen and you will select what is connected to each input. When you make a selection you will be asked to choose a service provider for that input. You should see WiRNS:(your lineup). Click it and then click Keep All Settings and then click Done.

16. Scroll down and click Connect to ReplayTV Service Now and you will see the connection begin and the Channel Guide info being downloaded. This process can take several minutes.

17. When the connection is finished click EXIT and then press Channel Guide where you should see 12 glorious days of program guide information.

You've done it! Wasn't that easy? But wait there's more!

Now that you've got the program guide working again and you can enjoy the continued use of your ReplayTVs, you might want to explore some of the other great features that WiRNS has to offer. There's only one more thing you need to do in configuring WiRNS and that's to Edit your Replay Configurations in WiRNS. Just follow the very simple steps contained towards the end of the WiRNS setup instructions and you'll be done.

NAG SCREEN - That's the ReplayTV Reminder screen that keeps popping up. To get rid of it go to My Computer, and open the C:\wirns folder and look for a file named 'authcmds.example' and rename the file to just 'authcmds' before your next net connect and the Reminder Screen will be gone.

Now that you're enjoying the benefits of WiRNS don't forget to click that DONATE button and show your support for the fantastic efforts that the WiRNS creators have made.

SWITCHING BACK?

ReplayTV/DNNA have rescinded their decision to pull the plug on the Program Guide and continue as before for the time being. Here's how to switch your ReplayTV back to the "mothership."

1. From your ReplayTV remote press MENU: SETUP: Network and Input Settings: Change Network: Change Manual Settings then change the DNS1 to match the Gateway IP. Do the same for DNS2 or leave it blank. Press Continue then Change Zip Code and select a NEW Zip Code that you have NOT used before from a nearby area that has the same provider. After a NetConnect you will be taken through the steps to choose a lineup and finish up.

If you use the same Zip Codes you've been using you might get a 93a6000b error.

If there is no adjacent Zip Code with the same provider info, switch to a different one anyway, complete the process and then repeat switching back to your Zip Code. You can also try 2-4-3-Zones: Clear Channel Guide before going back to your Zip.
if u switch back to wirns2.1 to get the zones function fully operational, or whatever, u must remove the authcmds file or the replay will ask u for payment status and not let u watch tv. if this has happened to u just remove the file and net cannect again and alls well again. dan
KenL
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenL wrote:
...WiRNS 3.0 may do DNNA now but you might need to enter the zipcode in the registry since the config box is gone. We'll see what Henry does with that when the dust settles.

Henry has spoken and it was (apparently) deliberately and entirely removed for WiRNS 3.0 never to return. self-satisfied smirk

So WiRNS 2.1 is needed for WiRNS W/DNNA listings.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KenL wrote:
KenL wrote:
...WiRNS 3.0 may do DNNA now but you might need to enter the zipcode in the registry since the config box is gone. We'll see what Henry does with that when the dust settles.

Henry has spoken and it was (apparently) deliberately and entirely removed for WiRNS 3.0 never to return. self-satisfied smirk

So WiRNS 2.1 is needed for WiRNS W/DNNA listings.

That's a good thing and I want it to stay that way (WiRNS 3 having no DNNA contact).
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
KenL
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: I think the paranoia is (somewhat) overblown... Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
That's a good thing and I want it to stay that way (WiRNS 3 having no DNNA contact).

Well it sure can for your current copy of WiRNS 3.0. nod
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Kids These Days... Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
brobin111 wrote:
WiRNS for Dummies

***NOTE*** Switching Back To ReplayTV for Guide Updates? Go to the bottom of this post.

For many of us, setting up WiRNS for the first time is a daunting process. There is a lot to read and it's easy to overlook or misunderstand a step particularly if all this is new to you and you're only getting involved with this as a last resort to maintain your program guide service. To that end here is a brief checklist/tutorial to walk you through the setup in simple terms and address some of the likely pitfalls. This is NOT meant to replace the instructions. Read the instructions at www.WiRNS.com and consider this as the "Cliff Notes" version to assist you in better understanding the process.

You can get set up and running in under 20 minutes even if you know nothing about networking or computers - just stick with the instructions and don't overthink it.

1. Read the instructions at WiRNS.com and keep them handy.

2. Set up a free 7 day trial account at www.SchedulesDirect.org and upgrade later. IMPORTANT Be sure to choose your channel lineups when you set up your account. You may need to choose more than one. For example, let's say you have two Replays, one is connected to a digital cable box and the other directly to the cable from the wall. You would need to choose a digital lineup for the digital box and an analog (basic) lineup for the other unit. Schedules Direct will deliver both to WiRNS and WiRNS will deliver the correct one to each ReplayTV.

3. Decide what Windows PC you want to use as your WiRNS server. An old laptop is a good choice as you can set it up and leave it on a shelf with low power usage and it has it's own battery backup built right in. Most any PC as described in the WiRNS instructions will do. Even though it sits on a shelf you can access WiRNS from any other PC.

4. If you haven't already, set your PC up with a static address on your router. You don't have to do this right now but once you're up and running it should be done. There are lots of sites that will walk you through that simple process if you need help.

5. Unless you're running some other server from your PC on port 80 you shouldn't have to deal with any changes. If you are, see the WiRNS instructions for options on dealing with that. Did I just lose you? Don't worry, we'll get to that if we need to.

6. If you don't already have it, install Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542. It's free from Microsoft and installs in just a few minutes.

7. Download and run WiRNS 3.0 from www.wirns.com. There are two choices for the download file. Lets use the first one instead of the Nightly Build as it will be the most stable.

Now we're ready to set up WiRNS!

8. Accept the license agreement and during the setup you'll be asked to choose an IP address. The one in the box should be the PC you're using. Click it and then click Test Port 80. If it says Port 80 is OK click NEXT. If there is something else using Port 80 see the WiRNS instructions on how to resolve it.

9. In the next screen you'll be asked to choose a DNS address. Using the gateway (router) address works well (usually something like 192.168.0.1) or just choose the first one on the list.

10. Click NEXT, then TYPICAL, then UNcheck 'View readme file' then click FINISH. A red circle will appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the system tray to the left of the time. It will change to yellow and then to green.

Congratulations! You've just installed WiRNS. That wasn't so bad was it? Now lets make it work by configuring the settings to get the guide data from your Schedules Direct account and deliver it to all of your ReplayTV units.

11. To open the configuration you can either right click on the little green circle or enter your PC's IP address into your browser. Entering the IP address is preferred as the graphics won't display properly if you right click the green circle to get there. You will see the WiRNS index screen.

12. Under CONFIGURATION, click GUIDE DATA and enter your Schedules Direct login name in Login 1 and your password in Password 1. Now, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, click to place a check in the box in the lower left corner for 'Serve Guide Data to Replays' or else your units won't get the guide updates. Now click UPDATE.

13. Let's test what we've done to see if it works so far. Click ADMINISTRATION at the top of the page and then click UPDATE GUIDE. The update process takes about 5-7 minutes so be patient. Just click on STATUS every few minutes to see when you're done. After it finishes the Guide Update Completed box will show the time it finished.

That's it! We've almost finished the WiRNS setup but there's one thing left to do first. We have to tell each ReplayTV to look at WiRNS to get the program guide data instead of trying to connect to the now defunct ReplayTV "mothership" so grab your ReplayTV remote and let's get started.

14. At each ReplayTV unit, use your remote to go to MENU then SETUP then NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change Network.

If your Replay is set to automatically get its network settings, change it to Manual. Then, select CHANGE MANUAL SETTINGS.

For a Static IP Address you can use the same one that was already being used or select a new one. See wirns.com for more info.
Set Netmask to 255.255.255.0
The Gateway value should remain unchanged (probably your router IP address)
Set DNS Server 1 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Set DNS Server 2 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Click CONTINUE
Click Keep All Settings
Click Done

15. Next we have to select the new program guide data. Click NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change ZIP Code. You MUST enter a different ZIP Code from what you have now (it makes no difference what you use). After a few seconds you will be at the Connections screen and you will select what is connected to each input. When you make a selection you will be asked to choose a service provider for that input. You should see WiRNS:(your lineup). Click it and then click Keep All Settings and then click Done.

16. Scroll down and click Connect to ReplayTV Service Now and you will see the connection begin and the Channel Guide info being downloaded. This process can take several minutes.

17. When the connection is finished click EXIT and then press Channel Guide where you should see 12 glorious days of program guide information.

You've done it! Wasn't that easy? But wait there's more!

Now that you've got the program guide working again and you can enjoy the continued use of your ReplayTVs, you might want to explore some of the other great features that WiRNS has to offer. There's only one more thing you need to do in configuring WiRNS and that's to Edit your Replay Configurations in WiRNS. Just follow the very simple steps contained towards the end of the WiRNS setup instructions and you'll be done.

NAG SCREEN - That's the ReplayTV Reminder screen that keeps popping up. To get rid of it go to My Computer, and open the C:\wirns folder and look for a file named 'authcmds.example' and rename the file to just 'authcmds' before your next net connect and the Reminder Screen will be gone.

Now that you're enjoying the benefits of WiRNS don't forget to click that DONATE button and show your support for the fantastic efforts that the WiRNS creators have made.

SWITCHING BACK?

ReplayTV/DNNA have rescinded their decision to pull the plug on the Program Guide and continue as before for the time being. Here's how to switch your ReplayTV back to the "mothership."

1. From your ReplayTV remote press MENU: SETUP: Network and Input Settings: Change Network: Change Manual Settings then change the DNS1 to match the Gateway IP. Do the same for DNS2 or leave it blank. Press Continue then Change Zip Code and select a NEW Zip Code that you have NOT used before from a nearby area that has the same provider. After a NetConnect you will be taken through the steps to choose a lineup and finish up.

If there is no adjacent Zip Code with the same provider info, switch to a different one anyway, complete the process and then repeat switching back to your Zip Code. You can also try 2-4-3-Zones: Clear Channel Guide before going back to your Zip.
if u switch back to wirns2.1 to get the zones function fully operational, or whatever, u must remove the authcmds file or the replay will ask u for payment status and not let u watch tv. if this has happened to u just remove the file and net cannect again and alls well again. dan

[RANT: OLD FART / DISBELIEF MODE ON]
You, unnecessarily IMHO, QUOTEd the *ENTIRE* Post #1 only to reply in abbreviated, lowercase, SMS-speak.
You could have just QUOTEd the first line... sarcastic eye roll
Kids these days... disgusted
[Since I'm 'older than dirt', and have been around personal computers since *BEFORE* cassette tape storage - I *LOVED* moving UP to 8" 241K SSSD floppies, I always think about all the WASTED HDD space on forum servers. ]
[RANT: OLD FART / DISBELIEF MODE OFF]
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would take someone who knows what hes doing stick out tongue
kpdl
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went from 3.0 back to 2.1 and have no payment required screen?
KenL
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpdl wrote:

You need to install v1.5.0 of this plugin.

And if you mean the Replay became "unactivated", then you need to delete the file Authcmds.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpdl wrote:

DNNA isn't charging yet, so reverting to WiRNS 2.1 isn't changing anything about your activation currently. If DNNA decides to return your unit to a monthly status, then it will go back to a monthly activation...

Henry
upthereinthesky
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Switching Back? Reply with quote

Quote:
SWITCHING BACK?

Last edited by brobin111 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 13 times in total

Important!!
I switched back using these instructions, and my RTV totally hung on the splash screen. I disconnected the ethernet cable and rebooted and it started normally. I then changed the DNS settings back to the original, changed the zip code, and it appears to be working!!

Edit:

Well, not exactly. I'll keep working on it.

Bill
upthereinthesky
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mea Culpa:

Disregard my previous, incorrect and misleading, post. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that changing the DNS settings to the original router setup means that WiRNS won't be able to proxy your RTV units.

Here's what happened in this case:

I upgraded to WiRNS 3.0.
I immediately went into the menu: Administration | Update Wirns
WiRNS updated a bunch of files, and restarted itself.
Things started to go wrong. Guess what happened?

I neglected to reboot my computer after installing Version 3. I assume that the registry settings still reflected my Version 2 installation, and the update for Version 3 actually *** downgraded me back to version 2!! ***

For all I know, I may have ended up with a hybrid, with some dll files from one version and some from the other. At any rate, it was screwed up.

Anyway, I went back to V2 to get the Zones info. Everything really is working great now.

Duh.
h82w8
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Isaw the WIRNS for Dummies instructions, I figured that maybe even I would be able to get it up and running. I have a RTV4516 hooked up to Comcast thru a DC50X DTA. I can't use the Replay remote tochange channel because I don't have the proper RID file. I figured that if I installed WIRNS3 with the MyReplayZones plugin with the Comcast Blaster Additions I might be able to get the Replay working again the way it used to.

I got thru the WIRNS3 installation steps OK and was able to get the Update Guide step to complete successfully in Step 13.

The next step (14) was to get the correct input settings entered into my ReplayTV 4516. I put all the correct IP and DNS addresses in manually and clicked Continue, Keep All Settings, and Done. The Replay flashed Contacting Server followed by Setting Clock and then did nothing for a while and finally timed out with a msg saying ReplayTV was unable to connect to the ReplayTV Service to get local phone numbers and TV channels.

Unexpected result code (844c0002)

Try Connedting Again...

I tried again and got the same resulst except the error code changed to (851e001)

I backed up a step and tried changing the ZIP code, but still got the same results with the (851e001) error code.

The debug log shows...

[8/28/2012 10:26:19] DNS Socket Error: ConnectionReset
[8/28/2012 10:26:19] Host: production.replaytv.net

The log file shows...

[8/28/2012 10:15:02] WiRNS v3.0.4620 build 32810
[8/28/2012 10:15:02] (c) 2004-2012 rbolen70, Glenn1963 and hdonzis
[8/28/2012 10:15:02] Portions (c) 2003-2004 kjac
[8/28/2012 10:15:02] C:\WiRNS\wirns.log has been backed up to C:\WiRNS\wirns.log.20120828101502.txt
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] C:\WiRNS\wirns.debug.log has been backed up to C:\WiRNS\wirns.debug.log.20120828101502.txt
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] **************************************
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] Time Synchronizer (C)2001 Valer BOCAN <vbocan@dataman.ro>
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] Simple Network Time Protocol (see RFC 2030)
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] Modified for WiRNS by rbolen70
[8/28/2012 10:15:03] Connecting to: pool.ntp.org
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Local time: 8/28/2012 10:15:05 AM
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Precision: 1.10427941548649E+74 ms
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Poll Interval: 8 s
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Reference ID: tick.uh.edu (129.7.1.66)
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Root Dispersion: 16.204833984375 ms
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Round Trip Delay: 79 ms
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] Local Clock Offset: 2056 ms
[8/28/2012 10:15:05] **************************************
[8/28/2012 10:15:06] Checking connection to SchedulesDirect.
[8/28/2012 10:15:16] Purging old guide/lineup information
[8/28/2012 10:15:53] Update Time: 2012-08-28 10:15:16
[8/28/2012 10:15:53] Updating guide information in the database.
[8/28/2012 10:16:01] Updating guide for SchedulesDirect account: tjamba
[8/28/2012 10:16:01] Downloading guide information for: Tue Aug 28
[8/28/2012 10:16:40] Validating 12404 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Tue Aug 28
[8/28/2012 10:16:41] Found lineup: Comcast Prince William - Digital.
[8/28/2012 10:17:12] Downloading guide information for: Wed Aug 29
[8/28/2012 10:17:39] Validating 12351 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Wed Aug 29
[8/28/2012 10:18:07] Downloading guide information for: Fri Aug 31
[8/28/2012 10:18:39] Validating 12192 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Fri Aug 31
[8/28/2012 10:19:07] Downloading guide information for: Tue Sep 04
[8/28/2012 10:19:38] Validating 12446 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Tue Sep 04
[8/28/2012 10:20:06] Downloading guide information for: Wed Sep 05
[8/28/2012 10:20:31] Validating 12297 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Wed Sep 05
[8/28/2012 10:20:59] Downloading guide information for: Sun Sep 09
[8/28/2012 10:21:31] Validating 11670 schedules from SchedulesDirect for: Sun Sep 09
[8/28/2012 10:21:56] Vacuuming database
[8/28/2012 10:22:50] Parsing PPV Configurations.
[8/28/2012 10:22:50] Stopping ToDo Timer
[8/28/2012 10:22:50] Processing ReplayGuide Information.
[8/28/2012 10:22:50] Processing local shows.
[8/28/2012 10:22:50] Processing local shows done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:51] Refreshing Replays.
[8/28/2012 10:22:52] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: Mbdrm(192.168.0.185)
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Recording guide up to date.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Parsed 3/3 entries as of 8/28/2012 6:47AM.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Refreshing RecordingGuide for: TEDSLAPTOP(192.168.0.192)
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Parsed 0/0 entries as of 8/28/2012 10:22AM.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Refreshing Replays done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Refreshing ReplayGuide information.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Added 3 ReplayGuide shows for Mbdrm
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for TEDSLAPTOP
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Added 0 ReplayGuide shows for all
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Refreshing ReplayGuide information done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Checking for shows to hide from Poopli.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Checking for shows to hide from Poopli done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Updating ReplayGuide flags...
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Updated ReplayGuide flags in 0.0625 seconds.
[8/28/2012 10:22:53] Uploading ReplayGuide data to Poopli.
[8/28/2012 10:22:54] Uploading ReplayGuide data to Poopli done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:54] Scheduling JIT Recordings
[8/28/2012 10:22:54] Scheduling JIT Recordings complete
[8/28/2012 10:22:54] Checking Manual Recordings.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Checking One-Time Recordings.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Processing ToDo Information.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Building ToDo List for: Mbdrm
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Added 22 ToDo entries for Mbdrm in 0.203125 seconds.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Determining conflicts...
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Completed conflict determination in 0.015625 seconds.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Done.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Configured to refresh ToDo and Replay Guide every 240 minutes.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Collecting free memory
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Configured to update guide at: 8/29/2012 10:15 AM
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Loading/Refreshing Plugin Channel Guide Provider.
[8/28/2012 10:22:55] Loading ReplayZone genre data.
[8/28/2012 10:22:58] Loading Production Crew data.
[8/28/2012 10:23:00] Loaded/Refreshed Plugin Channel Guide Provider.
[8/28/2012 10:23:00] SchedulesDirect Messages:
[8/28/2012 10:23:00] SchedulesDirect Messages: Your subscription will expire: 2013-06-26T17:19:35Z
[8/28/2012 10:23:00] Ready to intercept/proxy ReplayTV requests
[8/28/2012 10:26:19] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:26:19] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:26:19] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:27:19] [DNS] Restarted DNS Proxy Server
[8/28/2012 10:28:40] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:05] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:05] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:05] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:30:05] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:06] [NTP] Proxying request to pool.ntp.org for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:06] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:37] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:37] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:37] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:30:38] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:38] [NTP] Proxying request to pool.ntp.org for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:38] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:40] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:40] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:41] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:30:41] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:42] [NTP] Proxying request to pool.ntp.org for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:30:42] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupLocal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:31:18] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:31:18] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupGlobal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:31:19] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:31:19] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:31:19] [NTP] Proxying request to pool.ntp.org for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:31:20] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupGlobal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:33:02] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:33:02] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Login (SetupGlobal) for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:33:02] [PLUGIN] NoServers initialized.
[8/28/2012 10:33:02] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.192 for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:33:03] [NTP] Proxying request to pool.ntp.org for 192.168.0.185
[8/28/2012 10:33:03] [PLUGIN] LoginLogout Skipping Logout (SetupGlobal) for 192.168.0.185

Any suggestions are appreciated.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

h82w8 wrote:
The Replay flashed Contacting Server followed by Setting Clock and then did nothing for a while and finally timed out with a msg saying ReplayTV was unable to connect to the ReplayTV Service to get local phone numbers and TV channels.

Did it sit saying Setting Clock for a minute and then timed out, or did it say Setting Clock briefly and then timed out? If it sat saying Setting Clock for a minute and then timed out, that typically means that the 4K wasn't able to get the time from WiRNS, but your WiRNS log seems to indicate that it was at least attempting to serve the time. It could be that WiRNS wasn't able to actually get the time from that time server, but that seems unlikely. So, I don't know, you're probably going to have to track down why the 4K isn't getting the time. You could use something like WireShark running on the WiRNS PC and see if the time messages are going in both directions. It could be some kind of Windows firewall thing, you might try turning off all Windows firewall while you attempt the net connect and see if that makes any difference...

If it said Setting Clock briefly and then timed out, the next thing should have been a time verification request, which I don't see in your log. That would tend to indicate that you don't have all the plugins installed for WiRNS, although that also seems unlikely. The fact that the time requests are logged and then no time verification request seems more like that the 4K didn't receive the time setting, which would be verified by the net connect sitting saying Setting Clock for 60 seconds and then timing out...

While I would encourage you to get WiRNS installed because you'll probably like using it, you can also get your Comcast IR Blaster codes installed by simply following the instructions at the bottom of this post, the instructions for connecting networked RTVs. Since you've already gone through changing your 4Ks network configuration to get it to connect to WiRNS, it should be a snap for you to change it to connect to LaHo instead and get your IR Blaster codes installed...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

h82w8 wrote:
The Replay flashed Contacting Server followed by Setting Clock and then did nothing for a while and finally timed out with a msg saying ReplayTV was unable to connect to the ReplayTV Service to get local phone numbers and TV channels.

I was looking at your log again and noticed that WiRNS logged that your 4K logged out right after getting the time, and I thought that was very strange. After answering my post above about when the RTV stalls, and trying running with the Windows firewalled disabled, if you still don't get anywhere, I have posted a new version of WiRNS that will log if the RTV makes any requests that it can't handle. So, if you could update WiRNS and then try again, I can hope that the updated WiRNS log will let us know what the problem is...

Henry
h82w8
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Henry,

You underestimate by ability to turn something that should be a snap into a day of frustration. I believe that my problem was caused by the fact that I had allowed the Replay to automatically find its IP address and then somewhere along the way, my router assigned it a different address. Once I got past that, things started to behave a little better and I tried the LaHo method to get the Comcast Blaster Code into my box. It sure seemed simple enough, but when it tried to connect to the network it seem to take a long time with no indication that anthing was happening so I clicked the cancel button it acknowledged that it was cancelling the process, but after several minutes of nothing happening, I turned of the Replay. It took a while to get things working again and being a quick learner, I had the Replay look up its IP and it had changed again!

This meant that I either needed to work faster or figure out how to assign a static IP address to my Replay. Long story short, I now know how to assign static IP addresses and I have a fully functional 4516 ReplayTV.

Thanks for your help and the help of all the other selfless souls who contribute their time and talents.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

h82w8 wrote:
This meant that I either needed to work faster or figure out how to assign a static IP address to my Replay. Long story short, I now know how to assign static IP addresses and I have a fully functional 4516 ReplayTV.

You must have a very short lease time setup on your DHCP server if it was changing that fast! You would normally setup a lease reservation if you wanted to prevent it from changing...

I see that you connected to LaHo, but I don't see that it upgraded your IR Blaster codes. Were you successful in getting your IR Blaster codes updated through WiRNS?

Henry
h82w8
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Henry,

I'm a blind man trying to feel his way thru a china shop (not really blind, just not very knowledgable about this wireless network stuff). I knew from all the post history that having a static IP set up for my Replay was pretty important, but I didn't know how to do it. Now I do. Now you tell me that I need to set up a lease reservation so I'll put that on my list of new things learn how to do.

I was successful in getting the Comcast blaster codes installed and to be honest, I'm not sure which process I tried was the one that worked. When I did the WIRNs for Dummies thing to update to WIRNS3, I also did your MyReplayZones Plugin install which should have loaded the Comcast code. It didn't seem to work as advertised which promped my initial post two days ago. Your response suggested the LaHo approach which I also tried and it didn't seem to work either. However, when I finally fixed the musical chairs issue I was having with my Replay's IP changing so frequently and was able to get a stable system working, I discovered that Comcast was now showing up as an option in the Setup/Network and Input Settings menu. Since the code that is working is 1982 I believe that it was the LaHo approach that worked.

So far, everything seem to still be working and the IP address for my Replay hasn't changed (because it's now a static address if I did it correctly). If it has a static address do I still need to set up a lease reservation to prevent it from changing?

One minor issue still remains that I will work on when we get back from vacation is that even though my Replay displays the correct channel line up, I can't get it to show up on WIRNS when I click on Tools / Current Channel Guide. It used to after I did the WIRNS3 install, but now it doesn't any more. I guess I don't care as long as the channels display Ok thru my Replay, but it seems odd that I used to be able to see it on my laptop and now I can't.

Thanks again for your help.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

h82w8 wrote:
I'm a blind man trying to feel his way thru a china shop (not really blind, just not very knowledgable about this wireless network stuff). I knew from all the post history that having a static IP set up for my Replay was pretty important, but I didn't know how to do it. Now I do. Now you tell me that I need to set up a lease reservation so I'll put that on my list of new things learn how to do.

I was simply stating that using a lease reservation is the way to keep your RTV's address from changing. There is a bug in the ReplayTV that makes its IP address change even though it is configured for a static IP address. So, you have to setup a lease reservation, which is the way to map a static address to a specific network device, in this case, your 4K. Once you have a lease reservation, it doesn't matter if you use a static or dynamic address, it will come out the same. But, if you want to be able to change your DNS address, unless you want to change it for your entire network (which seems unlikely), then you need to configure the RTV for a static address just so you can change its DNS setting...

The hope in the LaHo instructions was that the process would be so quick that this "bug" would not come into play. You have to have a very short least time, like maybe in the 5 minute range, in order to really have it be a problem that your address would change while you were trying to connect to LaHo. In the case of using WiRNS, you need the static address to be perminent, so you definitely need to do the lease reservation. However, since you were having problems using the LaHo approach, that's were I was surprised because I would hope that anyone could at least use a static address for a very short period of time without problem...

h82w8 wrote:
I was successful in getting the Comcast blaster codes installed and to be honest, I'm not sure which process I tried was the one that worked. When I did the WIRNs for Dummies thing to update to WIRNS3, I also did your MyReplayZones Plugin install which should have loaded the Comcast code. It didn't seem to work as advertised which promped my initial post two days ago. Your response suggested the LaHo approach which I also tried and it didn't seem to work either. However, when I finally fixed the musical chairs issue I was having with my Replay's IP changing so frequently and was able to get a stable system working, I discovered that Comcast was now showing up as an option in the Setup/Network and Input Settings menu. Since the code that is working is 1982 I believe that it was the LaHo approach that worked.

You can't tell because the WiRNS package and LaHo are exactly the same. I packaged the files from LaHo into that WiRNS package. I can definitely see your connections to LaHo, and they all say that your codes were already upgraded by that point, so I have to assume that somehow you got the codes updated through WiRNS. You could certainly look through all of your WiRNS logs and see if you find some log entries of having your Zones upgraded...

h82w8 wrote:
So far, everything seem to still be working and the IP address for my Replay hasn't changed (because it's now a static address if I did it correctly). If it has a static address do I still need to set up a lease reservation to prevent it from changing?

Yes, if you want to continue to use WiRNS, then you definitely need to setup a lease reservation. If you want to discontinue using WiRNS, you can simply set your RTV back to automated and not worry about the lease reservation...

h82w8 wrote:
One minor issue still remains that I will work on when we get back from vacation is that even though my Replay displays the correct channel line up, I can't get it to show up on WIRNS when I click on Tools / Current Channel Guide. It used to after I did the WIRNS3 install, but now it doesn't any more. I guess I don't care as long as the channels display Ok thru my Replay, but it seems odd that I used to be able to see it on my laptop and now I can't.

You configure in the Replay configuration (Configuration->Replays) what lineup your RTV is using. That's what shows up in the Channel Guide...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand PART of my problem...

Here is the story:

Have Schedules Direct account, have it all set up, have a nice batch file that uses XML scrapper to download two XML files (NOTE: I can go to direct SCHEDULES Direct log in at this time since I do not need to do anything fancy but need to know how it will work)

Lineup one is going to be a cable company, comes in on the RF input to the replay.

Line up two is the Digital TV Adaptger Set top box.

I can get the OTA Set top box sent to teh replay but it insists teh XML files are Sat, even though I've told it to flag as cable.

Will re-read the "Dummies' instructions. but I basically need to set it up so it downloads two different (out of four) profiles from SD.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you want to read the thread on merging SD lineups: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15543, which you were the last one to post into. Maybe that's where you meant to post this post?

Henry
mjzjdz
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I have to have a static address to use wirns for my replaytv? I understand I have to have static for my replaytv but do I have to also have a static address from centurylink? (asking as mine is dynamic)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjzjdz wrote:
Do I have to have a static address to use wirns for my replaytv? I understand I have to have static for my replaytv but do I have to also have a static address from centurylink? (asking as mine is dynamic)

You have to have a static address on the Windows computer running WiRNS. You don't have to get a static address from your provider, if that's who centurylink is...

You set a static address into your Windows computer running WiRNS similarly to your ReplayTVs, you can search for that for your version of Windows you are using...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: