Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdgarS777
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

1. Do I have version 3? I let version 2 update, and then checked again and no further updates occurred, but self identifies as

WiRNS Version: 2.1.4206.36594
WiRNSMon Version: 2.1.3954.39387
NetVers ion: 2.0.50727.3623

Do I have the latest version, or should I download again and re-install? The current version is updating my guide, but there are other problems/questions.

2. What time, each day, is new guide data supposed to become available? The old DNNA service provided new data about 6pm Pacific time every day except Sunday. Wirns with SchedulesDirect seems to provide new data after 10pm or even after 1am the next day. Not a big problem, but I wonder if I have some Wirns parameter set incorrectly.

3. Will Wirns/SD update two ReplayTV's at once? I have two, and DNNA had no problem when I did a manual netconnect of both units at about the same time. I get the sense that Wirns will not support that and I have to update them one at a time. Anyone know one way or the other?

4. Some of the features of Wirns don't work for me. There seems to be a facility to display guide data on the Wirns PC, but this doesn't work, and no guide data is ever displayed. It does display Replay Guide (recorded shows). Does this work for anybody? Anything I could try to fix it?

5. Remote control. This cool feature works on Replay A and will display screen shots. But no screen shots for Replay B, although I might be able to use the remote "blind." This a known problem? Anything I could to to fix it?
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

EdgarS777 wrote:
1. Do I have version 3? I let version 2 update, and then checked again and no further updates occurred, but self identifies as

Do I have the latest version, or should I download again and re-install?
You have the old version, go to wirns.com and download the current version (3.0). You can not use the "update" feature of WiRNS to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0. You CAN however install the new 3.0 version on top of the existing 2.1 version and it will retain all the settings.
EdgarS777 wrote:

The current version is updating my guide, but there are other problems/questions.

2. What time, each day, is new guide data supposed to become available? The old DNNA service provided new data about 6pm Pacific time every day except Sunday. Wirns with SchedulesDirect seems to provide new data after 10pm or even after 1am the next day. Not a big problem, but I wonder if I have some Wirns parameter set incorrectly.
I don't know the answer to this, Robert from SD will hopefully be around to answer this for you (and me too! ).
EdgarS777 wrote:

3. Will Wirns/SD update two ReplayTV's at once? I have two, and DNNA had no problem when I did a manual netconnect of both units at about the same time. I get the sense that Wirns will not support that and I have to update them one at a time. Anyone know one way or the other?
I know that when WiRNS schedules the updates, it staggers them, but I assume it could handle more than one Replay connecting at once.
EdgarS777 wrote:

4. Some of the features of Wirns don't work for me. There seems to be a facility to display guide data on the Wirns PC, but this doesn't work, and no guide data is ever displayed. It does display Replay Guide (recorded shows). Does this work for anybody? Anything I could try to fix it?
Go in to configure->Replays and click on the "Edit" button for each Replay. Next to "Lineup 1" select the lineup that that Replay uses. If you have multiple lineups on a single Replay, then you can also fill in "Lineup 2" and "lineup 3".
EdgarS777 wrote:

5. Remote control. This cool feature works on Replay A and will display screen shots. But no screen shots for Replay B, although I might be able to use the remote "blind." This a known problem? Anything I could to to fix it?
Screen shots only work on Replays that have a photo partition. If the Replay was configured without a Photo partition, then you will be unable to get snapshots (and there will be no link).
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: WiRNS: Single-Threading? Is It Done Yet?? How Can I Tell??? Reply with quote

Space wrote:
EdgarS777 wrote:
I know that when WiRNS schedules the updates, it staggers them, but I assume it could handle more than one Replay connecting at once...

From previous experiments (a few years ago) with both WiRNS 1.3.x and 2.x (always running in 'Command Prompt / App Mode' and watching what was happening), I had the impression that WiRNS was a 'Single-Thread' application. For example, if you told it to 'Rebuild the ToDo List', you couldn't then tell it to do anything else until it finished. That confused me quite a bit in the beginning. I haven't updated my version yet, but, I would have liked to see some kind of 'BUSY Indicator' somewhere. Since we're interfacing through a browser (compared to DVArchive's Java Screen), that's not possible - unless you keep pressing REFRESH. But, maybe the GREEN ICON in the Sys Tray could SPIN or BLINK or do 'something' when WiRNS is BUSY, just to politely let you know NOT to attempt to do anything else until it's done. <thinking>
EdgarS777
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Some of the issues have been resolved, but there are some more.

Space wrote:
EdgarS777 wrote:

Do I have the latest version, or should I download again and re-install?
You have the old version, go to wirns.com and download the current version (3.0). You can not use the "update" feature of WiRNS to upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0. You CAN however install the new 3.0 version on top of the existing 2.1 version and it will retain all the settings.

Thanks. I did as you suggested, and it now self-identifies as version 3.0.4223.--- except .net version is still 2.0.52707.---

But the next time I netconnected, the DNNA supplied COAX input configuration disappeared and there were two Wirns configs. The new one added "San Jose." It apparently had no channels, because the ReplayTV came up with a lot of error messages saying all my Replay channels for upcoming recordings had no available channels. I switched back to the one without "San Jose" and that problem went away.

But I still have a problem that ONE of the ReplayTVs(A) shows the guide with the current time incorrect by one hour. If the real time is say 10am, the current channel guide shows 11am. The shows are also displaced one hour so the recording would take place at the correct time. There seems to be only one time zone setting in the Wirns configuration and I have it set to "Pacific" rather than "Pacific no DST." The Time Zone String is set to PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0; I have no idea how to interpret that. I also note that "setting the clock" takes a long time after initiating a netconnect from the ReplayTV, even though I've shut off other applications that load up the internet.

Space wrote:
EdgarS777 wrote:
Go in to configure->Replays and click on the "Edit" button for each Replay. Next to "Lineup 1" select the lineup that that Replay uses. If you have multiple lineups on a single Replay, then you can also fill in "Lineup 2" and "lineup 3".

Thanks. that seems to work now, at least some of the time.

Space wrote:
EdgarS777 wrote:

Screen shots only work on Replays that have a photo partition. If the Replay was configured without a Photo partition, then you will be unable to get snapshots (and there will be no link).

Thanks. That's exactly right. My ReplayB was purchased already modified for more storage, and there is no space for photos. That brings up the question, is there any way to add some photo space?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be mistaken but I think you can only change that when you reimage/patch the disk. AFAIK there's no other way to change it.
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brobin111 wrote:
I may be mistaken but I think you can only change that when you reimage/patch the disk. AFAIK there's no other way to change it.

You don't have to reimage, just patch (if still seems to require connecting to a PC). IIRC, increasing the size of the photo partition (like 0 to 1GB) will erase all your recorded shows.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

EdgarS777 wrote:

But I still have a problem that ONE of the ReplayTVs(A) shows the guide with the current time incorrect by one hour. If the real time is say 10am, the current channel guide shows 11am. The shows are also displaced one hour so the recording would take place at the correct time. There seems to be only one time zone setting in the Wirns configuration and I have it set to "Pacific" rather than "Pacific no DST." The Time Zone String is set to PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0; I have no idea how to interpret that. I also note that "setting the clock" takes a long time after initiating a netconnect from the ReplayTV, even though I've shut off other applications that load up the internet.

Info in this post should solve your timezone issue: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=77155
EdgarS777 wrote:
That brings up the question, is there any way to add some photo space?
You can use "RTVPatch" but it will affect your recorded shows. Some of the space that is currently allocated to your recorded shows will need to be reallocated to the photo partition.
Here is a FAQ that contains info on the subject: http://rtvpatch.sourceforge.net/faq.html

You may or may not lose some recorded shows if you do this. It is probably best to copy all the shows of the HD to your PC (using extract_rtv5 (fastest, direct from the hard drive) or DVArchive or WiRNS (over the LAN)) before attempting to resize the photo partition just to be sure you won't lose any shows (that is if there are any shows you would care about losing).
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, for connecting the disk to a PC for patching/imaging I use an IDE to USB cable. It's a lot more convenient than opening the PC and even lets you do it with a laptop. They're pretty cheap too - I picked one up at MicroCenter on sale for 7 bucks and you can find them on ebay for about the same price. They include a power supply to power the disk.
EdgarS777
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

Space wrote:
EdgarS777 wrote:

Info in this post should solve your timezone issue: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=77155

Thanks! Changing the zip code on the ReplayTV by 1, and back again fixed the problem!

I also noticed I got a lot of unwanted (religious, Spanish) channels back, even though I had removed them from my schedulesdirect configuration. I removed them again with ReplayTV add/remove channels, and I hope they won't come back as long as I don't change the zip code again.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Version 3 post-July 31 questions Reply with quote

EdgarS777 wrote:
I also noticed I got a lot of unwanted (religious, Spanish) channels back, even though I had removed them from my schedulesdirect configuration. I removed them again with ReplayTV add/remove channels, and I hope they won't come back as long as I don't change the zip code again.

Remove then in your SD account and then they'll never come back...

Henry
EdgarS777
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: How do I get Guide display to work? Reply with quote

When I installed Wirns the first time, after a while I could display the Channel Guide on the Wirns PC. After a guide update from SD, the new shows would display there before they would on the Replays themselves. Recently I had to re-install Wirns after restoring a pre-Wirns backup. Now the Channel Guide display doesn't work. I don't remember what, if anything, I did to get it to work before. Anybody have any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: