Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide. Reply with quote

WiRNS for Dummies

***NOTE*** Switching Back To ReplayTV for Guide Updates? Go to the bottom of this post.

For many of us, setting up WiRNS for the first time is a daunting process. There is a lot to read and it's easy to overlook or misunderstand a step particularly if all this is new to you and you're only getting involved with this as a last resort to maintain your program guide service. To that end here is a brief checklist/tutorial to walk you through the setup in simple terms and address some of the likely pitfalls. This is NOT meant to replace the instructions. Read the instructions at www.WiRNS.com and consider this as the "Cliff Notes" version to assist you in better understanding the process.

You can get set up and running in under 20 minutes even if you know nothing about networking or computers - just stick with the instructions and don't overthink it.

1. Read the instructions at WiRNS.com and keep them handy.

2. Set up a free 7 day trial account at www.SchedulesDirect.org and upgrade later. IMPORTANT Be sure to choose your channel lineups when you set up your account. You may need to choose more than one. For example, let's say you have two Replays, one is connected to a digital cable box and the other directly to the cable from the wall. You would need to choose a digital lineup for the digital box and an analog (basic) lineup for the other unit. Schedules Direct will deliver both to WiRNS and WiRNS will deliver the correct one to each ReplayTV.

3. Decide what Windows PC you want to use as your WiRNS server. An old laptop is a good choice as you can set it up and leave it on a shelf with low power usage and it has it's own battery backup built right in. Most any PC as described in the WiRNS instructions will do. Even though it sits on a shelf you can access WiRNS from any other PC.

4. If you haven't already, set your PC up with a static address on your router. You don't have to do this right now but once you're up and running it should be done. There are lots of sites that will walk you through that simple process if you need help.

5. Unless you're running some other server from your PC on port 80 you shouldn't have to deal with any changes. If you are, see the WiRNS instructions for options on dealing with that. Did I just lose you? Don't worry, we'll get to that if we need to.

6. If you don't already have it, install Microsoft NET Framework 2.0 from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa731542. It's free from Microsoft and installs in just a few minutes.

7. Download and run WiRNS 3.0 from www.wirns.com. There are two choices for the download file. Lets use the first one instead of the Nightly Build as it will be the most stable.

Now we're ready to set up WiRNS!

8. Accept the license agreement and during the setup you'll be asked to choose an IP address. The one in the box should be the PC you're using. Click it and then click Test Port 80. If it says Port 80 is OK click NEXT. If there is something else using Port 80 see the WiRNS instructions on how to resolve it.

9. In the next screen you'll be asked to choose a DNS address. Using the gateway (router) address works well (usually something like 192.168.0.1) or just choose the first one on the list.

10. Click NEXT, then TYPICAL, then UNcheck 'View readme file' then click FINISH. A red circle will appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the system tray to the left of the time. It will change to yellow and then to green.

Congratulations! You've just installed WiRNS. That wasn't so bad was it? Now lets make it work by configuring the settings to get the guide data from your Schedules Direct account and deliver it to all of your ReplayTV units.

11. To open the configuration you can either right click on the little green circle or enter your PC's IP address into your browser. Entering the IP address is preferred as the graphics won't display properly if you right click the green circle to get there. You will see the WiRNS index screen.

12. Under CONFIGURATION, click GUIDE DATA and enter your Schedules Direct login name in Login 1 and your password in Password 1. Now, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, click to place a check in the box in the lower left corner for 'Serve Guide Data to Replays' or else your units won't get the guide updates. Now click UPDATE.

13. Let's test what we've done to see if it works so far. Click ADMINISTRATION at the top of the page and then click UPDATE GUIDE. The update process takes about 5-7 minutes so be patient. Just click on STATUS every few minutes to see when you're done. After it finishes the Guide Update Completed box will show the time it finished.

That's it! We've almost finished the WiRNS setup but there's one thing left to do first. We have to tell each ReplayTV to look at WiRNS to get the program guide data instead of trying to connect to the now defunct ReplayTV "mothership" so grab your ReplayTV remote and let's get started.

14. At each ReplayTV unit, use your remote to go to MENU then SETUP then NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change Network.

If your Replay is set to automatically get its network settings, change it to Manual. Then, select CHANGE MANUAL SETTINGS.

For a Static IP Address you can use the same one that was already being used or select a new one. See wirns.com for more info.
Set Netmask to 255.255.255.0
The Gateway value should remain unchanged (probably your router IP address)
Set DNS Server 1 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Set DNS Server 2 to your WiRNS IP address (your PC's address)
Click CONTINUE
Click Keep All Settings
Click Done

15. Next we have to select the new program guide data. Click NETWORK and INPUT SETTINGS and then Change ZIP Code. You MUST enter a different ZIP Code from what you have now (it makes no difference what you use). After a few seconds you will be at the Connections screen and you will select what is connected to each input. When you make a selection you will be asked to choose a service provider for that input. You should see WiRNS:(your lineup). Click it and then click Keep All Settings and then click Done.

16. Scroll down and click Connect to ReplayTV Service Now and you will see the connection begin and the Channel Guide info being downloaded. This process can take several minutes.

17. When the connection is finished click EXIT and then press Channel Guide where you should see 12 glorious days of program guide information.

You've done it! Wasn't that easy? But wait there's more!

Now that you've got the program guide working again and you can enjoy the continued use of your ReplayTVs, you might want to explore some of the other great features that WiRNS has to offer. There's only one more thing you need to do in configuring WiRNS and that's to Edit your Replay Configurations in WiRNS. Just follow the very simple steps contained towards the end of the WiRNS setup instructions and you'll be done.

NAG SCREEN - That's the ReplayTV Reminder screen that keeps popping up. To get rid of it go to My Computer, and open the C:\wirns folder and look for a file named 'authcmds.example' and rename the file to just 'authcmds' before your next net connect and the Reminder Screen will be gone.

Now that you're enjoying the benefits of WiRNS don't forget to click that DONATE button and show your support for the fantastic efforts that the WiRNS creators have made.

SWITCHING BACK?

ReplayTV/DNNA have rescinded their decision to pull the plug on the Program Guide and continue as before for the time being. Here's how to switch your ReplayTV back to the "mothership."

1. From your ReplayTV remote press MENU: SETUP: Network and Input Settings: Change Network: Change Manual Settings then change the DNS1 to match the Gateway IP. Do the same for DNS2 or leave it blank. Press Continue then Change Zip Code and select a NEW Zip Code that you have NOT used before from a nearby area that has the same provider. After a NetConnect you will be taken through the steps to choose a lineup and finish up.

If you use the same Zip Codes you've been using you might get a 93a6000b error.

If there is no adjacent Zip Code with the same provider info, switch to a different one anyway, complete the process and then repeat switching back to your Zip Code. You can also try 2-4-3-Zones: Clear Channel Guide before going back to your Zip.

Last edited by brobin111 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 pm; edited 13 times in total
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was nice, thanks!

You make is sound so simple!!! Maybe I WILL try it after all!!
Teletubbie
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OP for a great set of instructions.

I have setup Wirns and able to serve guide and connect my RTVs to my PC running Wirns. However my PC running Vista is not always on and goes to Sleep mode during inactivity. Is there a way to run the channel guide update as a script that runs nightly as a batch file something like:

Run XMLTV command to execute xml scraper to download xml file
Invoke Wirns
Update channel guide in Wirns
Net connect RTVs
Serve guide to RTVs
Shut down Wirns

I tried setting up a job using the Windows Task Scheduler to wake up the PC at a specific time every night and then setup Wirns to have "guide update time" and "net connect time" few minutes after the wake up time. For some reason the PC goes back to Sleep somewhere between finish processing xml file and update channel guide in Wirns. It would have been easier to set up these steps sequentially in Wirns so that we do not have to guess and time the next step in Wirns.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you could adjust your PCs power settings to keep it from going to sleep. Just let it turn off the display and spin down the disks but let it run. I bought an old laptop I found on Craigslist this weekend for the sole purpose of acting as a WiRNS server. It's sitting on shelf quietly running and using very little power. I access WiRNS from my desktop by just entering the laptops IP address in a browser.
Teletubbie
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time it takes to download the xml file varies daily depending on internet traffic and the network speed. To be safe, I can increase the time to say 1 hour for the PC to go to Sleep while the Wirns update occurs. But now everytime I use the PC during the day, it stays up 1 hour before it goes to Sleep and wasting the energy. So it would be easier to write a batch job to do the Wirns Guide update (if someone can show me how) and it can go to Sleep say 10 mins after inactivity.
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide. Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
11. To open the configuration you can either right click on the little [color=green]green circle or enter your PC's IP address into your browser. Entering the IP address is preferred as the graphics won't display properly if you right click the green circle to get there. You will see the WiRNS index screen.

I cannot thank you enough for the above -- long story short is that I had to do a reinstall & couldn't figure out what the heck I'd done wrong to have little res Xs rather than the graphics. I headed to the forums to search & found your post in about 15 seconds.
arvysreyem
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be missing something and need some help. I setup wirns ip address as the static address on my pc and the wirns dns as my router's ip address. When I go to change the replay's dns to mirror wirns', the replay doesn't recognize the address. Where am I going wrong?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when you make changes to IP addresses your router needs to be rebooted so I would try that first. Also, make sure port 80 on the PC is free and that you turn off the PC's firewall if it's on. Most PC's default to the firewall being on but if you're behind a router it makes little difference.
To confirm, when you installed WiRNS you selected the IP address that was displayed and the DNS that was displayed, correct?

If, for example, the router's IP address is 192.168.0.1 and the WiRNS PC IP is 192.168.0.5 then in the Replay setup you will use 192.168.0.1 as the Gateway address and 192.168.0.5 as the DNS1 address. DNS2 sould be the same as DNS1 or just leave it blank.
skimaniaz
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvysreyem: Set mine up and wish I had this post during that time! But I was having the same issue as you. I am running Vista 64 and it is a pain.
Couple steps I did and I am not sure exactly what fixed it but you can try them. I right clicked on wirns.exe (also did this for wirnsmon.exe) then left clicked on property and then clicked the compatibility tab and then clicked the check box to run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service pack 2. I also did this for each .bat file. That made it run better on my PC.
I also went into windows firewall and added the wirns.exe and wirnsmon.exe to allow incoming connections. I kept opening the wirns server in Chrome and couldn't get the guide to download right. I then went to http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index in internet explorer and then Administration/ Update Guide finally worked. Once I could click on Tools/ Channel guide and see the listings I was able to connect my replay to my PC. I do not leave my PC on all the time and when I do have it on I just have it update and then have the replay update. A bit of a pain but saves me from leaving the PC on all the time.
arvysreyem
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I can't say exactly what made my RTV connect to the router but it did after numerous tries. There are 2 55xx boxes on my LAN. One connected to WiRNS right away by only changing the DNS addresses to that of my PC's static ip address. The other was a bit feisty and wouldn't cooperate. Windows firewall needed to exclude wirns.exe from its blocked apps and I ended up port forwarding wirns' 3 basic ports. I should mention for anyone who would find this info helpful with networking and wirns problems that wirns recognized one RTV with one wirns ip address and one old dns off the PC. Anyway, zip coding was easy and painless.

Now, I'm off to learn the finer points of wirns and pay Schedules Direct their budget conscious fee.
paulb104
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide. Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
6. If you don't already have it, install Microsoft NET Framework 2.0.

My Windows Vista has "NET Framework 3.5 SP1" and it has "NET Framework 4 Client Profile"

Do I still need NET Framework 2.0?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WiRNS instructions say 2.0 or higher so you should be good to go.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:

Apparently there is no .NET 2.0 for Windows versions later than 2000. Just use 3.5 or whatever is latest.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
paulb104
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
Just use 3.5 or whatever is latest.

That's what I thought.

Sadly, that makes trying to deduce why I cannot Update Guide that much harder.

I'm trying to look at every setting and option to figure it out...and 7/31/11 is coming quick.

Last edited by paulb104 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
brobin111 wrote:

Apparently there is no .NET 2.0 for Windows versions later than 2000. Just use 3.5 or whatever is latest.

I'm not sure where you looked because there's a lot of WiRNS users out there that were able to successfully install .Net 2. on their newer versions of Windows (including myself)...

And, it is certainly recommended that you install .Net 2. in addition to whatever version you might be running for the best WiRNS support...

Henry
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some or all of these steps have been discussed and tried but here is what I would do if I were troubleshooting it anew:

1. Login to your SD account to ensure that the login and password are correct.

2. Verify that the desired lineup(s) show up in your SD account. If not add them and if they are there click Re-Add All Lineups.

3. Go to WiRNS and make triple sure the correct 'login 1' and 'password 1' appear.

4. Verify 'Serve data to Replays' is checked and click UPDATE.

5. Give it a try.

6. If it still fails bang head on table in utter frustration and then post log data here.
paulb104
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While .NET Framework 2.0 is not available for Vista, I did find .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 and installed it. No effect.

brobin111 wrote:

1. Login to your SD account to ensure that the login and password are correct.
Done.

brobin111 wrote:

2. Verify that the desired lineup(s) show up in your SD account. If not add them and if they are there click Re-Add All Lineups.
Added and Re-Added.

brobin111 wrote:

3. Go to WiRNS and make triple sure the correct 'login 1' and 'password 1' appear.
Done.

brobin111 wrote:

4. Verify 'Serve data to Replays' is checked and click UPDATE.
Done

brobin111 wrote:

5. Give it a try.
Done, and done, and done ad nauseum. Every time I change a setting I click Update Guide.

brobin111 wrote:

6. If it still fails ... post log data here.

WiRNS Log WiRNS Log Feed.
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] WiRNS v3.0.4218 build 1349
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] (c) 2004-2007 rbolen70 and Glenn1963
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Portions (c) 2003-2004 kjac
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] C:\Program Files\mine\WiRNS\wirns.log has been backed up to C:\Program Files\mine\WiRNS\wirns.log.20110728202204.txt
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Deleted wirns.log.20110728152956.txt
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] C:\Program Files\mine\WiRNS\wirns.debug.log has been backed up to C:\Program Files\mine\WiRNS\wirns.debug.log.20110728202204.txt
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Deleted wirns.debug.log.20110728152956.txt
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] **************************************
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Time Synchronizer (C)2001 Valer BOCAN
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Simple Network Time Protocol (see RFC 2030)
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Modified for WiRNS by rbolen70
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Connecting to: pool.ntp.org
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Local time: 7/28/2011 8:22:04 PM
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Precision: 1.76684706477838E+75 ms
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Poll Interval: 1 s
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Reference ID: CDMA
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Root Dispersion: 0.3204345703125 ms
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Round Trip Delay: 35 ms
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Local Clock Offset: 80 ms
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] **************************************
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] Checking connection to SchedulesDirect.
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] There were problems connecting to SchedulesDirect. WiRNS will retry in 60 seconds.
    [7/28/2011 20:23:04] Checking connection to SchedulesDirect.
    [7/28/2011 20:23:04] There were problems connecting to SchedulesDirect. WiRNS will retry in 60 seconds.
    [7/28/2011 20:24:04] Checking connection to SchedulesDirect.
    [7/28/2011 20:24:04] WiRNS will attempt another guide update in 2 hours.
    [7/28/2011 20:24:04] Setting guide update time to : 2011-07-28 22:24:04 for recovery attempt.
    [7/28/2011 20:24:04] Configured to update guide at: 7/28/2011 10:24 PM

WiRNS Debug Log
    [7/28/2011 20:22:04] GetDDTime(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientType..ctor(Type type)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol..ctor()
    at WiRNS.DataDirect.xtvdWebService..ctor(String username, String password)
    at WiRNS.DataDirectData.GetDDTime()
    [7/28/2011 20:22:07] HTTPClient: http://backup.rddns.cc/rd/servlet/gu?q=bc1cd035889d3feb0ab33f118588bda26444446ff5e1ca5aef5b2ab5f325f8a3a4f77bc1edc41559d84905e5cce27361357c67882c
    [7/28/2011 20:23:04] GetDDTime(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    [7/28/2011 20:24:04] GetDDTime(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Sigh.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm wading in over my head and hopefully someone with more knowledge will jump in here. I ran an update and captured my own log and have posted it here so you can compare it to yours.

For some reason you're not getting through to SD. I know you opened WiRNS with your browser pointed to the PC's IP but also try by going to http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/ConfigureDataDirect and see if the login1 and password1 are set correctly there.

[7/28/2011 15:01:50] WiRNS v3.0.4218 build 1349
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] (c) 2004-2007 rbolen70 and Glenn1963
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Portions (c) 2003-2004 kjac
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] C:\WiRNS\wirns.log has been backed up to C:\WiRNS\wirns.log.20110728150150.txt
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Deleted wirns.log.20110724163839.txt
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] **************************************
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Time Synchronizer (C)2001 Valer BOCAN
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Simple Network Time Protocol (see RFC 2030)
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Modified for WiRNS by rbolen70
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Connecting to: pool.ntp.org
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Local time: 7/28/2011 3:01:50 PM
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Precision: 2.76069853871623E+73 ms
[7/28/2011 15:01:50] Poll Interval: 1 s
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Reference ID: gps.layer42.net (69.36.224.15)
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Root Dispersion: 69.915771484375 ms
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Round Trip Delay: 142 ms
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Local Clock Offset: 153 ms
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] **************************************
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Checking connection to SchedulesDirect.
[7/28/2011 15:01:51] Purging old guide/lineup information
[7/28/2011 15:02:00] Update Time: 2011-07-28 15:01:51
[7/28/2011 15:02:00] Updating guide information in the database.
[7/28/2011 15:02:00] Updating guide for SchedulesDirect account: brobin
[7/28/2011 15:02:00] Downloading guide information for: Thu Jul 28
[7/28/2011 15:02:18] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Thu Jul 28
[7/28/2011 15:02:18] Found lineup: Oceanic Time Warner Oahu - Cable.
[7/28/2011 15:02:18] Found lineup: Oceanic Time Warner Oahu - Digital.
[7/28/2011 15:02:28] Downloading guide information for: Fri Jul 29
[7/28/2011 15:02:44] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Fri Jul 29
[7/28/2011 15:02:49] Downloading guide information for: Sat Jul 30
[7/28/2011 15:03:14] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Sat Jul 30
[7/28/2011 15:03:20] Downloading guide information for: Sun Jul 31
[7/28/2011 15:03:40] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Sun Jul 31
[7/28/2011 15:03:46] Downloading guide information for: Mon Aug 01
[7/28/2011 15:04:03] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Mon Aug 01
[7/28/2011 15:04:09] Downloading guide information for: Tue Aug 02
[7/28/2011 15:04:26] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Tue Aug 02
[7/28/2011 15:04:32] Downloading guide information for: Wed Aug 03
[7/28/2011 15:04:52] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Wed Aug 03
[7/28/2011 15:04:58] Downloading guide information for: Thu Aug 04
[7/28/2011 15:05:16] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Thu Aug 04
[7/28/2011 15:05:21] Downloading guide information for: Fri Aug 05
[7/28/2011 15:05:38] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Fri Aug 05
[7/28/2011 15:05:44] Downloading guide information for: Sat Aug 06
[7/28/2011 15:06:02] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Sat Aug 06
[7/28/2011 15:06:08] Downloading guide information for: Sun Aug 07
[7/28/2011 15:06:27] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Sun Aug 07
[7/28/2011 15:06:32] Downloading guide information for: Mon Aug 08
[7/28/2011 15:06:51] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Mon Aug 08
[7/28/2011 15:06:57] Downloading guide information for: Tue Aug 09
[7/28/2011 15:07:10] [DNS] Using file: C:\WiRNS\Plugins\IVSProvider.hosts
[7/28/2011 15:07:10] [DNS] Returning 192.168.0.112 for rddns-production.replaytv.net to 192.168.0.60
[7/28/2011 15:07:11] [PLUGIN] IVSProvider received an update request from ISN 00004-54832-36093(192.168.0.60), port 29300
[7/28/2011 15:07:17] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Tue Aug 09
[7/28/2011 15:07:22] Downloading guide information for: Wed Aug 10
[7/28/2011 15:07:45] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Wed Aug 10
[7/28/2011 15:07:54] Vacuuming database
paulb104
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
For some reason you're not getting through to SD. I know you opened WiRNS with your browser pointed to the PC's IP but also try by going to http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/ConfigureDataDirect and see if the login1 and password1 are set correctly there.

In fact I did do this, and I don't know if it's relevant but I noticed that on http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index, in the right column it has this:
    Guide Refresh Completed: 7/28/2011 8:33:18 PM
    Download Show Path(s): GB
While on http://192.168.15.103/manage/index, it has this:
    Guide Refresh Completed: 7/28/2011 8:33:18 PM
    Current RDDNS Status:
    (7/28/2011 10:23:54 PM)
    Download Show Path(s): GB
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only see the RDDNS status when you go to the PC's IP address so that's normal. If you open the channel guide is there any data? Do you have your PC firewall turned off? Do you have another PC/Laptop to try from? Afraid I'm grasping at straws now - hopefully someone can jump in here.
Barc777
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS FOR DUMMIES - A simplified setup guide. Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
WiRNS for Dummies

10. Click NEXT, then TYPICAL, then UNcheck 'View readme file' then click FINISH. A red circle will appear in the lower right hand corner of your screen in the system tray to the left of the time. It will change to yellow and then to green.

Congratulations! You've just installed WiRNS.

[/color][/b]

Not so fast there, brobin11! I have the red icon in the system tray, but it never turns yellow and green. What gives?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click the red circle and click on restart or start and see if that helps. Next step, enter your PC's IP address into your browser and see if the WiRNS index page appears.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulb104 wrote:
[7/28/2011 20:22:04] GetDDTime(): System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

It doesn't look like you've updated WiRNS. Please try updating it, and if you continue getting these excpetions, post the log file which will have line numbers in it...

Henry
paulb104
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:

If you open the channel guide is there any data?

None.
brobin111 wrote:

Do you have your PC firewall turned off?

Windows Firewall is on and WiRNS is in the exceptions list. Turning off the firewall completely has no effect.

brobin111 wrote:

Do you have another PC/Laptop to try from?

OK. I took the .msi that I downloaded and installed it on my wife's pc. It works there. Sort of.

On her pc, at http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index, WiRNS shows a completed update to SD. When I Current Channel Guide or Channel Guide, the page flashes and I am still at http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index.

When I go to, again still on her pc, http://192.168.15.103/manage/index, it shows Guide Update Completed: Failed.

Any Ideas?
Barc777
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
Right click the red circle and click on restart or start and see if that helps. Next step, enter your PC's IP address into your browser and see if the WiRNS index page appears.

It turns yellow momentarily, then back red. When I enter the address in my browser, I get cannot connect/cannot display/whatever, depending on which browser I use.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulb104 wrote:
brobin111 wrote:

If you open the channel guide is there any data?

None.
brobin111 wrote:

Do you have your PC firewall turned off?

Windows Firewall is on and WiRNS is in the exceptions list. Turning off the firewall completely has no effect.

brobin111 wrote:

Do you have another PC/Laptop to try from?

OK. I took the .msi that I downloaded and installed it on my wife's pc. It works there. Sort of.

On her pc, at http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index, WiRNS shows a completed update to SD. When I Current Channel Guide or Channel Guide, the page flashes and I am still at http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index.

When I go to, again still on her pc, http://192.168.15.103/manage/index, it shows Guide Update Completed: Failed.

Any Ideas?

I really don't have any idea why it's not working at this point and can only make suggestions on things I'd try if I were sitting there. Here's a couple things to try but, again, I'm not an expert so I'm just grabbing at straws:

Download and reinstall an updated copy of WiRNS as there have been changes in the last few days. Use Revo Uninstaller (free) to remove what you have and start fresh. Also, you might try the laptop from another network at a friends or at a hotspot just for the guide download. You could also connect to your cable/dsl modem directly without the router to see if there is a router config issue.
Mark_K
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the other good standby:

Reboot EVERYTHING
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: SWITCHING BACK TO REPLAY GUIDE? Here's how. Reply with quote

The following has been added to the WiRNS for Dummies post at the top of this thread.

SWITCHING BACK?

ReplayTV/DNNA have rescinded t5heir decision to pull the plug on the Program Guide and continue as before for the time being. here's how to switch your ReplayTV back to the "mothership."

1. From your ReplayTV remote press MENU:SETUP:Network and Input Settings:Change NetworkChange Manual Settings then change the DNS1 to match the Gateway IP. Do the same for DNS2 or leave it blank. Press Continue then Change Zip Code and select a NEW Zip Code that you haven't used before from a nearby area that has the same provider. After a NetConnect you will be taken through the steps to choose a lineup and finish up.

KenL
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: SWITCHING BACK TO REPLAY GUIDE? Here's how. Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
...SWITCHING BACK?

ReplayTV/DNNA have rescinded t5heir decision to pull the plug on the Program Guide and continue as before for the time being. here's how to switch your ReplayTV back to the "mothership."

1. From your ReplayTV remote press MENU:SETUP:Network and Input Settings:Change NetworkChange Manual Settings then change the DNS1 to match the Gateway IP. Do the same for DNS2 or leave it blank. Press Continue then Change Zip Code and select a NEW Zip Code that you haven't used before from a nearby area that has the same provider. After a NetConnect you will be taken through the steps to choose a lineup and finish up.

Since this is the WiRNS set here, I wouldn't send anyone back without protection. If they are already running WiRNS best to just keep it? Revert to 2.1 if they don't want to use SD/scraper.
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, really no need to do anything but I thought I'd post the info for those who might be having trouble getting set up and just want to go back to the way things were.
Why revert to 2.1 instead of staying with 3.0? I never used 2.1 so I don't know the differences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: