Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New feature: Directed Loopback Sends (without IVSProvider)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: New feature: Directed Loopback Sends (without IVSProvider) Reply with quote

This came about through a hack found by Ryan and seems to work pretty well. What this will allow you to do is update the RDDNS servers with your local LAN IP address instead of your WAN IP address so your local Replays will directly connect to IVSm bypassing your router. This will also solve the problem of people wanting to send shows back to their Replays when their routers do not natively support IP loopback. It will also make your loopback sends extremely quick.

This feature will also allow you to transfer shows between 2 local physical Replays bypassing the router. W00t!

Here is how you do it:

1) Update to v0.9.8.11
2) Pick a show you would like transferred back to your Replay from your Local Guide (DVA). Send it.
3) Goto the Replays page, select the Replay that will be *sending* the show (your Virtual Replay if you have it enabled, or your Master Replay if you are using proxied sends). Click the dropdown box and select "Update with LAN Address".
4) Confirm that the update was successful by doing a lookup on that same Replay. The IP address should match IVSm's bind address and not the public WAN address.
5) Goto your Replay and accept the show. It will start counting up within 15 minutes.

You can confirm that your Replay is indeed using the local IP address and bypassing the router by going to the "Apache Chunk" log and looking at the IP address that is requesting each data chunk. It should match the local LAN IP address of the Replay and *not* the public WAN IP address of your router.

At this point, once your send is in progress, you can make the decision to re-update the RDDNS servers with your normal WAN IP address by going to the Replays page and selecting "Update with WAN address" manually, or you can wait for IVSm's next scheduled automatic update.

This feature is not without it's caveats and it's important you understand what they are before using it.

Bad things:
** While the RDDNS servers are updated with your local LAN IP address, you can not *start* transfers (sends). You can send other people show notifications, but they will not be able to start the download unless the RDDNS servers are updated with your router's public WAN IP address. If you encounter this issue, simply go to the Replays page and click "Update with WAN address" for the Replay that is sending the show. Have the receiver restart the download (by clicking "Canel Transfer" then "Accept Transfer"). The download should restart within 15 minutes unless the receiver is currently downloading another show.

Good things:
** Sends *in progress* are NOT affected by this.
** Receives in general are NOT affected by this.
** NOTHING has to be done to your local Replays.
** You do not have to install any additional software for this to work.

I think that about covers all the bases.

ENJOY!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
corgi1
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very cool! I updated and tried to send a show from my local guide to the IVS# of one of my RTV units. When I clicked send I got a message that said:
could not contact remote replay... show send failed!

I then went to the Replays page and updated the LAN address of my Virtual Replay and tried the send again to the IVS number of one my RTVs. This time I got the message:
could not contact remote replay... show send failed!

I tried doing a lookup on my RTV IVS number from IVSmagic and got this error:
could not contact remote replay, but rddns lookup succeeded. isn: 00004-54831-48091 ip: 65.28.147.160 port: 29001!

The entire time I have been using IVSmagic, I have never been able to lookup one on my IVS numbers from within IVSm. But I always figuered that was because I did not have a router with loopback capability or have WiRNS setup for loopback.

What part am I missing here or doing wrong?

Jerry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a bug in the way IVSmagic handles and logs loopback sends internally, but that shouldn't affect this feature.

Just out of curiousity, try doing this as a work around:

1) Update the Replay that you want the show to be *transferred to* with it's LAN address. Do a lookup, confirm. It should match IVSm's IP address.
2) Update your Virtual Replay with the LAN address. Do a lookup, confirm. It should match IVSm's IP address.
3) Send the show through the "Loopback Send" link.
4) Goto the Replay and accept the show.
5) When the transfer has gotten started (i.e. more than 1%), re-update both Replays with the normal WAN address (optional).

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
corgi1
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, those 5 steps worked!

Jerry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I know what's going on now, thanx for testing.

I'll have it fixed next build.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Scallica
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am trying to configure IVSMagic 0.9.8.11 to send a show from my PC back to my RTV. I followed the instructions in this thread. In the Replays section, I selected "Update with LAN Address" for both my RTV and my Virtual RTV (PC). When I perform a Rddns lookup on my master RTV, the IP that is returned is the IP of my PC, not the IP of my RTV.

What am I doing wrong?
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scallica wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to configure IVSMagic 0.9.8.11 to send a show from my PC back to my RTV. I followed the instructions in this thread. In the Replays section, I selected "Update with LAN Address" for both my RTV and my Virtual RTV (PC). When I perform a Rddns lookup on my master RTV, the IP that is returned is the IP of my PC, not the IP of my RTV.

What am I doing wrong?

You aren't doing anything wrong, that is correct.

Please update to the latest version (v0.9.8.13). It should fix all known issues with the new directed loopback send feature.

Also, be sure to use my first set of instructions (post #1 in this thread) when doing directed loopback sends. The secondary set of instructions was just for Jerry to do for me to test a theory. You only need to do an "Update with LAN Address" for the Master Replay (or Virtual Replay), i.e. the Replay *sending* the show. You do not have to do an "Update with LAN Address" on the Replay *receiving* the show for this to work.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
na9d

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Is there a way for IVSM to automate this updating the RDDNS servers? It seems like IVSM could capture the fact that a local send is being attempted and then automatically update RDDNS. And then once the transfer is complete, it could update to the WAN IP. I just can see people forgetting to set their IP back to the WAN and then having problems with real IVSM sends and receives...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Scallica
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:

Please update to the latest version (v0.9.8.13). It should fix all known issues with the new directed loopback send feature.

- Bob

OK, I almost got it working. If I go to Loopback, and try to send a show back to my RTV, the show appears in the Received section of my RTV. If I select accept, the transfer stays at 0% then eventually displays an error message on the RTV about network errors.

Do I need to specify a port number for my Virtual RTV (PC). If so, what port should I use?

Do I need to do any port forwarding on my router? I should not have to using this method, right?

Thanks,
Scallica
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scallica wrote:
Hairston wrote:

- Bob

OK, I almost got it working. If I go to Loopback, and try to send a show back to my RTV, the show appears in the Received section of my RTV. If I select accept, the transfer stays at 0% then eventually displays an error message on the RTV about network errors.

Do I need to specify a port number for my Virtual RTV (PC). If so, what port should I use?

Do I need to do any port forwarding on my router? I should not have to using this method, right?

Thanks,
Scallica

Well, yes, you will obviously have to setup your router correctly beforehand prior to doing a directed Loopback Send. There is nothing *extra* to do if can already send and receive shows via the Internet through IVSm.

If your Replay is showing the Show Notification in the recieved category it is probably working.

Remember that it takes up to 15 minutes before the transfer will start counting up on your Replay.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
Bob,

Is there a way for IVSM to automate this updating the RDDNS servers? It seems like IVSM could capture the fact that a local send is being attempted and then automatically update RDDNS. And then once the transfer is complete, it could update to the WAN IP. I just can see people forgetting to set their IP back to the WAN and then having problems with real IVSM sends and receives...

Yeah, true, that's the only downside of this. But like I said above once the transfer has already started counting up, you can manually update it back to your WAN address. Keep in mind this also does not affect transfers currently in progress or receives, it would only prevent someone from accepting a show initially on their Replay after the show notification has been sent. It would, however, prevent someone from receiving a show notification on their virtual Replay (or Master Replay if you are doing proxied sends).

The scheduler will also re-update the RDDNS servers with the WAN address at it's next scheduled interval, too. So, that being said, as long as your are running the Scheduler, the blackout window is at max as long as your Scheduled update interval. I have mine set to every 4 hours.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: