Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by Step - Making WiRNS/ReplayTV work with DST changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriv
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Step by Step - Making WiRNS/ReplayTV work with DST changes Reply with quote

Yes, I posted this under another topic, but I decided it needed it's own topic, since there didn't appear to be any other guide to making ReplayTVs with WiRNS work correctly for the DST changes effective this year.

Maybe a moderator can sticky this topic until a week or two after the DST change (on 3/11). Please don't lock the topic though, as other people may find other methods that work better for them, and may want to post them.

I had to do all of the following to make the time change work correctly on my Replays with WiRNS:

1) Change the registry entry: [HKLM\Software\WiRNS\configuration\doUserTimeZone] from true to false.
2) Restart WiRNS.
3) CAREFULLY (don't miss the step in RED) follow the instructions at http://kb.replaytv.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=43

This worked for both of my 5040's, and my 5504. This worked for both my "real" copy of WiRNS and my "development" copy of WiRNS. It made no difference if I was proxying guide data to DNNA or not.

To test for correct results on your ReplayTV, go to your "Channel Guide" on your Replay, and surf to Sun 3/11 at 1:30 a.m. The time spot immediately following 1:30 a.m. should be 3:00 a.m. (NOT 2 a.m.) IF you are in an area that observes DST.

This worked fine for me, but is far from a guarantee that it will work with all Replays/WiRNS.
* 3 Linksys WRT54GS-Talisman 1.05 (WDS w/ WPA-PSK)
* ReplayCRT
* WiRNS
* DVArchive
* IVSmagic

Here's my poop (5xxx only)
waynethedvrguy
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chriv:

Good job. Thanks.

Some WiRNS users will already have the registry entry set to "false" dependant on whether they put a check mark in the box marked "ReplayTV gets User Time Zone" in the Config=>WiRNS menu.

I never quite understood the reason for that box. I never checked it in any of the versions.

Regards,

Wayne
chriv
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Step by Step - Making WiRNS/ReplayTV work with DST chang Reply with quote

Hypothetically, here is a second method that SHOULD work if you prefer WiRNS to set the timezone string for your Replay instead of DNNA (I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS).

1) Change the registry entry: [HKLM\Software\WiRNS\configuration\doUserTimeZone] from false to true.
    2) Change the registry entry:
    [HKLM\Software\WiRNS\configuration\UserTimeZone] to the appropriate timezone string below:
      a) Eastern Time Zone: EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
      b) Central Time Zone: CST6CDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
      c) Mountain Time Zone: MST7MDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
      d) Pacific Time Zone: PST8PDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
    3) Restart WiRNS.
    4) CAREFULLY (don't miss the step in RED) follow the instructions at http://kb.replaytv.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=43

Once again, I HAVE NOT tested this method. It SHOULD work.

Variants of these strings (examples shown below for Eastern Time) should also work:
EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00
EST5EDT,M3.2.0/2,M11.1.0/2
EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

Basically, DNNA is choosing NOT to update the OS of the ReplayTV to store correct settings for the TimeZone changes, and instead is using a modified TimeZone string (environmental variable) to override the beginning and end of DST.

The ",M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00" suffix on the TZ string tells the OS to override the beginning and end of DST to 2:00 am on the second Sunday in March, and to 2:00 am on the first Sunday in November, respectively.
* ReplayCRT
* WiRNS
* DVArchive
* IVSmagic

RevWillie
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. my 4ks updated correctly on the first try using the replaytv.com instructions. I didn't have to change anything in Wirns.

see my 4k shows at poopli
scott02467
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm Chriv's information for changing if you prefer Wirns to set the timezone information instead of using the info from DNNA:

Before starting I had guide information going out past 11 Mar and had the 2a slot on 11 Mar filled with show information.

I followed his steps for changing Wirns, and then updated my 5000s and 4500. All went ok and my guides now show for the morning of 11 Mar that the time goes directly over to 3am.

Cheers,
Scott
na9d

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the advantage in letting WiRNS set the timezone as opposed to DNNA??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chriv
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
What is the advantage in letting WiRNS set the timezone as opposed to DNNA??

No real advantage. Just a distinction in where the information is obtained. Just as WiRNS gets its program data from zap2it intead of DNNA, and serves that data to the replays (unless you have told WiRNS to proxy guide data requests to DNNA anyway), this is a similar distinction. The timezone data can (optionally) be set by WiRNS instead of by DNNA. This (ever so slightly) reduces your dependence on DNNA. A counter argument is that you pay DNNA for service, you might as well get what you pay for.

Bottom line, it makes no difference whatsoever. You can get your timezone data from DNNA, or you can let WiRNS set it with a string you provide. If you are providing the same string as DNNA, it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I guess that is the one true use for this. If DNNA is providing incorrect timezone data, you have a way to override this behavior in WiRNS. I doubt anyone has had this problem, though. The hacker in me likes that this is available, and likes that it is documented how to use it.
* ReplayCRT
* WiRNS
* DVArchive
* IVSmagic

kb2tdu
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by Step - Making WiRNS/ReplayTV work with DST chang Reply with quote

I did this with a 5040 and 5060 and it worked flawlessly. The DNNA instructions did not reflect the dialog I saw; my Replays decided I had lost my previous providers and made me go through setup of a new provider. Based on the DNNA instructions I kept all the current settings (which following the menus directly would have screwed up - found out the hard way) and eventually got to the delete/re-enter zip code function. After that the update came from WiRNS (watched the log while it worked), the guide updated and time was correct on the Replays.
chriv wrote:
Hypothetically, here is a second method that SHOULD work if you prefer WiRNS to set the timezone string for your Replay instead of DNNA (I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS).

1) Change the registry entry: [HKLM\Software\WiRNS\configuration\doUserTimeZone] from false to true.
    [HKLM\Software\WiRNS\configuration\UserTimeZone] to the appropriate timezone string below:
    3) Restart WiRNS.
    4) CAREFULLY (don't miss the step in RED) follow the instructions at http://kb.replaytv.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=43

Variants of these strings (examples shown below for Eastern Time) should also work:
EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

Basically, DNNA is choosing NOT to update the OS of the ReplayTV to store correct settings for the TimeZone changes, and instead is using a modified TimeZone string (environmental variable) to override the beginning and end of DST.

The ",M3.2.0/2:00:00,M11.1.0/2:00:00" suffix on the TZ string tells the OS to override the beginning and end of DST to 2:00 am on the second Sunday in March, and to 2:00 am on the first Sunday in November, respectively.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Step by Step - Making WiRNS/ReplayTV work with DST chang Reply with quote

chriv wrote:

3) Restart WiRNS.

EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0

Both of these settings are available through the WiRNS configuration page rather than editing the registry. The "doUserTimeZone" registry setting is the "ReplayTV gets User Time Zone" checkbox in the WiRNS configuration page, and the "UserTimeZone" registry setting is the "Unix Time Zone" data entry field in the WiRNS configuration page. So, in order to enter the information above through the WiRNS configuration page, check the "ReplayTV gets User Time Zone" checkbox and enter "EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" into the "Unix Time Zone" data entry field for Eastern Time...

Henry
alman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Non Replay Time Zone Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Both of these settings are available through the WiRNS configuration page rather than editing the registry. The "doUserTimeZone" registry setting is the "ReplayTV gets User Time Zone" checkbox in the WiRNS configuration page, and the "UserTimeZone" registry setting is the "Unix Time Zone" data entry field in the WiRNS configuration page. So, in order to enter the information above through the WiRNS configuration page, check the "ReplayTV gets User Time Zone" checkbox and enter "EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" into the "Unix Time Zone" data entry field for Eastern Time...

Henry

Your post gave me an idea. I changed the Unix Time Zone entry to AST4ADT to see if it would change my replays to Atlantic time. This was a couple weeks ago, probably shortly after you posted, and it didn't change anything.

I never bothered changing it back to the original settings and didn't even think of it again, till I pulled up the channel guide on one of the units last night to set a recording and low and behold, my local time was showing and the channel guide followed my time zone as well. I checked all the replays, and sure enough, two of the four had changed. To make the other two follow suit I had to do a zip code change and purge the listings, but now all are on Atlantic Daylight Time, which is a real bonus, espcecially when setting up manual recordings and not having to remember to subtract an hour.

I'm assuming the change took place as the Sunday just gone by would have been the normal day DST would have started before the change was implemented, so I don't know what will happen at the end of October when the time would normally go back. I did have to change some of my recordings, but not all of them which was really weird

I know there are users who live outside the standard time zones, so hopefully this will be of use to them.

The only zone this may not work for is Newfoundland as I'm not sure if Wirns would understand NST3.5NDT
________
Honda S500

Last edited by alman on Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Non Replay Time Zone Reply with quote

alman wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Henry

Your post gave me an idea. I changed the Unix Time Zone entry to AST4ADT to see if it would change my replays to Atlantic time. This was a couple weeks ago, probably shortly after you posted, and it didn't change anything.

I never bothered changing it back to the original settings and didn't even think of it again, till I pulled up the channel guide on one of the units last night to set a recording and low and behold, my local time was showing and the channel guide followed my time zone as well. I checked all the replays, and sure enough, two of the four had changed. To make the other two follow suit I had to do a zip code change and purge the listings, but now all are on Atlantic Daylight Time, which is a real bonus, espcecially when setting up manual recordings and not having to remember to subtract an hour.

I'm assuming the change took place as the Sunday just gone by would have been the normal day DST would have started before the change was implemented, so I don't know what will happen at the end of October when the time would normally go back. I did have to change some of my recordings, but not all of them which was really weird

I know there are users who live outside the standard time zones, so hopefully this will be of use to them.

The only zone this may not work for is Newfoundland as I'm not sure if Wirns would understand NST3.5NDT

The Replay doesn't "know" any of the new DST rules, so you have to enter them manually. As in the quote, you have to add an ",M..." string to explain the DST rules to the Replay. I don't know what the DST rules are for Atlantic time, but if they are the same as for the rest of Canada, then you need to add the DST rule above, ",M3.2.0,M11.1.0" on the end of your UNIX time string as such: "AST4ADT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0"...

The point of this feature is to be able to set the Replay DST rules to whatever is necessary. Especially if live in a times zone, such as yourself, where there is no US ZIP code to set the Replay correctly from DNNA.

So, without setting the new DST rules for your timezone, the Replay was perfectly happy to use the 4 hour time zone offset that you specified and follow the old DST rules, which went on DST this last Sunday...

Since the Replay uses the standard UNIX time string, then it should work just fine with the Newfoundland standard UNIX time string (if that's what you posted -- it may also need DST rules attached, but I think that the correct format is something like NST3:30NDT). However, WiRNS doesn't handle time zones with minute offset (not whole hours) very well (basically, at all)...

Henry
alman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured come November if things went wonky I'd add your 'M String', but didn't do it originally as I thought at least changing the EST5EDT string to AST4ADT would change something whether it changed it correctly or not.

When it didn't I never went further! Curious why I had to clear the guide on two of the machines to accept the change while two changed on their own though!
________
Yamaha YM2151 history

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the point of your post is, then. The point of this thread is to tell you how to properly set WiRNS to set the time zone and DST rules for your Replay. Since you posted that you didn't set the DST rules properly, I'm not sure how surprising it is that the change didn't occur until the date of the old DST.

Also, just changing the string in WiRNS won't do anything for your Replays at all. You have to perform the ZIP code refresh instructions in the post as well. You shouldn't need to clear your guide at all. Although, if you changed your ZIP code, maybe that is why you had to clear your guide. The instructions are to clear your ZIP code and then to go back and set it to its orignal setting. That causes the Replay to download the time zone and DST rules for that ZIP code, which it should then get from WiRNS (and WiRNS will even log sending the time zone string: "[PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Returning User Time Zone: <Unix Time Zone>"). If you don't see this log entry in WiRNS, then you haven't changed anything in the Replays...

Anyway, you started your post that you changed the Unix Time Zone string in WiRNS and it didn't change anything. I think the problem was that you didn't follow the instructions all the way through. And, without adding the DST rules to the string, I'm not sure how it could have changed anything anyways if you had followed the instructions (because it wouldn't have been on DST so it would have been an hour off)...

Henry
alman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
I'm not sure what the point of your post is, then. The point of this thread is to tell you how to properly set WiRNS to set the time zone and DST rules for your Replay. Since you posted that you didn't set the DST rules properly, I'm not sure how surprising it is that the change didn't occur until the date of the old DST.

Also, just changing the string in WiRNS won't do anything for your Replays at all. You have to perform the ZIP code refresh instructions in the post as well. You shouldn't need to clear your guide at all. Although, if you changed your ZIP code, maybe that is why you had to clear your guide. The instructions are to clear your ZIP code and then to go back and set it to its orignal setting. That causes the Replay to download the time zone and DST rules for that ZIP code, which it should then get from WiRNS (and WiRNS will even log sending the time zone string: "[PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Returning User Time Zone: <Unix Time Zone>"). If you don't see this log entry in WiRNS, then you haven't changed anything in the Replays...

Anyway, you started your post that you changed the Unix Time Zone string in WiRNS and it didn't change anything. I think the problem was that you didn't follow the instructions all the way through. And, without adding the DST rules to the string, I'm not sure how it could have changed anything anyways if you had followed the instructions (because it wouldn't have been on DST so it would have been an hour off)...

Henry

I guess I didn't quite grasp the concept of what was being done to the replays when following the procedure for the DST change. Where I had already followed the steps set out back in October, I didn't see the need to complete them again. My understanding was that this was a one time requirement, and as my machines did all change at the required time, I never gave it a second thought.

Since they were already on EDT when I decided to change the string, I assumed that the time would change to ADT if it was indeed going to work.

My main reason for the post was to point out that it was indeed possible to get non-US time zones, something I was led to beleive from a post a while back, wasn't doable.

http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9321&highlight=non+replay+zone

Technically I had to hijack your thread to do so as it was your explanation of how to set up for Daylight Savings Time that gave me the idea to try what I did. I don't think it's possible to start a new thread with a quote from an existing one.

As for the questions on why it changed two of the replays without doing the zip code step and not the other two, I guess I'm just not satisfied in getting something to work. I like to understand what makes it work or not work.
________
Porte

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it doesn't look like that thread said that it wasn't doable. In fact, it looked like waynethedvrguy said that he knew it was doable, he just didn't know how. WiRNS has had this feature for a pretty long time. In fact, so long that it wasn't in the user interface, and that's why chriv's post is about editing the registry...

So, the good news is that you should be able to send any timezone string to the Replays that you want, even the funny Newfoundland string. And, you can verify that it is being sent to the Replays properly by checking the WiRNS log for the log entry I posted above. And, WiRNS doesn't care about this string at all, except to send to the Replay when it asks for it. WiRNS uses the Windows timezone information, although it only uses the hour offset from UTC. So, in the case of being in Newfoundland you would only get the 3 hour offset and not the 3-1/2 hour offset. I'm not sure what all strange things that would make happen...

As far as the Replays that changed by themselves and the ones that didn't, there certainly has to be a reason for it. Like that in playing with selecting lineups that you were going through recently that some of them somehow got updated. Although, you really can't see the timezone string in the Replays, all you can see is the effect of it in the Channel Guide and current time. It's certainly possible that somehow the two Replays were set differently from connecting to DNNA or something and were following different DST rules than the other two. As you pointed out (and as I explained in my previous post) being on EDT and changing to AST would be exactly the same. So, at least for the couple of weeks between the old DST and the new DST, they would look the same outwardly. Since you can't see the timezone within the Replay, you'd really have no idea if it was on EDT or AST...

So, the value of your addition to this thread is that WiRNS should be able to be used to set any timezone string into the Replay to make it work in non-US time zones. You just have to put the same correct timezone string into the WiRNS configuration as you would for any "old" UNIX system (meaning that you have to put the complete start and end configuration, which is the "M" part of the string)...

Henry

P.S. I have no problem with this discussion being part of this thread. In fact, it probably does belong as part of this thread, just not that you were surprised that it didn't work without using the ",M..." part of the string as the instructions specified. But, if you wanted to start a new thread quoting from this one, I would just quote the part I wanted, cut the quote, then start a new thread and paste the quote into it. It might be a bit difficult for someone reading to figure out where the quote came from. You could always site the original post that you quoted by putting the URL into the quote as well...
alman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Since you can't see the timezone within the Replay, you'd really have no idea if it was on EDT or AST....

Actually there is a way, (I think). The last connect time now displays the time as 'ADT' and the time matches the Wirns log. Quite sure before is was always in EST or EDT depending on the time of year, and an hour behind what the log showed.
________
grape ape

hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alman wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
Since you can't see the timezone within the Replay, you'd really have no idea if it was on EDT or AST....

Actually there is a way, (I think). The last connect time now displays the time as 'ADT' and the time matches the Wirns log. Quite sure before is was always in EST or EDT depending on the time of year, and an hour behind what the log showed.

Aha! That is a good tidbit to know and to post! I hadn't thought about that screen...

This capability has been in WiRNS for a really long time. I'm just sorry that it took this long for you to find out...

Henry

P.S. Don't forget to be sure and change your WiRNS "Unix Time Zone" setting to "AST4ADT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" and perform the ZIP code refresh on the 4 Replays as instructed above...
ocahui
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Unix Time Zone Reply with quote

I have used a variety of Unix and Linux and other *NIX systems, but never heard of a "Unix Time Zone". Evidently, neither has Google. Most *NIX systems run on UTC. That would be my first definition. I am clueless beyond that.

I run some Linux systems that run straight UTC but I also run a Linux VBox that is set to local time. The time zone setting in my VBox (CentOS) Linux server reads:
ZONE="America/Phoenix"
No help there.

The Windows system it runs on has exactly the same setting. Pretty straightforward.

The Sticky thread on the subject of the WirNS time zone setting leaves me as mystified as I was before reading. I saw no mention of how to handle a location where the clocks are never set forward or back. (Also, for the setting details, it links to a thread that doesn't exist.)

I'm not sure whether SD will automatically manage the time or not. If WiRNs handles it instead, the sticky thread implies that WiRNS is going to switch to a locally nonexistent DST on some date I pay no attention to, and then a few months later switch back, unless I figure out how to tell it to cease and desist.

My objective (post July 31, 2011) is to have both WiRNs and my 55xx Replays display the correct Arizona time in their respective channel guides 365/366 days a year without my having to do anything beyond initial setup.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Time Zone string is what Unix systems use to calculate the offset from UTC to local time so that they can display times in local time. The format has been around for a pretty long time and is in use widely...

I assume that you don't obsever Daylight Savings Time, so your string would like something like "MST7"...

Henry
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you enter your Zip Code in the Replay, does it not already know that your time doesn't change?

Assuming it doesn't, part of the discussion above is the way DNNA decided to use some sort of modified Time Zone string. Using a standard string will likely result in the Replay changing time based on the old DST start/stop dates.

This is the string I used in WiRNS for a Central time zone that also doesn't observe DST (actually they are always on DST):
Code:
CST6CDT,M7.2.0/2:00:00,M7.2.0/2:00:00

Basically it tells the Replay that DST starts and stops at the same time. I arbitrarily chose the second Sunday (.2.0) of month 7 (M7) at 2 A.M.

I figured it wrong the first time, but it's pretty easy to just change it in WiRNS and change your Replay zip code until you get the result you're chasing.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the RTV uses a modified Time Zone string. In addition, if you don't "celebrate" DST, then it really shouldn't matter much what you put in there, especially the start and stop dates and times...

Anyway, the modification is the standard modification for anything that uses the Time Zone string. I put the same string in my router when the start and stop dates changed...

The standard notation for not "celebrating" DST is to only have your TZ name and the offset, like for you it would be "CST6", or if you were always on DST (which I don't understand what you are saying, then it would be "CST5" or "CDT5" depending on how they use it there...

But, specifically for Arizona, it should simply be "MST7" and that means no DST with a seven hour offset...

If you put another desinator after the offset, then that means that you "celebrate" DST and would follow whatever rules were built in that software. But, the Time Zone string specification always supported setting the DST rules, so that's what most people did. That's why I can put the same TZ string with the M rules into my router and have it now observe the current DST rules...

Henry
ocahui
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

But, specifically for Arizona, it should simply be "MST7" and that means no DST with a seven hour offset...
Henry

Thanks, Henry.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that it seems so complicated, and sometimes understanding computer time can be, but if you search for "Time Zone String" or "TZ String", you can easily come up with the specifications. For example, here is a very good example of changing the TZ string on some device, which also indicates how widely used the POSIX standard is use: http://www.di-mgt.com.au/wclock/tz.html (which has an explanation for specifying without DST first thing), with the explanation of the details here: http://www.di-mgt.com.au/wclock/tz-syntax.txt...

And, here is a very straight forward explanation as well: http://www.gnu.org/s/hello/manual/libc/TZ-Variable.html...

Henry
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't care what the string means and just want to set it for your timezone, then you can look at this list from OpenWrt (look at the "Time Zones" section"):

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/system#time.zones

I looked up Newfoundland (America/St Johns), just out of curiosity because of the earlier discussion in this thread, and here is the string:

NST3:30NDT,M3.2.0/0:01,M11.1.0/0:01

I think they really like to be different! Not only do they not use a full hour offset from GMT, they also don't change their clocks on the hour, instead they change them at 1 minute after Midnight!

I wonder how the Replay and WiRNS handles that one!!

Last edited by Space on Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space wrote:
I wonder how the Replay and WiRNS handles that one!!

Well, they should both handle it just fine, but the Channel Guides won't look as nice since they show in 1/2 hour increments...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: