Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

primary DNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
garlandy
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: primary DNS Reply with quote

How do i get my primary and secondary dns numbers? i'm trying to set up a router and when i'm doing the installation it asks for the dns primary and secondary. I went to network connections and went to the dns settings and its blocked out unless u click use new dns settings and then u can type ur own. What the hell do i do i'm getting real frustrated.

Last edited by garlandy on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
arvysreyem
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Start menu (in Windows), then type "cmd" into the Run function. After the black command line window opens, type in "ipconfig /all". Somewhere in the result should be your DNS server addresses.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are typically two sides to your router...

The internet side DNS is provided by your ISP. Normally it is set automatically via DHCP (Cable modem) or PPPOE (DSL). If your internet has a static IP address your ISP should have provided you with it (along with other info you'll need)

The local side DNS is normally provided by the DHCP features of your router. For some routers it provides it's own IP address for others it passes on the IP addresses for the internet side DNS.

In most cases, the router setup is pretty much automatic. The default works. You may be over thinking this.

Robert
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Automatically Entering More Than 3 DNS Addresses into a PC Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
...The local side DNS is normally provided by the DHCP features of your router. For some routers it provides it's own IP address for others it passes on the IP addresses for the internet side DNS...

All of the devices on my LAN have static IP address. The PCs are done manually and everything else is 'MAC-to-IP' mapped in the router. Each PC has six DNS addresses:
  1. FiOS #1
  2. OpenDNS #1
  3. Verizon Backbone
  4. FiOS #2
  5. OpenDNS #2
  6. Router
In DD-WRT there are only three boxes for DNS entries. Is there another way to AUTOMATICALLY enter #4-6 onto the PCs or is manual the only way?

Thanks!
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatically Entering More Than 3 DNS Addresses into a Reply with quote

^BUMP^
TakeTheActive wrote:
...In DD-WRT there are only three boxes for DNS entries. Is there another way to AUTOMATICALLY enter #4-6 onto the PCs or is manual the only way?

No workaround?

i.e.
  • MAC-to-IP via Router: Limit 3
  • STATIC IP via PC: Limit ? (at least 6 that I'm using now)
Henry,

Isn't this your field of expertise?

Thanks!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatically Entering More Than 3 DNS Addresses into a Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
Henry,

Isn't this your field of expertise?

Yep, it is! But, I have no idea what you are talking about...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: