Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What exactally is the point of Replay 5K Tools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
todd2000
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: What exactally is the point of Replay 5K Tools? Reply with quote

I tried to get Replay Tools to work and it took forever. I finally got it working but it just seems like too much effort. All I do is use MPEG Streamclip to edit out the commercials, save the MPEG (as far as I can tell it's not re-encoding, or converting or anything), and burn it with Toast on my Mac, and it is perfect. What exactly does Replay Tools do differently then this? Is there something im missing?
Rao74311
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a collection of free utilities specifically designed for use on 5xxx files. There is nothing you are missing, these tools were created back in 2002 or 2003 if I'm not mistaken. The only tool from this set I have ever used is rtvconvert and I use it often.
todd2000
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does rtvconvert do to the mpeg files? I didn't run it and they burned, and played fine. Although I did find this while searching:

"ReplayTV records TV shows in MPEG-2 format which is the same format used for DVD. Unfortunately, certain portions of ReplayTV files are typically non-standard or corrupt. Before these files can be used, they must be converted into standard MPEG-2 format files."

Is this basically the only reason to use rtvconvert?
Rao74311
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd2000 wrote:
What exactly does rtvconvert do to the mpeg files? I didn't run it and they burned, and played fine.

The hardware encoder used in replays is proprietary, as a result the mpegs have extra information in the headers which makes them non-standard. Rtvconvert is used to convert a standard mpeg2 file into a native replay mpeg2 file and it generates the necessary .NDX and .EVT files. So if you have some video content such as dvd's, home movies, mpeg4 content, etc. that you wanted to share you would re-encode it as a standard mpeg2 file, use rtvconvert and then import with DVArchive.
todd2000
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still confused, all the tutorials I have foudn so far say that RTVCONVERT is used to convert a ReplayTV MPEG for use on a DVD. Step 5 in this tutorial for example: http://motogrrl.com/replayTV/replay_to_dvd.html Says

"RTVCONVERT converts any qualifying MPEG-2 file for use with DVD authoring software.

NOTE: Do not perform RTVCONVERT on a raw ReplayTV file. It must be processed with RTVEDIT (even if no edits are made)."

Neither of those 2 statments seem to be true from what your saying, but I have seen the in more then one place. Even the Replay Tools Documentation say

"RTVCONVERT processes an MPEG-2 and produces a file set compatible with the
RTV5K units and DVD authoring tools. Source code is not available."

Im still trying to figure out what it does to make it "compatible" with DVD authoring tools? Considering I authored a DVD without using it.
Rao74311
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd2000 wrote:
Im still confused, all the tutorials I have foudn so far say that RTVCONVERT is used to convert a ReplayTV MPEG for use on a DVD. Step 5 in this tutorial for example: http://motogrrl.com/replayTV/replay_to_dvd.html Says

"RTVCONVERT converts any qualifying MPEG-2 file for use with DVD authoring software.

NOTE: Do not perform RTVCONVERT on a raw ReplayTV file. It must be processed with RTVEDIT (even if no edits are made)."

You've seen for yourself that it is not necessary to use these tools. The guide you referenced was last updated almost three years ago.

Quote:
Even the Replay Tools Documentation say

"RTVCONVERT processes an MPEG-2 and produces a file set compatible with the RTV5K units and DVD authoring tools. Source code is not available."

Correct, that's exactly what it does. It's just saying that rtvconvert's output is also compatable with dvd authoring programs.

Quote:
Im still trying to figure out what it does to make it "compatible" with DVD authoring tools? Considering I authored a DVD without using it.

Again, the key is that the output is compatable with replay hardware. If your looking for a technical explanation then I'd suggest contacting the author of rtvconvert or read up on the mpeg2 standard and then do some before and after comparison.

This is how I understand the program to operate. The technicalities are beyond my scope, maybe someone will jump in and correct me or give a better explanation. If you want to stream files to your replay or want to import material from outside sources then the material has to be compatable. And that's what rtvconvert is for. If you just want to archive your replay recordings to dvd then you don't need any of the rtvtools.

Last edited by Rao74311 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the newest version of rtvconvert and edit, the ends of my shows keep getting cut off. This happens on 4K shows, so I stopped using it. The previous version didn't have this problem with 4K shows but I deleted my copy and no longer have it.

Anyone out there have an old version of rtvtools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: