Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of ReplayTV Electronic Programming Guide Service
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: End of ReplayTV Electronic Programming Guide Service Reply with quote

Posted June 15 on
http://www.replaytv.com
http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/replaytv/
(You may or may not see the announcement immediately, seems like a cookie/caching issue)

ReplayTV wrote:
The ReplayTV Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) Service will be permanently discontinued on July 31, 2011. After this date, owners of ReplayTV DVR units will still be able to manually record analog TV programs, but will not have the benefit of access to the interactive program guide. Effective immediately, monthly billing for the ReplayTV service to remaining customers has been suspended.

The industry conversion to HDTV is complete and ReplayTV DVRs are unable to take advantage of the wealth of HDTV programming. Please contact your service provider for current offerings.

Please note that this is an end only to the providing of program guide data. Authentication is still being provided, our Replays are not suddenly doorstops.

Through the use of other guide data sources such as Schedules Direct or XMLTV providers, WiRNS will continue to support full EPG services to your ReplayTV.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."

Last edited by Glenn1963 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No guide data for my 2000! It's only been 12 years! (purchased 6/28/99)

Thanks Replay for all the years, it's been a great run, and kudos for keeping it running this long (and making hardware that keeps chugging)

I know I could play a bunch of games and keep it running, but it's just not worth it to me. Anyone need parts for a 2000 and 3000?

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 3K running using a line simulator for quite some time!

I have to wonder what DNNA is going to do about the dial up service? If you want to be able to use the 2Ks and 3Ks for manual recording as they state, then you'd have to assume that they'd also have to keep the dial accounts active...

I wonder if it would be too very much trouble to update the server host file in the 2K/3K such that it still uses dialup, but ends up going to WiRNS instead? Probably have to use extract_rtv to update the file and then ensure that it doesn't get overwritten during the net connect...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the 2k/3k need to phone home for activation? I don't think so as they predate the whole activation process.

I suspect they'll keep working w/o checking in.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Do the 2k/3k need to phone home for activation? I don't think so as they predate the whole activation process.

That's a good point! I guess it's only the lifetime activations which still have to "phone home" to stay activated...

So, I guess that means that they have no reason to keep the dial up account operational. Which also means that there wouldn't be much point in updating the server host file so that it would go to a different server...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they need to get their time sync'd, so I'd expect that the dial in will still work.

I used to work for one of the companies that provided dial in service. I believe we gave them the nightly local access for free as it was off-shift. So I don't understand why they are "bricking" all the replaytv's still in service.

Then again, it could be like when they killed the MyReplayTV addition. I always figured they got rid of the guy that supported it.

I've got three R3K's at two residences. Once had Freesco working under vmware, but it's now acting up (the "15 minute dial-in" is taking three 72 minute connections through freesco and a line simulator that does 33.6k).

This is a very disappointing turn of events. Don't think I'll be buying DNNA products (that's the holding company that has what's left of ReplayTV).

rmeden wrote:

choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please correct me if I am wrong.

As long as we use Wirns to update the channel guide on ours Replays, we will still get the channel guide?

I'm reading this as monthly units become "Lifetime" (as long as Wirns is used)

I have 3 5040's sitting in my closet & would be curious if I should try to "activate" them now or if they will automatically activate
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

choliscott wrote:
As long as we use Wirns to update the channel guide on ours Replays, we will still get the channel guide?

You will as long as you provide WiRNS with an alternate guide data source, such as Schedules Direct or an XMLTV solution.

Quote:
I'm reading this as monthly units become "Lifetime" (as long as Wirns is used)
The ReplayTV servers will have to do "something" to make the monthlies work. Exact details are not known yet.

Quote:
I have 3 5040's sitting in my closet & would be curious if I should try to "activate" them now or if they will automatically activate
My best guess is you'll have to connect them to the ReplayTV servers, but that's just my opinion. We have a month and a half, I imagine we'll know more eventually.

AMA
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all - well, i just got 'the message', and like everyone else, I'm very disappointed. Four units(all lifetime sub), so I figure I'm in deep doodoo. Not quite ready to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st century

Don't quite follow all of the above exchanges, so if/when someone figures out how to connect to the alternative service to download schedules, pls, pls post instructions here, as I'd imagine someone would...

Thanks a bunch...

P.S. After poking around a few minutes, I'm gonna 'assume' that WiRNS.com is the place to start...looks mighty interesting. All I've used up to this point was the ReplayTV guide, router connections tying all four of my units together and the DVArchive app to download shows to my pc.

Had no idea anything else(including this board) was out there
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a monthly replay, which looks like was changed to "Activated" instead of "good thru.." (or whatever the message is)

First thing to do is goto Schedules Direct & sign up for an acct. You get a week free trial, with 2 months costing $5 or $20 for the year (this will provide channel guide info)

Activate your acct & select your channel line up. You can also edit your channel guide here.

Next goto Wirns. Goto Configuration - Guide Data
Zip code - Enter 0
Enter in your Schedules Direct UserName & Password

Click Update

Next goto the folder Wirns is installed & rename the "remapchan.csv" file to something different. Reason for this, when you update the channel guide, its going to show the full channel guide instead of only the channels you specified

Next Update the channel guide on Wirns

The log will look like this:

[6/15/2011 18:06:36] Downloading guide information for: Mon Jun 27
[6/15/2011 18:06:57] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Mon Jun 27
[6/15/2011 18:06:59] Downloading guide information for: Tue Jun 28
[6/15/2011 18:07:20] Validating data from SchedulesDirect for: Tue Jun 28

Goto Configuration - Edit Remap File to edit the channel guide.

Continue using your replay as normal

[quote="AMA
Don't quite follow all of the above exchanges, so if/when someone figures out how to connect to the alternative service to download schedules, pls, pls post instructions here, as I'd imagine someone would...

Thanks a bunch...

[/quote]
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on an application update and more detailed installation instructions for using Schedules Direct that should be available Thursday at Wirns.com.

This will be mostly aimed at the first time installers of WiRNS. As Chris has pointed out, it can be relatively painless to switch an existing WiRNS installation to Schedules Direct.

I expect there will be quite a few potential new WiRNS users arriving. I realize that WiRNS can be pretty overwhelming at first; there is some good help available on this forum. I'm sure we can all come out ok on the other side of this.

frank6439
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a copy of the boxtop contract that came on the outside of some replaytv boxes that had lifetime activation? Or, is there some printed lifetime service agreement? I can't seem to find one posted anywhere. Thanks in advance.
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank6439 wrote:
Does anyone have a copy of the boxtop contract that came on the outside of some replaytv boxes that had lifetime activation? Or, is there some printed lifetime service agreement? I can't seem to find one posted anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, "lifetime" means lifetime!
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: WiRNS & Schedules Direct 'Upgrade'... Reply with quote

Glenn1963 wrote:
I'm working on an application update and more detailed installation instructions for using Schedules Direct that should be available Thursday at Wirns.com...

...I realize that WiRNS can be pretty overwhelming at first; there is some good help available on this forum. I'm sure we can all come out ok on the other side of this.

Thanks!

IMHO, for folks that wish to continue using their ReplayTVs, WiRNS w/Schedules Direct is the MOST PAINLESS avenue.

For the folks who DO NOT have a Windows PC available, what are the MINIMUM Hardware & Software Requirements besides what's posted at: System Requirements?

My personal suggestion is that they check with a relative, friend or CraigsList for a second hand Windows PC (with Win98 / Win2K / WinXP) for $0-~100.

Although I've previously 'Experimented' with a FULL BLOWN WiRNS 2.x on a Pentium 933 w/512K RAM and Win2K, I'm planning to 'Experiment' with a GUIDE ONLY version on a Pentium 266 laptop w/256K RAM and Win98.

Will it work?
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: ReplayTV Did the BEST they Could - It's Time to Move On... Reply with quote

frank6439 wrote:

Install WiRNS 2.x w/Schedules Direct ($20/year) and move on.

*OR* SEARCH the web for a FREE 'Scraper' and see if you can get it to work with your ReplayTV(s).

From another perspective, all MONTHLY ReplayTVs just became LIFETIME ReplayTVs!

I'm sure as time moves on, some folks will post their solutions for maintaining our ANCIENT hardware. Glenn1963 / WiRNS Author, just posted that "an application update and more detailed installation instructions for using Schedules Direct" will be available on ~06/16/2011.
commercialskippy
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll be installing WiRNS... thanks so much, looking forward to the detailed instructions.
joshua362
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After waking this morning and seeing this news with a slight panic, I knew the great folks would have this figured out pronto.

Any idea if that $20 per year is per unit or will work on all 4 of my "lifetime"units? Worth it either way to keep it chugging along...
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshua362 wrote:

Any idea if that $20 per year is per unit or will work on all 4 of my "lifetime"units? Worth it either way to keep it chugging along...

$20 a year is for 1 YR membership in the non-profit Schedules Direct.

Membership includes the use of guide data for *all devices in your household*. You can have 3 replays, a MythTV box, and a GB-PVR box, whatever. Letting your next door neighbor use your account would be a violation.

Robert
XMLTV/Schedules Direct
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are saying on the AVS forum that WIRNS will no longer work if the DNNA servers are no longer support the replaytv system. Is this true? Is everything dependent on DNNA being in existence in some form supporting the activated units?
Ixne
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Guide updating Reply with quote

So if I run WiRNs, will I need to leave that computer on (so it updates and so that the ReplyTV updates from it) or can I do the updating manually (concerned about how much electricity I'll be wasting leaving the PC on 24-7)? Will I still be able to schedule recordings through the ReplayTV guide on the unit (since I assume it's updating from the PC) or will I have to do all scheduling through the WiRNs interface? I'm trying to make sure I understand how my routine will change. TIA.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
Some are saying on the AVS forum that WIRNS will no longer work if the DNNA servers are no longer support the replaytv system. Is this true? Is everything dependent on DNNA being in existence in some form supporting the activated units?
If it causes a problem, I'm confident a solution will be worked out.
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the problem at the moment is Wirns does not set the time on the Replay & gets the time or has RTV server set the time.

Another issue is the Replay Zones, but I'm thinking the time issue would be more important at the moment

I'm sure something will be worked out.

sbwinter2 wrote:
byproxy
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so are there any services, like wirns, that one can subscribe to without having to actually set up a full-time, always-on, server at home? i don't really have the equipment or inclination to set a server up so a pay-service that would allow me to do the same thing would be great.

otherwise, think i'll have to switch to the dreaded tivo (against my will of course... i love my replays).
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS & Schedules Direct 'Upgrade'... Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
My personal suggestion is that they check with a relative, friend or CraigsList for a second hand Windows PC (with Win98 / Win2K / WinXP) for $0-~100.

I've been running WiRNS on Windows '98 since the beginning, however I have to reboot it about once a week because .Net uses up all the memory in the machine and it eventually crashes! But, now that I am going to need WiRNS to be a lot more reliable, I am in the process of getting it running on Windows 2000. Having a little trouble right now, but hope to get it worked out...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Guide updating Reply with quote

Ixne wrote:
So if I run WiRNs, will I need to leave that computer on (so it updates and so that the ReplyTV updates from it) or can I do the updating manually (concerned about how much electricity I'll be wasting leaving the PC on 24-7)? Will I still be able to schedule recordings through the ReplayTV guide on the unit (since I assume it's updating from the PC) or will I have to do all scheduling through the WiRNs interface? I'm trying to make sure I understand how my routine will change. TIA.

Depending on how you want to use WiRNS, you don't have to leave it on all the time. If you simply want to schedule a time that you will update your RTVs, then you only need the computer on during that time...

After installing WiRNS, your RTV will operate the same as it always has. You can still do whatever you normally do at the RTV. However, if you want to use the power of WiRNS, then you can do a lot of things from the WiRNS interface. So, your routine only has to change if you want to. But, you'll probably find that using the WiRNS interface is much easier than using the RTV interface!

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byproxy wrote:
so are there any services, like wirns, that one can subscribe to without having to actually set up a full-time, always-on, server at home? i don't really have the equipment or inclination to set a server up so a pay-service that would allow me to do the same thing would be great.

otherwise, think i'll have to switch to the dreaded tivo (against my will of course... i love my replays).

It depends on how you want to do it, but there has to be something "on" when the RTV net connects in order to feed the guide data. WiRNS isn't the only service that can do this, but it doesn't change the fact that something has to "answer the phone" when the RTV "phones home". However, that's the only time it has to be on/available...

Henry
Susan G
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: WiRNS with dial-up? Reply with quote

Hi-

I have a dial-up Showstopper 2000. On the WiRNS FAQ page it says:
"in order to make it work, additional hardware/software is required in order to bridge the connection between the ReplayTV® unit (which is modem-based) and WiRNS (which assumes an ethernet connection)."

Could someone point me to a source for further information on this?

Thanks!

-Susan
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most others when I got to message on my TV I said a few unprintable words then came over to this forum and as usual it looks like all will be well for most.
For me I don't really know how WIRNS work but I guess I will figure it out reading posts here. I am guessing but I think I will have to buy two 50ft. cables, a router and then figure out how to hook it all up. But that is still cheaper than getting my Cable Co. DVR which they charge $33.00 a month. They say you get free HD with them but then stick it to you with an outrageous charge for the DVR.
Looking forward to reading most posts on this subject.
scoot13
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you guys! Thanks Glenn, Henry, & Robert, you have made my ReplayTV easily one of the best values I have ever gotten for my money.

I am confident that it will continue to function, thanks to you guys, but even if not it has been an excellent run. Not ready to say goodbye yet though!
or on Soundclick
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Just got off a call to tech sup Reply with quote

Here is what I learned:

EVERYTHING is closing down on 7/31 - the servers, tech support, the website.

No servers means no clock or channels, and you will not be able to choose a provider.

The blaster codes are on the hard drive of the units, so if you manually enter a channel, it can send it to the cable box.

You will not be able to choose a provider, so you will not be able to get channels, or a blank channel guide.

All recording setups will disappear. Any on-going (record every week, etc), will be gone.

They have no idea how anyone will even be able to manually record since you will need the clock to be in sync and channels (which cannot be manually entered since you have to get them via a provider) to do this. They hope to get clarification on this later.

So, if WiRNS needs DNNA servers for anything, it will not work either.

I would love to pool together any buy them out. The contact is this person:
Michael Begala
VP Service
D&M Holdings
100 Corporate Dr.
Mahwah, NJ 07430
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: