Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MYTH TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KennyWally
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: MYTH TV Reply with quote

Since there was so much drama involved with fixing my beloved 7yr old showstopper 3k,
I decided to return the upraded HD, and look into alternatives to being on the monthly hook for a subscription.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-1.html

Myth tv was the last one I looked at, but I haven't studied it real close to see if I want to experiment.

I do have a spare laptop I can use it on, so it has possibilities.

Another one I'm considering, is just a USB HD tuner, but it comes with software to record, pause and record live tv!!!!

That's all I really wanted for the most part anyways. ;

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3119041&CatId=1427

The above mentioned aver media tuner doesn't seem to have good marketing.
If the product performs as advertised, this is a replay tv lovers next best bet.
But maybe they're not hyping the market, because it really isn't ALL THAT!

And yet another one is this one;

http://www.buildadvr.com/feature/add-a-dvr-with-beyond-tv-link/

and the last one I'm considering;

http://www.sagetv.com/

I'm going to keep my options open, even after getting the USB model today , to try it out. At least it is portable where I can show it off, providing everything goes as planned.

I'll be back to tell what happened
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the Replay, I have installed a unit running GBPVR software. While I'm not sure if your capture device is supported, you could check it out and see. I also looked at Myth and Sage wasn't worth the price I was going to have to pay. GBPVR is donationware. I use the Replays for my DirecTv feeds, and the other one for off air DTV & HDTV. I'm using the HVR-1600 Hauppauge card.

Good luck!

Scott
mogator88
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mythtv is very good. I have it running HiDef on an old desktop that I bought on ebay for under $150. OK, I added a graphics card ($50) and tuners, but still I'm very happy with it.

I recommend KnoppMyth http://knoppmyth.net/

But I haven't given up my 5040 either
KennyWally
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott

thanks , and what exactly have you done with that unit?

===========

mogator,

you say you have it running....what exactly, are you able to do with it, besides watch it live?

and I just blew thru knoppmyth, and it also looks interesting, so I'll have to check it out...I may end up using my replay tv shell to house one of these things inside of.

I also have an old, very very old pc that I picked up from a customer of mine who was tossing it out...I'm not sure what kind of processor it has...it might house a hybrid of some kind too.

seems like, the only thing we can't solve, is the content of the programs on tv
mogator88
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I do with it...

Record from five tuners at once (3 internal, 2 external). The next release of mythtv (.21) will support recording full digital streams from a single tuner. Meaning, all subchannels from a station can be recorded from one tuner. I have installed firefox so now I have true internet on my TV. Built in weather reports. Infinitely upgradeable storage. Built-in archiving to DVD.

Really it would take a long time to type out all the features. It can handle everything my 5040 can do, and then a lot more. Really the only thing its missing is IVS, but I'm pretty close to having the ability to translate recordings to the 5000 format. I have to downconvert the recordings then run them through Wreck's conversion script. The problem is that I'm downconverting too much... but like I said I'm close to having that figured out too.

For recording, any old PIII computer that can run XP will be good enough as long as you use a digital tuner or do hardware conversion of analog. For playback that is also fine for SD. For HDTV playback you need minimum CPU of P4 2.0 ghz + nVidia 5200 graphics card, or Sempron 2800 + nVidia 5200 graphics card. A P4 HT or P4 3.0ghz or Athlon dual core should be strong enough to display HDTV without a separate graphics card.

You can use a $199 Apple TV as a second box for multiroom viewing.

On ebay and the used PC sites you can find corporate PC's for very little money that will work. Corporate PC's are often the old "desktop" style that lie horizontally, so they look a little like an AV component.
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the GBPVR system, I have the HVR-1600 tuner, as I indicated, to record the local off air HDTV feeds. Using a P4 2.8GHz system and a 500GB hard drive, I can watch live TV including HD, pause the Live, etc. If I had a 2nd card, then I could record 2 things or any combination. Personally, I don't record anything off network TV, because there is nothing there worth watching. Another feature I've gotten so I like, is the ability to playback my music library. This is something the ole Replay was not designed to do. It will also accept streaming audio via an MPEG stream from the internet.

I have not had time to work out the batch files to make these GBPVR recordings available to the Replay system, but using VideoReDo to re encode the 1600's recordings, it should be a simple thing to pull them into the Replay library, thus have them available for IVS.

Funny thing is, I spent this money and time to develop a HiDef replacement for the old ReplayTV, but in doing so, I've discovered that my 5040's still do the majority of my recordings and playbacks. The new system is just as solid as the Replays, and Sub's customer support on the GBPVR software is 2nd to none, even to companies that I've spent millions of dollars with over the last 30 years. I can't say enough good about it.

One of these days, I'll have to buy an HD TV set. Problem is, I work in the business, so I know what it is supposed to look like, and until I see that in my living room, I just can't quite bring myself to spend the money.

Scott
KennyWally
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback guys

both systems seem pretty decent from what you both describe

It'll be a while b4 I get back you on this

I suppose the only thing I can add is, cable only seems to have a larger pile of garbage to pick through than broadcast tv...IMO, they're both run by the whores of the planet, which is why the programs are full of pretty sick crap.

skerdoba
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What can I do with it... Record from five tuners at once (3 internal, 2 external).

I've also been getting my feet wet with MythTV and so far I really like it. However I was under the impression that there are no commercially available tuner cards (including internal, USB and IP units) that will work with cable or satellite feeds. In other words, with MythTV I believe you are limited to recording over-the-air network TV from an antenna. Mogator, do you find that you need 5 tuners to record OTA broadcasts? I don't necessarily agree with Scott that there is nothing worth watching on network TV, but I can't imagine any situation in which I would need to record programming from ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and a local station all at the same time. Which makes me wonder if my impression about tuner cards being limited to OTA broadcasts is wrong?
mogator88
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people use mythtv with cable and satellite. There are users worldwide. Here in the US cable and sat users record with a card that supports either s-video or composite input; for cable there are cards that will take the coax in. There are even people recording with firewire from their cable box with some limitations. I cannot recommend a non-ota card but a search of myth forums and wikis will.

As far as OTA being junk, well, we felt that way too. But when we went back to OTA we discovered reruns like King of Queens, Bernie Mac, Raymond, etc. One days we looked at each other and asked, "why didn't we watch these before?" The kids have PBS and Qubo instead of Disney and Nick.

I can't imagine taping 5 shows at once either. But its possible to be taping two or three during sweeps week, especially since OTA stations don't rerun like cable. The real reason I have that many tuners is I had several tuner cards but was able to buy a used freestanding ethernet tuner (hdhomerun).

Anyways my monthly unit is at my dad's now. He has cable and the handful of shows we miss we'll now be able to get (and share); mythtv plays replay files very nicely.
skerdoba
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify my previous statement about commercially avaialbe tuner cards not being compatible with cable or satellite set top boxes -- I believe that is the case for high def programming only. Certainly most if not all tuner cards on the market today can receive standard def streams from virtually any cable/satellite provider's set top box. But for high def feeds, I think the choices are limited to the provider's DVR or TiVo. That's a big problem for me in terms of moving forward with Myth when all broadcasts switch over to high def next year. Only about half the shows I normally record from week to week are available as OTA broadcasts.
mogator88
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all broadcasts switch over to high def next year

That's not correct.

All OTA broadcasts will be digital, but many will not be hi-def. Many will be standard def.

Cable and sat providers are not required to change the way they broadcast. You will still be able to get an s-video feed from any STB. And most cable providers will keep their "standard" channel lineup on analog as a customer convenience.

So, if you want to record HBO-HD in HD quality, you'll need a Tivo HD or the provider's DVR. But if you want to keep doing what you've been doing really nothing will change.
skerdoba
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. Thanks for the clarification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Other PVRs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: