Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack won't dial!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trichards52
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: MagicJack won't dial!!! Reply with quote

I am using a MagicJack to try to dial up and get my tv listing and it will not work. Anybody have any luck hooking up with Magic Jack? Thanks
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF your using a Magic Jack, then you should be using some form of highspeed internet (DSL or Cable).

If so, why don't you just you the network connection to have it get your channel guide ?

Also I don't think anyone on here has been able to get it to work with the Magicjack.
trichards52
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Reply with quote

How do I hook up to it? I appreciate your responsed tremendously. Tim
trichards52
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choli0090 wrote:
IF your using a Magic Jack, then you should be using some form of highspeed internet (DSL or Cable).

If so, why don't you just you the network connection to have it get your channel guide ?

Also I don't think anyone on here has been able to get it to work with the Magicjack.

How do I do that? I have DSL. Thanks, Tim
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,
If I'm not mistaken, the Replay 3000 series does not have any kind of ethernet connection which means the high speed internet connection is not going to work.

I'm sure someone around has gotten one of them to work with VOiP.

Good luck!

Scott
harthenry
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris:
The 2000 series of ReplayTV does not have an ethernet jack. It only has a POTS jack that allows you to call out via old fashioned Ma-Bell. However, not all is lost. You may be able to get some relief by changing the baud rate at which the modem connects to your POTS line. When setting up the outbound dialing, on the screen that asks for a "prefix" to be entered (IE: pause, call waiting disable, etc) press the ZONES button. This will allow you to edit certain MODEM settings. One is speed.

PS: I also have MagicJack, however, I can not get it to work either even at 9600 buad. And, forget about TMobile at home- it does not work either. Good Luck

HH
mikey00
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Panasonic ShowStopper 2000 with VOIP for a couple of years now with mixed results. I first subscribed to SunRocket VOIP and it would only connect about once or twice a week. Being that you get a weeks worth of programming with every connect this was almost OK. I expirmented with DSL filters, different baud rates, different local call in numbers without any luck. I sit there and force connection attempts over and over again. Then SunRocket went out of business and TeleBlend took over. All of a sudden I was connecting almost every night. This got worse over time, and now almost a year later I can't get it to connect at all. In desperation I thought I would try a MagicJack free trial. It's not easy but if I work at it, I can force a connection at least once a week to get programming info and sync my clock. I have found that slower is not always better with baud rate. My best chance of connecting seems to be at 16.4. I also tried all the local call in numbers and use one that I think gives me the best chance of connecting.
I am still looking for a solution that provides better connection success. I have heard that Comcast DigitalVoice might be better. I may try that next.
adone36
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the unit fails on a connect, there is a chance that the modem registers get corruptted. If this happens you must remove power to clear them, a warm reboot will not do it. So if you were experimenting with speeds and they got fouled, all of your attempts afterward would fail even though one might have worked cold.
mikey00
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adone36 wrote:
If the unit fails on a connect, there is a chance that the modem registers get corruptted. If this happens you must remove power to clear them, a warm reboot will not do it. So if you were experimenting with speeds and they got fouled, all of your attempts afterward would fail even though one might have worked cold.

The key words here are "there is a chance that the modem registers get corruptted". In reality this doesn't happen. If I am experimenting with speeds and failing to connect, I will always connect eventually if I am persistent enough. This is without a power down.
adone36
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"In reality", it most certainly does and you should stick to what you know.

'
mikey00
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adone36 wrote:
"In reality", it most certainly does and you should stick to what you know.
'

I spent far to many hours then I care to admit forcing Replay TV to connect over VOIP. What I do know that I can always connect after connect failures without powering down to clear corrupt registers as long as I am persistent. You may be correct in theory or maybe in some models or setups but that is the way mine works and that I do know.
chapotito
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Vonage Reply with quote

I guess I was in luck. My unit was a 5k. I used Vonage and connected with no problems. At a later time I network so it is not connected to the phone line anymore. I do not remember having to do anything special. I just plug it and worked.
mikey00
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like some hit it lucky with dial up on VOIP and others don't. There are also a lot of variables like VOIP provider, internet provider, ReplayTV modem speed and local call in number. After trying all the variables I can't get a connect with Teleblend (my VOIP provider) anymore. So I pay $20 a year for MagicJack, just so I can plug it in once a week and force a ReplayTV connect to get my program guide and keep the clock synced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: