Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVArchive TV Listings are in UTC/GMT on Windows 2008 Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilJSmith67
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: DVArchive TV Listings are in UTC/GMT on Windows 2008 Server Reply with quote

I've tried using tzutil, examining the registry, and promoting my user account to Administrator, but my TV listings always appear in UTC (GMT), instead of my local time zone (Central Time Zone / GMT-6). I don't have this problem with any other apps on my server. The time.gov Java applet shows the correct local time, too. I am running Windows 2008 Server R2 (64-bit). It is synched to time-a.nist.gov.

When DVArchive connects to my ReplayTV unit, it shows "Timestamp offset set to 2 seconds" or something pretty small, which is the same thing I see when I run DVArchive on my Windows Vista (32-bit) and Windows 7 (64-bit) machines. I don't have problems with any other areas of functionality in DVArchive. Setting a show to record from the guide works fine, but if I want a show at 8pm, I have to look for it at 2am the next morning. "Jump To Now" takes me to the current time in UTC, too.
PhilJSmith67
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: DVArchive TV Listings are in UTC/GMT on Windows 2008 Ser Reply with quote

I have the latest revision of Java installed...

C:\Users\Phil>java -version
java version "1.6.0_23"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you post your problem on the DVArchive forum to get a useful response, however since DVArchive is a Java application, it's going to have to be something to do with Java. It's possible that DVA uses some Java method that has been deprecated or doesn't work correctly on your setup...

Henry
PhilJSmith67
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Solved! Reply with quote

"Sort of" solved, anyway.

This was indeed a Java problem with the JRE on my system. I tried running the Oracle Timezone Updater Tool, but this didn't fix the problem either.

My fix was to simply force the JVM to use my local timezone with a command line argument. I modified my DVArchive desktop shortcut by adding this argument: -Duser.timezone="America/Chicago"

The times are all GMT-5 inside of DVArchive now, which includes the current Daylight Savings offset, and the times are also GMT-5 in the DVArchive web interface, instead of GMT.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee! You'd have to wonder why your JavaVM doesn't have the correct local time zone setting without you forcing it on the command line!

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the time zone setting on the windows clock?

I have two clicks on this machine, Windows clock, which is what everything EXCEPT for selected programs use shows "Local" time, Which in my case is Extra Dumb Stupid Time (EDST, or Eastern Daylight Standard Time) Just now,, Come winter it will switch back to Extra Smart Time (Eastern Standard Time)

The other clock overrides and shows UTC, as to the other programs, (Which actually show both times) but they are there only because I'm WA8YXM and as such I log in UTC
PhilJSmith67
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-D wrote:
What is the time zone setting on the windows clock?

I have two clicks on this machine, Windows clock, which is what everything EXCEPT for selected programs use shows "Local" time, Which in my case is Extra Dumb Stupid Time (EDST, or Eastern Daylight Standard Time) Just now,, Come winter it will switch back to Extra Smart Time (Eastern Standard Time)

The other clock overrides and shows UTC, as to the other programs, (Which actually show both times) but they are there only because I'm WA8YXM and as such I log in UTC

The timezone setting in Windows is "(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)", which as I write is Friday, April 29, 2011, 15:20:45. Right now UTC time is Friday, April 29, 2011, 20:20:45. It's set identically to my Vista 32-bit and Win7 64-bit machines.
PhilJSmith67
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Gee! You'd have to wonder why your JavaVM doesn't have the correct local time zone setting without you forcing it on the command line!

Henry

I don't know. I "solved" the problem, but I didn't solve why the JVM isn't picking up CDT by default. I didn't see anything peculiar in the registry for the timezones or current time zone setting, in comparison to my Win7 x64 machine. I've been working as a programmer an manager of development teams in an around PCs running Java for nearly three decades and yet, with my experience, I still haven't found the missing link here.

But... I am also willing to accept that since I always launch DVArchive with a shortcut icon that includes the command line hack, I'm getting the results I want. At least I don't have to explain to my wife how to program the DVArchive in UTC.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilJSmith67 wrote:
At least I don't have to explain to my wife how to program the DVArchive in UTC.

And, that's the key!

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: