Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

understanding the EVT script

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brentnicholas
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: understanding the EVT script Reply with quote

Hi,

So I've recently started using DVArchive, EVTDump and ReplayEdit. I've got it all worked out after a bit of troubles. Though the last thing I'm having a hard time with is the EVT.txt file scripting.

I ran EVTDump, but it didn't really do a good job. No big deal though, I'm a programmer anyway and prefer to write my own scripts.

What I don't understand however is the punch in and out points in the script.

For example, the script in the DOC's shows:

D:\video\Local_Guide> evtdump "Stargate SG-1 - Revisions.evt" > evt.txt
D:\video\Local_Guide> type evt.txt
FStargate SG-1 - Revisions.mpg
A000:51.147
D003:28.305
A005:34.156
A006:04.587
D017:48.467
A020:47.321
A021:17.452
D027:17.890
A029:18.122
A029:48.109
A030:28.228
D036:27.278

What I don't undsertand is... What's with the multiple A's?

What I wrote was: (<--- with notes)

FC:\DVArchive\DataFiles\Dungeons - Dragons.mpg
A000:00.000 <--- start of file
D004:39.000 <--- first commercial started at 4mins, 39secs
A007:33.000 <--- commercials end at 7mins, 33secs
D012:50.000 <--- commercials start again at 12mins,50secs
A017:22.000
D021:48.000
A024:12.000
D029:18.000
E

It seems logical to me but when run, the second group of commercials didn't drop out right. It seemed that the drop point was early and left a fair bit of commercials...

So:
1) Am I doing the in/out points correctly?
2) Are the times in minutes and seconds as I've scripted?
3) Is there some sort of off set I need to keep track of after punching out and then back in?

THanks for everyone's help.

BN
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One quick question. Have you watched the file and does it skip the commercials in the correct spot when viewing or does it happen to leave some and does it match up to where your edit is having problems.

Even the mighty replay is not infallible and sound/black screens etc can confuse the commercial skip sequence.

IF that is not it, then we can work on the other issues.
brentnicholas
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanjonny -

Thanks for the reply.

Well the file that EVTDump creates is no good. It doesn't pick up the commercials correctly at all. That's why I want to just write my own.

As for the script I write, the first drop point (where the delete begins) is correct, and from what I recall (I deleted the file last week) it came back in at the right point. It's where I scripted the next drop point that it seemed to get out of sync. I suppose I should try running it again a do a more detailed analysis.

What I'm really trying to do right now though is get a better understanding of the scripting techniques above. As in why are there multiple A's in a row? Why would you punch in, then out, then in and in, then out and so on?

I'm still curious if my premises in points 1-3 are correct however.

Anyway, just to be clear, my intent is not to move these files back on to the DVR, just to strip the commericals out then save to DVD/CD/HardDrive as a normal MPG and be able to play them on my Insignia (iPod) when I travel.

Thanks again for your help,

BN
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Womble MPEG Video Wizard and manual editing.
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, at least the original files are okay.

I believe the problem is not with the evt file but with replay tools or whatever the coversion program is that evtdump is using. For some reason, these tools have not worked correctly since the change in windows media player versions. There are several other posts in the forums here that you can browse for more info but basically, unless someone makes a new set of tools, the old ones just basically stopped working for replay streams.

I tried womble, but really liked Video Redo better than womble and I think it was less expensive.

You can also manually covert the files using several public domain programs but I could not find anything for free that did a good job of editing the files consistenly.

IT sucks because I used to use a few tools based on rtvtools that were free and worked awesome. Darn it. Wish I knew how to program, but don't have the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: