Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of ReplayTV Electronic Programming Guide Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GCC453
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

I wasn’t sure if this is where to post this. With all the drama around trying to get my Showstopper to work with Wirns, I would rather get a 5XXX off of EBay & bury the Showstopper. I like my 2 5XXXs better anyway. If I buy a used 5XXX that hasn’t been on line in a while or “new” 5XXX that has never been on line, will it work after 7/31if all it ever sees is WIRNS?
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

GCC453 wrote:
I wasn’t sure if this is where to post this. With all the drama around trying to get my Showstopper to work with Wirns, I would rather get a 5XXX off of EBay & bury the Showstopper. I like my 2 5XXXs better anyway. If I buy a used 5XXX that hasn’t been on line in a while or “new” 5XXX that has never been on line, will it work after 7/31if all it ever sees is WIRNS?

I have 3 5xxx Replays (working with WiRNS 3) and one 2020. I'm not that interested in getting the 2020 connected, and will leave it as to see what happens. I don't use it much anyway.

BTW, the 2020 now has guide data through 8/1 7PM CST.

I have re-imaged a 5504 (factory reset image) and got it working with WiRNS, with seemingly no involvement with DNNA. You have to make sure that Replay won't even try to access the internet except through WiRNS. This includes turning off any DHCP server on the network. There's no Zones, but I don't use them anyway.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
GCC453 wrote:
...If I buy a used 5XXX that hasn’t been on line in a while or “new” 5XXX that has never been on line, will it work after 7/31if all it ever sees is WIRNS?

...I have re-imaged a 5504 (factory reset image) and got it working with WiRNS, with seemingly no involvement with DNNA...

With WiRNS 2.X or 3.X?
GCC453
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

My understanding is that the activation (Monthly or Lifetime) is on the motherboard. Therefore re-imaging the HD should have no effect on activation. My concern is: will a monthly unit that hasn't been lifetimed by the Replay server recently, or a new unregistered unit, die on 7/31. Can WIRNS 3.0 save these? If I buy off of EBay I will not be able to connect to WIRNS until Aug. My 2 lifetime 5XXXs seem happy with WIRNS.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
GCC453 wrote:
...If I buy a used 5XXX that hasn’t been on line in a while or “new” 5XXX that has never been on line, will it work after 7/31if all it ever sees is WIRNS?

...I have re-imaged a 5504 (factory reset image) and got it working with WiRNS, with seemingly no involvement with DNNA...

With WiRNS 2.X or 3.X?

"with seemingly no involvement with DNNA". It's got to be WiRNS 3.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

GCC453 wrote:
My understanding is that the activation (Monthly or Lifetime) is on the motherboard. Therefore re-imaging the HD should have no effect on activation. My concern is: will a monthly unit that hasn't been lifetimed by the Replay server recently, or a new unregistered unit, die on 7/31. Can WIRNS 3.0 save these? If I buy off of EBay I will not be able to connect to WIRNS until Aug. My 2 lifetime 5XXXs seem happy with WIRNS.

Activation is not on the Motherboard, but the Replay serial number is. The Replay service checks if that Replay (according to serial number) is activated, and if so it sends commands to put that information in the registry (on hard disk).

An image, unless activated on THAT machine will need to be re-activated. WiRNS 3 can do that.
Has a Replay 5xxx

Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

GCC453 wrote:
It should work with just WiRNS 3.0. However if it doesn't already have Replay Zones loaded on it, then you will have no Zones (it is possible to get them back, but there is no "easy" way to do it yet). Also, I am not sure if IVS will work if it doesn't have that loaded (not sure if that is on a factory reset image).
GCC453 wrote:
There is no such thing as Monthly or Lifetime units anymore, so it doesn't make a difference. Any unit can now be made Lifetime by simple connecting to DNNA (before 7/31), WiRNS or LaHo at least once.
I am not 100% sure about units that have NEVER been turned on/connected to DNNA, since there are not many of them left, and I don't think it has been tested. But I doubt you could even find a unit that has never been connected to DNNA at least once.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

[quote="Space"]
GCC453 wrote:

[snip]

I am not 100% sure about units that have NEVER been turned on/connected to DNNA, since there are not many of them left, and I don't think it has been tested. But I doubt you could even find a unit that has never been connected to DNNA at least once.

But it's CLOSE. I put a "factory reset" image on a 5504 and got it working with no apparent connection to DNNA. I would have tried it without internet (cable modem unplugged) if not for the time server WiRNS needs.
Has a Replay 5xxx

TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
..."with seemingly no involvement with DNNA". It's got to be WiRNS 3.

I just wanted to make sure.

So, currently WiRNS 3.x is handling / mimicking everything EXCEPT Replay Zones. thumbsup
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
mlloyd wrote:
..."with seemingly no involvement with DNNA". It's got to be WiRNS 3.

I just wanted to make sure.

So, currently WiRNS 3.x is handling / mimicking everything EXCEPT Replay Zones. thumbsup
Zones and I have also seen Henry mention IVS, so I am not sure if more stuff needs to be downloaded from DNNA to get IVS working on a factory reset image.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

Space wrote:
Zones and I have also seen Henry mention IVS, so I am not sure if more stuff needs to be downloaded from DNNA to get IVS working on a factory reset image.

Actually, you just need to put in the IVS/CA activation lines from the example file. The reason people were having problems was because they didn't have these lines in their file, so it required a net connect in order to get it activated. I think I documented on AVSForum that I finally figured out it was the lines were missing...

Henry
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: unregistered Replay 5XXX & Wirns Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Space wrote:

Actually, you just need to put in the IVS/CA activation lines from the example file. The reason people were having problems was because they didn't have these lines in their file, so it required a net connect in order to get it activated. I think I documented on AVSForum that I finally figured out it was the lines were missing...

Henry
Oh, that's all?

OK, just to clarify, it is the shellcmds.example file in the WiRNS install folder. Just put the lines that are in that file in to the shellcmds file in that same folder to enable IVS and Commercial Advance.
jimwise
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: DNNA Continuing ReplayTV Guide Service Reply with quote

Since this seems to be the best thread covering the news that DNNA had announced the end of them providing TV programming guide data for the ReplayTVs I thought this should also be mentioned here.

DNNA has announced that they will be continuing the programming guide service, at least for now:
http://www.replaytv.com/

The Planet Replay thread discussing this announcement is at:
http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=78554#78554
Tech Apprentice
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone needs to update the Wiki.
runner10552
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sure where to post this question.

Where's the proper place to ask for help in getting my RTV to continue to send and receive shows from fellow RTV users after switching over to WiRNS and SD?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runner10552 wrote:
No sure where to post this question.

Where's the proper place to ask for help in getting my RTV to continue to send and receive shows from fellow RTV users after switching over to WiRNS and SD?

It would be better if you started a new post topic. However, three shouldn't be any diffrerence, so it should work the same as it alway has. In addition, you can sends shows directly from the WiRNS ReplayGuide webpage, so you don't have to do it from your RTV...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: