Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVSmagic doesn't see all the shows in DVArchive storage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: IVSmagic doesn't see all the shows in DVArchive storage Reply with quote

I recently spent some time trying to reorganize my show database to make it easier to find specific episodes. I took the time to change the date/time of the shows so they would sort in episode sequence when you pick the date column in DVArchive to sort the shows. This worked great in DVArchive, but now IVSmagic doesn't see some of the shows anymore!

If I move the "date/time modified" shows to a different DVArchive station they sometimes are found by IVSmagic again. Occasionally I have had to move them multiple times before IVSmagic would find them in the DVArchive storage directory.

Why would IVSmagic not see a show that appears in the DVArchive guide?
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: More frustration Reply with quote

OK, I moved some episodes that IVSmagic was missing from one DVArchive to another, and then back to the original. The ones I moved now appear to IVSmagic, but some of the others that were seen before are now missing in IVSmagic.

Is there a timeout in IVSmagic when scanning large volumes for showfiles? I'm talking 500+ shows in local storage.....
MaxH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the time and date is verified somewhere. The XML files have a tag like this one from one of my DVA shows:

Quote:
<RECORDING_INFO DURATION_IN_SECONDS="1918" GOP_COUNT="3836" IS_GUARANTEED="FALSE" IS_MANUALLY_RECORDED="FALSE" IS_PPV="FALSE" IS_REPEAT="FALSE" RECORDED_AT="11:30" RECORDED_ON="2005/07/02" RECORD_QUALITY="LOW" TV_CHANNEL_NUM="76" TV_CHANNEL_STATION_ID="FOOD" TV_CHANNEL_STATION_NAME="Food Network"/>

Maybe after you change the date and time, try deleting the XML file, then use DVA to re-import the file in order to recreate the XML file?

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show date and time are only kept in the XML file. The file's actual date and time don't enter into anything (they probably are the date and time that they were downloaded). Point being, there is nothing to verify. The show itself doesn't contain any information, and the only way that DVArchive, IVSmagic, or WiRNS show any show information is from whatever is contained in the XML file. It is taken as gospel...

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry is right about the XML files. IVSm takes everything it knows about the show (except for the physical file sizes) directly from the corresponding XML files. If the XML file has the wrong info, so will IVSm.

DVA has some kind of caching feature that doesn't write changed show info the instance after you edit it. You may have to wait 15 to 30 secs. Closing out DVA will force DVA to flush it's cache. Try exiting DVA then manually update IVSm's guide and see if they show up.

If you are using 2 *different* DVA instances and only one instance of IVSm, you may be getting Show ID conflicts. IVSm will scan it's assigned Local Guide directories looking for XML files. If it finds one, it will analyze it and add it to it's guide. If it comes across an XML file with a Show ID that matches a show already added to it's guide, it will skip over that XML file as part of a sanity check. IVSm can't handle conflicting Show IDs (either can DVA or WiRNS for that matter). Since you are using 2 DVA installations, there may be a show on one DVA installation that might have the same Show ID as on the other. The actual shows may or may not be the same.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I had noticed the same problem as I recently made some changes and now have a LocalGuide that is over 500 shows. However I did go look and see that one of the shows I am missing did have the same ID as another as I have gotten the two shows from different instances of DVA.

So based on what Bob said that there isn't a way to deal with this, is there a good way to prevent it from happening? And if I do find a set of shows that match can I safely just change one of the IDs?

Thanks,

Eric
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is really no way to prevent it since it is inherent in the logic. You could run 2 instances of IVSm or maybe just use one instance of DVA and use mapped drives like you are with IVSm as a workaround.

To answer your question, yes, you could manually open up and edit the XML file changing the conflicting show IDs to something different. Adding 1 (or 10 or 100) to the show ID number should do it. Make sure DVA isn't running when you manually edit the files.

After changing the show IDs, go in and manually refresh IVSm's Local Guide. They should all show up as long as the new show ID you picked doesn't conflict with something else.

The element you are looking for in the XML file is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII"?>
<DVARCHIVE_SHOW>
<REPLAY_CATEGORY ID="2" NAME="Shows" PUBLIC="TRUE" READ_ONLY="FALSE">
<COMMENT/>
<REPLAY_CHANNEL ID="1159085785" NAME="Doctor Who" PUBLIC="TRUE" READ_ONLY="FALSE">
<COMMENT/>
<REPLAY_SHOW EPISODE="The Parting of the Ways" ID="1158119997" MEDIA_TYPE="MPEG_RTV50" TITLE="Doctor Who">

... SNIP!

See the "ID" in the "REPLAY_SHOW" element? Change it to something like "1158119998" or "1158119999". You get the idea.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves me right, the show ID is based upon the date/time of the show. In my case, I was changing the date/time for sorting purposes, and it is very possible that I now have several shows with the same date/time, which means the same ID! Thanks!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ID is the original show recording date/time. When you edit the date/time info, it doesn't change the ID. The ID is the name of the file on the Replay. Once it is on your hard drive, it is fairly irrelevant...

The starting way to have duplicate IDs is to download shows from multiple Replays that were recorded at the same date/time. But, DVArchive already takes care of changing the show ID when it detects duplicates. So, then the only way to have duplicate show IDs on your hard drive is to be running multiple instances of DVArchive (or maybe running DVArchive to different download directories so that it doesn't detect the show ID conflicts). Since the show ID is irrelevant once the show is downloaded (DVArchive changes the names of the files as well, which were originally the same as the show ID) then DVArchive can change them as it sees fit...

But, when you edit the show info, it only edits the info that Max posted, the show ID doesn't change. I'm not sure that the show ID would ever change. I'm not sure what happens if you tell DVArchive to start using an additional directory which had shows with conflicting show IDs. Maybe in that case it would adjust the conflicting show IDs. But, once the shows are downloaded, the show ID is used just to have something unique to identify each show, not to tell what the shows date and time is. That's why Bob told you that you could increment it by different amounts, because it isn't used for any purpose other than to uniquely identify that show...

Henry
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have verified that my "problem" was caused by duplicate show ID's. I have also found that changing the date/time in DVArchive will change the show ID. Every time I change either field, a new show ID is assigned in the associated XML file. With this knowledge, I was able to work around my original problem.

Thanks!

Ed
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Although, DVArchive already has duplicate show ID detection, so if changing the show's date and time changes the show ID, it should have still made sure that it didn't conflict. Was there a reason that DVArchive couldn't "see" the conflicting show with the same show ID?

You might want to post something about this either in the DVArchive forum or on DVArchive.org. I don't think that changing the show information should be changing the show ID, which is the original show file name. Maybe Gerry thought it might solve some other problem...

Henry
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, DVArchive never had any problem seeing the shows, only IVSmagic burped on them. I don't see this as something Gerry would consider to be a DVArchive problem (he's very good at setting boundaries).
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

As far as I know all my shows now have different IDs and are all showing up ok in DVArchive.

The problem is now when I have IVSMagic refresh the available shows in the Local_Guide it comes back with erratic results. At times it will recognize all the shows, other times it comes back and recognizes different amounts.

I currently have 567 shows in the Local_Guide and am wondering if IVSMagic times out when it is reading through the XML files, or does it have an upper limit of how many shows it likes to see? Is anyone else having similar problems?

I don't know if there is a specific log that I can look at that would be helpful to see what is going on.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually after poking around some I'm guessing the following may have something to do with it:

Wed Oct 18 17:13:39 2006] [error] [client XXX.XXX.XX.XXX] (70007)The timeout specified has expired: ap_content_length_filter: apr_bucket_read() failed, referer: http://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX:8080/

If there is something else that might be helpful please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded a new version (0.9.8.8) that automatically fixes DVA shows with duplicate Show IDs instead of merely skipping them over.

Also, please see this updated thread about using remote SMB shares with IVSmagic:

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13535

ENJOY!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I went ahead and updated to version 0.9.8.8 and ran the updater after that, I believe I had already fixed my conflicting show IDs but if not thank you for that fix, that will definitely make a difference.

It looks however like I'm still having a timeout when I am refreshing the shows in my localguide. My localguide line looks like this:

local_guide_path=\\.host\Shared Folders\Office_V\Local_Guide

I'm setup like this becuase I'm running a windows xp pro install as a guest machine in VMWare that is running all my replay tools which is setup on a host of windows SBS 2003 that has all my raid drives. So it doesn't actually have to go out to the network to do any DNS lookups for a remote machine.

Yep, I'm still getting the same timeout issue that I was getting before, is there a place I can adjust the timeout? Or someway to help IVSMagic in scanning the drive?

Based on what nded is saying I don't think it sounds like I have that many shows, but I know I definitely have more than I've ever had in a local guide, I previously had somewhere around 200 before making some infrastructure changes, and I never had the issue at that time.

Thanks for your help.

Eric
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real timeout you can set nor is there a limit set to how many shows IVSmagic can add to it's guide. Are you sure it's a timeout issue within IVSm?

From the post you had earlier it sounds to me like it's some kind of layer 3 TCP socket timeout rather than an application based timeout (if you understand your network layers).

Have you ever had a successful refresh of your Local Guide? Just curious. I would work backwards to get to that point, then work forwards a step at a time to try to figure out what exactly is causing the problem.

Since your SMB host is Windoze based, did you disable the autodisconnect *ahem* feature on the host machine?

I don't have much experience with the latest version of VMWare with IVSmagic, but it's definitely a great product. I use it at work.

- Bob

EDIT: I lied about the timeout. As a safety net, the maximum time an HTTP/PHP request can run is 30 minutes. Honestly I don't think that is the issue here because if you can't get your Local Guide refresh to finish in under 30 minutes, you obviously have other issues.
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit I'm not real familiar with my network layers, the only reason I was thinking it might be a timeout issue is that if I pull a chunk of my shows out, then I can get a successful update. For example, last night I pulled around 200 shows out of the folder, then did a guide refresh and it took a while but it did pick up all of my shows, I then put the shows back in, I haven't yet rerun a refresh, mainly beucause I'm fairly certain it will not count any of the shows again but I'll try that tonight.

I'm fairly sure I have the autodisconnect "feature" disabled, but I will run the command again to make sure. I have noticed as I've been working with this that it seems to be only picking up shows that I am sending when I am doing the refresh will all of my shows. That would make me think it hasn't disconnected as it is still sending the file, but I could be wrong.

If there is anything you think I should check I would be happy to do so.

Thanks again for the help.

Eric
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Huh, I've never had something like that happen before. The only time I've run VMWare, I've run Linux inside it. I guess I could try to run an install of WinXP and see what happens. I'm thinking maybe something is up with the Win32 distro of Apache and the so-called virtual network interface in VMWare. In any case there is not much more I can suggest at this point until I can replicate the problem here.

Maybe some more trial and error on your system will float more clues.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
peril
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll keep playing around with some stuff and post anything else I find that I think may be helpful.

Thanks for working on this with me, it is very much appreciated.

Eric
tomcutler
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple of weeks I have started to have a problem with my "local guide" updating.
I also have had some problems sending "local guide" shows since this started.

When it works I currently now have 892 shows, when it doesn't I have 200 - 600 shows listed randomly.
If I'm using the PC during update I get less shows shown.

My local guide path has 8 directories in it. 2 internal drives and 6 external USB 2.0 drives. it has been this way for a while.

The show count hit 800 about a month ago.

I just went thru all my local guide directories and made sure all files for a single show were in the same directory. I also cleaned up some leftover files that DVA failed to delete when a show was deleted etc...
This did not seem to help. But I now have a cleaner drive.

I have also done a dir listing on all drive before doing an update to make sure drives were on and ready, i.e. not spun down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: