Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for my first Replay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fnbrowning
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Looking for my first Replay Reply with quote

Greetings Everyone!

I was searching for a DVR when I came across Replays on eBay.

I have modest needs, and it appears that Replay will meet them. I want to hook to analog Charter cable, timeshift, and exercise my Fair Use rights by moving selected content off my DVR and burning shows to DVD for my personal collection.

I have an Ethernet home network, running Windows XP systems, and a Win2003 server.

What Replay system best suits my needs?
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any RTV-5xxx.

RTV-5k's, like the 5040, 5060, 5080, 5120, 5160, natively have commercial advance (automatically skips commericals on playback) and IVS (ability to transfer/recieve shows from other RTV's across the internet).

RTV-55xx's, like the 5504, 5508, 5512, 5516, are actually identical to the RTV-5k's, but due to software, they lack the commercial advance and IVS. Now, with the use of a program called WiRNs (runs on your PC), you can trick the RTV-55xx into thinking it's a 5k, and you gain all the CA & IVS.

Record at medium quality and you'll get an MPEG that is perfect for DVD (High Quality doesn't add much, but it does go over the maximum bitrates of what DVD players can handle so you'll have to transcode the file before burning)

Use DVArchive to move the shows off to your PC.

There are a number of different programs for editing the shows after you have moved them off: Womble Video Wizard, MPEG-VCR, Video Redo, evtEdit to name a few.
fnbrowning
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rm -rf Wow! All the way from Switzerland. . . the Replay must really get around.

Next question for the group.

I am concerned about the IR Blaster.
I have the simple Motorola DCT700/US cable box on Charter.

I've done some reading, and it appears that for the IR control to work properly, some have suggested taping the IR to the cable box?

However, I want to be able to order On-Demand shows and read/delete customer messages on the cable box. Can both the Replay IR control and the standard Charter remote co-exist?

Thanks
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Uberglitch, Switzerland" is a Theodore Giesel joke.

The IR blaster "peanut" is transparent, use clear packing tape to hold the IR "peanut" in place and your on-demand remote will shoot right through it. Plus, the IR windows are usually larger than the peanut.

Coil up the second peanut, wrap it in aluminum foil and tuck it under the back of the RTV or something so that it's transmits can't be seen by the cable box (to avoid the box recieving part of the repeated chanel change command )
fnbrowning
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next question for the group.

I'm aware this next one is a hard subjective question. But opinions are appreciated.

What is a 'decent' price for a 5xxx Replay?

Is a "lifetime subscription" worth what the bidders run the auction up to?

If I'm very comfortable swapping and "ghosting" hard drives in computer equipment, and flashing the O/S in routers and switches, would a non-upgraded Replay be a better deal for me?

Any items or suggestions to key on in auctions to get the best system?

Anywhere else I should be looking for a great Replay buy?
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, the standard price for a new replay was as follows:

$149 for a 5504 & $300 for a 5508. Lifetime activation was & still is $300.00 & that is for the lifetime of the unit itself. For the times that I have watched ebay for bidding on a rtv 5xxx, it seems that the units that don't have activation were anywhere around $50 to $150 & the ones that were activated were anywhere around $300 - $500 by the time bidding was done. The higher amounts tended to go toward the 50xx or 51xx than towards the 55xx units.
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading the drive is easy. Check out l8er's website at www.replaytvpugrade.com for all the directions, software and OS images needed to make it happen.

I would say that a unit with a lifetime is a better choice as monthly connection fees are $12.95 for a single unit. So after one year you're at $155.40 plus the cost of the unit. After two years, you've surpassed the $300 lifetime subscription cost. If you sell the unit somewhere in that interum, you'll never get back the monthly fees you paid, but if it's a lifetimed unit, you will most likely recover all or at least most of the $300.

Besides fleabay, you can also try the "for sale" forum here.
fnbrowning
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won an auction for a ReplyTV 5040 w/ Lifetime Activation
Yea! I'm excited about my purchase, and glad I found this community.

Thank you for the link to replaytvupgrade.com. A wealth of information there, and I've read some of it.

Two questions left, and then I think I can swim on my own.

(1) I know activation is tied to the motherboard. But do I need to go to ReplayTV's site and change the account info as the new owner of this lifetime activation?

(2) I understand about drive re-imaging using the utilities on replaytvupgrade. However, has anyone tried just "Ghosting" an old drive to new, using Symantec's or any other hard drive snapshot backup/restore utility?

I have Acronis Backup, and it takes a complete image of a hdd, using a boot CD, and it works famously for cloning to another drive, or a larger drive.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fnbrowning wrote:
I won an auction for a ReplyTV 5040 w/ Lifetime Activation
Yea! I'm excited about my purchase, and glad I found this community.

Thank you for the link to replaytvupgrade.com. A wealth of information there, and I've read some of it.

Two questions left, and then I think I can swim on my own.

(1) I know activation is tied to the motherboard. But do I need to go to ReplayTV's site and change the account info as the new owner of this lifetime activation?

(2) I understand about drive re-imaging using the utilities on replaytvupgrade. However, has anyone tried just "Ghosting" an old drive to new, using Symantec's or any other hard drive snapshot backup/restore utility?

I have Acronis Backup, and it takes a complete image of a hdd, using a boot CD, and it works famously for cloning to another drive, or a larger drive.

1. It's up to you. I updated the account information on a Replay I got off eBay just because I thought it would be nice to have it show up that way. I also thought it might help if I had to call customer support. It does show you when DNNA "thinks" you've performed your last connection, so that is somewhat useful...

2. You could probably use Ghost or some such drive imaging technique if you wanted to copy to exactly the same size hard drive. As with most operating systems, the file system has to be known in order to change the hard drive size, which it is unlikely that you will find a hard drive copy program that "knows" about the Replay operating system. Using RTVPatch will allow copying your hard drive to another different size hard drive if you want to copy your shows and pictures as well. Otherwise, there really isn't any point. You can just download the same information that is already contained on the Replay hard drive and put it on any size replacement hard drive. The only time copying comes into play is if you have a fully functional, booting hard drive and you want to move to a larger capacity hard drive. In that case, RTVPatch can copy the entire old hard drive to a new larger capacity hard drive and keep everything intact. I'm not aware of any other way to perform a hard drive upgrade and keep all your shows...

Henry
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers in order:
(1): up to you. Not critical unless you decide to get a second unit which is on a monthly subscription, at which point, because you have another qualified RTV, you can get the second one for $6.95/month rather than $12.95/month.

(2): If you truly understood, you wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel.
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMMIT!

That's twice this moring Henry!

LOL!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm -rf *.* wrote:
DAMMIT!

That's twice this moring Henry!

LOL!

Ya gotta be fast around here!

Henry
fnbrowning
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm -rf *.* wrote:
Answers in order:

Is there just one wheel?

I'll let you know how it goes.
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fnbrowning wrote:
rm -rf *.* wrote:
Answers in order:

Is there just one wheel?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Acronis might work, I've been using it for PC based systems running various OS's for years - never had a problem.

I've seen reports of people using Ghost in years past, like 2000-2002, before RTVPatch was widely known - but these reports have never been substantiated.

As Henry said, the real problem isn't when you have a working drive, it's when you have a corrupted OS or dead drive. If you don't have a disk that you can clone from, you might be SOL.

There is something about the replayTV filesystem that, in the past, has created problems with these types of programs. I don't remember the specifics anymore though.

It's not like you're going to hurt anything by trying, so have at it, they are your machines afterall, knock yourself out. Worst case, you can always zero the first few hundred blocks on the drive and load RTVPatch and an image to fix them. All you have to loose is a few hours of your time.
jleavens
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - I've got a software mirror (including images) at:

http://www.planetreplay.com/software
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jleavens wrote:

Sorry to hijack, but would you have any idea where to get the GUI for extract_rtv (the old one, not RTVExplorer)? I need it for compatiblity testing with extract_rtv5...

Thanks,
Henry
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
jleavens wrote:

Sorry to hijack, but would you have any idea where to get the GUI for extract_rtv (the old one, not RTVExplorer)? I need it for compatiblity testing with extract_rtv5...

Thanks,
Henry

I've got it a copy of it somewhere, I think.

Do you have an FTP server I can upload to? PM me the details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: