Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IR code for Insignia NS-DXA1 / How to Create New IR Code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arby
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: IR code for Insignia NS-DXA1 / How to Create New IR Code Reply with quote

Does anyone have the IR blaster code for a Insignia Model NS-DXA1 Set Top Convertor box that will work with Replay 5040 units?

Or, Does anyone know how can I program a New IR Code into ReplayTV 5040 unit?

(Background Info: The manufacturer of my universal remote has suggested using Cable Code 1415 for the Convertor box. I do not know for certain if this code will work, since the Universal Remote firmware currently does not accept this code and therefore needs to be updated.

Also the ReplayTV 5040 does not have this code installed. I have tested all of the IR custom codes currently installed in the ReplayTV unit and none of them operate the convertor.)

Thanks in advance for any information or ideas.

butcho
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread as I am also looking for the IR code to control the Insignia DTV converter box. Does anyone know the IR code or know how to setup the Replay to control this box?

Thanks!
jhagen
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do not have one of the Insignia STB, looking at the JP1 files it appears that you will need to add an IR blaster code to the replay to control it. These are known as RID files and there is one present in the JP1 file section.

The file is located here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=84
chapotito
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Try Zenith Reply with quote

I think the Insignia boxes are made by LG and they brand them either LG/Zenith/Insignia. Try the codes for those. I myself use CM 7000 and DTVPal Pluss. The CM is the best one so far.
chapotito
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link may help with the ir codes downloading if you cant find codes that work. http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/add_ir_codes.html
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Try Zenith Reply with quote

chapotito wrote:
I think the Insignia boxes are made by LG and they brand them either LG/Zenith/Insignia. Try the codes for those. I myself use CM 7000 and DTVPal Pluss. The CM is the best one so far.

I had to upgrade the Replay code list with one of the downloadable guides and found code set 2008 runs the Zenith/Insignia that I have Had I know it was made by LG I'd not have bought it..

I replied to THIS message however because I have a DTVPAL on my 5000

(The insignia is on the 5500)

I have been unable to get tier 2 channels on the DTV pal. I currently record by using the programing ability on the DTV pal and then manual record, line one, no tuning. to get the program.. I'd like to simplify if I can

(Also having issues with the Insignia.. Depending on the number of digits I send as minimum I get either channel 62 or 62-1 or I get 6-21.

NOTE that I need to get 2 (The -1 is optional) 4-1,4-2 (Currently it will toggle but at 3 or more digits it's good, at 1 or 2 it toggles) 7-1, 7-2 (those I can do reliably no problem) 20, (-1 or -2 don't matter) 50-1 56-1 62-anything (there is only -1)

Depending on the settings I can't get either 4-2 or 62

(if it will do 62 (or 621) then 4 toggles between 1 and 2, If I get 4 to work properly then 62 comes out 6-2

Driving me digitally batty
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is going to be a problem because the Replay is always going to send one digit less than is necessary, that is, it is never going to send the subchannel digit...

What you might need to do is edit the RID file to add the digit '1' on the end so that you get the appropriate number of digits to tune to any channel...

If you want to make subchannels work, then you'd need something like WiRNS to allow you to remap the channel numbers so you could send channel 41 for 4-1 and channel 42 for 4-2, etc. and set you Replay for the appropriate number of minimum digits...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some additional research last night.... I hooked up two TV's one direct to the converter and one to the Replay

The problem is this.. I can indeed get sub channels on SOME channels, 42 for example is seen by the insignia as 4-2 702 is seen as 7-02

However on some channels, if I tell it "Send 3 digts" or more using the fine tuning it tosses something other than a ZERO as the leading digit

For example if I tell it 201 or just 20) it might toss an 11 so it sends 11021 or some such

On another channel (I think that's 62) it tosses an 8 instead of a zero

The blasted thing is sending the wrong numbers to the converter

I am using code 2008.... Any help I could use.
edmtowin
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the rid files for Insignia/Zenith NS-DXA1, code 2900. I used DVarchive and Wirns to get the code into ReplayTV. Then I set up a satellite box for DirectTV, using "Other" as the brand, and code 2900. All settings were saved. The ReplayTV does not change channels on the Insignia. What could the problem be?

Second question: This link from an above post: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/add_ir_codes.html
These are the downloaded files:
crctest.c
crctest.h
extract_rtv.c
extract_rtv5.exe
ReadMe.txt
VersionHistory.txt
I used Nero and none of the files are image files. How can a CD be made from an image file?
What does extract_rtv5.exe do?

Will one of the codes, such as 2008 LG LST-3xxx, properly control the Insignia/Zenith NS-DXA1?

Thanks,
Ed M.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
Second question: This link from an above post: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/add_ir_codes.html
These are the downloaded files:
crctest.c
crctest.h
extract_rtv.c
extract_rtv5.exe
ReadMe.txt
VersionHistory.txt
I used Nero and none of the files are image files. How can a CD be made from an image file?
What does extract_rtv5.exe do?

I don't know what you clicked on once you got on the SourceForge.net website, but it sounds like you downloaded the extract_rtv5 project instead of the Linux boot CD project. I just went through the same link that you posted and had no problem downloading the Linux boot CD ISO image...

extract_rtv5 extracts shows and files from your RTV 5K hard drive and places them on your PC. It also can be used to write files onto the RTV hard drive, so it can be used to put IR blaster files onto the RTV hard drive when using a network method either isn't possible or convenient...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. I guess I will mention that I got the Replay workign fine now with the Insigna/Zenith converter. I can do channels like 4-1, or 40-1, don't matter (or 40-2 and 62-2) (Actually 40-1 does matter, no such channel where I"m at just now)

I told it to send minimum 3 digits.. and I have to "remap" the channels so 4-1 becomes 41, 4-2 42, and 62-x 62x (to give the examples) WiRNS does the re-map when I am able to connect and download a guide (not often) and I just manually program the rest of the time.

But that's working

Now if only I could get the other replay to play the same way with the DTVpal+ receiver I'd be happier than the clam that is NOT in sauce.

(I had it once.. but lost it, and like a dumb dumb forgot to write it down)

It will do 62-x (or 31-x or any 2-digit -x but it won't do singledigit-x like 41, if I feed it 3 digits it looks for 41-1 if I feed it four, the leading zero is not a zero. When I manually punch 4-1 on the DTV pal remote I punch 0-0-4-1 and .. it goes 004, pause -1 and works)
edmtowin
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
Linux is foreign to me so it didn't occur to me that this was the right one. I created the Linux cd and booted it. After a few minutes it said that there were no Replay's present. At the bottom it said to force a net connect. I did, using the DNS1 192.168.1.24 address. It wouldn't connect. Then I switched to the automatic DNS1 192.168.1.21 address. After rebooting the Linux disk again, it again said there were no Replay's present. I tried to force a net connect and the Replay connected. After connection there was no code 2008 available. What do you think it is?

Thanks,
Ed M.

John-D,
It is encouraging that you can connect. Are you using code 2900, 2008 or something else? Did you use the Linux disk or the DVarchive, Wirns method?

When I use the regular remote, the blue light blinks when the unit is receiving a signal. With the IR blaster, the blue light does not blink, which means that it is not receiving a signal or the signal is not the right one.
Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Ed M.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
Linux is foreign to me so it didn't occur to me that this was the right one. I created the Linux cd and booted it. After a few minutes it said that there were no Replay's present. At the bottom it said to force a net connect. I did, using the DNS1 192.168.1.24 address. It wouldn't connect. Then I switched to the automatic DNS1 192.168.1.21 address. After rebooting the Linux disk again, it again said there were no Replay's present. I tried to force a net connect and the Replay connected. After connection there was no code 2008 available. What do you think it is?

The Linux boot HAS to see a ReplayTV in order to put the files necessary on the unit. The ReplayTV net connect then moves the files into the appropriate location on the hard drive. But, without the first step, the second step can't work (as you found). I would do some checking on the Linux boot to see if it is setting up networking properly, like run ifconfig and make sure that it has an appropriate address on your network and net mask. Then you can run "route show" to make sure that your gateway address is configured properly (although, that doesn't matter for finding a ReplayTV on your Local Area Network)...

So, basically you have to get through step 1, having the Linux boot see your ReplayTV, before you can proceed to step 2...

Also, it sounds like the ReplayTV never "saw" the Linux boot, either. When you boot Linux and run the ifconfig, then you should find out with the Linux IP address is. That is what you enter into your ReplayTV's DNS address(es). I'm not sure where you got 192.168.1.24 from, unless that was what the Linux boot said that its IP address was...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To update the Replay I used the stand alone BOOT cd. I don't know if it is linux or what since I never actually saw the operating system it uses

For the person with problems ... This cd is rather easy to use. Make sure the computer is connected to the replay's network (DVArchive or WiRNS can both do that) so it can see the replays.. now put the CD in the disc drive. Make sure the computer can boot from CD (That's a bios setting) turn the comptuer off, and back on. it will boot from the cd and do what needs doing.

Then you follow the instructions in the read me file

Code I used was 2008, enable fine tuning, 3 digits, for the insignia

Now if only I could get the DTV Pal working that same way
edmtowin
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry and John-D,

I fiiiinaaaaalllly got it to work. After many Linux cd boots on my Windows Vista computer without finding Replay, I tried my older Windows XP computer. It worked perfectly the first time. I have no idea why because the computers both started in Linux, not Windows.

Unless someone knows why off the top of their head, it is not worth spending more time trying to figure out why it wouldn't work on my Vista computer. It worked on my XP computer.

Replay controls the Insignia box using code 2008.

Thank you so much for your help!
Ed M.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
I have no idea why because the computers both started in Linux, not Windows.

Unless someone knows why off the top of their head, it is not worth spending more time trying to figure out why it wouldn't work on my Vista computer. It worked on my XP computer.

Started doesn't mean that it recognized all the hardware properly. Linux will start up just fine even if it doesn't find a compatible Ethernet card, for example. So, I suspect that it was some hardware incompatibility that prevented it from working properly on your new PC. It obviously has nothing to do with the fact that one is a Vista computer and the other is an XP computer, the are both just PCs...

Henry
edmtowin
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
It does make sense that it could be something like an ethernet card. The Vista computer is newer and could have technology that the Linux disk does not accomodate.
Ed M.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
It does make sense that it could be something like an ethernet card. The Vista computer is newer and could have technology that the Linux disk does not accomodate.

Easily! That Linux boot CD is pretty old. There are probably a lot of Ethernet cards that have come out since then that it might not handle! But, that's where running ifconfig would have told you if it was able to handle the Ethernet card or not, and if it could assign it an address or not. Having ifconfig tell you there was an en0 interface with a proper IP address and net mask would have let you know that it was networking properly...

Henry
edmtowin
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From above on this topic: "Code I used was 2008, enable fine tuning, 3 digits, for the insignia".
Does the Replay properly control Insignia with subchannels? Do you use Wirns for the channels? Is the Schedules Direct the way to go with Wirns?
Thanks,
Ed M.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
From above on this topic: "Code I used was 2008, enable fine tuning, 3 digits, for the insignia".
Does the Replay properly control Insignia with subchannels? Do you use Wirns for the channels? Is the Schedules Direct the way to go with Wirns?

The ReplayTV doesn't know anything about subchannels nor digital TV. Even though you can add an external digital DTV tuner, ReplayTV has no plans to support digital channels. In fact, the ReplayTV channel guide only shows over-the-air channels that are still broadcasting analog (have no subchannels). If you look at the Zap2It guide for your ZIP code, it will show the over-the-air channels, the analog channels with no subchannel and the digital channels with their appropriate subchannels. ReplayTV, however, only provides the guide data for the analog channels, which don't have subchannels...

So, what you have to do is get a channel guide source which can provide the digital over-the-air channel numbers, such as using SchedulesDirect or one of the satellite channel lineups which have the appropriate local over-the-air channels. Then you can use something like WiRNS to change the channel numbers that the ReplayTV tunes to so that it will send the complete channel number, including the subchannel. It also usually requires that your DTV tuner can tune subchannels without using the dash key, for example, that you can enter something like 0062 on the DTV remote and have it tune to channel 6-2. Then you configure WiRNS to set that channel number as 62 and configure the ReplayTV to always send 4 digits (in this example). That will make the ReplayTV also send 0062, which should cause the DTV tuner to tune to channel 6-2. Sometimes you also need to configure the ReplayTV to send the enter key to make the DTV tuner tune properly...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmtowin wrote:
Thanks,
Ed M.

The answer is yes... sort-of

Here is how it works... Two methods

When I can get an internet connection in the motor home I use WiRNS to download the guide from a XML source and then use it's Channel re-map feature.. This way channel 4 becomes 41, channel 7 becomes 71 and such

The problem is I do not yet have a guide source that will work with WiRNS that will give me all the sub channels.. More on that in method two

Then the replay, when I want channel 4-1 sends 0 4 1 to the Insignia.

The insignia says "Channel 04, sub channel 1" and tunes to 04-1

ALas, my DTV pal won't do that but that's another story. (it wants a two leading zeros and though I can tell the replay to do that, the first zero is NOT a zero)

Now, method 2

This is what I use when I can not get a guide to the replays. SUch as where I'm parked now

I download the Zap-2-it TV guides and PDF 'em on this laptop. Then I sneaker net the laptop to my printer and print 'em out.. I now have a paper TV guide that is customised to where I'm parked.

I then use manual.. Again, If I want 4-1 I enter 4-1,, 13-1 I enter 131

The replay sends 041 or 131 and the converter takes the first two digits as "Channel" and the 3rd as sub channel

Works great.

But you have to re-map the channels using WiRNS's and shang the guide from there. Else it don't work at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: