Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with .XML file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Help with .XML file Reply with quote

Haven't been here in a while. I'm guessing Gary has been M.I.A. for a long time now? Are we on our own? We have to stick together! All we have is each other, now!! LOL

Anyway, here's my problem. I just got a new computer (Gateway laptop - Windows VISTA). My old computer died, so no backup. But, the good news is, I had all my shows on an external hard drive. SO, I just installed DVA 3.2 on my new Vista laptop. Needless to say, I'm having problems.

First off, everything DOES work.. I can see my archived shows on my external hard drive. DVA is talking to my Replay unit just fine, etc. But, DVA is having trouble with the .XML files, and giving me a boat-load of error messages after DVA runs for a few minutes. Here are my most common errors..

1. "Error saving DVArchive Store (DVArchive.xml) - Store MAY be corrupt"

2. SERIOUS ERROR! Unable to rename old store "C:\Users\DVArchive.xml" to backup "C:\Users\DVArchive.xml~" Please be sure directory file can be read/written to...

You can see it all below here..

04/29 22:58:14 Notice: DVArchive V3.2 starting
04/29 22:58:17 Notice: Scheduler Now Running

04/29 23:02:17 ERROR: XMLUTILS:: Error trying to create XML Output file C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:02:17 ERROR: Error flushing persistant store - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:08:01 Notice: UPNP:: Received UPnP packet from previously unknown DVR @ 192.168.1.3 -- looking up DVR info

04/29 23:08:04 REPLAY_DEVICE[Replay T V/192.168.1.3]:: DVR space usage update: Total Capacity 152.18GB, Remaining 41.16GB

04/29 23:08:04 Notice: UPNP:: DVArchive has recognized new DVR ReplayTV named Replay T V at 192.168.1.3:80 (Serial RTV5040K2CA0125456)

04/29 23:08:04 DVR Replay T V Photo space not allocated (less than 512MB) - Photos usage is disabled for this ReplayTV

04/29 23:08:18 Notice: REPLAY_DEVICE[Replay T V/192.168.1.3]:: Timestamp offset set to -3 seconds.

04/29 23:12:17 ERROR: XMLUTILS:: Error trying to create XML Output file C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:12:17 ERROR: Error flushing persistant store - C:\Users\badg671\Documents\DVArchive\Local_Guide\DVArchive.bak (Access is denied)

04/29 23:26:13 ERROR: LOCAL_STORE::SAVE: Unable to rename old store C:\Users\badg671\DVArchive.xml to backup C:\Users\badg671\DVArchive.xml~ - PLEASE BE SURE THE DIRECTORY/FILE CAN BE READ/WRITTEN TO

Can anyone help me with this?? Thanks
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with .XML file Reply with quote

badge671 wrote:
Haven't been here in a while. I'm guessing Gary has been M.I.A. for a long time now? Are we on our own? We have to stick together! All we have is each other, now!! LOL

Gerry really HATES being called Gary, so it's probably a good thing that he doesn't visit the forum very often...

If you want to get better responses to DVArchive questions, you should post them on DVArchive.org instead...

As for your errors, it's probably caused by storing the configuration information for your previous installation of DVArchive on your external hard drive. I would suggest simply deleting DVArchive.xml from your external hard drive path. It appears also that DVA cannot write to its own configuration files. The errors it is giving you are self explanatory: "PLEASE BE SURE THE DIRECTORY/FILE CAN BE READ/WRITTEN TO"...

These are not the show XML files, these are the DVA configuration files...

Henry
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to Vista's funky security/permissions implementation, I could'nt get DVA to run as a service. I finally got it to run properly as an application using WinDVA.
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. Actually, I tried to register for DVArchive.org, but I haven't received my 2nd email granting me access yet. I can't get in there.

I never used WinDVA before on my XP, so it's new to me. I installed it the other day, and seemed to have trouble getting it to work.

1. As far as deleting .xml from my external drive, would you be kind enough to give more detailed instructions? As far as I know, only the shows .xml files are on there. DVA's system .xml config files (.xml, .xml_1, .xml_2, .xml~, etc) are getting installed on my C drive, and my shows and their previous files are on my external E drive. I've tried doing those "permissions" tweaks for VISTA with my .xml files, but it appears that I have full permissions.

2. Also, if you wouldn't mind, more detailed information for setting up WindDVA on VISTA. And, do I need JAVA 1.2.4? Or, will any current/new JAVA work? I did successfully get WinDVA to use JAVA 1.2.4, but like you, couldn't get it to run as service. And when I say I couldn't get it to work for me, I meant that I couldn't get it to launch (show) DVA.

Again, thank you for all your help, guys.
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean delete all the XML docs for each individual recorded show, and leaving the other show files intact? (.ndx, etc)?

I don't see any other .xml files on my external drive.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badge671 wrote:
Did you mean delete all the XML docs for each individual recorded show, and leaving the other show files intact? (.ndx, etc)?

I don't see any other .xml files on my external drive.

NO! Delete the DVArchive.xml files. Those are obviously the ones giving you problems. As I said, it has nothing to do with your show XML files, that's not what DVArchive is complaining about...

It may have more to do with what Frank said. DVA is giving you errors that it can't access the DVA config XML file, NOT the show XML files. So, it seems like you have some kind of permissions problem. It isn't complaining anything about the shows that you have on the external hard drive...

Henry
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure what to do, then. Like I said, I read all about permissions last night. i followed instructions on granting full access permissions to files, etc. I don't seem to be getting anywhere with that.

I disabled UAC for Vista
I tried giving full permission for the XML file itself

DVA is still giving me crap. The XML file IS getting created, right after I acknowledge the error by clicking "ok". Like I said, DVA is functioning, but I'd like to get rid of the errors to avoid crashes, etc.
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.. it seems to be fine until I turn on my ReplayTV unit. Don't know if that's relevant at all.

Doesn't have anything to do with static IP's, does it? I don't want to go through all THAT again! LOL
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

badge671 wrote:
Hmmm.. it seems to be fine until I turn on my ReplayTV unit. Don't know if that's relevant at all.

I don't think that turning on your ReplayTV could have anything to do with DVArchive running on a PC's ability to read and write its configuration file on that PC's local hard drive...

Henry
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, could be a coincidence. But, I took a 20 minute shower with DVA running fine, when I came back and turned on my Replay unit, I got the errors again. Just curious.

Good news.. I finally got WinDVA up and running correctly and launching DVA. Give me about 24 hours to see how it all plays out.
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and thanks again.. I'll keep you posted
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get the error message, "Be sure the directory can be read/written to" for the XML output/save-to-store issue, does that mean that I want to make sure the pathway destination folders DON'T say "Read-Only"?? (i.e. the "Import" folder for the temp files, and the "Local_Guide" folder, when I right-click on their properties?) Because, other than that, as far as I can tell, my permission settings are okay. Yet, I still get the error.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just a novice. I have to really research these things online before I start wrapping my brain around it. I'm just kind of stuck on this particular issue.
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may be onto something. I tried turning off the "Read Only", but Vista keeps putting the check mark back in the read-only box. I just found a thread online about this issue. I guess it's a big problem for a lot of people having issues with programs.

I'll keep digging
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not having any luck. I'm at a total loss. No matter what I do to edit the permissions on Vista, I'm still getting the same errors over and over again.. DVA is unable to save "old store" (DVArchive.xml) to "backup" (DVArchive.xml~)

DVA stops streaming back to my Replay when this happens.
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with where DVArchive is trying to write/rename the DVARCHIVE.XML files. On my XP computer it is located in C:\Documents and Settings\Ed - it will be different on your computer. Try logging in as ADMIN or as a user with administrative rights. Then try running DVArchive again.

Let me repeat, this has absolutely nothing to do with the XML file associated with your shows. Do not mess with those files!

P.S. Vista sucks
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know where my xml files are. After changing ownership on as many files I could find associated with the pathways that I use for DVA, there does seem to be an improvement. I've pretty much eliminated all errors, except for the ".xml to .xml~" error.

I'll keep playing with it, and I'll try your suggestion, too. But, if my user name is listed under "administrators" now after changing ownership, isn't that the same thing as logging on as administrator?
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.. maybe I'll give this a try?

http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-run-a-program-in-vista-with-administrator-rights/
badge671
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, still nothing. I've just posted my problem on a few Vista forums. Hopefully, someone will be able to help me there.

Thanks for trying, guys.
bartsimpson
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Error saving DVArchive store (DVArchive.xml) - store MAY be… Reply with quote

Code:
“badge671”,

I have been experiencing this anomaly off and on for over a year. I decided to seriously investigate it. While there are a few topics posted on DVArchive.org and Planet Replay touching on this issue, this posting is the closest and most relevant to what I am attempting to address. Instead of posting a new topic, I would like to add to yours.

[If it matters, following is a brief description of the section of this network site that uses DVArchive:

* Personal computer
  * Windows Vista (6.0.6001) 64-bit Home Premium
  * Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000
  * Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 (1.6.0.10)
* Server
  (Shares mounted on PC using CIFS/SMB.
  Opportunistic locking enabled.)
  * Share A
    * DVArchive 3.2, DVArchive.xml
      (Both in same directory.
      JRE & DVA started on PC with
      ...\javaw -Xmx128m -jar "\\(server)\(share a)\...\DVArchive\DVArchive.jar" --store .\DVArchive.xml)
  * Share B
    * Local_Guide]

I noticed that DVA throws the "Error saving DVArchive store (DVArchive.xml) - store MAY be corrupt" error dialog box only when I interact with the Local_Guide directory in some fashion. Following are examples:

* At command-line, change to Local_Guide as current directory and list content
* Using Explorer, show Local_Guide content
* Using WMP, play a Local_Guide MPEG file

I have been unable to ascertain the specific actions and their order that will duplicate the anomaly. Once initiated, it simply continues. If, for example, it was watching a Local_Guide MPEG file with WMP that caused DVA to begin throwing the error, and I terminate the WMP process, DVA will continue to throw the error.

Following are additional observations:

* DVA throws the error at the same frequency, during and after whatever causes DVA to begin doing so.
* While discomfiting when first noticed, it has since been verified that the displayed error is benign. So far, there is no data loss.
* After DVA begins throwing the error, it becomes much much much more responsive, whereas before, it may literally take well over a minute or two for it to respond to a scrollover or button down event.
* After a long, still indeterminate, period of throwing the error, DVA will cease doing so, even if whatever causes DVA to begin doing so is still running.

Because the error is benign and DVA becomes snappier and more responsive, unlike others, I would actually like to reproduce the error. Determining the root cause is common to all of our efforts. With the above information, if Gerry, you, or anyone else can shed further light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you all.

Best regards,
“bartsimpson”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: