Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Showstoppers - Now Tapeless VCRs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustbuster23
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: My Showstoppers - Now Tapeless VCRs? Reply with quote

I have two Showstoppers with lifetime service. Like everybody else, I kind of knew this sad day would eventually come, but it very hard for me to say goodbye to what was pretty clearly the best consumer electronics purchase I've ever made.

I am hoping I can still use my two showstoppers in a limited way. I frankly have little interest in setting up computers to function as a server to these boxes, but I could probably live with a ReplayTV that let me program it manually like it was a VCR. Most of what I record is stuff that is regularly scheduled so I could sit down for 20 minutes and just manually program in my shows if I had to. I have two extra, clean imaged drives already put away and I will get them all connected up to the network with all my local channels put on them before 7/31.

Assuming I don't move to someplace with a different cable system and need new channels, and I apply the clock setting hack to all these drives so I can reset my clock periodically myself, can I at least use the manual record function to set weekly programs to record shows the way you would with an old-style VCR?

Is that what they mean by "manual recording" in the service notice? Or is it even more limited than that? If all I can do is manually record by pushing the record button, then the song is over, at least for me.

If anybody knows the answer to this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks All!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should probably work fine. However, what we don't know, is what will happen to the Service Activation nag screen after 7/31. Currently it only comes up once a day for each of the Replay Guide and Channel Guide. However, it has a different schedule starting 8/1, and we don't know if it will start coming out continuously or stop coming out after that date...

Henry
sillyname99
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried the manual record on my showstoppers yet, but on my 5000 it looked like I couldn't set it up to record every week, just one day at a time. Have you tried the showstoppers?

Thanks
trustbuster23
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a lifetime subscription on both my boxes and I bought them that way - that's the first time I've ever seen the service activation nag screen. It just started doing that right after I got the message with the service termination notice. So far, it just lets me just acknowledge the nag and then works normally after that. So it does look like regardless whether you have a lifetime subscription or were paying by the month, everybody's being treated the same way now.

I did play around with the manual recording system yesterday. It gives you the option of single or recurring recordings and then lets you select the days of the week the recurring recordings occur. So you can do weekly on Thursdays or whatever pretty easily. Then you can set start and stop times and the channel. The manual record function, like everything else on the Replay, was exceptionally well-designed back in the day, so it is far less painful to set up a manual record on this thing than it was on your old VCR. Obviously, not as good as just picking something out of the guide, but it does work.

BTW, I already have mine hooked up to a UPS so it doesn't lose everything or crash the drive when we lose power. The showstopper doesn't suck a huge amount of juice so it can run quite a while off the UPS. If you are going to have to manually set the clock with that hack every time you lose power for even a couple minutes, seems like getting a UPS is a pretty good idea once we confirm we aren't all bricked for some reason we don't yet know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: