Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

weird port forwarding question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: weird port forwarding question Reply with quote

Okay, in general I get port forwarding, I have all my replays working correctly and all that, but I am trying to do something else.

I have two fax machines on the network with http access available for each one. I am trying to be able to get their configuration pages from the internet so I can download files, transfer files on the local network,etc.

I can get to one of them by port forwarding port 80 to that ipaddress. For example, I port forward external 4567 to port 80 on 192.16.0.20 (which is the address of the printer).
That all works and I can access the webutility from outside the lan for that printer.

But I cannot forward say 4569 to port 80 on 192.168.0.21 (which is the ip of the second printer) because my router says that the ports are already taken. I cannot find a way to use an alternate port on the printer like we can on the replays so I am basically stuck.

I know people with much more experience than I can answer this one, please help!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have to denpend on your router. The router that I use that I designed (as you well know) does not require one-to-one port forwarding and can forward any port to any port, so it would work fine with your situation...

You need to find a router with port forwarding which supports configuring both the source and destination port...

It sounds like your router at least supports specifying both the source and destination port (assuming it is really doing what you think), but it looks like it isn't looking at the complete picture of both port number AND IP address. So, maybe it's just a bug with that router or you are doing something wrong...

Henry
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using a cisco/linksys wrt160N on the single port forwarding (you can view the screens for it at portforward.com

I also thought it would combine port and ip, so each would be different, that of course seems to make sense but maybe somehow they don't like it that way. In my mind external port 8050 directing to port 80 on ip5 should not interfere with a redirect of 8060 to port 80 on ip6 since I think they are completely different but maybe linksys didn't want to confuse home users or there are database issues or something strange?
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as a sidebar, i have been hacking my droid/ipad combination devices so i am a little rusty on the replay/port issues as i haven't had much use of those brain cells in awhile, so i am completely open to anything i might have forgotten.
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it to work by monkeying around a bit. It turns out that the router hangs if you have both tcp and udp forwarded as i described. On the port forward page it defaults to both when you set the ports and with that it doesn't allow you to have duplicate ports, but using tcp only, it works fine. I am going to assume it would work fine for udp only too, but obviously being that i am loading a webpage configuration, udp is not the connection type i am looking for. So being lazy cost me the setup, actually configuring instead of using the defaults made it work fine and dandy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: