Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modem instructions for using WiRNS and 3xxx/showstoppers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Todd sent me his information, and his debug.log had an exception in it that probably explains the problem. Can you please double check very carefully that you also don't have a PutXact exception? It would really save me a lot of trouble of trying to debug your setup if it turns out that you are also getting the same exception...

Henry

I haven't seen any entries in the debug log since before I took the WireShark grab (and I've probably had about 4-5 net connects since then). Is there a verbose setting I should set somewhere?

Also, I turned off NoPhoneNumbers (renamed the DLL this time), still have the regedit setting you suggested for shellcmds (although my Replay hasn't rebooted after a net connect for a while, either, which is what first happened), and also turned off NoReplayZones (through registry on the WiRNS PC). Would any of these make a difference?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,
I posted an update which should take care of the exception you are getting. Hopefully it will take care of both of y'all's problem. So, give it a try and see if it works better or not...

Thanks for the info from your unit! The exception was all I needed to see to figure it out...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amblinn wrote:
I haven't seen any entries in the debug log since before I took the WireShark grab (and I've probably had about 4-5 net connects since then). Is there a verbose setting I should set somewhere?

Actually, I just noticed that you had the same exception as Todd when you posted that yours was a "smidge different". Assuming that you were having the same problem, then the update I just posted should take care of yours as well. If it doesn't then we'll continue trying to debug your unit...

amblinn wrote:
Also, I turned off NoPhoneNumbers (renamed the DLL this time), still have the regedit setting you suggested for shellcmds (although my Replay hasn't rebooted after a net connect for a while, either, which is what first happened), and also turned off NoReplayZones (through registry on the WiRNS PC). Would any of these make a difference?

No, none of that would make any difference. The exception comes from XactProvider, which you still have enabled (I'm assuming). Maybe you need to look in the WiRNS folder to see if it has been archiving debug.log files from each of your previous net connects...

Please don't forget that I asked you to try the latest NoPhoneNumbers with (123) 555-0100 in your WiRNS registry to see if it works any better now...

Henry
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Maybe you need to look in the WiRNS folder to see if it has been archiving debug.log files from each of your previous net connects...

Ahhh! There they are! Interesting, since I was watching the debug.log tab like a hawk, and they never appeared. The one from the WireShark I sent you was triggered at 09:22:33 this morning.

hdonzis wrote:

Please don't forget that I asked you to try the latest NoPhoneNumbers with (123) 555-0100 in your WiRNS registry to see if it works any better now...
Henry

I tried it 4-5 times with my (510) 555-1212 number, and once with the (123) 555-0100, and none of it changed the list of local numbers that appears. I'll try it again when I try the XactProvider fix you've provided. It'll probably be tomorrow morning, since I'm in the middle of another marathon dial-up session (trying to see if, now that the other stuff is stable, I can get >7 days guide data loaded into the SS).

Thanks for your support!
thester
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel Guide, Replay Guide, and Recording Schedule appear to be working now, but nothing on the ToDo list. Way to go Henry.
Thanks,
Todd
thester
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now the ToDo page is working. I ran the "Rebuild ToDo" function under the Administration page and it now is working. Henry you're awsome.
Thanks,
Todd
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thester wrote:
And now the ToDo page is working. I ran the "Rebuild ToDo" function under the Administration page and it now is working.

ChannelGuide also won't indicate shows to record until the ToDo is built. The ReplayGuide and RecordingSchedules come directly from the Net Connect. The ToDo rebuilds automatically every 4 hours (default). WiRNS can't show what's going to record until it has the Net Connect data and then computes recordings based on the guide information, so it doesn't have it right after the Net Connect, it takes until the next ToDo refresh...

Thanks again for the exception log! That was all I needed to track it down. I feel bad that I didn't even notice it in amblinn's post because I saw the DB busy and didn't really pay much attention after that...

Henry
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thester wrote:
Henry you're awsome.
Thanks,
Todd

I second this .

The new XactProvider is working like a charm for me.

In ChannelGuide, the "Recording Channels" pull-down isn't showing anything on the Channel Guide, but EVERYTHING else is working, so I'm a happy camper. (Actually, I haven't tested setting up a recording through WiRNS and getting it down to the Replay, but again, lower priority).
thester
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amblinn,
I think the "recording channels" filter only works when you are looking at a time slot that has something scheduled to record, or at least that is how mine is working. Henry may be able to clarify.
Todd
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's correct, recording channels shows channels that are in the view and are scheduled to record. Of course, you have to have an up to date ToDo in order for that to happen in the first place, so as I indicated above, you don't get those features until the ToDo has been built, either automatically or manually...

Henry
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Yep, that's correct, recording channels shows channels that are in the view and are scheduled to record. Of course, you have to have an up to date ToDo in order for that to happen in the first place, so as I indicated above, you don't get those features until the ToDo has been built, either automatically or manually...

Henry

Ah, OK! Makes perfect sense. I'd been assuming "Recording Channels" were the ones that had been left active in the Replay interface (for instance, I have 64 channels downloading, but I've "removed" about 30 of them using the Replay setup menu).
PapaSmurf14612
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: HS1000 Reply with quote

hdonzis

Well - I looked at all this, and to put things in perspective, let me say taht I thought I was pretty geeky. No one I know is aware of the Panasonic's ("Pany's?") capabilities around me - even my mate refuses to learn how to use it! She finds any button sequence longer than 3 to be pretty much too much effort to learn. I wear out the quick skip button on the remotes in about one year and have to use a R7 universal remote to run the system.

But going by the wiki page on FreeSCO setup, which doesn't even mention my unit - the HS1000 - IO am outclassed. I have done hyperterminal to control instruments and robotic machines with PC's - I understand how that works fine. But the extensive layering here seems to be requiring on the order of at a minimum several days worth of effort in detup and after that an hour or more per day downloading. I am retired, but that is not going to work in my lifestyle.

It pains me, but it looks like I will be going over to cable TV and the Cisco Box - at least it isn't Scientific Atlantica - but I did discover there is a hack for a 30 second skip on the SA box - I can try that out on my honey's mom's installation!

Thank you for your tips - I appreciate them. You must spend a fair amount of time moderating this thread.

regards;
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: HS1000 Reply with quote

PapaSmurf14612 wrote:
hdonzis

Well - I looked at all this, and to put things in perspective, let me say taht I thought I was pretty geeky. No one I know is aware of the Panasonic's ("Pany's?") capabilities around me - even my mate refuses to learn how to use it! She finds any button sequence longer than 3 to be pretty much too much effort to learn. I wear out the quick skip button on the remotes in about one year and have to use a R7 universal remote to run the system.

But going by the wiki page on FreeSCO setup, which doesn't even mention my unit - the HS1000 - IO am outclassed. I have done hyperterminal to control instruments and robotic machines with PC's - I understand how that works fine. But the extensive layering here seems to be requiring on the order of at a minimum several days worth of effort in detup and after that an hour or more per day downloading. I am retired, but that is not going to work in my lifestyle.

It pains me, but it looks like I will be going over to cable TV and the Cisco Box - at least it isn't Scientific Atlantica - but I did discover there is a hack for a 30 second skip on the SA box - I can try that out on my honey's mom's installation!

Thank you for your tips - I appreciate them. You must spend a fair amount of time moderating this thread.

There are lots of ReplayTV model numbers, from AT&T models, Panasonic models, ReplayTV models, etc. However, you will find that WiRNS has the PVHS-1000 model number selection even if the WIKI doesn't list it. That WIKI is for ALL dial-up units, including yours...

As far as how long it takes to download guide data, those numbers are from people having problems. Mine only takes 3 minutes to download, and there's no reason that it shouldn't be able to run as fast as it currently does for you. But, the setup I can't say. It certainly didn't take me days to setup FreeSCO and such. Robert Eden has setup a VM image that makes it all extremely easy and just take a few minutes. I actually built my own FreeSCO system, as I documented in this thread, so it took me some part of a day, but I don't think it took more than several hours...

Henry
PapaSmurf14612
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: HS1000 Reply with quote

Henry;

sorry about the ID foul up. unintentional.

I have gone ahead with the transfer from Echostar to Cable - BUT will keep at it with the Replayer - I will do the change in the channel lineup in advance of the end of replay service - it is to be installed this Friday and we will be out of town from Monday through the end of the month. I will unplug the telephone line so the system cannot be undermined by the dialup process in the meantime. I believe that would be prudent unless an announcement to the contrary comes through.

Until I can figure the hyperterminal - FreeSCO - Winrs process out - and if it doesn't cost too much $$ per month, I will have a crack at it.

I really really really appreciate what you guys do in terms of blazing a trail for the rest of us.

One thing - I demonstrated the system and its capabilities to the Cable TV sales rep - he had never heard of it and just couldn't figure out why it didn't make it in the market. They still do not have keyword searching for recording future shows on any channel - he had never heard of that feature even. And the unlimited quick skip amazed him also. I won't be giving that up if I don't have to, HD or not.

thanks again

Ray
5mi11er
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Showstopper 2000 not getting guide data past 7/31 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks to the excellent software and instructions surrounding the impending cut off date I've gotten the WiRNS and FreeSCO servers configured and running over the past week and a half or so.

Last night, I connected my Showstopper 2000 to this setup, and it pulled down the guide data successfully. However, it is only pulling down guide data up to 6pm on July 31st. I've searched and found a few mentions of needing to fix registry settings to get the units to download data past the "cut off" time.

Can someone point to a good reference of all the settings that need to be "fixed" to remove the nag screen, allow the unit to download guide info past 7/31, etc? Or will this stuff get put into WiRNS for us?

Thank you,
-Scott
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using WiRNS 2 and ZIP code data, then that's the cut off of them providing EPG. If you switch to using Schedules Direct for your guide data, then you'll be able to get guide data past 7/31...

Henry
5mi11er
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually just using the MSN XML scrapper for now, and I've got guide data several days into August on the WiRNS server, but the ShowStopper isn't requesting data past 7/31.
PapaSmurf14612
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: channel lineup - sat vs cable Reply with quote

do I need to change the provider BEFORE they end the service on 7/31?

Or stated another way - I do not have the WiRNS or FreeSCO servers setup yet. I have some computer issues I need to resolve first.

Then I am getting rid of satellite and going back to cable as soon as I can get them here to do the install. That will be after the first of August no doubt.

So - I know I have to disconnect the telephone from the Showstopper prior to 7/31/2011. But - before I do that, should I change the lineup over to cable?

Sorry I am such an idiot - but I can only play the cards I have at the moment.

Thankfully - for the support of this discussion group;

Ray AKA Papa Smurf
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5mi11er wrote:
I'm actually just using the MSN XML scrapper for now, and I've got guide data several days into August on the WiRNS server, but the ShowStopper isn't requesting data past 7/31.
Showstoppers only request 9 days of data max., so as of today it will only be requesting up until 7/31.

Tonight (after 8pm on east coast) if you do a net-connect you should get one more day (August 1st) and that should be it, no more days after that...

Note that you will only get August 1st data up to midnight UTC, so on the east coast it will end at 8pm on 8/1.
5mi11er
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok, I was thinking/hoping that since I'd done it last night, and only got that far, that I'd get another days worth of data when I tried it around noon today.

I'll give it another day or so to watch for August data on the ShowStopper.

Thanks!

-Scott
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5mi11er wrote:
Ah, ok, I was thinking/hoping that since I'd done it last night, and only got that far, that I'd get another days worth of data when I tried it around noon today.

Thanks!

-Scott
I just noticed that you are using the MSN scraper, so my statement about no more data after 8/1 is not accurate for your case. It is accurate if you are still getting listings from DNNA.
hudsonsmom
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Showstopper (PV-HS2000) that I love.

I've been procrastinating, and decided this weekend was the time to deal with the whole "programming guide going away" thing.

Connected ReplayTV using PuTTY to...
1) Internal laptop modem (with ATA) --> no screeches
2) Bought the only external modem I could find (Zoom) with a USB port for my laptop --> screeches, but eventually NO CARRIER
3) Couldn't find chat-cord anywhere, so bought magicJack, and set it up with internal laptop modem --> screeches, but never gets past "Dialing..." - and eventually NO CARRIER
4) Tried magicJack with new Zoom USB modem --> screeches, get CONNECT 28800 (for 1-2 seconds), then modem disconnects with NO CARRIER
5) Forced ReplayTV to 28.8 (instead of Default speed), with USB Zoom modem and magicJack --> screeches, but eventually NO CARRIER
6) With ReplayTV still at 28.8, magicJack, and internal modem --> screeches forever, and eventually ReplayTV disconnects

Help! Do I sound desperate??

I can order a US Robotics external USB modem, but I won't get it until 7/27 - that's cutting it VERY close. Will it resolve my connection issue?

I don't know what else to try, and am looking for an expert/experienced opinion...

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Pennee
sillyname99
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wireless phone jack adapter around. I'm going to try that with my laptop today and see if that works. I'll report back. If it works, you may be able to find one of those at a brick and mortar store.
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, well, some simple questions and comments:

1) since you are using putty, I'm guessing you're on Windows 7?

2) I've been wrong before, but I currently believe that external modems don't need an extra power line source as they have plenty of power. It makes sense that laptop internal modems would do anything to save power, including sucking on the telephone line current. So I'd suggest focusing on your second config (external zoom modem ).

3) So I'm guessing you putty to the modem, issue AT commands, get back OK. I'm guessing you've set your showstopper to skip waiting for dialtone. At that screen. Try setting the speed to 9600 to maximize modem compatibility.

4) Next you're doing a 243 zones netconnect. Takes about 15 seconds to actually dial, and you issue an ATA on answering the modem. You hear the zoom do the answertone, then hear the modems handshake, see a connect message both on the showstopper, and in the putty window.

And then....

So try the showstopper at 9600 Also hopefully you have a command reference for the zoom and can issue a modem command to limit it to 9600 connects.

If this still fails, I could be (yet again) wrong and the external modem could need telco line power, so put the magic jack back into play.

You should hear more than just an answer screech, you should hear the replaytv originating modem respond into a handshake sequence.

I have to revisit my windows 7 external modem config later this week. I didn't have luck with windows 7 and a serial usb adapter so I ordered a com port header for the motherboard. But the external modem would be a better environment for you than the internal modem (performance issues when you start dealing with Freesco on vmware).

If not helpful, maybe I gave you more to think about?

hudsonsmom wrote:
We have a Showstopper (PV-HS2000) that I love.

I've been procrastinating, and decided this weekend was the time to deal with the whole "programming guide going away" thing.

Connected ReplayTV using PuTTY to...
1) Internal laptop modem (with ATA) --> no screeches
2) Bought the only external modem I could find (Zoom) with a USB port for my laptop --> screeches, but eventually NO CARRIER
3) Couldn't find chat-cord anywhere, so bought magicJack, and set it up with internal laptop modem --> screeches, but never gets past "Dialing..." - and eventually NO CARRIER
4) Tried magicJack with new Zoom USB modem --> screeches, get CONNECT 28800 (for 1-2 seconds), then modem disconnects with NO CARRIER
5) Forced ReplayTV to 28.8 (instead of Default speed), with USB Zoom modem and magicJack --> screeches, but eventually NO CARRIER
6) With ReplayTV still at 28.8, magicJack, and internal modem --> screeches forever, and eventually ReplayTV disconnects

Help! Do I sound desperate??

I can order a US Robotics external USB modem, but I won't get it until 7/27 - that's cutting it VERY close. Will it resolve my connection issue?

I don't know what else to try, and am looking for an expert/experienced opinion...

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Pennee

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudsonsmom wrote:

And, I have to wonder where your going to go from here to get your SS net connecting? If you're going to do something through Windows, then you'll probably be OK. But, if you're planning on using FREESCO directly, I don't think it will work with a USB modem, it wants something that looks like a serial port...

Henry
hudsonsmom
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Successful!

I'm detailing my steps in the hope that it will help someone else.

1) Unfortunately, using Vista - although I imagine there's an upgrade to Windows7 in my laptops future.

2) Couldn't figure out the modems AT commands (for baud rate), so I set ReplayTV & PuTTY speed to 9600 (for all previous configurations), and waited 10-15 seconds for ATA - no luck.

3) Switched ReplayTV back to Default (Max Connect Speed), and worked through options with PuTTY set to 28800.

Tried waiting on ReplayTV "Dialing..." 5-6 seconds with:
- internal modem (failed)
- internal modem and magicJack (failed)
- USB Zoom modem only (failed)
- USB Zoom modem & magicJack (SUCCESSFUL!)

Replay went to "Connecting..." and my PuTTY session is giving me gobbldy-gook. Woo hoo!

~~}#!}!} }.}"}&} } } } }'}"}(}"~

Hopefully the FreeSCO setup will go smoother.

THANK YOU, for all your suggestions - and the calm voice of reason.

jonwz wrote:
Wow, well, some simple questions and comments:

1) since you are using putty, I'm guessing you're on Windows 7?

2) I've been wrong before, but I currently believe that external modems don't need an extra power line source as they have plenty of power. It makes sense that laptop internal modems would do anything to save power, including sucking on the telephone line current. So I'd suggest focusing on your second config (external zoom modem ).

3) So I'm guessing you putty to the modem, issue AT commands, get back OK. I'm guessing you've set your showstopper to skip waiting for dialtone. At that screen. Try setting the speed to 9600 to maximize modem compatibility.

4) Next you're doing a 243 zones netconnect. Takes about 15 seconds to actually dial, and you issue an ATA on answering the modem. You hear the zoom do the answertone, then hear the modems handshake, see a connect message both on the showstopper, and in the putty window.

And then....

So try the showstopper at 9600 Also hopefully you have a command reference for the zoom and can issue a modem command to limit it to 9600 connects.

If this still fails, I could be (yet again) wrong and the external modem could need telco line power, so put the magic jack back into play.

You should hear more than just an answer screech, you should hear the replaytv originating modem respond into a handshake sequence.

I have to revisit my windows 7 external modem config later this week. I didn't have luck with windows 7 and a serial usb adapter so I ordered a com port header for the motherboard. But the external modem would be a better environment for you than the internal modem (performance issues when you start dealing with Freesco on vmware).

If not helpful, maybe I gave you more to think about?

jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good gobbidy-gook. From my recollection, that what the initial PPP packet looks like on a terminal screen.

And yet again, I'm surprised to see another modem that doesn't power the phone line - live and learn....

good luck!

hudsonsmom wrote:
Successful!

~~}#!}!} }.}"}&} } } } }'}"}(}"~

Susan G
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hudsonsmom-

Congratulations! I'll be watching your progress with great interest, since I have the same Showstopper. I'm currently using a MagicJack with an internal laptop modem, and I can dial in from the SS, but I'm having problems with FREESCO in VMWare player. I was able to connect and get all my Channel Guide data just once, and it was very slow. It might well be my modem, so if you can get your external working that will help narrow it down.

See also:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1349590
and
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345649

Good luck!

-Susan
sillyname99
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out my laptop is ancient and has a lucent modem that is powered. Where I ran into problems is that there isn't enough ram to do the vmware solution.

I created the floppy, and am trying to do the setup. Is there anyone out there with setup experience I can ask questions to?
5mi11er
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd say I did indeed get info for 8/1 during last night's connection.

I configured my 5040 to connect to the system this afternoon, (yes, I did the dial-up version first) and that went swimmingly.

Thanks again for all the work, instructions, help and patience in assisting everyone!

-Scott

5mi11er wrote:

Thanks!

-Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: