Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modem instructions for using WiRNS and 3xxx/showstoppers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delver wrote:
Sorry, I was using a bit of shorthand. The getheadend requests do have headend=CAxxxxx&country=US after the question mark.

That still doesn't make sense. Since you have a WiRNS: lineup selected, that's what it should be requesting. By the way, there's nothing secretive about the headend ID for your provider. Blanking out some of your data is making it so I can't try things for myself...

delver wrote:
Regarding the SetupGlobal transaction, I should have looked closer. It starts out looking similar but then takes a weird turn:

Showstopper to WiRNS: GET getzipcode2.pl...
WiRNS to RNS: GET / HTTP/1.0
RNS: 401 authorization required
WiRNS to RNS: GET getzipcode2.pl
--then instantly (14 milliseconds later), without waiting for a reply from RNS (and I never see it come in later):
WiRNS to ShowStopper: <WiRNS lineups ONLY>
--then Showstopper queries WiRNS for the four WiRNS headends and logs out successfully.

Did you check the WireShark closely for the entire session? I would think that there has to be a reset or a close the 14 milliseconds later. Especially if you never saw a reply...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, after you update WiRNS you will need to rename the ShowStopper control files by creating a directory folder named the ShowStopper's serial number and then if you want a "skip" file you need to create a file in that directory folder named "rtv.skp", and if you want a "serve guide data" file you need to create a file in that directory folder named "rtv.srv"...

I also fixed the channel guide provider to work better with a "skip" file such that it returns no guide data to the SS rather than the error response which was not an appropriate response for guide data...

Henry

P.S. Please be sure and let me know when you are available for some more testing...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to let eveyone know that I was able to get a ReplayTV 3K and hooked it up with a phone line simulator and FreeSCO. I also am experiencing some connection errors and am trying to figure out what is going on. Obviously there are people able to use WiRNS with the FreeSCO setup, so I'm not sure what is going on...

I wanted to make a comment about setting up using FreeSCO. After a lot of time and experimentation I found that if you want to use FreeSCO without dial-in authentication (PAP), you have to stick with the version listed in the instructions, 0.3.2. Starting with the next version, dial-in authentication is required. I could not find any way to turn off dial-in authentication. The only way around this is to figure out the Replay's dial up password. FreeSCO does not help with this as it hides the dial-in password, so you'd have to use some kind of terminal to watch it...

I also noticed that j.m's mgetty script doesn't work correctly with the newer releases of FreeSCO. They apprently changed RINGS to RNGS in the system.cfg file, so you have to edit that in the mgetty script...

I had no problem adding newer Ethernet drivers into the 0.3.2 release to support my setup. If you are using a PCI Ethernet card, you have to be sure and add pci-scan as well...

Hopefully I will be able to figure out more about why this setup isn't working with WiRNS. Since it works fine with newer model ReplayTVs, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me what is going wrong...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delver wrote:
Since quite a few people are using the Freesco technique with their ShowStoppers, it would be nice to add 2xxx/3xxx/SS to the list of Replay types in WiRNS. Then it would know not to query those machines for fancy networked box features but could still handle the guide data requests correctly for them and give us the options of channel remapping, "no phone numbers," "no zones," etc.

OK, BIG announcement! Now that I have a 3K, I was able to add quite a few features to WiRNS to support pre-4K units, this feature included! The only thing useful that adding a pre-4K unit to the list of Replays provides is for controlling proxying that unit's guide data and to be able to setup lineups when only using pre-4K units and ZIP code data. As far as the other options listed above, those didn't have anything to do with having the unit registered with WiRNS or not...

In configuring a pre-4K unit, it's important to give each unit a unique name. Since these units don't have names, the name's not important, just that they be unique from any other unit. Just leave the other impertinent parameters blank, like the IP address...

I didn't find any problem with WiRNS serving the channel guide to the 3K. What I did find, however, was that the 3K seemed to be very finnicky about the communications over all, in particular that it really wants to use a persistant connection. So, I made a LOT of changes to pretty much all of the modules to make sure that they support persistant connections to the connecting unit...

In addition, I made improvements to the proxying that WiRNS provides by allowing modification checks to be passed through the proxy, allowing less data to be retrieved when the data has not changed. For example, loading the channel numbers for the unit's lineup. Previously this request was sent through without allowing for checking if the data had been modified, which resulted in the entire channel lineup being sent for every provider in the ZIP code. Even when you select a WiRNS: lineup for the unit, the unit still asks to update the channel lineups for all of the other unselected lineups as well. Now WiRNS passes through the check for modification and if the channel lineup hasn't changed, then the lineup data is no longer returned...

So, I posted an update which updates almost all of the components of WiRNS. I think it should make slight improvements for the 4K/5K units as well, but since they are Ethernet connected, they won't be as noticeable as the pre-4K units going through dial up...

Here's an example of what my WiRNS page looks like with an older unit configured:

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delver wrote:
Note that Freesco caches the DNS addresses once it knows them

I just noticed that you posted this and since I've tried it myself now, if you follow j.m's instructions, you will NOT have the DNS cache. It just so happens that since I was playing with FreeSCO on the side, I also configured it this way when I playing around with the idea of using a local HOSTS file instead and found this same situation of it caching. However, following j.m's instructions, you will not have DNS caching and you won't have this problem.

Since his instructions are for simply converting the dial-up interface to Ethernet, it doesn't cover proxying through WiRNS. What I did for that was basically to follow the same instructions as those for the RTV itself. I selected to edit the DNS server and I left it not running, but I changed the FreeSCO's DNS address to WiRNS just like I would do on the RTV. Oh, and you have to also configure the DHCP client not to use the DNS address from DHCP (if you are using the DHCP client, which I was). That took care of everything! And, I simply made two floppies, one with the DNS address left to my normal DNS server (my router in this case) and the other one with the DNS address set to WiRNS. That way I can simply pop in one floppy or the other depending on if I want WiRNS to proxy or not...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delver wrote:
I will probably reenable the "Serve Guide Data to Replays" option, since it is my goal to get modified lineups.

I just wanted to let you know that enabling "Server Guide Data to Replays" isn't necessary to get modified lineups. The modified lineups are still generated by WiRNS regarless of this setting. This setting is only if you want WiRNS to provide the physical guide data or let DNNA provide the physical guide data. When using DNNA for your WiRNS guide data, there's really no difference, this was more for when using some other guide data input, like SchedulesDirect or scraper. What you would see different is WiRNS logging "Proxying guide data" versus "Serving guide data". Since you really can't edit anything about the guide data itself, having WiRNS serve the guide data doesn't really make any difference in your case. In fact serving guide data will probably be a bit slower because WiRNS provides all the guide data requested whereas DNNA only provides the guide data which has changed (WiRNS doesn't keep track of what guide data has changed, so it simply serves it all)...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonwz wrote:
Thanks again for the quick reply. I see I made bad assumption. You said:
"WiRNS can provide the channel guide and such, but it depends on the connecting Replay be a network model (4xxx/5xxx) in order to obtain the recording schedule information and recorded show information."

I made the simplistic assumption that WiRNS could do what the my.replaytv.com pages used to do. There seemed to be two way communication between the replaytv's and my.replaytv.com in that locally scheduled recordings would show up on the website after the nightly dial connection.

I wonder why Ian is running the configuration he mentioned above - that is freesco and WiRNS?

In any event, thanks again for your time Henry!

Jon, I added for WiRNS to provide the my.replaytv.com support! I haven't fully integrated it all yet, I spent all weekend just getting WiRNS to provide the my.replaytv.com support (XactProvider). However, now that WiRNS supports adding older units, and the support I added this weekend now writes a guide snapshot file for the my.replaytv.com information, I should be able to add in the near future for WiRNS to show the ReplayGuide, ToDo, and allow scheduling shows on older units through the net connect.

The posted update changes most of the modules, so don't be surprised to see a whole lot of modules updating!

A BIG thank you to Ian for his RNS scripts, in particular putxact.pl, which helped me with decoding the my.replaytv.com information! Also, Ryan provided me some traces of the my.replaytv.com communications which helped a lot as well. And, a thank you to Jon for getting me interested in all this and providing the links to much of the information!

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an update which gives the MyReplayTV.com support for pre-4K units using WiRNS! You can also view the ToDo, ReplayGuide, ChannelGuide, ShowSearch, etc. of pre-4K units through WiRNS!

Currently you can only schedule new show recordings via WiRNS as that was the only support WiRNS has, so you cannot edit existing recordings through WiRNS for pre-4K units nor 4K units. If I can figure it all out I will try to add support to edit existing recordings, which should go for both pre-4K and 4K units alike.

But, it should be very nice to be able to view a MyReplayTV.com-like inteface of pre-4K units through WiRNS!

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added to save the pre-4K's capacity and remaing during the net connect so that it shows up in the ReplayGuide.

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who will care, but I've posted an update which adds support for editing theme recordings for both 4K and pre-4K units! Since MyReplayTV.com no longer exists, I am having to guess at how recording schedule editing works. Theme recordings are the simplest because they have very few parameters, so that one wasn't too hard to guess at how it works. Basically I have left to figure out how editing show recordings works, but that it going to take some experimenting since I have very little to go on...

I have to thank my Son because I was showing him all these new features and telling him that I was going to have to guess at how editing schedules work, and while I was talking to him I showed him how I can search through the Replay code for keywords and found the keywords for editing schedules, which was the first step to being able to add schedule editing! Obviously, without even knowing what the keywords are to tell the Replay to change schedules, it would have been pretty tough! I added the theme schedule edit syntax to the TWIKI documentation...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an update which adds to be able to schedule to delete shows on the next net connect via the ReplayGuide for pre-4K units.

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH! I posted an update which adds to be able to edit existing show recordings! It also adds to provide the MyReplayTV.com feature of being able to delete a recording schedule!

These feature are also available for 4K users! For pre-4K users, I removed the Disable button from theme recording editing because it caused the theme recording to be scheduled for 30 minutes, which did not disable it. I left the Disable button in theme recording editing for 4K users because I could not test to see if it works or not. If any 4K users could test if disabling a theme recording works or not, I would appreciate it!

Henry
potatoe
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know I'm a new forum poster here, but....
I've been reading these forums and other for over a year, I have a Panasonic Showstopper HS-PV2000, I've tried to get Freesco working from a floppy, it never complete with errors. I've tried multiple floppies and drives. I tried VMWare server, and got lost, VirtualBox, same. My question is, since I have to take my hard drive out weekly and put it in the computer, to pull the shows off with etract_rtv. Is there some way to mount the Replay drive as a network share in Windows, and have WiRNS see it. Or could WiRNS be modified to just see it as a drive and use it that way, just as extract_rtv5 does. It would be nice to be able to modify the Program Guides to OTA DTV(once a week is fine for me), channel remapping, ir blaster updates. I also have an idea for getting full control of a converter box (ie subchannels). When modifying the blaster codes, why not remap say 9 to the "-" symbol.(or any number the isn't used). That way the channel guide could send 1392("13-2") or 0892("08-2") to change to subchannel.(i know wrong forum)
thanks in advance,
frustrated
ps-Or maybe some could post an image to use in VMWare player or VirtualBox for freesco, or detailed instructions for setting it up. I willing and somewhat computer literate, but not at linux.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of questions!

There are several things I found about FreeSCO. First, that it has to have what looks like a real hardware floppy drive, second, that it has to have what looks like a real hardware Ethernet card, and third, that it has to have what looks like a real hardware modem (not a WinModem). If you install the very latest version and can get that running, then you will know when you have a proper hardware setup. However, you have to install version 0.3.2 to get it working with the ShowStopper. You may have to download some updated drivers for version 0.3.2, but that's why trying the latest version first will at least let you know when you have an appropriate setup...

Using FreeSCO will only help with your lineup situation. You can use WiRNS to allow you to configure your lineup channel numbers any way you want so as to be able to tune your converter box. Many converter boxes are happy when they get enough digits, so to tune to 13-2, for example, you just need to set that channel to 132 and configure the ShowStopper for 4 digits, which will make it output 0132 and tune the converter to 13-2...

There isn't any way that I know of to get the shows out of the ShowStopper through the dial-up connection. It just doesn't support any commands because there wasn't any point. Maybe you could find some kind of external hard drive that you could share between the ShowStopper and your PC in some way. It would obviously have to have an IDE connector to go inside the ShowStopper. The ShowStopper doesn't seem to be as picky about the IDE interface, so you might be able to setup something external so that you don't have to remove the drive all the time...

Just a note, I hope you know that extract_rtv5 can also get the show information to go along with your shows (using the -dx# option) if that helps you in anyway. That at least gives you a file per show that has the details of that show...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an update that adds to be able to preserve shows on pre-4K units from the ReplayGuide page. This performs a "Preserve this episode" function during the next net connect...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rmeden has setup a page on getting dial up units working with FreeSCO in a virutal machine configuration here! This should make the process a whole bunch easier! Thanks, Robert!

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I finally got the guide function working for one of my showstoppers. Henry, it looks fantastic!

But it wasn't as simple to set up as you indicated, and I've hit a multiple SD lineup problem.

First the setup. When I just enter the showstopper, type of PVHS 3000, and the corresponding SD lineup, the lineup is served through the net connect, But the showstopper isn't recognized in the guide functions.

The debug log showed:

[6/29/2011 03:02:48] LoginAuthLogout.UpdateDB(): Didn't find Replay: PV-HS1000E0RA52087

So I edited that PV-... serial number into the showstopper definition. Then I was able to get the channel and guide data. I can't remember if I had to do another net connect. A 411 zones also shows this as the "unit serial number".

Now onto the problem I'm having. In my environment (I updated WiRNS yesterday), my TWO SD guides are served to my showstopper even though I only have one defined in the showstopper configuration.

[6/30/2011 09:03:28] WiRNS v2.1.4191 build 26758
[6/30/2011 09:03:28] (c) 2004-2007 rbolen70 and Glenn1963
[6/30/2011 09:03:28] Portions (c) 2003-2004 kjac
[6/30/2011 09:03:28] C:\WiRNS\wirns.log has been backed up to C:\WiRNS\wirns.log.20110630090328.txt
[6/30/2011 09:03:28] Deleted wirns.log.20110630080718.txt
[6/30/2011 09:04:26] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Proxying Login (nightly) for 192.168.3.66
[6/30/2011 09:04:28] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Proxying Authorization for 192.168.3.66
[6/30/2011 09:05:48] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Proxying request for 192.168.3.66.

[6/30/2011 09:05:48] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Added 2 lineups for 192.168.3.66.
[6/30/2011 09:05:59] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 1 from 192.168.3.66, because we serve it locally with 65 channels.
[6/30/2011 09:06:00] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 2 from 192.168.3.66, because we serve it
locally with 19 channels.
[6/30/2011 09:06:06] Serving guide data for: 2011-06-30 to 192.168.3.66
[6/30/2011 09:06:07] Loaded 1954 shows for 76 channels in 0.2520144 second(s).

I only have the 65 channel one defined. When I previously let this complete it bricked my showstopper, required
clearing the channed guide, or even blowing me back to the initial setup (which would fail until I forced a "real" dial download of a different area's channel guide).

Can you PLEASE check to see if your code is ignoring the channel guide settings within the Replays configuration? I REALLY need to support separate guides to separate R3Ks.

Thanks for all your amazing work!!!!!

hdonzis wrote:
OK, BIG announcement! Now that I have a 3K, I was able to add quite a few features to WiRNS to support pre-4K units, this feature included!

In configuring a pre-4K unit, it's important to give each unit a unique name. Since these units don't have names, the name's not important, just that they be unique from any other unit. Just leave the other impertinent parameters blank, like the IP address...

Here's an example of what my WiRNS page looks like with an older unit configured:

Henry

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonwz wrote:
Now onto the problem I'm having. In my environment (I updated WiRNS yesterday), my TWO SD guides are served to my showstopper even though I only have one defined in the showstopper configuration.

[6/30/2011 09:05:48] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Added 2 lineups for 192.168.3.66.
[6/30/2011 09:05:59] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 1 from 192.168.3.66, because we serve it locally with 65 channels.
[6/30/2011 09:06:00] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 2 from 192.168.3.66, because we serve it
locally with 19 channels.
[6/30/2011 09:06:06] Serving guide data for: 2011-06-30 to 192.168.3.66
[6/30/2011 09:06:07] Loaded 1954 shows for 76 channels in 0.2520144 second(s).

I only have the 65 channel one defined. When I previously let this complete it bricked my showstopper, required
clearing the channed guide, or even blowing me back to the initial setup (which would fail until I forced a "real" dial download of a different area's channel guide).

Can you PLEASE check to see if your code is ignoring the channel guide settings within the Replays configuration? I REALLY need to support separate guides to separate R3Ks.

If you have SD configured for two lineups, and you want WiRNS to serve two lineups, then this is the way it works. If you've been reading the thread about the HeadendProvider problem, then you already know that the RTV asks for ALL lineups, not just the ones selected, which is why you're seeing what you're seeing in the WiRNS log. I have a similar situation with my setup that I have 4 lineups configured and are only using 1 of them on my 3K:

Code:
[6/30/2011 04:32:04] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Proxying request for 206.210.206.12.
[6/30/2011 04:32:04] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Added 4 lineups for 206.210.206.12.
[6/30/2011 04:32:31] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 1 from 206.210.206.12, because we serve it locally with 67 channels.
[6/30/2011 04:32:32] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 2 from 206.210.206.12, because we serve it locally with 103 channels.
[6/30/2011 04:32:34] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 3 from 206.210.206.12, because we serve it locally with 66 channels.
[6/30/2011 04:32:36] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 4 from 206.210.206.12, because we serve it locally with 58 channels.

However, there certainly isn't any reason that this should be hurting anything on your RTV! When it was dialing in before, it would have been asking DNNA for lineup information for how ever many provider lineups were available in your area (which was likely way more than the 2 that you are serving now). I can't imagine why this would be any problem at all since your RTV is already expecting this...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
.... provider lineups were available in your area ....

Henry

Could the "in your area" be the problem? I'm in Tampa FL, and I also have a Sarasota lineup (different area) for my mom's unit. Both were downloaded during the net-connects that crashed my showstopper.

I just tested two local tampa lineups configured in SD, did a net connect, and that appears to be fine. They are both valid "in my area" lineups.

Could the replaytv do some sort of checking (it asked for all lineups in areacode 813, and it got one in 941)? Everytime I tried a net connect with a tampa and sarasota lineup, the replay rebooted into a pretty grumpy state.

Alternatively, should I try configuring that out of town lineup as the second one on the replay config in WiRNS? Maybe doing the offset in WiRNS would help?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonwz wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
.... provider lineups were available in your area ....

Henry

Could the "in your area" be the problem? I'm in Tampa FL, and I also have a Sarasota lineup (different area) for my mom's unit. Both were downloaded during the net-connects that crashed my showstopper.

I just tested two local tampa lineups configured in SD, did a net connect, and that appears to be fine. They are both valid "in my area" lineups.

Could the replaytv do some sort of checking (it asked for all lineups in areacode 813, and it got one in 941)? Everytime I tried a net connect with a tampa and sarasota lineup, the replay rebooted into a pretty grumpy state.

Alternatively, should I try configuring that out of town lineup as the second one on the replay config in WiRNS? Maybe doing the offset in WiRNS would help?

No, the RTV doesn't care. I was merely pointing out that it already has to handle multiple lineups even when you've only selected one. I'm already supplying multiple ZIP codes for my family and that works fine...

Also the offset doesn't enter into anything other than WiRNS displaying its interpretation of the ChannelGuide. None of that information goes to the RTV. There is no ZIP code information, no offset information. Everything is by provider ID and channel ID only. Multiple providers use the same channel ID for the same channels. So, if both of your lineup from two different ZIP codes had the same channel, like CNN, for example, then they would both have the same channel ID for that, and it would only be stored one time, independent of it being in two different lineups. So, the RTV already accomdates that multiple providers might have the same channels, like that you might use a National Satellite lineup (which would be the same for every ZIP code) and a cable lineup in combination, and they might likely have a lot of channel IDs (not channel numbers) in common...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, thanks for explaining that the replay guide and offset settings are for WiRNS display and don't affect the download.

I'm surprised Replaytv designed the nightly download to send EVERY lineup in your zipcode, but then again, I really do believe they got the nightly dial access for free, and might have figured it would save a daytime setup call if someone change local providers.

But here I'm just acting as a tester. My results, sending brighthouse cable from 33634 and Comcast digital from 34242 consistently caused a reboot about 33 percent into the channel data. Sending brighthouse and OTA from 33634 works.

My workaround, if I get this all working, can be to run two WiRNS's each with an SD subscription.

If I could come over and buy you a beer, I'd argue that when I dial "Replaytv Central" and get the six odd lineups for 33634, it is different than when I connect to WiRNS and get a 33634 and a 34242 lineup. As complexity tends to tempt fate, I'd prefer if each of my 3K's just got the lineup they were configured for, but I'm sure you have better things to look into before the end of the month.

Thanks again, Jon
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
The RTV caches all that data in case you want to make a configuration change it doesn't have to "phone home". So, it also downloads the current list of phone numbers each time as well in case you want to select a different phone number to use. It probably could be done differently, but they probably figured as long as it was already dialing in, they might as well update as much information as possible. The channel lineup responses are fairly small, so it's probably not that big of a deal for it to update the channels for all of the providers each time it dials in...

I think you're looking at this lineup thing all wrong. First of all, when your RTV dials up without going through WiRNS, it gets way more provider lineups than what you are trying to manage. And, the satellite lineups are national lineups, which means that everyone gets them regardless of their ZIP code. The RTV has no idea what provider lineups are for your ZIP code, which is the point of it asking. It certainly has to assume that whatever it gets back is what it appropriate since that's the point of the request in the first place!

Anyway, if you think about the fact that when you go into the RTV settings that it shows all the lineups available, not just the ones selected, you'll realize that this is no different that WiRNS is indicating that these lineups are available. Configuring your RTV lineups in WiRNS is simply so WiRNS can compute the correct channel numbers when it displays the guide information, nothing more. Exactly the same as configuring WiRNS with the offset that your RTV is using, so that it can display the channel numbers correctly. It has nothing to do what so ever with actually making the RTV work in any particular way. You can still select whatever lineup you want on the RTV, and if it is different than the one you configure in WiRNS, then WiRNS' channel numbers will likely be wrong, but it won't change the RTV properly recording from the lineup you selected...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, no fair, you wrote all that without the impairment of a few beers....

Again, I'm just looking at this from a tester/end-user point of view. I see what is working and what is not working for me.

And there is a lot I don't understand, for instance, I "successfully" loaded two 33634 Schedule Direct lineups,

33634 Brandon, US Bright House Networks Hillsborough Cnty - Cable Cable

33634 Tampa, US Local Broadcast Listings - Antenna LocalBroadcast

But I can't find the second one anywhere in the R3K setup.

I've also had a few connects that get all the way to "combining data" and then flash an error message.

Hopefully I'll muddle through all this before the end of the month - thanks again, Jon
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonwz wrote:
And there is a lot I don't understand, for instance, I "successfully" loaded two 33634 Schedule Direct lineups,

You would find one in the Cable selection and the other one, possibly in the Satellite selection as that is the default for WiRNS to mark OTA lineups. If it is coming out as Satellite and you want it to come out as Antennae, then change your WiRNS OTA setting to Antennae. The reason it defaults to Satellite was that people liked using set top boxes with serial cables, so that was the advantage of WiRNS that it could change their OTA lineup to a DirecTV lineup. The RTV doesn't support using Antennae with an external set top box, so you have to change the lineup to some other type to allow you to use an external box. For the current OTA converters, I like selecting Digital Cable since that's what it's closest to...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I had Configured Guide Data to flag OTA as antenna, although now that I understand more, digital cable is a better setting as I'd be using it with an OTA converter. So, I would have expected setup to let me change from cable to antenna. It does, but won't end setup without another net connect (strange to me as it should already have all the info it needs).

I'll try another net connect after I set it back to Digital Cable in WiRNS.

Thanks again.....

hdonzis wrote:
jonwz wrote:

You would find one in the Cable selection and the other one, possibly in the Satellite selection as that is the default for WiRNS to mark OTA lineups. If it is coming out as Satellite and you want it to come out as Antennae, then change your WiRNS OTA setting to Antennae. The reason it defaults to Satellite was that people liked using set top boxes with serial cables, so that was the advantage of WiRNS that it could change their OTA lineup to a DirecTV lineup. The RTV doesn't support using Antennae with an external set top box, so you have to change the lineup to some other type to allow you to use an external box. For the current OTA converters, I like selecting Digital Cable since that's what it's closest to...

Henry
Henry

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonwz wrote:
Strange, I had Configured Guide Data to flag OTA as antenna

Ah! Well, then, you should have seen one lineup listed under Cable and the other one listed under Antennae. So, there'd be no place that you'd see both listings together...

Henry
jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More strangeness, but some progress I think.

When I changed the SD sourced local antenna channel lineup from ota to digital cable, net-connected, now I see TWO new lineups - both starting with WIRNS:....

I never saw even one of those before and I should have seen it for the one previous SD provided cable listing (I did scroll through all the provider lists under cable, satellite, etc).

But when I select the WIRNS: Brighthouse cable lineup, it forces me to do another net-connect, and then gives me an "OUT OF MEMORY" error.

Henry (or anyone else reading this weekend), can you tell me the simplest way to block off the proxying from replaytv's servers? I've seen mention of "skip" files. In my "keep it simple" perspective, I'd like to deal with just the files I'll have after Aug 1. Maybe totally unrelated, but I'm getting a lot of failures at "combining data" at the end of a net-connect.

Thanks......

hdonzis wrote:
jonwz wrote:
Strange, I had Configured Guide Data to flag OTA as antenna

Ah! Well, then, you should have seen one lineup listed under Cable and the other one listed under Antennae. So, there'd be no place that you'd see both listings together...

Henry

jonwz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Finally got a WIRNS: channel guide, and getnextcall question Reply with quote

After many failed attempts, I finally was able to select WIRNS:Brighthouse....
from the R3K setup and get a full successful download. It took a hour of connect time. From the freesco log:

Jul 4 10:44:38 - pppd[1707]: Connect time 57.4 minutes.
Jul 4 10:44:38 - pppd[1707]: Sent 3307606 bytes, received 123806 bytes.

WIRNS:... is now my selected channel lineup as shown when I go back into setup.

I've also noticed that both of my RTV's no longer do the nightly download. Seems to now try about 11AM. I see that WIRNS has getnextcall logic to feed LAN attached Replays after getting a guide update. For us multi-unit dial types, would be nice if we could configure each unit to have it's own net connect window.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the poll time for a 3000. WiRNS -> Configuration -> Force next call.

I have noticed that the Replay only dials if it's been at least 24 hours since the last poll.

I've also noticed it's pretty punctual. I've shortened the remote access times on FreeSCO to match the "Force next call" poll on the replay to save wear on the modem. (ata loop)

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
I have noticed that the Replay only dials if it's been at least 24 hours since the last poll.

Well, not quite 24 hours and not quite recently. I haven't figured it out for sure, but I do a lot of net connects, and if I net connect before 00:00:00 UTC, then it will do it again at the designated time. However, sometimes I do it after midnight UTC, and sometimes it net connects again and sometimes it doesn't. But, I think bascially if it is in the same "day" GMT as it is planning the next net connect, then it may not net connect again...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: