Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading Error: Input String (Trend Micro Titanium Maxim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Downloading Error: Input String (Trend Micro Titanium Maxim Reply with quote

I'm glad to see at least a relatively recent post & response in the DVArchive section here! I tried the DVArchive forum but was unable to post because my account is inactive(?) & I couldn't figure out how to reactivate it, nor could I register as a new user.

I'm a longtime DVA & RTV heavy user. There have been a few bumps through the years, but I've always been able to get them resolved with a little (or a lot of) help from the fourms

My new problem is related to moving shows from one of my RTVs to my PC (Windows Vista). I do this fairly regularly with the last time being 5/11. When I attempted to move some shows last night, I got an error message (which brilliant me didn't save) about a download error related to an input string (whatever that means).

The only thing that's changed with this computer between then & now is an annual upgrade to my "internet security" software. We've been using Trend Micro products for several years now, and I had the annual upgrade installed on another computer on our network for a few weeks before installing it on my computer "just in case." It worked fine with no problems, but that PC doesn't run DVA. <sigh>

The "new & improved" product is called Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security. I couldn't honestly tell you what the changes are except that I can't find where within that program to even try to mess around with settings that allow DVA to work.

One "difference" is that it seems to have done away with its own firewall & instead use Windows Firewall. I tried disabling that, but DVA still generated an input string download error.

(Note, between each attempt, I close DVA & restart, if that makes a difference.)

Then I tried disabling Trend, and I was able to move a show. Which is great, but I really don't want to have to disable the internet security for hours & hours at a time.

Then I tried re-enabling Trend, and the input string download error recurred when trying to move a show.

Then, I tried disabling Trend, started moving a show, let it get to 1%, and then re-enabled Trend. Eureka! That's worked for two shows so far.

What doesn't work is to do the above for more than one show in a row -- the show where Trend was disabled & then re-enabled after starting the move completes fine, but a second or third show queued up to move after the first completes generate the input string download error. Arrgh!

So, I've found a way that works, but it really is a PITA since I do moves overnight & therefore am not at the computer to disable Trend, start a move, let it get started, re-enable Trend, let the move finish, disable Trend again, start a move, re-enable Trend, etc.

I understand that the odds of anyone here having run into this problem with Trend is very small & that I'll almost certainly have to contact Trend's tech support, but it occurs to me I don't even know how to explain the problem! I don't understand the technical magic behind how DVA does what it does, so I suppose what I'm hoping for is that someone can give me suggestions about how to explain the DVA/Trend problem to Trend's tech support to maximize the odds that I won't get caught in a frustrating & unproductive circle with them.

I will greatly appreciate any assistance!

As a quasi-unrelated aside, I've somewhat defected over to the imperfect HD DVR dark side. About a year ago, we added two Moxi 3-tuner HD DVRs & two Mates to our home (that's in addition to our 5 RTVs) -- Tivo was out of the question because we've got Time Warner Cable, and they encrypt almost everything, which makes the Tivo not a workable multi-room solution for us.

I really dig the ability to record in HD (to me, there's a huge difference in quality, which was surprising to me), but it's definitely not a perfect solution for many reasons. The most significant for me is the inability to do what DVA is able to accomplish with RTVs: move recorded shows off the box. I'm a quilter so I want to keep the quilting shows I record for future reference, and the DVA/RTV combo is perfect IMHO for that, as well as for continuing to grow -- and perhaps just as importantly given the propensity of crash, backup -- my personal way too big video collection.

IOW, I'm still looking for a HD solution. <sigh>

TIA,
Saundra
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundra,

It definately sounds to me like your Trend Micro is blocking connection attempts between DVA and your Replay on port 80 which is the server port that DVA uses.

Like you mentioned, if you disable Trend the connection works. And then when you reenable it, Trend doesn't attmept to cut off already existing/active connetions, but blocks all future ones. Since every "show" download generates another connection attempt between DVA and your Replay, this makes sense.

A couple of things you could try are:

1. In DVA, go to "File", "DVArchive Properties", and click on the "Server" tab. Then change the port that DVA uses from port 80 (default) to something else like 8080. Restart DVA, and see if that prompts Trend to ask you for permissions to allow the connection or not. If so, then Trend is blocking port 80 by default for applications other than things like the installed browsers on your pc that are a lot more commonplace.

2. Contact Trend support and ask how to setup a firewall rule that will allow a specific program (DVA), to access your private LAN (192.168.1.xxx or whatever subnet your router uses) and on the port you configure in DVA (80 which is default or whatever you may have changed it to) OR to setup a firewall rule that allows your Replay IP address to communicate with your PC IP address on whatever port DVA's server is using.

If it were me, I would prefer the program based rule over the IP based one only because if your pc and Replay are using DHCP (don't have static IP's). Then the IP could change at some point and your rule won't work as intended. You could also ask them to setup a rule in Trend that allows total communication between all devices on your private LAN so no matter what IP your Replay has, it can still connect to your PC, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a firewall on your PC in the first place.

HTH,

J
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Thanks . . . Reply with quote

. . . for the response, J -- I appreciate it!

I think I'm going to call Trend tomorrow. For the life of me, I cannot find in Titanium where I can create a firewall rule or any user settings where I can configure anything much at all, which is a real departure from my experience with previous versions.

In the past, Trend included its own firewall, but the current version relies on Windows' firewall, which doesn't seem to be a problem -- I'm able to move recorded content from my RTVs to my PC with Windows' firewall running but not if Trend is running -- I have to manually exit Trend, wait until the mpeg has started downloading, and then re-enable it. What a PITA.

I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot after calling Trend (it will probably be an "if it were a snake, it would have bit me" moment), but I'm incredibly frustrated at this point. I'm often decent at figuring things out myself (I managed to get settings set up so DVArchive, IVS, and a whole lot of other things worked fine with previous versions), so I'm more than a little annoyed that I can't get this figured out.

My network setup is a PITA. I use static IP addressing tied to MAC addresses for most of my devices (including the RTVs), but I had to enable DHCP for a narrow range because we have Moxi HD DVRs & Mates, and those can't be set for static IP use. <shaking my head>

Thanks Again,
Saundra
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Success! Just in case anyone else runs into the same problem with DVArchive & Trend Micro Titanium Protection (2011), I thought I'd post the solution.

After two calls to tech support & close to two hours on the phone trying this & that & the other thing, the solution was a was hotfix from Trend Micro:
http://esupport.trendmicro.com/solution/en-us/1058551.aspx

My DVArchive is once again working just like it always did before I installed the new Trend Micro product, and I'm a very happy camper

On to trying to figure out WiRNS, which has kicked my rear at least twice in past years.

Saundra
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it worked out!

-J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: