Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

The first release of WiRNS 3.0 is now available for download at wirns.com

Installation instructions are available on the WiRNS Wiki

WiRNS now operates without contact with the ReplayTV servers.

Authorization / signed functions are fully operational.

Included in the installation is an authcmds.example file in your WiRNS install folder. You can use this file (or edit it as you wish) to remove the ReplayTV nag messages. Copy or rename the file to authcmds before your next net connect.

As a first release there is always the potential for problems; please indicate any issues that occur through installation, setup and operation.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."

Last edited by Glenn1963 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed this morning and although I ran into a few glitches, they are the same ones I had when I first installed Wirns 2 so they will be resolved when I get some more time (images are red x's, no to do list, no visible guide).

One question though is that if you go to use the Check for updates, OR Refresh All Components with the new 3.0 version, will you get 3.0 or is it only currently available via the manual download?

As for the major and most important parts however, everything appears to be working for me with my 45xx's.

Renamed the Authcmds file, and forced unit updates in Wirns. Nag screens are gone. When I go to Menu/Setup/My ReplayTV Registration, I see a Wirns registration blurb now instead of DNNA's. No reboots of the Replay's were necessary.

So it appears to me that I have now "cut the cord" successfully.

Is there any kind of other checklist that anyone could provide for me to run thru? I will be more than happy to help test things on my 45xx's and do some further validations if you think it would be helpful.
engfant
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it install over the old one?
cybert19
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had limited configuation win XP and using opera, no remap or guide data ect. I ran the old WiRNS 2 Service Monitor with the new 3beta and everything seems to work.
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engfant wrote:

That's what I did. I just stopped Wirns service, exited the Wirns Server Control app/icon in the tray, and ran the install file.

I also changed the name of the authcmds.example file in the Wirns folder to authcmds as mentioned in the first post to get rid of the nag screens.

All settings, logs, etc were retained and everything worked right out of the gate.
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and thanks to all the WiRNS developers!!
rlichtefeld
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space wrote:
Congratulations and thanks to all the WiRNS developers!!

And, where is the Paypal donation button?

Thanks everyone for all your work.

Rob
ChampaignWalt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'll download it after work today. My setup includes 3 replays (2 5k, 1 4k).
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engfant wrote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. As blujay40 said, that should work. Of course, taking a copy first of your existing wirns.db wouldn't hurt either.

Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlichtefeld wrote:
And, where is the Paypal donation button?

Thanks everyone for all your work.

Rob
It's right there on the WiRNS home page!!

Guys, I just did a fresh install and the Unix timezone (which still says it is optional) was preloaded with EST4EDT which is not a valid timezone (this also happened with 2.1). Where does it get this timezone from? I have XP and in the "Date and Time Properties", Time Zone tab, it says "(GMT-5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)". Maybe it is messing up because it is currently DST?

Also, it does not include the ",M3.2.0,M11.1.0" part. Is this implicit now?

Last edited by Space on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blujay40 wrote:
One question though is that if you go to use the Check for updates, OR Refresh All Components with the new 3.0 version, will you get 3.0 or is it only currently available via the manual download?

If you run the 2.1 Updater, you will get 2.1 updates. It does not upgrade to 3.0.

Once 3.0 is installed, the Updater will update 3.0 components.

Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybert19 wrote:
I ran the old WiRNS 2 Service Monitor with the new 3beta and everything seems to work.

Not sure what you're saying here. Was there a problem with the new WiRNSMon?

You cannot use the 2.1 Monitor to upgrade to 3.0

Running the 2.1 Monitor against a 3.0 WiRNS will work, but you will not get updates if you attempt to update from either the Monitor or WiRNS.

Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to transfer the settings from WiRNS 2.1 to 3.0 after a 3.0 fresh install?

Can I just export the registry settings on the 2.1 and import them on the 3.0?

What about other setting that are in the database, like JIT schedules and the DNRA?
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space wrote:
It's right there on the WiRNS home page!!
Also on your WiRNS Index page.

The timezone issue is being addressed. The initial TZ is extracted from your Windows settings and does not include the extended string part. The DST rules are not implicitly included, since not everyone follows it.

Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space wrote:
Is it possible to transfer the settings from WiRNS 2.1 to 3.0 after a 3.0 fresh install?

If you install into the same folder as WiRNS 2.1, all of your registry settings and databases will remain.

If you install into a different folder, all of your registry settings will remain.

If after that you want to stop WiRNS and replace the new database files with the ones from your 2.1 folder, that will also work.

Although there should be no need, you could also export your WiRNS registry settings and import them later. There is even an Administration->Backup Registry menu item.

krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent timing!, as I just found the time to finally start looking into the WiRkaround.

A note: the WiRNS downloads page could use some clarification (or correction), in that it is currently offering two different versions of WiRNS, without much distinction.

The "Current WiRNS Installer" links to an installer for "3.0.0.0", while the "Alternate WiRNS Installer" links to an alternate version "2.1.0.0" installer. This isn't so much an "alternate" installer, at this point, if one is looking to get going with 3.0.

Nevermind. I needed to do a refresh, apparently.

Thanks!

Last edited by krkaufman on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
cybert19
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the new monitor uses 127.0.0.1 instead of the wirns IP like the older monitor did. I use this PC for a lot of other things so there maybe a host file conflict or something. I did notice that the update looked like it would replace the older monitor.

It also looks like I am the only one with a problem so it probably has something to do with this PC. I can try it later on a different PC.

[quote="Glenn1963"][quote="cybert19"]I ran the old WiRNS 2 Service Monitor with the new 3beta and everything seems to work.[/quote]
Not sure what you're saying here. Was there a problem with the new WiRNSMon?

You cannot use the 2.1 Monitor to upgrade to 3.0

Running the 2.1 Monitor against a 3.0 WiRNS will work, but you will not get updates if you attempt to update from either the Monitor or WiRNS.[/quote]
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
A note: the WiRNS downloads page could use some clarification (or correction), in that it is currently offering two different versions of WiRNS, without much distinction.
Appears you were getting a cached version of the page. The "Alternate" link won't work now.

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

Glenn1963 wrote:
TIncluded in the installation is an authcmds.example file in your WiRNS install folder. You can use this file (or edit it as you wish) to remove the ReplayTV nag messages. Copy or rename the file to authcmds before your next net connect.

The authcmds file can go either in the WiRNS directory to serve all of your net connecting RTVs, or into the individual RTV serial number directories if you want a custom file for those RTVs. You can even mix it such that you have a generic file in the WiRNS directory and some RTV serial number directories with custom files such that only those specific RTVs will use the specific file. The WiRNS log will indicate where it is loading the authcmds file from...

Henry
ocahui
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation of 3.0 over the top of 2.x was a breeze! I didn't even bother stopping the service before installing 3.0.

Everything working fine, except (if this has been mentioned, I didn't notice):

WiRNS 3.0 still uses 64.124.73.105.replaytv.com for NTP.
(Confirmed via Wireshark packet capture)

I was under the impression this version did not connect to the mothership.

For NTP service, my preference would be that WiRNS use the NTP server configured in Windows time, unless no NTP server is configured, in which case, use the time as reported by Windows.
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn1963 wrote:
Space wrote:

If you install into the same folder as WiRNS 2.1, all of your registry settings and databases will remain.

If you install into a different folder, all of your registry settings will remain.

If after that you want to stop WiRNS and replace the new database files with the ones from your 2.1 folder, that will also work.

Although there should be no need, you could also export your WiRNS registry settings and import them later. There is even an Administration->Backup Registry menu item.
Well, installing over the top won't work for me because of the way I have installed WiRNS (in a sandbox), so I guess I need to install it fresh and then copy over the DBs and import the registry settings.

So I suppose that the DB schemas have not changed (or will be converted on the fly).
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocahui wrote:
WiRNS 3.0 still uses 64.124.73.105.replaytv.com for NTP
Probably carry-over from the 2.1 settings. You can change it under Configuration->WiRNS.

engfant
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. An upgrade will carry that over instead of using the default. Such a simple fix.
ChampaignWalt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Glenn1963 wrote:
TIncluded in the installation is an authcmds.example file in your WiRNS install folder. You can use this file (or edit it as you wish) to remove the ReplayTV nag messages. Copy or rename the file to authcmds before your next net connect.

The authcmds file can go either in the WiRNS directory to serve all of your net connecting RTVs, or into the individual RTV serial number directories if you want a custom file for those RTVs. You can even mix it such that you have a generic file in the WiRNS directory and some RTV serial number directories with custom files such that only those specific RTVs will use the specific file. The WiRNS log will indicate where it is loading the authcmds file from...

Henry

Henry, once running wirns 3.0 and your first net connect, the authcmds file can be deleted, correct? The registry would be changed and doesn't need to be updated any further, as long as you don't reconnect to the real mothership between now and the end of the month.

Right?
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Great tip, Henry; thanks.

As followup, does the same apply for shellcmds? Also, is it an either/or situation, where the serial number-specific file will take precedence over the generic file in the main WiRNS folder? (I'll check the log file for WiRNS' behavior, but figured I'd ask, in case you had nothing better to do.)
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn1963 wrote:
ocahui wrote:
WiRNS 3.0 still uses 64.124.73.105.replaytv.com for NTP
Probably carry-over from the 2.1 settings. You can change it under Configuration->WiRNS.

I corrected this via the installer.

Ryan
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

ChampaignWalt wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
Glenn1963 wrote:

Henry

Henry, once running wirns 3.0 and your first net connect, the authcmds file can be deleted, correct? The registry would be changed and doesn't need to be updated any further, as long as you don't reconnect to the real mothership between now and the end of the month.

Right?

No, the RTV authorizes each and every time it net connects. Although, I'm not sure what would happen if you had a totally empty file, that it would have nothing to change, so it would stay authorized...

Anyway, if you delete the file, then the RTV will still ask for it, and WiRNS 3 will respond with that it hasn't been modified, which will probably make the RTV happy and everything would just keep working. But, you'd have to test this for yourself, no promises. However, I really don't see the value in it, the file's already there, why would you bother to delete it and miss out seeing it working each and every net connect?!

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Glenn1963 wrote:

Henry
It's interesting that you implemented it this way, I was thinking that this would be the right way to do it, and you did it!

I assume that WiRNS generates the hash based on all the Auth registry settings. Do you know if the order matters? Does the hash change if the order is changed? If so, what is the proper order?

Last edited by Space on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

Space wrote:
It's interesting that you implemented it this way, I was thinking that this would be the right way to do it, and you did it!

It's not so interesting since this is the way all the other files in WiRNS work and there's already a function that gets the file for me...

Space wrote:
I assume that WiRNS generates the hash based on all the Auth registry settings. Do you know if the order matters? Does the hash change if the order is changed? If so, what is the proper order (alphabetical sort, etc.)

I have no idea what you're talking about. You've read the RNS specs on this all, there's certainly nothing about order in there other than the algorithm is clearly spelled out...

Henry
ChampaignWalt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS 3.0 Now Available for Download Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

No, the RTV authorizes each and every time it net connects. Although, I'm not sure what would happen if you had a totally empty file, that it would have nothing to change, so it would stay authorized...

Anyway, if you delete the file, then the RTV will still ask for it, and WiRNS 3 will respond with that it hasn't been modified, which will probably make the RTV happy and everything would just keep working. But, you'd have to test this for yourself, no promises. However, I really don't see the value in it, the file's already there, why would you bother to delete it and miss out seeing it working each and every net connect?!

Henry

Ah. I'll keep it then!

Hey, I see you have the "SystemInfoStr" set to "Activated (one-time fee paid)" Is there a reason for that particular string?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: