Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can't launch toolshell on a mac

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r60614s
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: can't launch toolshell on a mac Reply with quote

I downloaded replay toolshell on my mac (i have a macbook pro, tiger 10.4.7), but can't launch it. when i try, i get a quicktime message that says invalid file type. am i doing something wrong? also, when i try to back to the toolshell home page, i'm getting a 404 error.

also, if all i want to do is transfer something off of replay but only want to edit it, save the edited video and to watch on my computer but not burn to dvd, what do i need to do once it's on my computer? all the posts i've seen seem to concentrate on burning the files to dvd...

thanks in advance for the help.
na9d

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been able to run Replay Toolshell on my MacBookPro either. I don't get the invalid file type like you do, but if I run RTVConvert, all I get is a very quick completion (like instantaneously).

Since the tools themselves are Unix based, there must be something with the GUI that Rosetta doesn't like. Do you run BootCamp or Parallels? If so, you could run the Windows version inside one of those. I HIGHLY recommend Parallels. I'm using it all the time now since I'm in a Windoze environment at work.

As for watching on your computer, you don't have to do anything to the files. You need the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime if you want to use Quicktime and things like Front Row. It costs $19.95 and is available directly from Apple online. If you don't mind using VLC, you can use it and it's free, but I don't think it's as polished as QuickTimePlayer.

If you run QuickTime and put the MPEGs in your Movies directory, FrontRow will find them and it works REAL nice.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
r60614s
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jon. thanks for the info.

i'm new (very new) to mac's so i don't have any experience with either bootcamp or parellels.

i've already downloaded VLC and don't mind using that to watch things instead of QT. i was never a fan of QT on my pc, but there seem to be a lot fewer options on a mac.

and especially thanks for the tip on FrontRow. that is nice to know and something i didn't realize i could do. i'm guessing this will work with any video file format that QT can handle?

i'm thinking about getting DropDV and using it to convert the files, then using iMovie to edit the files. then hopefully i can burn them later if i want to. if i understand things correctly, this would eliminate the need to run it thru the RTVtools? i'd like to just transfer the show to my mac, edit it to remove the stuff i won't be watching and save it in a way that allows me the option of burning it to DVD later if i choose.

on a related note-is it possible to get a copy of a show onto a computer with dvarchive without removing the show from the RTV?

sorry for the silly questions, i'm new to doing things with my replay shows, too (besides watching them).
na9d

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems and no silly questions!

1.) Front Row is way cool. But you will need the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime to use it. But it will work with any QT playable media.

2.) iMovie will not be able to edit the MPEG-2 file. You'll have to have it converted to an iMovie compatible file type. Not sure if DropDV does that or not.

3.) If you want to easily burn to DVD, then get Toast. iDVD will not burn an MPEG-2 file either but Toast will. But you still need to run RTVConvert on the file as the Replay MPEG-2 format is slightly non-standard.

4.) If you copy a show from the Replay to DVA, it will not delete it from the Replay. A "MOVE" deletes it. A copy does not.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
r60614s
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jon. here is a link to DropDV
http://www.dropdv.com/index.html
it's supposed to work by dragging and dropping the mpeg2 file on it and it converts to DV format which (as i understand it) should allow it to be readable by imovie. then i could edit it in imovie and in the future burn it with idvd.

is imovie a good way to edit these things? or is there something better out there?

your help is greatly appreciated.
na9d

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a look at it. iMovie is a GREAT package.

Have fun!
r60614s
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be interested to hear what you think of it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: