Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting IVSmagic to work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FredPMD
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: getting IVSmagic to work Reply with quote

I am new to this forum and to IVSmagic. When I first started installing IVSmagic it worked fine. Something happened and now I cannot log on. I get a message, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". The address bar displays, "http://192.168.0.7:8080/". I recently changed my router from Lynksys to Netgear. I have spent several hours trying to reinstall IVSmagic. I am obviously doing something wrong but have not been able to figure out what. Please help me.
FredPMD
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: update on "getting IVSmagic to work" Reply with quote

After reviewing the post from Replay user pwreimers, posted Thu Mar 05, 2009, post subject: "New user needs setup help with IVS Magic", I was able to get alot of information from fbreshears. Now my system is up and running. I have DVArchive, WiRNS and IVSmagic working. Thanks, Frank. I still have problems uploading shows to Poopli but will look through the message board for help. Thanks again, Fred
FredPMD
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

Good news. My IVSmagic is working and I am able to upload shows to Poopli. Thanks to Planet Replay and it's members. Fred nod
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question.. I know what IVS is.. What should IVS-magic do for me?

Question 2: Will it give me IVS capability on my 5500?

Problem 1: I have used IVS on my 5000 in the past, when I had a static IP address... but now days not only does the IP change every couple of weeks,,, But all 4 octets change.

I go from Charter cable Internet to Verizon 2-way Satellete. to,, Assorted other networks. (The house moves)

Would IVS magic help me to use IVS?
FredPMD
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the following link:
http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/ivsmagicbeta/

It gives you good information on IVSmagic. This program will work with a 5500 unit. It will give you Internet Video Sharing capability.

I am not familiar with Verizon 2-way Satellete. You should be able to configure the router or computer to give you a static address.
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.. verison 2-way sat internet is the worst of the sat internet providers.. Sat internet means you have a 1/2 second plus PING time (Due to speed of light delay, no way around it) to everywhere. Speeds approximate DSL, but the other providers are more reliable. Plus the connection here in the park is shared with other park members. Which means it's much better now than it was last weekend (After labor day it gets better due to fewer shares being passed out)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-D wrote:

You should read the doc sited, but IVSmagic was originally meant to allow users a way to monitor IVS sends, which the ReplayTV doesn't provide any information. When Poopli was at its high point, that was one of the biggest problems of the senders, that they had no idea what was going on with their show sends for show requests. So, IVSmagic specifically provided this information...

Since then, it has grown to be more a Swiss Army Knife of IVS capability. However, you should know that pretty much all of the capability of IVSmagic is now contained in WiRNS. But, WiRNS can also be configured to run in tandem with IVSmagic. IVSmagic is much simpler to install than WiRNS, but since you are already running it, it may not provide you any extra capability than you already have...

John-D wrote:
Question 2: Will it give me IVS capability on my 5500?

Both IVSmagic and WiRNS contain Virtual ReplayTVs which can receive shows on behalf of your 5500. They don't actually change the capability of the 5500, but from the outside world that wouldn't be obvious. You'd still have to stream the shows from the Virtual ReplayTV to your 5500 as the received show wouldn't actually be on the 5500's hard drive...

However, using WiRNS, you can actually turn on IVS and Commercial Advance on your 5500 as described here and here...

John-D wrote:
Problem 1: I have used IVS on my 5000 in the past, when I had a static IP address... but now days not only does the IP change every couple of weeks,,, But all 4 octets change.

I go from Charter cable Internet to Verizon 2-way Satellete. to,, Assorted other networks. (The house moves)

Would IVS magic help me to use IVS?

IVS is designed to operate with changing IP addresses as this is quite normal for most home users (that their public address changes). Having a static IP address for your ReplayTV doesn't change the fact that IVS communicates over the Internet and uses the public address of your router, which typically isn't static. That would be really bad if the requirements of IVS was that everyone had to purchase a static IP for each of their ReplayTVs from their ISP!

Anyway, IVS uses Dynamic DNS to be able to find your ReplayTV. So, the ReplayTV announces its IP address to allow being able to communicate with the unit. That's why IVS is by ISN (the 15 digit number), which uniquely identifies (most of the time) each ReplayTV. Sending and receiving shows by ISN is what allows dynamically being able to contact each unit...

IVSmagic doesn't really help with being able to use IVS, but if you use the Virtual ReplayTV, then it also has to have its own ISN in order to be able to send or recieve shows (the same is true for WiRNS). However, both IVSmagic and WiRNS help out in a way because sometimes the ReplayTV DDNS server is down and both IVSmagic and WiRNS can access the user built backup DDNS servers. That really doesn't have anything to do with your changing Internet Providers and IP addresses, but it is certainly one of the benefits of using IVSmagic or WiRNS...

Henry
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that IVSmagic is no longer actively maintained. Which means that 'what you see is what you get' and it has some limitations that caused me to abandon it in favor of WiRNS. WiRNS is being maintained in an excellent fashion and has been consistently improved since it began.
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank you Henry.. Usually however when folks use dynamic IP on a home router the first octet does not hange.. Mine does..

but if the replay/IVS magic / WiRNS say "Hey, Here I am" that fixes that.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-D wrote:
THank you Henry.. Usually however when folks use dynamic IP on a home router the first octet does not hange.. Mine does..

There is nothing magic about the first octet, and ISPs renumber their networks frequently as their demands change, often resulting in all four octets changing. IP addresses are simply 32-bit numbers, with a range of 0 to 4 billion. The "dotted" notation is simply a matter of convenience, and short of a few rules for the private addressing schemes, there really isn't anything significant about breaking the 32-bit number into octets in todays terms. Originally there were class A, B, and C subnets, and you could tell what kind of network they were by the first octet. But, when demands for IP addresses went through the roof, that was all abandoned...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: SEARCHing Forums Archives is MUCH More Efficient Than Asking Reply with quote

John-D wrote:

Investing some of your 'personal time and effort' is the *BEST* way to learn what IVSMagic can do for you.

Also, the LINK that FredPMD kindly provided is a GREAT summary.

John-D wrote:
...Question 2: Will it give me IVS capability on my 5500?

No. finger

And if you spent even a MINIMAL amount of time reading these forums (Joined: 05 May 2009 Posts: 164), you'd already know that *ONLY* by loading a 'pre-55xx' software onto your 55xx ReplayTV and then PROHIBITING any future software upgrades by running / proxying that 'modified' 55xx ReplayTV through WiRNs could you 'emulate' a ReplayTV 5xxx with a ReplayTV 55xx.

But IVSMagic, along with WiRNS, will allow you to create 'Virtual' ReplayTVs on a PC that will give you IVS capability.

NOTE: I've been LURKing here (for *YEARS*) and reading YOUR posts for SEVERAL months now. I understand that you're "on-the-road" and sometimes have LIMITED internet access. BUT, IMHO, you need to spend a bit MORE time reSEARCHing and READing. Some folks are generous / polite enough to reply to your BASIC questions, *BUT*, you have to realize that *MOST* of your questions have been "Asked-and-Answered" *MANY* times, over-and-over, throughout the years.

John-D wrote:
...Problem 1: I have used IVS on my 5000 in the past, when I had a static IP address... but now days not only does the IP change every couple of weeks,,, But all 4 octets change...

AFAIK, a ReplayTV communicates with "ReplayTV Home Base" every hour. So, you can change your ENTIRE IP as much as you like (providing it's not DURING an IVS transfer - Henry can / will correct me on this ) and everything will be fine.

John-D wrote:
...Would IVS magic help me to use IVS?

Before the HDD (Boot Drive) crash on my IVSMagic / WiRNS PC (*YEARS* AGO!), I found the IVSMagic 'Virtual ReplayTV' features *TREMENDOUSLY* useful (ESPECIALLY 'Auto-Accept', IIRC). I'm not going to bore everyone here with WHAT IVSMagic is capable of doing (YOU can reSEARCH that yourself!). But, for anyone owning 55xx ReplayTVs, I would imagine it would be *VERY* useful!

Also, IMHO, IVSMagic was *MUCH* easier to get running than WiRNS. Granted, this was before Henry got involved. And, I haven't looked at WiRNS in a few years now (since my IVSMagic / Wirns / Dell 400SC Boot HDD crashed ).

P.S. *YEARS* ago I was a Moderator here on PlanetReplay (and *MANY* / ?MOST? of the *EXTREMELY* VOCAL ReplayTV members from that time have now 'faded' into history). While my 'intensely-researched' FAQs may have been edited / re-posted into ANONYMOUS entries in SOMEONE ELSE's FAQ-type post(s), I'm *STILL* here, on a regular basis, *STILL* very KNOWLEDGEABLE regarding ReplayTV (and its associated 'helper' programs) though DULLER / FOGGIER due to my darn health problems , *AND* I'm also *STILL* very BLUNT (possibly the reason that the 'Powers That Be' determined it best to DEMOTE me back to 'Member' status.

P.P.S. Another 'side-effect' of my poor health is my insomnia. And, when I've been up 'too long', my OCD tends to 'kick in' and I begin to *OVERLY FORMAT* my posts (I BELIEVE that I'm properly EXPRESSING the vocal highs & lows, along with the facial expressions, of an in-person encounter. IMHO, the folks that DON'T utilize the formatting options available on MOST forums are back in the TTY / Teletype era. *IF* the author of the software CHOOSE to include them, why not USE them?

P.P.P.S. I believe that I'd getting TOO BLUNT now, so I'm going to 'Sign Off' now and hope that you get the gest of my 'War & Peace' post.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: SEARCHing Forums Archives is MUCH More Efficient Than As Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
John-D wrote:
...Problem 1: I have used IVS on my 5000 in the past, when I had a static IP address... but now days not only does the IP change every couple of weeks,,, But all 4 octets change...

AFAIK, a ReplayTV communicates with "ReplayTV Home Base" every hour. So, you can change your ENTIRE IP as much as you like (providing it's not DURING an IVS transfer - Henry can / will correct me on this ) and everything will be fine.

Well, that wouldn't be very nice if your IP address couldn't change during an IVS transfer, would it? Guess you'd have to be sure and schedule all your IVS transfers with your ISP so that they wouldn't do that. And, if you were using DSL or any other number of ISPs that don't retain your current IP address, you'd find out just how frequently IP addresses change during IVS transfers. This is one of the problems that makes IVS tracking so difficult, that when the IP address changes during the IVS transfer, that it loses track of what show is involved. I guess if YOU had read through all the IVSmagic discussions, especially the posts from the author, Bob, you would have known how common it is for the router's IP address to change during an IVS transfer. Fortunately with my router I can see all the IP addresses of show transfers (which is why I don't need IVS tracking), and I have even contacted Poopli people to tell them how many times their IP addresses changed during the transfer. I think the record I have is 5 times that an IP address changed during a show transfer!

So, nope, it's no problem for the ReplayTV's public IP address to change at any time, even during the IVS transfer. Sonic Blue certainly had to allow for whatever kind of ISP you might have, and the protocol has no problem reacquiring the DDNS address if it loses contact with the other end during a transfer. It's really not that hard...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: